SportsWrath

Jacobs Won't Play Sunday/Will Get Knee Scoped

Mr. P

Jacobs to have season-ending knee surgery

By Ralph Vacchiano

Giants running back Brandon Jacobs has been battling knee issues all season long, and after 15 games his knee has apparently had enough.

Tom Coughlin announced today that Jacobs’ disappointing season is officially over and he will undergo arthroscopic surgery next week. Coughlin did not specifically say what the damage was or whether it happened during his six-carry, one-yard performance against the Panthers on Sunday. He also indicated the problem wasn’t discovered until Jacobs was examined yesterday.

“I think Brandon’s always had some issues that he’s had to deal with,” Coughlin said. “He wouldn’t use it as an excuse and I won’t either.”

Clearly something has been wrong with Jacobs for much of this season, though. After two straight years of averaging five yards a carry, the 27-year-old’s average dipped to just 3.7 this year. He rushed 224 times for 835 yards and, remarkably, didn’t have a 100-yard game all season long.

The fact that Jacobs’ slide came months after signing a four-year, $25 million contract with $13 million in guaranteed money made it seem much worse. Also, heading into a potentially uncapped year where players can be cut with no cap ramifications, it even opens up the question about whether the 6-4, 264-pounder will be back in the same role in 2010.

Chances are he will be, especially if he’s fully healthy. And Coughlin said he doesn’t expect this knee problem to affect Jacobs long-term.

“I hope not,” Coughlin said. “I’m hoping that this is corrected by the scope.”

As for Sunday in Minnesota, it figures that Ahmad Bradshaw will get the start, but with his injured ankles he’s not healthy enough for a full workload either.

“I wouldn’t think so,” Coughlin said. “We’ll utilize the other kids.”

The “kids” are Gartrell Johnson and D.J. Ware, but given Coughlin’s criticism of Ware this morning I’d guess it’ll be much more of Johnson. Asked about why Ware has seemingly fallen behind Johnson on the depth chart, Coughlin first citied his injuries. But then he said “To be honest with you, on special teams when he was back, he didn’t do much.”

The Vikings, by the way, have the fourth-best run defense in football, yielding only 90.6 yards per game.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2009/12/jacobs-to-have-season-ending-k.html

NY Giants running back Brandon Jacobs will miss season finale with a knee injury

By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

December 30, 2009, 11:39AM

All season long, Brandon Jacobs has been dealing with a right knee injury that has knocked him out of a couple of games. Now, it'll finally knock him out of a game before it starts.

The Giants' running back will not play in Sunday's season finale against the Vikings, coach Tom Coughlin said Wednesday morning. Coughlin, who did not provide specifics on the injury, also announced Jacobs will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his knee next week.

Someone informed of Jacobs' injury said he needs to have the joint "cleaned out," which means he's likely dealing with cartilage issues. The person, who requested anonymity because Coughlin didn't discuss specifics, said Jacobs did not suffer ligament damage.

Coughlin said the team didn't believe Jacobs' injury was as serious as it turned out to be.

"Not to the extent he would have the scope," Coughlin said of Jacobs, who hasn't played in all 16 games since his rookie season in 2005. "Just (yesterday) when he had the exam."

Of course, this raises the question as to whether Jacobs' subpar season is due to this lingering knee issue.

"Brandon has always had issues he's had to deal with," Coughlin said. "But to that extent, I'm not sure. He wouldn't use that as an excuse and I wouldn't either."

And this raises other questions: is all the speculation about Jacobs' wearing down more quickly than the average running back because of his style of play coming to fruition? This being the second straight season in which he's had a knee issue, are there long-term concerns about Jacobs' health?

"I hope not," Coughlin said. "I hope this is corrected by the scope."

Coughlin said the team hasn't decided whether to place Jacobs on injured reserve, though that could occur later in the week if the team needs his roster spot for another player.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/12/ny_giants_running_back_brandon_4.html

i hate that they do this. They lie to us all year and then use it as an excuse when it all falls apart. They do it in baseball too.

What happened to the "we were giving him Derrick Ward's plays" excuse?

This means there was nothing wrong with the offensive line's blocking all along?

Ridiculous :furious:

perhaps while he is under they can surgically remove the high heels from his overrated twinkle toes...the dog can't believe people bought into his hype (usually his hype of himself)...

hahaha twinkle toes...well, you do have to admit, him bowling over people when he first came into the league helped that hype...obviously, he's not fit to be a starter in this league and get 16 games...he needs to be that back that spells a quicker, shiftier back....get 10-12 carries a game...at this point, Bradshaw is the better third down and short AND goalline option.

i hate that they do this. They lie to us all year and then use it as an excuse when it all falls apart. They do it in baseball too.

What happened to the "we were giving him Derrick Ward's plays" excuse?

This means there was nothing wrong with the offensive line's blocking all along?

Ridiculous :furious:

It is against Cheerleader's religion to be honest about an injury... :rolleyes:

Ahmad Bradshaw should be our starting running back come next year if his wheels are healthy. And Andre Brown should be getting a lot of carries as the 3rd guy behind BJ. I honestly don't think we have a need at RB that needs to be addressed in the draft...I know some people think so....but I think you bring in a guy like Dominick Rhodes to provide some competition for the 3rd spot and possibly motivate Jacobs, but you don't waste a top 3 round pick on a position we're pretty solid at....

Simply said, Ahmad has earned it...

Reporter: "Hey coach, how is Brandon's injury?"

Coughlin: "Well, he's got a knee."

LOL.

Joe Buck does that shit all the time....

"Corey Webster is out with a hamstring"....or my personal favorite "Brett Favre is out with a thumb"....like it's just too much work to add the word injury to make the sentence correct.

LOL.

Joe Buck does that shit all the time....

"Corey Webster is out with a hamstring"....or my personal favorite "Brett Favre is out with a thumb"....like it's just too much work to add the word injury to make the sentence correct.

I've heard Coughlin say that too, when Eli hurt his foot. "Well, he's got a foot." No shit coach, did that Syracuse edumcation tell you that?