SportsWrath

NY Post: Romeo to Chiefs? Gilbride to interview with Raiders?

JMFP

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/giants_candidate_crenell_joins_chiefs_3LpRHW6sylzTTgr5Hj3wEI

One-time Giants assistant and former Browns head coach Romeo Crennel will not be the new Giants defensive coordinator. Crennel has been hired to run the Chiefs defense.

Crenell never interviewed with Tom Coughlin but the Giants did express some interest.

One candidate Coughlin has already interviewed, former Bills head coach Perry Fewell, was in Chicago to speak with head coach Lovie Smith about the Bears defensive coordinator job. Fewell is considered the front-runner.

Fewell, once Coughlin's defensive backs coach with the Jaguars, met last Thursday with Coughlin with the understanding he was in the running for the Bears defensive coordinator job. Fewell worked in St. Louis and Chicago for Smith and it appears the two will work together again.

Another interesting possibility: Mike Zimmer. His contract will soon expire with the Bengals. Zimmer successfully ran the defenses for the Cowboys and Falcons and did a solid job this season in Cincinnati. Zimmer may attract some interest around the league as a potential head-coaching candidate.

Tom Cable is expected to be fired as head coach of the Raiders and if he is, Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride is again likely to get an interview. Gilbride last year interviewed for the job.

If you could choose between being DC for Kansas or NYG, why the fuck would you choose Kansas?

Arnt the GM and HC guys of the Chiefs from the Patriots when Romeo was DC there? Or something like that. He probably wants to go back to an GM he knows, thats he's worked with before anyways. Since Pioli(sp) there is trying to turn the Chiefs into the mini-Pats.

Not to mention NY isnt the easiest place to coach, if he comes in and has a fail season like Sheridan he will more then likely be on the street again after his first season. Where as in KC the expectations are so low since their in rebuild mode he could ride acouple sub-par season but I do agree though the better opportunity is here in NY.

Edit. Also isnt KC already set up in a 3-4 defense?

Arnt the GM and HC guys of the Chiefs from the Patriots when Romeo was DC there? Or something like that. He probably wants to go back to an GM he knows, thats he's worked with before anyways. Since Pioli(sp) there is trying to turn the Chiefs into the mini-Pats.

Not to mention NY isnt the easiest place to coach, if he comes in and has a fail season like Sheridan he will more then likely be on the street again after his first season. Where as in KC the expectations are so low since their in rebuild mode he could ride acouple sub-par season but I do agree though the better opportunity is here in NY.

Edit. Also isnt KC already set up in a 3-4 defense?

I don't know what scheme they run, I'll pay that if it's right, but the other two reasons are just excuses for taking the easy, lazy, low-expectation job. If that's the case then he's exactly the type of guy we don't need here.

Seriously, you could take over a D stacked with talent that has been drastically under-performing or you could take over a crappy D already playing as well as it can. I know which one the coach hungry for success would opt for.

I don't know what scheme they run, I'll pay that if it's right, but the other two reasons are just excuses for taking the easy, lazy, low-expectation job. If that's the case then he's exactly the type of guy we don't need here.

Seriously, you could take over a D stacked with talent that has been drastically under-performing or you could take over a crappy D already playing as well as it can. I know which one the coach hungry for success would opt for.

Well you see it all the time in the NFL with coaches and players leaving for teams that are less talented or not in a as good of a position to win as other teams that make them offers in the same off season. I mean look at Spags he left for a Rams team that is going to be rebuilding for atleast the next 3-6 years when he knew he could stay with the Giants as DC(most highly paid to boot) and eventually take the HC job when Coughlin stepped down in acouple years, potentially taken over for a team that is still on a good playoff run. However he chose the lesser talented team. Why? It could of been for alot of reasons but it's the same thing in this case. Maybe the Chiefs are promising Romeo complete control over scheme and players, maybe Pioli(sp) is promising him that if the current HC doesnt work he can take the HC job. Like I said it happens all the time in the NFL, usually the deciding factor is money for players but for coaches it could be a number of things. Maybe the fat ass just doesnt like New York food.

I'm sure we'll atleast bring him in for an interview and shoot him a decent coaching offer.

If you could choose between being DC for Kansas or NYG, why the fuck would you choose Kansas?

That's why I think the NY Post is pulling shit out of its ass. Seriously the guy was still on vacation till Yesterday and he knows he's in demand. Why the fuck would he already decide to go to KC without weighing all his options first. The Giants haven't even interviewed the guy yet.

Maybe he wants to re-kindle his bromance with Weiss and Pioli?

Scott Peoli is once again shafting the Giants. As stated above, he's creating the Midwestern Patriots.

Working with his former Patriot colleagues, in an existing 3-4 system, on a team with multiple high draft picks might be what's swaying him.

Still though, I can't see how KC as a franchise is more inviting than the Giants....what the fuck have the Chiefs won recently?

Well you see it all the time in the NFL with coaches and players leaving for teams that are less talented or not in a as good of a position to win as other teams that make them offers in the same off season. I mean look at Spags he left for a Rams team that is going to be rebuilding for atleast the next 3-6 years when he knew he could stay with the Giants as DC(most highly paid to boot) and eventually take the HC job when Coughlin stepped down in acouple years, potentially taken over for a team that is still on a good playoff run. However he chose the lesser talented team. Why? It could of been for alot of reasons but it's the same thing in this case. Maybe the Chiefs are promising Romeo complete control over scheme and players, maybe Pioli(sp) is promising him that if the current HC doesnt work he can take the HC job. Like I said it happens all the time in the NFL, usually the deciding factor is money for players but for coaches it could be a number of things. Maybe the fat ass just doesnt like New York food.

I'm sure we'll atleast bring him in for an interview and shoot him a decent coaching offer.

Sure, but Spags moved UP the coaching ladder. Romeo is moving DOWN. If he ever wants a shot at being a HC again he needs to be successful, and KC is not the best shot for that by a long margin. He'd just need the Giants D to perform mediocre and let the O continue to carry the team and he'd be the guy that took the Giants back to the play-offs. He can do the best job possible in KC and still be far from seeing any post-season action. It's just nuts.

Sure, but Spags moved UP the coaching ladder. Romeo is moving DOWN. If he ever wants a shot at being a HC again he needs to be successful, and KC is not the best shot for that by a long margin. He'd just need the Giants D to perform mediocre and let the O continue to carry the team and he'd be the guy that took the Giants back to the play-offs. He can do the best job possible in KC and still be far from seeing any post-season action. It's just nuts.

I agree.

Checking the papers this morning, it still appears the Giants have a shot at Romeo, but it looks like KC is the front runner.

I think it would require some "Mara Magic" to get Romeo on board. I was thinking Coughlin-successor the other day, but after checking, it seems they very close in age, and who knows when Coughlin wants to hang up the gloves?

The Giants fanboy in me wants Pepper Johnson, but that performance against the Ravens won't be going on his resume. Still though, he has the intangibles that Carl Banks discussed. And I'm convinced that the biggest factors separating Spags from Sheridan was people skills and injuries.

It's always darkest before the dawn, but I'm not getting my hopes up for either Romeo or Pepper at this point.

From what I've checked on Fewell, he could be more like Spags (young, aggressive, charismatic).....he, Haslett, or Dick Jauron could be acceptable consolation prizes.

Although Fewell could very well be going to the Bears....the local papers here in Chicago are talking up his Lovie Smith connections.

Checking the papers this morning, it still appears the Giants have a shot at Romeo, but it looks like KC is the front runner.

It's all about getting the most possible $. That's all. If the guy just got back from vacation, hasn't interviewed with KC or the Giants and even though his agent said that RC is "very interested" in the Giants, why would KC be the front runner? They just want to make sure the guy gets a huge contract that's all.

I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to get the feeling we're going to wind up with a no-name DC, and possibly lose our OC as well. Although his contract isn't up, which is a small comfort.

Yours in despair,

Fish

You and me both. If Gilbride does leave then I am definitely going to be chicken little. All new coordinators is not going to be fun. That's the price of success though, ask the Patriots.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2010/01/crennel-to-kc-time-to-re-fewel.html

Romeo to Chiefs, Haslet to Redskins, Zimmer to stay put, Fewell to Chicago.....????

No Pepper Johnson news.

All around, pretty much blows.

Wow, I only wanted Crennel.. and the fucking Redskins are making moves... makes you wonder why the fuck our FO are dragging their fucking feet :ranting2:

Seriously did they fucking have to wait till the last game to fire Sheridan? Fucking assholes. :furious:

Wow, I only wanted Crennel.. and the fucking Redskins are making moves... makes you wonder why the fuck our FO are dragging their fucking feet :ranting2:

Seriously did they fucking have to wait till the last game to fire Sheridan? Fucking assholes. :furious:

The one guy (Pepper Johnson) that would jump for the job is the one guy that the Giants haven't contacted. Instead, they're chasing dudes that aren't interested. Mah-velous.

The one guy (Pepper Johnson) that would jump for the job is the one guy that the Giants haven't contacted. Instead, they're chasing dudes that aren't interested. Mah-velous.

No it's not that.. the Giants aren't chasing anyone. Fuck what Crennel is saying.. what he and his agent are saying... he Giants can you bid higher? Or.. why the fuck wait till the end of the season when the dude is on vacation.. and when the fuck did RC have the time to meet in KC when he was on vacation?

With all due respect to PJ, I just want someone who's done it before, I don't want to go thru another Sheridan.

I agree completely...maybe he just believes deep down he is not up to the job. Maybe the self doubt is making him pick the "safer" choice. :confused:

Kansas City is actually a pretty good place for him to start. The whole organization has been rebuilt. He's coming off of hip surgery, might not even be interested in the HC position anymore. Take the KC job with people you know very well and who you've coached with in the past 10 years, a defense that you can mold, and low expectations over the next couple of years with some nice draft picks. Its a good place to land.

Kansas City is actually a pretty good place for him to start. The whole organization has been rebuilt. He's coming off of hip surgery, might not even be interested in the HC position anymore. Take the KC job with people you know very well and who you've coached with in the past 10 years, a defense that you can mold, and low expectations over the next couple of years with some nice draft picks. Its a good place to land.

it's kind of like the blues brothers there "we're getting the band back together"

Romeo just wants to get his resume back on track after dismal seasons in Cleveland. A couple decent seasons in KC would do it for him. The other major factor could be that KC sucks balls anyway. So the expectations are very low so any mild upgrade with a bunch of draft picks is enough for him to be 'successful' as per people's perception. Such is not the case with the Giants where the expectations are monumental. And maybe his confidence is down a little and he would rather have familiar shoulders to cry on if required like Pioli and Weiss. Plus maybe he isnt too comfortable working 'under' Hitler Coughlin.

Either way, Im disappointed that other teams are aggressively going to the major DCs available while we are sitting with our thumbs up our asses. At this point, Id love Zimmer with the option of him upgrading to HC when Coughlin retires. He really had the Bengals playing lights out for him. Zimmer, Pepper, Jauron - go for these guys NOW!!

STOOPID IMGRATES!