SportsWrath

Beatty to Left Tackle

Lughead

That is really an unfair assessment. He doesn't get burned by a speed rusher once a game and when the guy next to you is banged up, it affects your play. Now when the whole line is screwed, you gotta dig to find someone who played great.

I'd describe him as adequate. Very, very good run blocker...but it seems like he gets burned by a speed rusher at least once a game, and more than ever in '09.

If we had someone who was an upgrade at LT, it would make sense to move Diehl back inside...he's probably an Pro Bowl caliber guard who gets by on effort on the outside.

That is really an unfair assessment. He doesn't get burned by a speed rusher once a game and when the guy next to you is banged up, it affects your play. Now when the whole line is screwed, you gotta dig to find someone who played great.

It might not happen once a game because not every defense has a fast RDE, but even the mediocre players whose games ride on their first step (paging Mr. Andre Carter) give Diehl fits.

Diehl never really had the feet to play at left tackle, he's just a damn good player who makes the most out of what he's got. And he's getting older.

Now, maybe its my imagination...but it really seemed to me he gave up progressively more pressure from 2007 to 2008 to 2009. Seubert's problems could be a factor as well, thats a good point. (If I were GM, replacing Seubert would be my first priority on the OL...finding a better LT and moving Diehl back inside would kill two birds with one stone.)

It's really going to depend on who we draft on how our line develops. If we draft another strong tackle, Diehl probably goes inside: if we get a guard, don't be surprised if either Beatty or Diehl becomes our right tackle.

I don't think the goal is to necessarily replace Diehl: they're probably more interested in replacing Seubert and MacKenzie, who were both pretty beat up this season and showing signs of wear.

That's not to say that MacKenzie and Seubert are done, but maybe their starting days are coming to an end.

It's really going to depend on who we draft on how our line develops. If we draft another strong tackle, Diehl probably goes inside: if we get a guard, don't be surprised if either Beatty or Diehl becomes our right tackle.

I don't think the goal is to necessarily replace Diehl: they're probably more interested in replacing Seubert and MacKenzie, who were both pretty beat up this season and showing signs of wear.

That's not to say that MacKenzie and Seubert are done, but maybe their starting days are coming to an end.

ill say that i think the goal may not be mainly to replace diehl but to get beatty on that line.

i read another article that specifically stated him and diehl would compete for the LT job.

i think when you look at all the pieces(drafting beatty round 2, his LT skillset, coaches still talking about his skillset being best fit for LT, both diehl and seuberts contracts being set up for a potential move of diehl to guard and seubert to the bench) seems they want beatty at that LT spot.

ill say that i think the goal may not be mainly to replace diehl but to get beatty on that line.

i read another article that specifically stated him and diehl would compete for the LT job.

i think when you look at all the pieces(drafting beatty round 2, his LT skillset, coaches still talking about his skillset being best fit for LT, both diehl and seuberts contracts being set up for a potential move of diehl to guard and seubert to the bench) seems they want beatty at that LT spot.

You could be right.

But if McKenzie gets injured, who do we replace him with right now? Whimper? I'd much rather see Boothe on the inside than either tackle.

The next couple of months should be interesting.

You could be right.

But if McKenzie gets injured, who do we replace him with right now? Whimper? I'd much rather see Boothe on the inside than either tackle.

The next couple of months should be interesting.

if im the coach and i start the season with beatty-diehl-ohara-snee-mckenzie, and mckenzie goes down?

then i personally would put diehl at RT and bring seubert back in to LG

if im the coach and i start the season with beatty-diehl-ohara-snee-mckenzie, and mckenzie goes down?

Fair enough.

I'd rather draft the next guard, run with Beatty-draftee-o'hara-snee-diehl (assuming Beatty beats-out Diehl), and if Diehl goes down, have McKenzie come in. That way, you're changing one position mid-season rather than two.

Then again, if we pick up a LB in FA, and McClain's gone, maybe we draft an Anthony Davis type, and my best laid plans go out the window. I could live with that.:)

The great thing about Seubert is that you can plug the guy in anywhere on the line.....he'd be the perfect reserve player.