SportsWrath

NY Giants Give DT Barry Cofield 2nd Round Tender

Mr. P

Nah, the Defensive line horrible, especially the DT position. I can't blame everything on Sheridan.

This is why I think Tuck should be moved inside with Kiwanuka and Osi at ends. If I am not mistaken with Spagnuolo Tuck played inside often and did very well. Tuck would help at the DT position and Kiwanuka gets a lot more playing time.

This is why I think Tuck should be moved inside with Kiwanuka and Osi at ends. If I am not mistaken with Spagnuolo Tuck played inside often and did very well. Tuck would help at the DT position and Kiwanuka gets a lot more playing time.

Thats what I like about the idea of the Giants playing more of a 3-4 style...Tuck would spend most of his time inside (3-4 DEs generally play inside the offensive tackles), and would clear up room to get both Osi and Kiwi (and/or Sintim) on the field simultaneously.

i dont want tuck inside more than situationally.

hes nice in there on passing downs but every down? no.

I don't think Tuck has the size to play DT in a 3-4, personally....

That's what I like about the idea of the Giants playing more of a 3-4 style...Tuck would spend most of his time inside (3-4 DEs generally play inside the offensive tackles), and would clear up room to get both Osi and Kiwi (and/or Sintim) on the field simultaneously.

But on a 3-4 wouldn't a much bigger player be needed then Tuck?

Tuck is a DE we are not moving him inside, to do so would be fucking idiotic.

After losing Strahan Tuck is easily our best DE on the team, if that fuck nut on the Cowboys didn't trip him he would of been solid the entire year.

No, no it's not. A major problem was DT last year and getting Kiwanuka on the field a lot more would be great. As a matter of fact Tuck has done well as DT but more on passing downs. Kiwanuka last year had the most QB hits in the league which shows you how much he needs to get more playing time. Also more of those hits would have been sacks if the DTs could get any pressure. None of the DTs did well last year which is a situation that Tuck could help greatly.

Hell no. Prototype DE in a 3-4 alignment. (What in the original post was so hard to understand about that?)

Tuck vaguely reminds me of Leonard Marshall.

To me more like Leonard Marshall Lite...just as strong...but lighter and more athletic.

Hell no. Prototype DE in a 3-4 alignment. (What in the original post was so hard to understand about that?)

I suppose if we draft Dan Williams, or maybe that mountain Cody since he can be had in the 2nd round, then there would be a better chance of doing more hybrid 3-4 and 4-3 alignments since Williams is the right size for 3-4. I think the major problem with 3-4 is that Kiwanuka gets screwed around again and would have to be a LB. Also isn't Fewel a 4-3 guy so I don't think things will be changing soon. I hope the draft goes LB, DT, OT with maybe DT and OT switched depending on who is best at the time.

I dunno man, but most of the replies to your post were of the same question...it was the "Tuck would spend most of his time inside"....don't you know everyone always skips the words in parentheses? :laugh:

Rereading what you posted, I get it now...he'd be lined up inside the tackle at the DE position...got ya know.

I suppose if we draft Dan Williams, or maybe that mountain Cody since he can be had in the 2nd round, then there would be a better chance of doing more hybrid 3-4 and 4-3 alignments since Williams is the right size for 3-4. I think the major problem with 3-4 is that Kiwanuka gets screwed around again and would have to be a LB. Also isn't Fewel a 4-3 guy so I don't think things will be changing soon. I hope the draft goes LB, DT, OT with maybe DT and OT switched depending on who is best at the time.

You're right, the lack of a NT makes it incredibly unlikely, no matter how good the other parts are.

I think Kiwi would be pretty good as a 3-4 OLB though. He's not great with his hand in the dirt, he seems more like a Demarcus Ware Lite to me.

Wait, hold on guys. You want to change to a 3-4 while negating our best defensive players skills in Justin Tuck. He's a defensive end, sure he can rush on 3rd down inside when he's quicker than the guard and center..but he can't do that the whole game. He isn't the prototypical 3-4 defensive end either, he can't take on two guys at the point of attack, that just not his game.

To say change him into a DT is quite possibly the stupidest fucking thing I've read on this board in quite some time. Too big for the defensive end position?! The guy is 6'5 270 pounds according to the Giants website.

Wait, hold on guys. You want to change to a 3-4 while negating our best defensive players skills in Justin Tuck. He's a defensive end, sure he can rush on 3rd down inside when he's quicker than the guard and center..but he can't do that the whole game. He isn't the prototypical 3-4 defensive end either, he can't take on two guys at the point of attack, that just not his game.

To say change him into a DT is quite possibly the stupidest fucking thing I've read on this board in quite some time. Too big for the defensive end position?! The guy is 6'5 270 pounds according to the Giants website.

Im basing what i said because of the times he played DT during the yr. It allowed Kiwi to get more playing time and he looked pretty good doin it.

I think he really goes about 285 though. He was drafted at 265, IIRC, and he's a lot thicker now than he was back then.

I don't think anybody suggested making him a DT. Not me, at least. That would be a little wacky.

Anyway, I feel sort of silly talking this up like it would really happen...sans a legit 2-gap nose tackle its all just academic.

(By the way, maybe someone can correct me on this, but I'm pretty sure a 3-4 DE isn't necessarily a 2-gap position - usually they take the G-T gap and the OLB has containment. That leaves two gaps for the NT. Thats how it usually seems to me, at least.)

Im basing what i said because of the times he played DT during the yr. It allowed Kiwi to get more playing time and he looked pretty good doin it.

Tuck rarely took snaps on the inside last year, infact the only time Kiwi was in the game was when Osi was taken out of them.

I'll even go as far to say the only time Tuck has ever been good on the inside is when Strahan was still with us. When you have Strahan, Tuck, Kiwi and Osi all lined up your doubling Strahan while leaving Tuck, Kiwi, Osi all one on one. This is why Tuck was so successful on the inside, because he had a HoF DE beside him.

I'll say it again moving Tuck to the inside is beyond fucking stupid and I'm surprised by the number of people who think it's a good idea.

So the 75-100 snaps. Great representation. He's not a defensive tackle. Period. End of Story.

Tuck rarely took snaps on the inside last year, infact the only time Kiwi was in the game was when Osi was taken out of them.

I'll even go as far to say the only time Tuck has ever been good on the inside is when Strahan was still with us. When you have Strahan, Tuck, Kiwi and Osi all lined up your doubling Strahan while leaving Tuck, Kiwi, Osi all one on one. This is why Tuck was so successful on the inside, because he had a HoF DE beside him.

I'll say it again moving Tuck to the inside is beyond fucking stupid and I'm surprised by the number of people who think it's a good idea.

My bad, I meant to say it WOULD give Kiwi more playing time.

So the 75-100 snaps. Great representation. He's not a defensive tackle. Period. End of Story.

Hey, it was a glimpse none the less. :smartass: I know hes not a tackle, but we were hurtin last yr at DT, it makes you start thinking.