SportsWrath

NY GIANTS Articles and Video

jerseygiantfan

Adderall emerges as new 'greenie,' as NY Giants' Tyler Sash, Will Hill and Andre Brown have blamed positive tests on the attention-deficit drug

In Brown’s case, he reportedly was granted a therapeutic use exemption (TUE), meaning he demonstrated he had a medical need to use Adderall.

By Kevin Armstrong AND Christian Red / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 10:47 PM

Updated: Friday, November 30, 2012, 10:56 AM

Print

andre-brown.jpg

Rich Schultz/Getty Images

Giants running back Andre Brown, who is out for the year after breaking his leg against the Packers on Sunday, avoids penalty from NFL with medical exemption after testing positive for Adderall.

During the waning days of spring training in Port St. Lucie six years ago, then Mets closer Billy Wagner - never shy with an opinion - was asked to weigh in on the new ban on stimulants and MLB's plans to test players for them.

"The difference will be huge," Wagner said then. "For everyday players (the ban) will make it very tough to play a game on the East Coast and have to fly out to the West Coast to play a day game. I think you'll see the level of play drop a little bit."

Wagner's teammate at the time, starting pitcher Steve Trachsel, went as far as to say that amphetamines - or "greenies" as they have been known for decades - had "been around forever" and had been handed out by certain organizations.

One of baseball's worst-kept secrets was finally being addressed as part of the collectively-bargained drug-testing program; whether the problem has been resolved in the ensuing years, however, is another issue.

Since amphetamines joined the banned substances list in 2006, a new "greenie" appears to have emerged as the go-to drug for increased awareness and performance - the attention deficit drug Adderall.

In the past year, 10 NFL players have been linked to the use of Adderall, the prescription stimulant commonly associated with treating ADD and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Seattle Seahawks cornerbacks Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner face possible four-game suspensions for positive drug tests, and there have been reports both used Adderall. Tampa Bay CB Eric Wright was suspended four games for Adderall use, as was his former teammate, Aqib Talib, who is now with the Patriots. Talib said he "made a mistake by taking an Adderall pill without a prescription" after his suspension in October.

Three Giants have blamed Adderall for positive drug tests this year, including safeties Tyler Sash and Will Hill, and running back Andre Brown. Brown won an appeal and did not have to serve a suspension.

Giants tight end Martellus Bennett says players need to exercise common sense when it comes to what they put into their bodies.

"It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what you can and can't do. It happens over and over," Bennett said. "To me, it's on the players to take care of our bodies. This is your job. You should know the guidelines. It's like going to school and not knowing the school dress code.

"Everybody sees people get suspended for taking Adderall, so why do guys keep taking it?"

According to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the league is not required to publicly disclose what a player tests positive for when a violation of the drug policy occurs, and critics have said that players who test positive for steroids can then claim they took Adderall, to reduce the stigma of the transgression.

In Brown's case, he reportedly was granted a therapeutic use exemption (TUE), meaning he demonstrated he had a medical need to use Adderall. Major League Baseball, meanwhile, has seen a generous spike in TUEs granted for ADD since the amphetamines ban went into effect before the 2006 season. That year, 28 TUEs for ADD were granted, but the following year, the number shot up to 103, and has stayed consistently above 100 in subsequent years - 106 for 2008, 108 in 2009, and 105 in 2010 and 2011. The results for the 2012 report of MLB's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program have not yet been released.

Rob Manfred, MLB's executive VP of labor relations, told the Daily News that it is "ridiculous" to compare the percentage of major leaguers who request TUEs for Adderall -- roughly 10% of major league player population the last few years -- with the general population.

Manfred cited a recent Harvard study to underscore his point. "The incidents for Adderall use we see are not out of line with what you would expect with people in this age group -- male, ages 18 to 38," said Manfred. "It's unfair to compare that with a general population, male and female, different ethnic backgrounds, with ages going up to 100."

But Dr. Gary Wadler, a professor at Hofstra-North Shore LIJ School of Medicine and a past chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency prohibited list board, says amphetamines "have been the quintessential performance-enhancing drug going back to the ‘50s," adding that it's easy to see why athletes might take Adderall for an edge on the playing field.

"There are a lot of properties of Adderall - it masks pain and fatigue, increases arousal, which in sports is known as ‘being in the zone,' it improves reaction time, alertness, and may increase acceleration speed," says Wadler. He added that during all of his years as an internist, "I can count on one hand the number of ADHD cases. It's not that common a diagnosis."

Wadler says the high number of TUEs granted by MLB for ADD and ADHD definitely "raises red flags" and that Adderall use has also become more prevalent in the NFL. Six years ago, Wagner said that the energy drink Red Bull and coffee consumption was "gonna skyrocket" after the amphetamines ban because of the pressure to play at an elite level over a 162-game season.

But many professional athletes seem to be reaching for something stronger than a cup of morning joe -- whether it's for a legitimate medical use or to enhance their performance. Giants linebacker Mark Herzlich concurs with Bennett, and says it's time for players to wise up in the wake of the rash of Adderall-related suspensions throughout the NFL.

"Ignorance isn't really an excuse," said Herzlich. "Now everyone knows."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/adderall-drawing-red-flags-new-greenie-article-1.1210636?pgno=1

• 3 weeks later...

NY Giants suffer humiliating loss to Atlanta Falcons, drop out of first place in NFC East

FALCONS 34, GIANTS 0: Big Blue had no answers on defense for the Falcons’ big-play offense and Eli Manning short-circuited the Giants with two early interceptions.

Comments (63)

By Ralph Vacchiano / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Sunday, December 16, 2012, 4:01 PM

Updated: Monday, December 17, 2012, 1:46 AM

Print

giantsweb17s-1-web.jpg

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Eli Manning and the Giants are a disaster in Atlanta against the Falcons.

FALCONS 34, NY GIANTS 0

ATLANTA — There is no use in trying to explain it anymore. The Giants won’t even bother. One week ago they looked like the best team in their conference.

Then the next they suffer their first regular-season shutout in 16 years?

MYERS: TRAGEDY PUTS GAME IN PERSPECTIVE

“I didn’t see this one coming,” Justin Tuck said after the Giants were hammered by the Atlanta Falcons, 34-0, on Sunday. “I thought we were a team that was on the rise. Obviously after today’s performance we’ve got a lot of questions to answer.”

PHOTOS: FALCONS MAKE GIANTS LOOK SMALL IN ATL

And they have to do it quickly, because they’re running out of time.

Thanks to their complete no-show in the Georgia Dome on Sunday, the Giants (8-6) lost not only their ability to claim they are a true Super Bowl contender, but they also lost the lead they had been clinging to in the NFC East. Both the Redskins (8-6) and Cowboys (8-6) won on Sunday, forcing a three-way tie in the division.

Thanks to the tie-breakers, the Giants have technically fallen all the way to third place.

giantsweb17s-2-web.jpg

Scott Cunningham/Getty Images

Two early interceptions by Eli Manning kill the Giants' momentum.

There’s no way they saw that coming six weeks ago, before they soiled a 6-2 start by losing four of their next six games. And they couldn’t have imagined such a fall even one week earlier when they hammered the New Orleans Saints, 52-27, at the Meadowlands.

From 52 to points to 0? In just seven days? It was the worst shutout loss for a defending Super Bowl champion in league history. And the Giants hadn’t been shut out since a 23-0 loss to the Carolina Panthers on Jan. 8, 2006 in the wild-card playoffs, and they hadn’t been shut out in a regular season game since a 24-0 loss at Philadelphia in 1996.

“I’m definitely disappointed in our performance,” said safety Antrel Rolle. “We definitely took our foot off the gas, for whatever reason.”

“I don’t know what to tell you,” added defensive end Osi Umenyiora. “When you play like the way we played last week, and to play like this this week? It’s always going to be a mystery to me.”

giantsweb17s-4-web.jpg

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Lawrence Tynes (l.) blows a field goal attempt.

Even with the Giants playing shorthanded, without running back Ahmad Bradshaw, safety Kenny Phillips and cornerback Prince Amukamara, it had the potential to be so much more. The Giants promised to be inspired in a game they had dedicated to the memory of all the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newton, Conn. But whatever passion they had fizzled out when Eli Manning threw the first of his two interceptions on the second play of the game.

That one, by his old nemesis Asante Samuel, led to touchdown run by Michael Turner. Then, after a suddenly shaky Lawrence Tynes missed a 30-yard field goal, the Falcons (12-2) moved right down field and got a 12-yard touchdown pass from Matt Ryan (23 of 28, 270 yards, 3 TDs) to Tony Gonzalez. Before the Giants could blink they were in a 14-0 hole.

And they couldn’t do anything to dig themselves out of it. Tom Coughlin tried, three times ordering the Giants to go for it on fourth-and-short inside Atlanta territory “to engender a lift for our sidelines (since) it was all going one way.”

giantsweb17s-3-web.jpg

ERIK S. LESSER/EPA

Eli gets sacked - again.

Not surprisingly, all three attempts failed, making this a complete reversal of last season’s wild card playoff game. In that 24-2 win by the Giants, they stopped the Falcons on fourth-and-short twice. By the time Ryan opened the second half with a 40-yard touchdown pass to Julio Jones (six catches, 74 yards, two touchdowns) right over rookie cornerback Jayron Hosley, a rout that both Mathias Kiwanuka and Jason Pierre-Paul called “embarrassing” was on.

“They just played better than us, flat out,” Umenyiora said. “They dominated us on both sides of the football. I have no reason for it. It’s very frustrating We had a chance to really do something special.

“That chance isn’t over with yet.”

No it’s not. In fact, the Giants remarkably still control their own playoff destiny, despite a miserable showing from Manning (13 of 25, 161 yards, 2 INTs), an uninspiring game from Wilson (12 carries, 55 yards), and another bad performance by a defense that got pushed around for 394 yards. Two wins still gets the Giants into the playoffs as at least a wild-card team.

Sure, their backs are against the wall after their ugly effort in Atlanta. But as everyone knows, the Giants have played well with their backs against the wall.

“That don’t mean nothing,” Pierre-Paul said. “Forget all that. I’m tired of hearing it. There’s no ‘Well, we’ve been here before.’ We’ve got to go out and play.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-show-signs-life-falcons-article-1.1221562#ixzz2FKZRiePi

NY Giants' mainstays Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, Corey Webster and David Diehl may be on their way out in 2013

Eli Manning and Coughlin are the cornerstones of the program and they will be around for a while, but some big names could be gone next year.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, December 24, 2012, 11:00 PM

Print

giants.jpg

Ron Antonelli/New York Daily News

Osi Umenyiora (l.) and Justin Tuck (r.) are two big names that may not be back with Big Blue in 2013.

The list of Giants active for both of the magnificent Super Bowl championships the last five seasons is down to the Core 11, a special group that will shrink even further in 2013.

To steal one of Tom Coughlin’s favorite expressions, the Core 11 will regret looking back on the collapse of 2012 as an “opportunity lost,” not only because they were positioned perfectly to make a serious run at being the first Giants team to ever win titles back-to-back, but in New York sports history they would have been romanticized like the Core Four of the Yankees.

This is likely the last run they make together and it’s not going to end pretty. Eli Manning and Coughlin are the cornerstones of the program and they will be around for a while, but some big names could be gone next year.

Osi Umenyiora takes it for granted he will be gone. Will the Giants be willing to pay Justin Tuck $4 million next year when injuries have turned him into a declining player with just three sacks? Can the Giants possibly justify paying Corey Webster, who’s had a terrible season, the $7 million he is owed in the final year of his five-year, $43 million contract? David Diehl, tied with Umenyiora as the longest-tenured Giant with 10 years of service, could be gone. Ahmad Bradshaw is a productive player the few times a year he is healthy, but his foot and knee problems make him too unreliable to be the No. 1 back.

Manning and the pass rush carried the Giants into the playoffs and then to the Super Bowl last season, but Eli has been far from elite the second half of the season and Umenyiora, Tuck and Jason Pierre-Paul have not supplied the heat all season.

Umenyiora threw the entire team under the bus Monday when he tried to defend the pass rush – down from 48 sacks last year to 32 this year – after he was asked if it was less likely he will be back in 2013 because of the losing.

“Well, maybe we didn’t get 50 sacks like we did last year, but was the offense playing well? Was the special teams playing... There’s nowhere that was up to the standards that we set last year,” he said. “If they’re going to make changes, it has to be wholesale changes. Everybody has to leave. There has to be changes for everybody because nobody played above average this year.”

That’s a fairly strong statement on the way out the door.

The NFL is an unpredictable league, so the Giants can’t pack their bags and make plane reservations for warmer weather just yet. The playoffs are still a remote possibility, although if they do get in, it’s hard to imagine them winning a wild-card game on the road when this team of one-time road warriors has lost its last four games away from home, three of them blowouts.

However, if they beat the Eagles and the Bears lose in Detroit, the Vikings lose in Green Bay and the Cowboys lose or tie in Washington, then the Giants are in.

That’s an awful lot of ifs.

Here’s another: If you’re a card-carrying member of Big Blue Nation, then you gotta believe. The Packers need to beat the Vikings to clinch a first-round bye. The Redskins need to beat the Cowboys to win the NFC East. The Lions need to win because they would surely enjoy knocking Chicago out of the playoffs. In each case, including the Giants, a hated divisional opponent must be beaten.

“The worst feeling you can have is if all of those teams lose and we don’t handle our business and we lose,” Manning said. “You never know what can happen. It’s a crazy game. A crazy sport. Obviously, the scenarios are very possible. It’s not like a bunch of huge upsets have to happen.”

It’s going to be hard for the Giants to forgive themselves for letting this season slip away.

There’s a reason back-to-back championships are rare. Complacency sets in. Human nature dictates that once you have achieved the ultimate in such a physical, violent sport, it’s difficult to build up the same intensity to make the sacrifices to do so again. After the Giants reached their usual 6-2 at the halfway point, they were the best team in the NFL, but then they were not the same team the last two months, losing five of seven games.

So many of them have one ring. Enough of them have two. Is that enough? When adversity strikes, does that inner drive to rise above it get drowned out by whispers of, “I already got mine?”

Have the Giants become too satisfied? “I can speak for myself when I say, ‘Absolutely not,’ ” said Antrel Rolle, who has one ring. “I play the game full speed and to the best of my abilities. I’m not going to be perfect on every play. But I’m striving for that. I can’t speak for everybody else. I don’t know.”

The NFL is a game of next man up. Next year, there could be a lot of new men replacing some familiar faces.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/myers-super-run-coming-giants-article-1.1227007#ixzz2G3XvK3OT

“Well, maybe we didn’t get 50 sacks like we did last year, but was the offense playing well? Was the special teams playing... There’s nowhere that was up to the standards that we set last year,” he said. “If they’re going to make changes, it has to be wholesale changes. Everybody has to leave. There has to be changes for everybody because nobody played above average this year.”

I agree with Osi. He's absolutely correct.

“I can speak for myself when I say, ‘Absolutely not,’ ” said Antrel Rolle, who has one ring. “I play the game full speed and to the best of my abilities. I’m not going to be perfect on every play. But I’m striving for that. I can’t speak for everybody else. I don’t know.”

I absolutely agree with Antrel, he's grown on me.

Well I'll say this. Osi Umenyiora could have actually tried to be the defensive end he was before he got hurt a few years ago and decided not to. Osi Umenyiora was busy being a backup and coming on passing downs and there weren't many of those when teams were busy getting 5 yards on first and second down. Justin Tuck is having a down year and Osi Umenyiora could have stood up and taken up the slack and instead he's talking about his concerns as to where he will be playing next season. I hope he decides to retire because every team in the NFL watches how he played this year and decide he's just not worth the roster spot.

• 1 month later...

NY Giants David Diehl

SCRAM Time

After DUI Guilty Plea

Exclusive0211-dave-diehl-1.jpg

Forget Super Bowl rings ... New York Giants star David Diehl just earned some new hardware -- a SCRAM bracelet ... after pleading guilty to DUI ... TMZ has learned.

As we reported, Diehl was busted last June in Queens after he crashed into a parked car -- and according to the D.A. his blood alcohol level was .182 ... more than twice the legal limit in New York.

Diehl pled guilty today to aggravated DUI and impaired driving.

Diehl was ordered to wear a SCRAM bracelet -- to monitor his alcohol consumption -- for 90 days and was placed on a 6-month conditional discharge program ... meaning he'll avoid jail if he keeps his nose clean.

The two-time Super Bowl champ was also ordered to pay $1,200 in restitution and $300 in fines.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/02/11/new-york-giants-david-diehl-dui-guilty-plea/#ixzz2KeV3NdVA

Visit the TMZ Store: http://tmzstore.com

• 4 months later...

Giants offseason report: Despite recent titles, finishing an issue

Mike Garafolo, USA TODAY Sports 2:09 p.m. EDT July 1, 2013

1371836289000-USP-NFL-New-York-Giants-Minicamp-1306211339_4_3_rx404_c534x401.jpg?87cc7ae5b5e3d133be9f113f907a13faa9f8741e

(Photo: Jim O'Connor, USA TODAY Sports)

Story Highlights

• Team must better carry first-half momentum into end of season

• Coach: Eli Manning still has room for improvement

• DE Jason Pierre-Paul's availability among team's pressing questions

Two Super Bowl titles in the last six seasons is a run that should have the New York Giants' nucleus feeling good about what those players and coaches have accomplished. And while they carry a tremendous amount of pride about doing twice what most players don't get to do once, there's a feeling in East Rutherford, N.J., that they should have done it three or even four times.

Last season, the Giants again came out of the gate strong, starting 5-2 for the eighth time in nine seasons under head coach Tom Coughlin. But as they do every season — even the ones in which they've won the Super Bowl — the second half of the season was just an attempt to survive and somehow sneak into the playoffs.

They were unable to do so because of losses in their four final road games, including blowout defeats to the Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens in Weeks 15 and 16.

Coughlin has his theories about those late-season swoons and says every season is different. Maybe, but the Giants schedule is often back-loaded to set up interesting matchups for TV late in the season. Take one peek at their schedule after a Nov. 10 game against the Oakland Raiders and one sees the potential for some tough games — four matchups with playoff teams from last season and a meeting with the Dallas Cowboys.

This team has been in position to make a run into the playoffs in every season since Coughlin became coach in 2004 and has not won a postseason game outside of its twin four-game runs in the 2007 and 2011 seasons.

Coughlin isn't getting any younger, and neither is Eli Manning, 32. If they both retire with two Super Bowl rings, it will be quite the career accomplishment. But with all of the chances they've squandered and about five more years left in Manning's career around a core of veteran players, the Giants surely will feel they should have some more Lombardi Trophies by the time Manning is gone.

Quarterback

Offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride scoffed at the notion Manning simply has to maintain his skill set at this point in his career, noting there's always room for improvement. Gilbride wants Manning to make better decisions. Manning threw only 15 interceptions in 2012, but his 59.9% completion rate was his lowest since 2007.

Running back

The release of Ahmad Bradshaw means it's time for 2012 first-round pick David Wilson to play a huge role. Wilson had issues as a rookie, including a fumble on opening night that shook him up, but he also showed plenty of ability and promise. He and Andre Brown will vie for the No. 1 role. And don't rule out the possible return of Brandon Jacobs. (WTF-JGF)

Wide receiver

Victor Cruz's contract situation will be resolved eventually, with some hope inside the organization that it'll get done before the start of training camp. Hakeem Nicks wants a new deal, too, and will be motivated to prove he deserves one. And then there's Rueben Randle, the second-round pick who didn't break out as a rookie last year until his two-touchdown performance in Week 17.

Tight end

Brandon Myers was added as a free agent after Martellus Bennett signed with the Chicago Bears. The Giants usually don't need their tight end to do too much in the passing game, so a solid pass catcher and decent blocker can more than do the job. Myers, who led the Oakland Raiders with 79 catches last season, figures to be that guy.

Offensive line

Left tackle Will Beatty is back with a new five-year, $38.75 million contract. Right tackle David Diehl has always been a battler, so he won't easily yield his job to rookie first-round pick Justin Pugh. Right guard Chris Snee is healthy after an injury-marred season, and left guard Kevin Boothe has re-signed. Center David Baas has to stay healthy.

Defensive line

Jason Pierre-Paul had spinal surgery in June, and the hope is he'll be back by Week 1 alongside Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka. (Osi Umenyiora signed with the Falcons.) Inside, the Giants added two former Philadelphia Eagles tackles (Mike Patterson and Cullen Jenkins) to help stop the dive, which is the first step to handling the read-option looks they'll see from the Eagles, Washington Redskins and others.

Linebacker

Dan Connor is the new starter in the middle after signing as a free agent from the Cowboys. The outside spots are wide open, with former top-10 picks Keith Rivers and Aaron Curry having solid shots to get their careers back on track. Speedy Jacquian Williams, who played a big role as a rookie during the Super Bowl run in 2011, will contend for a job.

Secondary

There's depth at cornerback with the return of Aaron Ross after one season with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Now, if only Terrell Thomas, who hasn't played a game since 2010 because of repeat anterior cruciate ligament injuries, can stay healthy. Corey Webster simply has to play better than he did in 2012. That was the message the team sent by making him take a pay cut. On the bright side, 2011 first-round pick Prince Amukamara played well down the stretch. At safety, Stevie Brown steps in for departed Kenny Phillips to start alongside Antrel Rolle.

Special teams

Kicker Lawrence Tynes turned down a multiyear deal last season, so the team moved on by signing veteran Josh Brown. Tynes was a consistent, clutch presence and could kick well directionally, which Coughlin and special-teams coordinator Tom Quinn like to do. And, frankly, he also had 58 touchbacks the last two seasons, whereas Brown has never had more than 15 in a season.

Punter Steve Weatherford followed up a career-best 39.2 net yards a punt in 2011 by topping it at 39.4 last year after earning a five-year deal before the season.

Coaching staff

Coughlin will be 67 on opening day, but that's not a standard 67. He's still working out every morning and bringing the same energy to practice he's brought in recent years. Could he make it to 70 and still be on the sideline? Absolutely. And as long as the Giants are competitive, he'll likely be welcome to stick around.

http://www.usatoday....ughlin/2446699/

Police arrest woman accused of robbing NY Giants’ Shaun Rogers in Miami

Police said Saturday that Subhanna Beyah was arrested on fugitive from justice charges in Queens. Detectives from the Miami Beach Police Department asked the state police Thursday to help locate Beyah.

Comments (24)

By Ebenezer Samuel / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Sunday, June 30, 2013, 3:16 PM

Updated: Sunday, June 30, 2013, 5:59 PM

Print

gtheft1s-1-web.jpg

Uncredited/AP

Shaun Rogers claims that $400,000 worth of jewelry went missing from his Miami hotel room.

Subhanna Beyah might have gotten away with it — if she hadn't come to New York.

In March, the 25-year-old woman allegedly robbed Giants defensive tackle Shaun Rogers of more than $400,000 worth of jewelry, one of a string of high-end jewelry thefts she allegedly made in Florida. On Saturday in New York, however, she was finally caught.

New York State police told the Associated Press that they arrested Beyah on fugitive-from-justice charges in Queens. She was wanted for multiple larcenies involving stolen jewelry and cash. She was arraigned Sunday morning on a fugitive warrant.

RELATED: GIANT ROBBED OF 500G WORTH OF JEWELRY: REPORT

Rogers, 34, was her most high-profile alleged victim. In March, he'd gone out clubbing with some friends and met a woman at Club Liv in Miami. He brought her back to his Fontainebleau Hotel room around 7 a.m., according to a report, and placed his jewelry in a room safe.

When he awoke at 12:30 p.m., the safe was jammed shut, and Rogers' jewelry was gone. Among the missing items, according to CBS Miami, were diamond earrings (valued at $100,000), two watches ($160,000), a gold necklace and pendant ($50,000), gold bracelets ($60,000), and a diamond Cuban necklace and pendant ($70,000).

It's unclear if those items have been recovered.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/woman-arrested-giant-jewelry-theft-article-1.1386486#ixzz2Xt7yzmCe

Aaron Hernandez arrest reflects poorly on NFL, but Justin Tuck thinks Giants rep league well

While no Giant has been arrested this offseason, linebacker Michael Boley was “secretly arrested” on Feb. 8 in Etowah County, Ala., according to TMZ.com, just three days after the Giants cut him.

Monday, July 1, 2013, 10:27 PM

Print

172081570.jpg

Ilya S. Savenok/Getty Images for Gillette

Justin Tuck says veterans must set a good example, especially in wake of the NFL’s recent troubles.

Justin Tuck knows the NFL has an image problem, but the Giants' defensive captain knows there's not much he can do to fix it.

“I think you always worry about the image of the NFL,” Tuck said on Monday, after a Gillette Fusion ProGlide event at Story in Manhattan. “But the only way I can control that is the things that I do. I can't control what other people do.”

Tuck believes the Giants have reflected well on the league, but according to a database kept by the San Diego Tribune, 29 players have been arrested since the Super Bowl.

The arrest of Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez on murder charges has owned the spotlight, but there have been plenty of other lowlights. New Jersey product Ausar Walcott, a rookie linebacker with the Browns, turned himself into police last Tuesday night and was arraigned on attempted murder charges (and later cut by Cleveland).

The week ended with Colts safety Joe Lefeged, a former Rutgers standout, getting arrested in Washington early Saturday morning. According to The Associated Press, Lefeged is being held without bond on a weapons charge. He faces a preliminary court hearing on Tuesday.

While no Giant has been arrested this offseason, linebacker Michael Boley was “secretly arrested” on Feb. 8 in Etowah County, Ala., according to TMZ.com, just three days after the Giants cut him. He pleaded guilty to child abuse as part of a plea agreement.

Tuck said he and other veteran players must set stronger examples for young players in the locker room.

“All I can do is control what Justin Tuck does, and help the younger guys understand that hey, they're role models and they have to watch how they act,” he said.

“It's always predicated on how we (veterans) act. The first thing most rookies do is watch. That's exactly what I did when I came in. You try to mimic what they (veterans) do. That's the best way we can teach them as vets, living the life, living the way that we're supposed to live.”

Report: NY Giants LB Connor arrested

070613-NFL-Cowboys-Dan-Connor-BR-PI_20130706223039203_660_320.JPG

Dan Connor, who played last season in Dallas, was reportedly arrested in Philly.

FOX Sports

Share This Story

Updated Jul 6, 2013 11:55 PM ET

110512-Laces-Out-SW-PI_20121105200301895_202_97.JPG

NEED SOME? GET SOME

Feed your NFL addiction! Come feast on all the news in our updating blog.

According to a report, police have arrested New York Giants linebacker Dan Connor at the Philadelphia International Airport for carrying a switchblade inside his luggage.

NBCPhiladelphia.com reports Connor was arrested after a TSA officer saw the knife on an X-ray machine and notified the Philadelphia police.

Connor, a Penn State graduate from Wallingford, Pa., was reportedly charged with possession of an offensive weapon.

Connor, who was drafted in 2008 by the Carolina Panthers and played last season with the Dallas Cowboys, signed with the Giants in March.

Tagged: Giants, Dan Connor

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Parcells calls the NY Giants win over the 49ers in NFC title game his most memorable victory during Hall of Fame career

The Parcells legacy, built on two Super Bowls with the Giants and later stints with the Patriots, Jets, Cowboys and Dolphins, will be honored in Canton on Aug. 3 when he is put into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Comments (3)

By Seth Walder / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 3:04 PM

Updated: Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 9:58 PM

Print

parcellsweb18s-2-web.jpg

George Rose/Getty Images

Bill Parcells (c.) wins a pair of Super Bowls during his time as head coach of the NY Giants.

Bill Parcels won two Super Bowls, but the soon-to-be-enshrined coach says his Giants’ 1990 NFC Championship Game win in San Francisco stands out to him the most.

“I had quite a few that are very memorable. If you pin me down I would probably say the ’90 championship game in San Francisco,” Parcells said Wednesday on his Hall of Fame conference call. “San Francisco was going for their three-peat, we had lost our quarterback, Phil Simms.”

The Giants, underdogs against Joe Montana's 49ers without their quarterback, had previously lost, 7-3, to the 49ers in Week 13 in a grueling Monday night game in San Francisco. That made it all the more unlikely for Parcells and his Giants to beat the Niners in the playoffs, without Simms, in a game in which they didn’t even score a touchdown.

giants-49ers-rivalry.jpg

RICH PEDRONCELLI/AP

Lawrence Taylor (56) , who Bill Parcells gives the highest compliment, helps lead the NY Giants to a 15-13 win in the NFC championship game on Jan. 20, 1991.

“There were so many great players playing in that game, that’s what makes it memorable to me,” Parcells said of the 15-13 win that sent Big Blue to Super Bowl XXV, where the Giants beat Buffalo.

Parcells’ legacy, built on two Super Bowl victories with the Giants and later stints with the Patriots (whom he coached to Super Bowl XXXI), Jets and Cowboys, will be honored in Canton on Aug. 3 when he is inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

One of Parcells’ “great players” in those 1990 playoffs was legendary linebacker Lawrence Taylor. Parcells gave the highest compliment to the retired Giant on Wednesday, saying if he could start a franchise with any player he has ever seen, he would choose LT, “because I know he’s going to be there every Sunday and try and his best to win the game.”

parcellsweb18s-3-web.jpg

Eric Risberg/AP

Bill Parcells is carried off the field after the NY Giants beat the Broncos 39-20 in Super Bowl XXI.

As for his coaching job Parcells deems the best, that came with the other New York team. Though he had plenty more successful seasons, Parcells said he did his best coaching in 1999, when he was able to turn a 1-6 Jets team that lost quarterback Vinny Testaverde to injury in the season opener into an 8-8 squad by season’s end.

Parcells, 71, touched on a host of other topics during the call. He said that the Dolphins would have been better off if he hadn’t left the team in 2010 when he was an executive.

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...6#ixzz2ZOxv29rI

Great article...here are some of the choice comments:

A great coach...hands down. Unfortunately he always had one eye looking for a better deal..money..power somewhere else. After the '90 Giants Super Bowl win, he had the 3 year Bill rule. Wherever he went, you got 3 years max. out of him before heading out to a bigger paycheck.

No doubt a great coach when he stuck to what he did best and stayed grounded.

However, at some point, his success clearly went to his head and turned him into an egomaniacal carpetbagger who was more interested in showing how tough and impersonal he could be toward players and team officials. That proved to be his undoing and why he never quite duplicated his success from an earlier time.

His people skills diminished, as did his results, and in many ways, it tarnished his legacy.

• 3 weeks later...

JPP focused on returning at 100 percent

Posted 53 minutes ago

eisen_70x70.png Michael Eisen Senior Writer/Editor @GiantsEisen Read Eisen's Mailbag

•  

DE Jason Pierre-Paul said today he is focused on coming back when he is 100 percent healthy

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Jason Pierre-Paul said today he is not obsessing about returning in time to play in the Giants’ regular-season opener on Sept. 8 in Dallas. Rather, he is focused on rehabbing and getting better one day at time.

“At the end of the day, you know that your coaches and general manager and head coach want you out there, to help the team out, but, it’s all on me,” said the two-time Pro Bowl defensive end. I’m focused on coming back 100 percent, not being like 85 percent. And I know I’m going to be a big factor of the defense, so I’d rather come back 100% and that’s it.

RELATED NEWS Terrell Thomas returns to practice

CB Terrell Thomas and Guard Chris Snee were activated off of PUP...

Wilson not fixated on starter title

David Wilson was listed along with Andre Brown as first team RBs...

Eisen's Mailbag: Hall of Fame chances

Michael Eisen ansers fan questions on current Giants chances of getting in...

jpp_sidebar.jpgJPP Sack Photo Gallery “I already know that the D-Line that we have here is going to go out and get the job done. And I’m very confident that Kiwi (Mathias Kiwanuka), (Justin) Tuck, all of them get the job done and that’s all it takes. They don’t really need me out there right now and I’m just going to focus on my recovery. Everything will be all right.”

Pierre-Paul was asked to react to a comment made by general manager Jerry Reese, who told WFAN this morning, “We expect him to hopefully be back, ready to go for the Dallas game.”

The fourth-year pro underwent surgery on June 4 to repair a herniated disk in his back. He has been diligently rehabbing and is currently on the physically unable to perform list.

“He’s done exactly what he’s been asked to do, and I’d say he’s making good progress,” coach Tom Coughlin said.

Pierre-Paul is not waiting for a team physical to tell him he’s ready to starting practicing.

“It’s not really the doctor’s decision,” Pierre-Paul said. “I say it’s not the doctor’s decision anymore because it’s basically on me. It all depends on my recovery and how my back feels and if I can go out there and practice with the team. But I’m going to have to get a couple practices in before, if, I decide to come back before the first game. I already know I’m going to be taking on two guys, double team, triple team maybe, so I’m not in a rush to come back and put myself in that position.”

JPP has no apparent target date for his return. The feeling in his back will let him know when the time is right to step on the field.

“It’s basically how my back feels,” Pierre-Paul said. “And right now I’m still at that stage that I know I can’t go out there and perform. So I’m not going to try and rush back. Like I say, it’s up to me and my recovery is coming along and right now my recovery is coming along perfectly fine. I’m getting better every day, like I said, and it’s basically up to me, you know? When I feel comfortable going out there and taking on blocks and ready to run like the wind again, that’s when I’ll be out there. But right now, I’m just taking it day by day.”

• 1 month later...

Costly turnovers hurt NY Giants in season-opening loss to Cowboys in Dallas

Eli Manning throws three interceptions, David Wilson fumbles twice as Giants give Cowboys and Tony Romo 36-31 victory.

Published: Sunday, September 8, 2013, 11:57 PM

Updated: Monday, September 9, 2013, 3:06 AM

Print

nfl.jpg

MIKE STONE/REUTERS

Eli Manning throws for 450 yards but three interceptions as the Giants turn the ball over six times in a 36-31 season-opening loss to the Cowboys.

COWBOYS 36, GIANTS 31

ARLINGTON, Tex. – For four years, The House That Jerry Built was the Giants’ home away from home, a massive and glitzy stadium that Eli Manning once christened with his signature in the road locker room, and where the Cowboys could never topple their rivals.

Then came Sunday night, when it became Big Blue’s House of Horrors.

Now, the Giants’ perfect 4-0 record at AT&T Stadium (formerly Cowboys Stadium) is no more, thanks to a 36-31 loss that should never have been as close as the final score. Somehow, despite six turnovers, the Giants stayed in this game, all the way until just 1:50 remained.

That’s when Eli Manning, down 30-24, on first down from his own 48, threw a little flare to Da’Rel Scott, who was playing only because David Wilson had been so bad he was benched. Manning’s pass bounced off Scott’s hand and into the waiting arms of Brandon Carr, who raced in for a game-capping TD that snuffed out the Giants’ comeback.

usa-american-football-nfl.jpg

LARRY W. SMITH/EPA

Starting tailback David Wilson can’t hold on to the ball as he loses two fumbles. The Giants also muffed a punt in the game.

PHOTOS: GIANTS THROW AWAY WEEK 1 GAME TO COWBOYS AS TURNOVERS COST TEAM

This is not how you start a season in which you’re chasing a Super Bowl. It’s not that the Cowboys were that good, but the Giants were simply that bad at the beginning and at the very end. Carr’s interception was turnover number six (three interceptions, two fumbles and one muffed punt).

“Six times, we gave the ball away... That’s sloppy, sloppy football,” said an irate coach Tom Coughlin. “You can’t win turning the ball over, that’s the bottom line.”

Manning began in Mark Sanchez-like fashion, getting intercepted on the game’s first offensive play, when he dropped back from his own 20, trying to set up a screen to Wilson. But Cowboys defensive end

DeMarcus Ware had tossed left tackle Will Beatty aside and engulfed a

giants-cowboys-football.jpg

Tony Gutierrez/AP

Jason Witten burns the Giants again with 70 yards and two touchdowns. Here he is taken down by Giants’ Ryan Mundy.

pass that should never have been thrown.

RELATED: VACCHIANO: GIANTS' WILSON FUMBLING AWAY HIS CHANCE

These aren’t the kinds of mistakes contenders are supposed to make, even though the defense somehow found a way to erase a few errors. The Giants forced the Cowboys into a three-and-out on that possession, and they’d do it a possession later, too, after Wilson, who entered his second pro season with such high expectations, got a serious dose of reality.

A season ago, he opened his career by fumbling his second carry against the Dallas Cowboys at home. This time, he took his first carry on first-and-goal from the Cowboys 8, looking to cap a solid Giants drive. But he coughed the ball up, one of his two fumbles in the game.

His second, in the third quarter, was even more costly. It was scooped up by Barry Church and returned 27 yards for a TD that gave the Cowboys a 27-10 lead. Wilson didn’t play again after the second fumble.

nfl.jpg

MIKE STONE/REUTERS

Tony Romo (c.) goes for 263 yards, two TDs and one INT. Here Romo is protected by Jason Witten as Justin Tuck (l.) rushes.

“He can be better,” Coughlin said. “He can run with two hands on the ball like everyone else.”

And yet, somehow, amid so much Jets-like ineptitude, the Giants rallied after Wilson hit the bench. The sleepwalking offense had shown signs of life late in the first half, just before the two-minute warning, when Victor Cruz (five receptions, 118 yards, 3 TDs) had done what he does best, getting behind the Cowboy ‘D’ and catching a picture-perfect Manning deep ball for a 70-yard score to close the deficit to 13-10.

RELATED: GIANTS INSIDER: COWBOYS' JERRY A SORE WINNER

That play, in Cruz’s mind, had almost erased the three turnovers that had come before it. Manning’s two early interceptions almost seemed to disappear, and so did Wilson’s first fumble.

“I thought that was the typical Giants story of how we come back,” Cruz said. “Kind of how we always are. We get down here, and we have to crawl back and fight back. And we make some big plays and the pendulum swings.”

nfl.jpg

MIKE STONE/REUTERS

Victor Cruz catches five balls for 118 yards and three scores, bringing in this one with a hand in his face.

And there were more big plays. Manning would throw for 450 yards and four TDs, and Cruz, Hakeem Nicks and Rueben Randle all topped 100 receiving yards to keep Big Blue in the game.

Coughlin did his best to talk about how the Giants still had “good leaders,” and how “they’re saying all the right things.”

He talked about how they had “fought back.”

But he also understood exactly what had happened on Sunday night.

“That doesn’t ease the pain of giving a game away,” Coughlin said. “And that’s what I thought we did.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-grip-commit-tos-loss-boys-article-1.1449547#ixzz2eOfps9R7

NY Giants' David Wilson fumbles twice against Cowboys, has Tom Coughlin seeing red

Second-year back has the speed and moves to be an NFL running back, but there is no way he will stay on the field if he turns the ball over.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, September 9, 2013, 2:17 AM

Print

giants-cowboys-football.jpg

LM Otero/AP

The Dallas Cowboys celebrate recovering a fumble by Giants running back David Wilson (on ground), one of two turnovers from the young speedster.

ARLINGTON, Tex. – A year ago, when he fumbled just the second time he had touched the football, cameras caught what might have been a tear running down David Wilson’s cheek. This time, he was better at hiding his emotions.

Unfortunately for him, he just wasn’t much better at holding onto the ball.

And so, one year later, the Giants are exactly where they were with their 2012 first-round pick – desperate to play him and see his game-breaking ability in action, but now again afraid to actually put him on the field. He is their best option in a very depleted running back corps – maybe even their only option.

But after two fumbles and some very spotty pass protection in the Giants’ 36-31 opening night loss in Dallas on Sunday, he may have literally fumbled his chances with the Giants away.

“They’re not going to play unless they can hang onto the ball,” a very upset Tom Coughlin said after the Giants’ six-turnover disaster. “It’s demoralizing to the whole team.”

PHOTOS: GIANTS THROW AWAY WEEK 1 GAME TO COWBOYS AS TURNOVERS COST TEAM

Nobody knows Coughlin’s feelings on that better than Wilson, who was basically sent into a three-month timeout last season after fumbling early in the Giants’ season-opening loss to Dallas last year. He began that game as the No. 2 running back behind Ahmad Bradshaw. It was mid-December before he was a part of the offense again.

This year, it’s doubtful Coughlin can afford to put him in the doghouse for that long, simply because of who else is on the roster, and who isn’t. Andre Brown is out until Week 10 with a fractured leg and Da’Rel Scott had issues of his own after he replaced Wilson in the second half. The only other running back on the roster is rookie seventh-round pick Michael Cox, whom the Giants don’t think is ready.

So unless they sign a veteran – like Jonathan Dwyer or Beanie Wells, whom they worked out last week, or Tim Hightower, whom they looked at in June – they’re left with Wilson, a 22-year-old dynamo with speed and moves that leave his coaches drooling in practice. They spent the summer dreaming about how he could transform their offense.

But even he knows he can’t do that when the ball is on the ground.

“It was a tough situation to be in,” Wilson said after his abbreviated seven-carry, 19-yard night. “I’m just going to keep working hard. I’m at the bottom now. Nowhere to go but up.”

RELATED: GIANTS CAN'T GET A GRIP, COMMIT SIX TOS IN LOSS TO 'BOYS

usa-american-football-nfl.jpg

LARRY W. SMITH/EPA

If Wilson is going to be the Giants main back, he must stop putting it on the ground.

Wilson’s eyes were dry when he talked, but he was in no mood to risk it, so he cut the interview off after only a few questions. One of them, though, was about his thoughts on being benched after the second fumble.

Said Wilson: “I can’t blame him for that.”

No he can’t, because Coughlin has never hid his disdain for turnovers. It’s the No. 1 thing on the list of things likely to make his head explode. He’s said over and over that he believes there is no more important factor in determining the outcome of a game than turnover ratio. And he’s said over and over he won’t play players who fumble, no matter who they are.

Coughlin wouldn’t commit to Wilson as his future starter after the game mostly because his head was too filled with rage to think clearly. The Giants committed those six turnovers, including three in the first six minutes and 10 seconds. Basically, behind Wilson’s two fumbles, three Eli Manning interceptions and a muffed punt, they threw away the game.

“Six times we gave the ball away,” Coughlin said. “Six times. I’m totally disappointed and embarrassed by that. That’s sloppy football.

RELATED: GIANTS INSIDER: COWBOYS' JERRY A SORE WINNER

“You can’t win when you turn the football over. That’s the bottom line.”

With a deeper roster – such as if they had re-signed Ahmad Bradshaw or not cut veteran Ryan Torain at the end of camp – that could’ve been Wilson’s epitaph as he spent the next few months in exile. But even Coughlin conceded that, despite what must be a healthy fear of Wilson now, “we need him.” He promised that “we’ll get him right” one way or another.

Still, Coughlin also praised Scott, who had five carries for 23 yards, five catches for 51 yards and no fumbles. But Scott also ran a bad route and tipped a Manning pass off his fingertips to Dallas’ Brandon Carr for a 49-yard ultimate game-winning interception TD return.

Of course, Scott was never supposed to be in there. Just nine days ago, on cut-down day, he summoned his family to keep him company, fearing the coaches were going to call to tell him of his release. Now he’s the Giants’ No. 2 RB, possibly the No. 1.

Such is the state of the Giants’ running back corps, which may be the only reason why Coughlin turns back to Wilson next week against the Denver Broncos. For what it’s worth, Coughlin sounded like he still believes Wilson can do better.

“He can,” Coughlin said. “He can run with two hands on the ball just like anybody else.”

Post a Comment »

Comments

See All Comments [Discussion Guidelines ] <a class="show-more-comments" href="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/vacchiano-giants-wilson-fumbling-chance-article-1.1449638?comment=true">Show more comments

Ads by Yahoo!

• 2 weeks later...

FOX and NY Giants radio announcers rip everyone on team but Tom Coughlin

The Giants have received soft treatment from a media still allowing the team to live off Coughlin’s two Super Bowl wins. Will the harsh assessment from the booth filter down, extending to the media covering the team? Or will the sorry state of the NFL East take the edge of this embarrassing defeat?

Comments (3)

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Sunday, September 22, 2013, 10:58 PM

giants-panthers-football.jpg Bob Leverone/ AP Photo

Tom Coughlin should listen to what the broadcast crews are saying about his team, who suggesting that they are giving up.

Related Storiesinform.jpg

The 38-0 beating Carolina put on the Giants Sunday was topped only by the whipping the TV/radio booths put on Tom Coughlin’s team.

The coach was about the only one the voices spared. Coughlin’s free pass has yet to expire.

Yet on TV (Fox) and radio (Giants Radio Network), the criticism extended far beyond physical or mental breakdowns, which may indicate someone is not paying attention to the coach. The rips centered on effort and lack of heart. Even during their well-documented second-half-of-the-season collapses, the Giants were rarely accused of laying down like dogs and quitting.

On Sunday, no one used the word quit, but that’s what they meant to say. Coughlin might want to sync up the sound as he “studies” the coach’s tape. Then he would hear Carl Banks say: “The Giants are totally accepting this beatdown.”

Then Coughlin might hear the disgust in Banks’ voice in the fourth quarter when he said: “Be tired of getting your butt whipped. Do something! They never even tried to get chippy. You don’t see it on either side of the ball. ... You can’t get beaten to a pulp and just take it.”

RELATED: NFL WEEK 3 ROUNDUP: BEARS ROLL PAST WINLESS STEELERS, BROWNS STUN VIKINGS

Fox’s Brian Billick and Thom Brennaman dropped the hammer on the Giants early. Near the end of the second quarter, Brennaman called the Giants offensive line’s performance “an unmitigated disaster.” Billick took it a step further.

“The body language, the mentality, the emotion of the game is just not there for the Giants,” Billick said. “Tom Coughlin said ‘we need for something to happen.’ They had that ‘something to happen’ and couldn’t do anything with it.”

The voice’s words only served as captions for pictures revealing a Giants team with no pulse. Whether it was Eli Manning hanging his head, or rubbing his eyes in disbelief. Then there were multiple close-ups of hollow-eyed Giants sitting quietly on the bench. Anger took a holiday.

The Giants have received soft treatment from a media still allowing the team to live off Coughlin’s two Super Bowl wins. Will the harsh assessment from the booth filter down, extending to the media covering the team? Or will the sorry state of the NFL East take the edge of this embarrassing defeat?

Those subscribing to the later likely don’t recognize, as Banks did, this: The Giants are a team in need of a heart transplant.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/raissman-review-giant-beatdown-booth-article-1.1464348#ixzz2fiBXFAS5

• 2 weeks later...
Giants acquire Beason from Panthers
091211-NFL-Panthers-Jon-Beason-PI_201109
Beason had microfracture surgery last October.
storypage_APlogo_01.png
Share This Story
Updated Oct 5, 2013 1:04 AM ET
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)
nflonfox_show_thumb_20100511194049_202_9 INSIDE INFORMATION

Looking for the latest news from around the NFL? Our Insiders got you covered.

The New York Giants announced Friday they've acquired three-time Pro Bowl linebacker Jon Beason from the Carolina Panthers in exchange for a late-round draft pick in 2014.

The Giants said Beason passed his physical.

''It's amazing,'' Beason said in a Giants press release. ''It doesn't happen (often) with midseason trades. But the one place I said if I wasn't in Carolina where I wanted to be was with a great organization like the Giants with a winning tradition, leadership, a 4-3 scheme where I can come in right now. I think I can really come out and impact the season.''

Beason didn't have much of an impact with the Panthers this season.

He started the first two games but was benched prior to Carolina's 38-0 win over the Giants on Sept. 22. He played only one snap on defense in that game.

Beason broached the topic of wanting to play more with Panthers coach Ron Rivera in a private meeting Thursday. The Panthers then began looking for a new team for Beason.

''The trade benefits both the team and Jon,'' Rivera said. ''We'll obviously get something out of it and it gives Jon an opportunity to get on the field right now.''

110512-Laces-Out-SW-PI_20121105200301895 NEED SOME? GET SOMEFeed your NFL addiction! Come feast on all the news in our updating blog.

It's expected that Beason will challenge Mark Herzlich for a starting spot at middle linebacker, providing he can show improvement with his knee injury. The Giants rank 21st in overall defense and 28th against the run.

The Giants host Philadelphia on Sunday and then face Chicago on Thursday.

''I'm a smart player. I learn fast,'' Beason said in the release. ''Being a (middle) linebacker, a lot is on your plate. I think I actually thrive in that position. I'm going to get with coach as long as it takes and as fast as I can get it as soon as I want to play.''

To make room on the roster the Giants placed veteran guard Chris Snee on injured reserve with a hip injury.

Beason has been slowed by microfracture surgery last October. Chase Blackburn, a longtime Giant who signed with Carolina this offseason as an unrestricted, replaced Beason in the starting lineup and was more effective.

Beason started all 64 games in his first four seasons with the Panthers from 2007-2010 and was given a six-year, $51.5 million contract extension before the 2011 season.

But his career has been plagued by injuries ever since.

072713-NFL-PhiEagles-Jeremy-Maclin-PI-JA PAIN TRAINJeremy Maclin was the first big name to fall. What other NFL players have suffered major injuries in 2013?

The 28-year-old Beason tore his Achilles tendon in the 2011 season opener at Arizona and was lost for the season. He returned last season, but only played in four games before landing on IR again with shoulder and knee issues.

He then lost his starting middle linebacker spot to rookie Luke Kuechly.

Beason agreed to a restructured contract this past offseason. He started the first two games this year at weak side linebacker, but struggled in pass coverage.

After benching Beason the Panthers got their first shutout since 2008, sacking New York quarterback Eli Manning seven times and forcing three turnovers in a dominating defensive performance.

Rivera said the plan was to stick with Blackburn as the starter moving forward.

''Jon was very professional throughout the situation,'' Rivera said. ''Having Chase start in front of him, he was tremendous about it. He truly was professional and I'm not just saying it. He was on board with everything.''

Rivera said letting Beason go was ''very tough because of what he has meant to this organization, what he's meant to this team and what he's meant to the linebackers.''

The coach said he informed the rest of the players of the news before a walkthrough practice Friday.

''It's a part of this business but it just (stinks) that it is,'' Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith said. ''I don't think he did anything wrong. He did the best he can with the circumstances. When he was on the field he played well. When he was IR, he still pushed guys.''

Smith said he has immense respect for Beason as a person and a teammate.

''When your friend gets traded, I don't care how neat things get done, you always think `Man, why did you have to do him like that?''' Smith said. ''I'm not saying the organization did him good or bad, but when you see a friend leave you wish him the best, but you wish him here.''

The Panthers haven't filled Beason's roster spot. They are still on the hook for $8 million under the salary cap as part of Beason's prorated signing bonus.

Giants place CB Aaron Ross on IR
Updated: October 5, 2013, 4:40 PM ET
By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

The New York Giants on Saturday placed cornerback Aaron Ross on season-ending injured reserve as they made two roster additions to bolster their injury-riddled defense.

Ross missed practice this week with a back injury and had already been ruled out of Sunday's game against the Philadelphia Eagles after starting the past two contests in place of the injured Corey Webster.

With Webster doubtful for Sunday with a groin injury, Trumaine McBride likely will get the start at cornerback along with Prince Amukamara.

In corresponding roster moves, the Giants activated safety Will Hill from the suspended list and signed cornerback Charles James from their practice squad. New York also waived offensive lineman Dallas Reynolds, who was signed earlier in the week due to injuries on the Giants' offensive line.

Putting Ross, and not inured center David Baas, on IR and waiving Reynolds indicates that the Giants expect Baas to make a recovery from the neck injury that will force him to miss his second straight game Sunday. The Giants placed right guard Chris Snee on season-ending injured reserve Friday when they acquired linebacker Jon Beason in a trade with the Carolina Panthers.

Hill, who missed the first four games of the season on a drug suspension, returns to a depleted safety corps that has been without starter Stevie Brown since he tore his ACL in a preseason game. The Giants had only two safeties active for last week's game in Kansas City.

James was one of the Giants' final training camp cuts after a strong preseason as a punt returner. But with Webster doubtful, Ross done and Jayron Hosley out for Sunday's game, James could very well see playing time at cornerback.

Eli has finally cracked under pressure Giants needed Manning's best versus Philly, but two-time champ was the worst
Updated: October 7, 2013, 12:10 AM ET
By Ian O'Connor | ESPNNewYork.com
Rough Game For Eli Manning

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Win, lose or draw, Eli Manning was never going to let you see him sweat. That was the scouting report delivered by everyone from his father to his brothers, his coaches to his critics.

He might lose some games, and he might throw some interceptions, and he might look really, really ugly doing both. But the ultimate room-temperature quarterback would never, ever let the magnitude of his role -- face of the New York Giants franchise -- adversely impact his play.

No, Eli Manning was never going to crack. He proved it in two breathless Super Bowl victories over Tom Brady, Houdini-ing his way out of a sure takedown to deliver the absurd David Tyree heave in one, and firing a pass out of any quarterback's dreams to Mario Manningham in the other.

Was Eli even nervous in either situation as 100 million people watched? Shoot, the team doctor might've checked him for a pulse just to make sure he was still breathing.

But there was Manning on Sunday in MetLife Stadium, throwing interceptions on three consecutive fourth-quarter drives to blow a must-have game against the unworthy Philadelphia Eagles, prompting his coach and protector, Tom Coughlin, to come as close to publicly blaming Eli for a defeat as he ever has.

Coughlin had no choice. Manning was the third-best quarterback on the field, taking the bronze medal behind Michael Vick (first half) and Nick Foles (second half) on a day when the stakes demanded nothing less than gold.

Foles turned two Manning picks into touchdowns, not the other way around, and after this devastating 36-21 loss was complete, Coughlin grabbed his quarterback in the locker room to tell him that he's trying too hard. In effect, the coach was telling Manning that he's let this 0-5 start get to him.

"He's way, way too good a player to have these kinds of things happen," Coughlin said in his news conference.

Coaching the first Giants team in a non-strike year to start 0-5 since 1979, Coughlin called a couple of Eli's errors "terrible." Manning became the first NFL quarterback to commit three intentional grounding penalties in a game all year, penalties that Coughlin said "just hurt so badly."

The coach kept coming back to those wild choices and wayward throws in the fourth. Under pressure, Manning stepped up and bounced a panic throw off a lineman's helmet and into the hands of Mychal Kendricks, this before Foles hit Brent Celek on a 25-yard scoring pass on the very next play.

Eli responded on the next possession by rolling right and -- while being hauled to the ground -- trying to force a down-the-middle strike to Victor Cruz, who allowed Brandon Boykin to beat him to the ball. After Foles found DeSean Jackson for a 5-yard touchdown, Manning completed his unholy trinity by hitting Eagles cornerback Cary Williams between the numbers.

Choosing the 50 Greatest Giants was a big challenge. ESPNNewYork.com rose to the occasion. Top 50 photo.png Rank 'Em »

"It all comes down to the interceptions," Coughlin said. "Two of them were just … almost unbelievable."

Almost.

"I honestly believe that he's trying so hard to get us a win," Coughlin said, "he's almost put too much on himself. He keeps it all pretty much inside. I'm not making excuses. … I think you do have to sometimes just cover the ball up and go down."

But here's the thing: It's tough to cover up the ball and go down when you are 0-4, and when you have no running game, and when your offensive line is falling part, and when your own pass rush is dormant, and when your team has been outscored 69-7 in its previous two games.

It's tough to cover up the ball and go down when you're the guy with the $100 million deal, and when you're the two-time Super Bowl MVP who would kill for a shot at a third ring in your own building in February.

"Sometimes you've got to play to the circumstances of the game," Manning said, "and as a competitor though, that's how you're making plays. You're throwing the ball and sometimes you're scrambling around, you're running around and you make plays. And then sometimes it hurts you.

"But it's hard as a competitor. … When do you have to turn off the competitive edge and play smart?"

If he wanted to be a wise guy, Eli could've said, Hey, I didn't hear anyone complaining when I threw up that prayer to Tyree.

"Sometimes you get away with it," Manning said. "You have to make some of those throws to be in the NFL."

The Giants' quarterback has already made a full career's worth of big throws, winning one more ring than his more talented brother, Peyton. But in good times and in bad, Eli has always come across as an unflappable figure, a Derek Jeter-Mariano Rivera kind of figure in a most volatile marketplace.

Just as Jeter and Rivera were never rattled by the New York, New York pressures and noise around them, Manning remained rock-solid in his approach. Until Sunday. Until all this losing turned him into Mark Sanchez.

Though he cited a couple of dropped long balls (without naming the culprit, Rueben Randle) as plays that needed to be made, Manning took the hit for the interceptions and for failing to win a home game against a 1-3 team with a lousy defense, a 1-3 team that lost its own starter, Vick, to a hamstring injury, after he'd hurt the Giants on the ground and through the air.

"I've got to start playing better football," Eli said, "and make the throws and put our team in a better situation and win some games. … I know I can't keep turning the ball over."

Especially when those turnovers had what Coughlin called a "very demoralizing" impact on the team. Manning denied that he's feeling overburdened by his responsibilities, and that he's allowing the pressures of his job to impair his decision-making, but his coach wasn't so sure.

"I don't know what the answer is to that question," Coughlin said. "He never changes throughout the course of the week. As a matter of fact, he's practiced really well for the last couple of weeks, very much in control of everything.

"I do think he's trying so hard to make something happen, it's going out the other end."

Yes, Manning had plenty of help in losing this one to the Eagles, the Giants' 10th defeat in their past 13 games. But Trumaine McBride, who had a costly whiff on what should've been an interception, isn't anyone's idea of a franchise player.

Eli is the one playing the big position and pulling in the big bucks. He's the one with a dozen interceptions against eight touchdown passes, the one who heard a rousing chorus of boos as he left the field.

It's his team, his ball, his burden. And for the first time, with Peyton the only Manning worthy of the MetLife Stadium Super Bowl, it appears Eli, the family's only two-time champ, has cracked under that burden.

Take it off! Rick’s Cabaret won’t show Giants games, poor play making guys boo while dancers strip 'During the second half, customers were booing at the screens,' and dancers had a hard time cheering them up, said club spokesman Lonnie Hanover. By Dareh Gregorian / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Monday, October 7, 2013, 3:31 PM
giants6n-1-web.jpg Rick's Cabaret

Rick's Cabaret dancer “Alexandra” poses with a New York Giants football helmet. But the famous gentlemen's club will no longer show the team’s games at the club because the are playing so poorly this season.

There's a bust that's too big even for a Manhattan strip club - the Giants' 2013 season.

When customers at Rick's Cabaret in Midtown were yelling "Take it off" this past Sunday, they were actually yelling at the TV screens playing the Giants game.

"During the second half, customers were booing at the screens," and dancers had a hard time cheering them up, said club spokesman Lonnie Hanover.

Now Giants games have been banned from the premises.

"Until the Giants get their act together, we will not be showing them on TV," Hanover said.

The popular club will continue showing other sporting events, but the Giants' poor play has been leaving patrons — and performers — big-time blue.

"I love the Giants and wish them the best, but during Sunday's Giants game I had one customer who was almost in tears when (quarterback Eli) Manning threw the last interception," said one of the dancers, who only gave her name as Alex.

She said that's not the kind of atmosphere she enjoys working in.

"All I want to do is make people happy with my dancing. I don't like any negative distractions," she said.

"I hope the Giants turn things around and maybe we will show the games again!"

Hanover said many of the dancers "love the Giants" and many of the team's athletes go to the club, but "Rick's is about having a party all the time. We only want to focus on positive things."

The Giants' sacking was first reported on the website bustedcoverage.com.

Comments

NY Giants QB Eli Manning struggles, but father and former Saint Archie Manning says son is a fighter In an exclusive interview with the Daily News, Archie says Eli's current struggles remind him of his own career.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Tuesday, October 8, 2013, 10:50 PM

76242116.jpg Ronald Martinez/Getty Images Even these tough times for Eli Manning and the Giants are nothing compared to what dad Archie Manning went through in his days with the Saints.

There were countless times he took a snap from center and ran for his life, knowing there was little chance to make the play that was called. And there were many long days and nights after too many losses when the pain just wouldn’t go away.

So yeah, Archie Manning admits, “I guess I should be an expert on this.” He’s been where his youngest son, Eli Manning, is stuck right now, in a losing rut with everything going wrong around him. So he knows there’s nothing he can do to ease the pain of the miserable start to the Giants’ season, which Archie says, “is just the worst of times when it comes to football — the worst.”

“I can sit there and tell him the old standard things,” Archie said in an exclusive interview with the Daily News on Tuesday. “ ‘You’ve got to hang together.’ He knows that. ‘You’ve got to keep fighting.’ He knows that. ‘Keep working.’ He will. There’s not a whole lot of philosophy to this thing.

“But Eli’s holding up good. We have a heavy heart for the Giants organization, everybody we know, and all the fans. It’s a tough little period here. But Eli’s holding up. Eli’s strong. He doesn’t like it. But he’s a tough kid.”

super-bowl-family-football.jpg Anonymous/AP On Oct. 1, 1978, Saints QB Archie Manning eyes the football that’s just popped from his grasp during a game against the Los Angeles Rams in New Orleans.

RELATED: STRUGGLING ELI VOWS TO GET BETTER

As Archie knows, it takes a special kind of toughness to endure the hard times in professional sport. He just thought Eli had made it through the roughest patch when he struggled early in his career. He survived a six-game losing streak in his first six starts, then rode with the fans and his team on an emotional roller-coaster until he emerged after the 2007 season as a Super Bowl champ.

But as Archie says, “Nobody expected this.” As worried as Archie says he was in the offseason when he saw so many key Giants undergoing surgery, and as concerned as he was in the preseason with so many starters out, he never saw an 0-5 start in the Giants’ future. Nor could he imagine his youngest boy throwing 12 interceptions in the first five games while being sacked 15 times.

And yes, it does remind him far too much of his own career where in 14 seasons with mostly the Saints, and later with the Oilers and Vikings, he started 139 games and won only 35 while getting sacked an incredible 396 times. So when he looks at Eli now, he can feel his pain.

sport-nfl.jpg CHIP EAST/REUTERS Archie Manning (r.) knows son Eli and the Giants are going through ‘a tough little period.’

“I know it weighs heavy on him,” Archie says. Even to his family, Eli has maintained a brave exterior, but Archie knows from experience what’s really going on in his son’s mind.

RELATED: GIANTS INSIDER: JACOBS GETS STARTING NOD

“The worst part about getting in a rut in football is the weeks are so long,” Archie says. “Those seven days seem like three weeks before you can play. To me that was the hard part. And you don’t get your mind off of it. When you lose, that film session is no fun on Monday. On that day off on Tuesday you’re miserable, you don’t want to see anybody, or do anything. Then you go back to work and the environment is just not as good."

And it was no easier for him, Archie says, even though he experienced more of the losing and misery than Eli ever has.

new-york-giants-practice.jpg Corey Sipkin/New York Daily News In the first five games, Eli Manning throws 12 interceptions and is sacked 15 times.

“You never get used to losing,” Archie says. “Never, ever, ever. You never get used to losing. So that’s what makes it hard.”

If there’s a bright side to the Giants’ current mess, Archie says, it’s that Eli keeps insisting that “our locker room is good.” He has told Archie privately exactly what he’s said publicly, that the 0-5 start hasn’t fractured the team or caused any internal problems. The team has held together, which during a losing streak isn’t easy to do.

RELATED: MARA MAY BE FORCED TO TAKE ‘HARD KNOCKS’

“Frankly I’ve been in these situations where the locker room wasn’t good,” Archie says. “That’s really the worst of times. So I think the leadership on this team throughout the organization, the coaches, the players are going to prevent that. They’re not going to let that happen.”

d070855049-jpg.jpg Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images Archie Manning says you never get used to losing.

Asked if he can see a light at the end of the tunnel for his son and the Giants, Archie says, “It’s tough because I don’t think it’s one thing that’s causing this. We just don’t have a whole lot to hang our hat on right now.”

So all he can do is what he’s always done — root hard for Eli and the Giants and be there for his son for whatever he needs.

“It’s not the type of thing we’re going to sit down and talk for 30 minutes about, because Eli’s played the game for 10 years now,” Archie says. “There’s not a whole lot I can say. We talk about a few things, but he doesn’t throw out any excuses. He’s not throwing anybody under the bus. He just says, ‘We’ve all got to do better.’ That was kind of his message to me.

“He’s going to fight,” Archie adds. “He’s going to fight through it. So they’re going to survive this.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/vacchiano-big-mann-tells-news-eli-fighter-article-1.1480112#ixzz2hDX7f3j5

As the New York Giants stink it up on the field this season, women try to pry Big Blue-loving men off the couch for some Sunday fun Leaf-watching or apple-picking may take priority over football, but these guys will still love their team no matter how awful the season plays out
Comments (3) By Molly Friedman / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Thursday, October 10, 2013, 2:00 AM
giants10f-6-web.jpg Julia Xanthos/New York Daily News

As the Giants lousy play continues to infuriate Brian Shaw, maybe it's time to spend Sunday quality time with girlfriend Rachel Williams.

Dating a Giants fan typically means spending 16 game days in front of the television chanting: “Let’s go Giants, let’s go!”

But after the team’s horrific 0-5 start this season, women who once felt married to the G-Men have a new rallying cry: “Let’s go leaf-peeping in the Hudson Valley, let’s go!”

“I would love to go apple-picking or pumpkin-picking,” says Rachel Williams, 35, who lives with her super-fan boyfriend in Park Slope. “Go stroll through Central Park to see the leaves changing. I’m really into photography but instead of going by myself, now maybe we can go.”

As the losses pile up, Big Blue’s woes are giving ladies linked to Giants lovers a big victory: the ability to wrestle their beaus away from the TV.

giants10f-10-web.jpg The season has been a disaster so far for the Giants.

Williams has noticed changes in her boyfriend Brian Shaw — and if the Giants continue sliding, she hopes he’ll clear his Sunday schedule for couple’s time.

“The grumpiness has grown week to week,” says Williams, a lawyer. “There’s furious texting going on and typically, around the fourth quarter, he switches the channel.”

He hasn’t tuned out entirely, but Shaw’s frustration with the Giants has made him more of a team player around the couple’s apartment. When it came to Sunday chores, Shaw used to be as inefficient as Eli Manning in the pocket, according to Williams. This year, things changed.

“I’ll find him doing laundry,” says Williams, who dreams of spending fall Sundays dining with her man on anything other than wings. “He becomes someone who’s more into the dishwasher than the game.”

giants-eagles.jpg Corey Sipkin/New York Daily News The Eagles swarmed Eli Manning last week as the Giants quarterback tossed three interceptions in 36-21 loss dropping the Big Blue to 0-5.

In a year when Giants fans are facing the unthinkable — the Jets have a better record — even diehards are giving their wives and girlfriends a pass.

That means no more mandatory couch duty for Kirsten Piccini, whose husband John is such a big fan that their twin sons’ first birthday played second fiddle to a Giants-Eagles game that fell on the same Sunday.

Rather than endure his screaming at the screen, the 43-year-old mom called an audible last weekend.

“We watched until halftime on Sunday,” says Piccini. “I looked at my sons and said, ‘We should probably go back upstairs.’”

oct2012boysinnygshirts-kirsten-piccini-w The Piccini boys are growing up to be Giants fans - win or lose - just like their dad John.

While her husband suffered alone, she enjoyed a guilty pleasure.

“I go upstairs and watch ‘Scandal,’” she tells us.

For other women, spending more quality time with their man or Olivia Pope pales in comparison to another sorely missed activity — a day with the girls.

Lauren Martinez says her husband Andrew is so obsessed with the Giants that the couple posed for their engagement photos wearing his and hers jerseys.

lauren-and-andrew-martinez-web.jpg Lauren Martinez and hubby Andrew are so obsessed with their Giants that they posed for engagement photos in his and hers jerseys.

But the world looks different when the Giants are winless.

“He and I are both to the point where he’s like, ‘Go out with your friends,’” the 28-year-old says.

In Houston, where the couple lives, Martinez gets to have fun on game day instead spending it with her depressed husband and an equally depressing Giants team.

“I have a friend who has been wanting to do Sunday fun day where we go to any sports bar with girlfriends who are marginal sports fans,” says Martinez. “We’ll cheer on whoever.”

jennifer-minuche-and-husband-web.jpg The Sunday mimosas have been a little stronger this year for Gino and Jennifer Minuche.

But for couples made up of equally ardent Giants fans, the only play is to stay the course.

Despite the team’s dismal standing, former New Jersey resident Gino Minuche and his wife Jennifer are keeping alive their tradition of making mimosas before Sunday games. But the custom has changed a bit.

“This season’s been a little different,” Jennifer, 29, tells us. “The drinks have been a little stronger.”

If you’ve agreed to love someone in sickness and in health, you’ve agreed to love their Giants in good times and in bad.

giants-panthers-football.jpg Bob Leverone/ASSOCIATED PRESS Justin Tuck was looking for answers in his team's 38-0 thrashing at Carolina in Week 3.

“It’s been an unexpectedly frustrating start to the season,” says Gino. “No matter I will keep watching and supporting the team.”

But Thursday night, for a change, Williams and Shaw have no set plans to watch the Giants play at Chicago. Which might lead to an evening spent pumpkin-picking, after all.

Then again, Williams says her True Blue boyfriend will most likely wind up flipping on the game.

“He’s dealt with the blow of having bad seasons,” says Williams. “He’s been a Mets fan all his life.”

I would love to go apple-picking or pumpkin-picking,” says Rachel Williams, 35,

:rolleyes: Poor guy