SportsWrath

Free Agency

socalscholar

I was mulling over the free agent class and found some realistic options in FA for the Giants.

Shayne Graham - would definitely improve the kicking game.

Kenoy Kennedy - as far as some depth at safety.

Cory Redding, Ryan Pickett, Vince Wilfork, or Richard Seymour would provide some depth

on the interior line that was desperately need it last year.

Adewale Ogunleye & Will Smith, you can't have too many pass rushers.

I think you can rule out Wilfork--I doubt NE lets him get away.

If they can do it with Seymour they sure as hell could with Wilfork.

I personally think Seymour would fit better in the Giants versatile mold, but I would take either in a heartbeat.

I would still like to see someone who can stretch the field like Brandon Marshall or Vincent Jackson.

I know Marshall's a head case but it opens up so many options on Offense.

And, let's face it, we're going to need a lot of offense the next couple of years.

We've been a sub .500 team since idiot shot himself.

I would still like to see someone who can stretch the field like Brandon Marshall or Vincent Jackson.

And, let's face it, we're going to need a lot of offense the next couple of years.

I'm still thinking Mario is our guy, he always seems to be 10 yards behind the defense....he just needs to spend the next 3 months doing nothing but catching passes.

No love for Hakeem the dream Nicks? I expect HUGE things outta him starting next yr.

No love for Hakeem the dream Nicks? I expect HUGE things outta him starting next yr.

love the guy. i like all the giants receivers not named moss- but we could use a guy who gets double covered all game and prevents the 8 in a box D

I was mulling over the free agent class and found some realistic options in FA for the Giants.

Shayne Graham - would definitely improve the kicking game.

Kenoy Kennedy - as far as some depth at safety.

Cory Redding, Ryan Pickett, Vince Wilfork, or Richard Seymour would provide some depth

on the interior line that was desperately need it last year.

Adewale Ogunleye & Will Smith, you can't have too many pass rushers.

We have a big time receiver in Hakeem Nicks. What he did in less than a full season AS A ROOKIE should tell anyone that he is absolutely going to be a stud. The guy can play... he is our big time receiver. And with the season that Steve Smith had, I think we are in very good shape going forward. However, I have concerns about Mario in the slot because he dropped or bobbled to many passes this past season, while also having trouble with field awareness (not getting his feet in on multiple occasions). I still think he's worth retaining, though. But because of the success of the passing game this year, and what we saw of Nicks and Smith, I think committing big dollars to a big time free agent receiver is not the wisest place to spend. I would support spending a moderate amount of money on getting a solid veteran to come in and compete for the 3rd WR spot... and we cannot forget Ramses Barden, either, depending on his development.

As far as the original names named... Seymour is intriguing but only if the team decides to part ways with Umenyiora, which I don't see happening. Seymour would not come here and play off the bench. Same rationale goes for Ogunleye and Will Smith. We have Kiwi, Osi, and Tuck, and we'll probably draft another DE. Wilfork I would take in a heartbeat, but I don't think he's a necessity, because I like Canty, Alford, and Cofield. Wilfork is one of the best run stopping DT's in the NFL, however, and he would likely command a king's ransom.

The one guy on Socal's list that is the most intriguing to me is Kenoy Kennedy. And I like just about any replacement kicker you could mention.

We have a big time receiver in Hakeem Nicks. What he did in less than a full season AS A ROOKIE should tell anyone that he is absolutely going to be a stud. The guy can play... he is our big time receiver. And with the season that Steve Smith had, I think we are in very good shape going forward. However, I have concerns about Mario in the slot because he dropped or bobbled to many passes this past season, while also having trouble with field awareness (not getting his feet in on multiple occasions). I still think he's worth retaining, though. But because of the success of the passing game this year, and what we saw of Nicks and Smith, I think committing big dollars to a big time free agent receiver is not the wisest place to spend. I would support spending a moderate amount of money on getting a solid veteran to come in and compete for the 3rd WR spot... and we cannot forget Ramses Barden, either, depending on his development.

As far as the original names named... Seymour is intriguing but only if the team decides to part ways with Umenyiora, which I don't see happening. Seymour would not come here and play off the bench. Same rationale goes for Ogunleye and Will Smith. We have Kiwi, Osi, and Tuck, and we'll probably draft another DE. Wilfork I would take in a heartbeat, but I don't think he's a necessity, because I like Canty, Alford, and Cofield. Wilfork is one of the best run stopping DT's in the NFL, however, and he would likely command a king's ransom.

The one guy on Socal's list that is the most intriguing to me is Kenoy Kennedy. And I like just about any replacement kicker you could mention.

Nicks 2009:

SPLITREC YDS AVG LNG TD

2009 47 790 16.8 68 6

That is one hell of a rookie season, especially considering he didn't start until what was it, midway through the year? Later? As long as he keeps his focus and keeps working, the man will be the greatest Giants WR ever. (I'm not sure if thats outrageous or an understatement, given the Giants history at WR.)

And Seymour would be a DT in a 4-3, wouldn't he? I know he goes over 300 lbs.

nicks is neither tall enough or fast enough to be "the guy" that Eli is used to and the offense was built around. He's a housmenzadah or toomer type. they flourish when they are #2. i do hope bardens is that guy but this ain't Cal Poly so he needs to have learned a great deal.

nicks is neither tall enough or fast enough to be "the guy" that Eli is used to and the offense was built around. He's a housmenzadah or toomer type. they flourish when they are #2. i do hope bardens is that guy but this ain't Cal Poly so he needs to have learned a great deal.

I disagree...Nicks tops out at 6', but he's all arms and hands, he plays at more like 6'3". And he's got football speed too...not straight line speed...football speed. I think he's a better WR than Plaxico or Toomer ever was.

I think Kenoy Kennedy would give the Giants an under the radar fix at the Safety position now at a reasonable cost and more flexibility moving into the draft.

Seymour would be my first choice, but it sounds like he will get tagged in the next week.

I would not mind Ryan Pickett either.

Those would be reasonable contracts that give a vast improvement over the play of the DT and S positions last year.

As far as the receivers, we already have too many young talented receivers. I could see Manningham getting traded to move up and get top ten pick in this draft. Nicks and Smith will be the starting receivers for the foreseeable future.

Nicks is fast enough, polished enough, smart enough, and physical enough to be "the guy" on any NFL team.

The epiphany... Nicks is a beast and should be equally as good as Anquan Boldin.

Good enough? I think so!

Anyway, there will be no receivers coming in via the draft or free agency, but I could see one getting traded away and another cut.

After all, rolling stone gathers no Moss.

I hope you guys are right about Nicks- we sure had no deep threat this past year. Btw, socal- Moss is a free agent, I think.

I have no doubt about Nicks as I had none about Smith. They are very good athletes, not elite, but their attention to detail as professionals is probably better than 99% of any young wide receivers in the league.

When you combine the mental preparation with very good athleticism and elite route running, then you find pro-bowl caliber players, not just pro.

For Moss, Exactly!

The Giants being the rolling stone.

I have no doubt about Nicks as I had none about Smith. They are very good athletes, not elite, but their attention to detail as professionals is probably better than 99% of any young wide receivers in the league.

When you combine the mental preparation with very good athleticism and elite route running, then you find pro-bowl caliber players, not just pro.

For Moss, Exactly!

The Giants being the rolling stone.

rolleyes.gif

of more timely importance, you think we can take the NL West this year?

Plax oh Plax.. I wish the Giants sign him as soon as he gets out of jail.

I disagree...Nicks tops out at 6', but he's all arms and hands, he plays at more like 6'3". And he's got football speed too...not straight line speed...football speed. I think he's a better WR than Plaxico or Toomer ever was.

Nicks is heady and physical... he gets seperation by getting corners to bite on moves and by out-physicalling (which I'm pretty sure is an NFL-invented word) them for the ball.

But he's not very fast.