SportsWrath

NY Giants Release Linebacker Antonio Pierce

Mr. P

via @SalaryCap101 By releasing Antonio Pierce, #Giants are avoiding $4.75M due to Pierce in 2010 salary; his dead money remaining on NYG's team salary is 640K

There actually is no salary cap ramifications this year (unless they hammer out a contract which is unlikely) so it's going to be a very interesting this off season. I think there will be many overpaid players that now can easily be cut hitting the market. I know one of the ideas I've read is possibly cutting Jacobs. Pierce being dropped is hardly a surprise considering the Giants didn't seem willing to negotiate his contract before and now his injury.

"They obviously wanted to move in another direction. I have no animosity," Pierce said by phone. "If anything, I’m excited about it. One thing about it – I’m at peace with it, because I know for five years I gave this organization, this city, everybody, I gave everything I had. I don’t regret anything. Any situation, even the negative with the Plaxico situation."

"I talked to Coach Coughlin, I talked to Jerry Reese, I talked to as many people as I could talk to before leaving the building. I told them I have nothing but love for the Giants and I always will," Pierce said. "There’s no animosity at all. I’m very grateful. I’m very appreciative of the opportunity Ernie Accorsi gave me five years ago."

"If there’s anything anybody wants to know about me, it’s that I know for a fact I left a stamp on this organization, this city, my teammates," he said. "I know I made guys better, I know they learned from me. I know I taught them lessons and I learned lessons from them. It was perfect. It maybe didn’t end the way I wanted it to end. If anything’s disappointing, it’s that. Am I angry? I’m not angry. I’m very positive about everything. I feel that my career is far from short and over. I just have to do it elsewhere."

I dont think AP reads sportswrath so Im not going to thank him here.

I dont think anyone is surprised by this move.

That said, I like AP and hopefully he goes to an NFC East team so we can enjoy torchng him multiple times twice a year.

Send him to the Eagles!

...Actually....the Dolphins seem to like ex-Giants...

I dont think AP reads sportswrath so Im not going to thank him here.

I dont think anyone is surprised by this move.

That said, I like AP and hopefully he goes to an NFC East team so we can enjoy torchng him multiple times twice a year.

I thought you were a Dolphins fan nowadays.

My thoughs:

- Thank you AP for all the years you gave us. You were an integral part of our defense for so many years.

- It's become clear that at least age has caught up with AP, much like any other athlete (Toomer comes to mind). The team did the right thing here as we need new talent at the position.

- I don't think AP will be signed by any team... at least as a starter. Personally I think he should hang 'em up but that's only my opinion.

- How the fuck does Pdboub get all the updates seconds after they're announced? I'm beginning to think pdoub works for the Giants FO.