SportsWrath

Oh Well.....Nevermind

JackStroud

Well one of the safeties was getting eaten up out there....with finger tackles....the entire secondary needs a clinic on tackling and proper angles to the ball.

Johnson and Rouse/Brown tandem. Thomas started at corner today with Dockery.

Well one of the safeties was getting eaten up out there....with finger tackles....the entire secondary needs a clinic on tackling and proper angles to the ball.

That was Michael Johnson. terrell thomas for the most part tackles well. Dockery was terrible making tackles today also.

Couple of things...

1) The Giants need to find a successful DC. Not an easy task... Somebody mentioned Romeo Crennel. I think that is a good choice. I am very skeptical of Sheridan, but I am not so sure that it's a given we will find someone better.

2) The defensive personnel problems were largely due to injuries. I do think that Alford was on the verge of a breakout season this year, prior to his injury. A healthy Alford should be a big boost.

3) More than anything, Kenny Phillips' injury hurt us the most this season. I think our defense would be well served to draft a safety early to play alongside Phillips next year (IF Phillips can resume his career at the level we would expect him to play, and that's a big IF), and retain Rouse and Johnson as backups, and a decent vet at safety.

4) We need to draft or import a sideline to sideline middle linebacker. I would keep Goff in a backup role for the immediate future. But a stud middle linebacker should be the second priority after finding a solid DC for this defense. I think we need to give Sintim a solid look next year as the starting strongside linebacker, as long as we are confident in the middle linebacker we bring in.

5) Things will settle down with Osi. Out of all of our problems, I am worried about Osi's production the least. I expect he will have a much better season fully healed from the knee injury.

6) Tuck should be commended for the heart he displayed this year. He really played well considering that his shoulder (partially torn labrum) was not at 100%. A healthy Tuck would wreak havoc on opposing teams. He did not have that liberty thanks to the cheap shot from Flozell Adams. We are fine with Tuck and Osi next year as the bookends... we have not seen the best of that tandem.

7) I am really excited about our corners. Webster and Thomas are going to be terrific starting corners for us for the forseeable future, and Ross I think will accept a role as the nickel, making him one of the better nickels in the league.

8) Kiwanuka's departure could be a big loss. Per Rotoworld, he is under contract for one more season, I hope he stays. I believe that in the event we cannot retain Kiwi, another solid DE is needed, primarily someone who excels at run defense, but ideally a draft pick that can both rush the passer and stop the run.

9) Barry Cofield is a free agent after this season, as well as Robbins. I think it's essential Cofield is retained, and I would keep Robbins only if the contract is very cap friendly.

9) I expect a huge year from Canty next year and think his improved play could propel this defense back to being a top-5 unit.

When you think about it, we need to improve a little at safety, MLB, and DT. We need to draft or import three players at those positions and this could be a tremendous defense. This is entirely doable.

The next few items are a summary of what I'd like to see on the offensive side of the football...

10) It is clear that Deihl is not a top LT. Maybe he is good enough to get by. But I wouldn't be opposed to seeing how Beatty would perform there next season, and moving Deihl over to G. But Seubert is also a very good, very unappreciated guard, and he is under contract through 2012. Snee is under contract through 2014. McKenzie is locked up through 2011 as is O'Hara. Diehl's contract is good through 2013. No matter what happens, we have a pretty good line that is locked up for the next couple of seasons.

11) I am not as enthused as other Giants' fans are regarding Manningham. I do not think he is good enough to crack the starting lineup, and I don't think he is the ideal slot WR. His hands have been unreliable and the fumble today was indicative of his inconsistent play this season. However, Smith and Nicks should be a great WR combo for awhile. I discounted Smith's ability prior to this season. While I still think he is not a true #1, he has been a godsend to this offense and his value is unquestioned. I believe Nicks has shown that he is going to be in the mold of Anquan Boldin. I believe he has had the best season of any WR in this draft class. We'll see how Crabtree and Britt pan out, but Nicks has given the best early returns, with huge potential going forward. I would hope that Barden makes strides and can make solid contributions in 2010, and if not, the Giants may need to explore adding another WR who can reliably move the chains.

12) A big question for the offseason will be concerning the RB position. Is Brandon Jacobs' career turning into a that of Eddie George? George had a spectacular 4 seasons or so with Tennessee before providing diminishing returns due to his punishing running style that not only punished opponents, but his own body. I believe that Bradshaw proved a lot this season, but did not have the real breakout year we hoped, probably due to the injured ankles and fractured foot. It's a mystery as to what we'll get out of Andre Brown next year, but the Giants probably need to spend a pick on another RB that can at least provide a spark or spell our top two guys if they go down with injury.

Overall, I think we need to add some speed to the offense. One more big play WR and RB... and this thing should take off. Eli has had a career year and has now entered his prime, we have a talented offensive line that is locked up, a very good TE, and brilliant, young WR's that are taking off. We're going to jettison some guys (Sinorice Moss, Danny Ware) and I would like to see them replaced with some high ceiling players with big time speed, especially at RB.

This team is very close... we can definitely turn this around next year. The difference between us and the Eagles is maybe one player... DeSean Jackson comes to mind. Give us a guy that has that kind of speed that can change a game and a healthy Kenny Phillips and we take the division this year. So hopefully next year we can take back the crown.

I remember the 80's Giants would just bring in George Martin on third down plays just for his ability to rush the passer, cause fumbles...and yes intercept the ball as well. And he was not a liability against the run either if I remember correctly. Osi could have been inserted on most of the third down plays. And lets can the defensive shuttling of players on the D-line...we have no Strahan who needed the break and none of these guys ever got into a rhythm. Once Tuck got hurt by that Dirty Bastard the pass rush went out the window.

I know Tuck is hurt and i love the guy, but when things are down, Tuck gets very dejected and when the team needs a leader, he hasn't stepped up. Bradshaw is in even worse shape, but after every play, the guy bounces up and tries to get his team going. I've gained a lot of respect for Bradshaw in recent weeks. He's been way more effective than Jacobs and plays with more heart.

I know Tuck is hurt and i love the guy, but when things are down, Tuck gets very dejected and when the team needs a leader, he hasn't stepped up. Bradshaw is in even worse shape, but after every play, the guy bounces up and tries to get his team going. I've gained a lot of respect for Bradshaw in recent weeks. He's been way more effective than Jacobs and plays with more heart.

Why not make Ahmad Bradshaw our every down back and use Jacobs to pound and for short yardage, a la Tiki and Jacobs when Jacobs first came into the league? I know it's opposite of the whole point of wearing the defense down by punishing them with Jacobs but what says Bradshaw can't tire defenses down by having them chase him all over the field and then have Jacobs come in and pound on the tired players? It is clear that Bradshaw has more home run power and has been more effective than Jacobs this season...I think it's something to think about, at the very least...the team never thought Tiki would be an every down back yet he was for 5 or 6 years...

Now, I know it would have been tough to do this the past season because Bradshaw was banged up but I truly think that Ahmad brings more to the table.

I honestly think Derrick Ward was a huge loss to us. We haven't had a third back all season.

Why not make Ahmad Bradshaw our every down back and use Jacobs to pound and for short yardage, a la Tiki and Jacobs when Jacobs first came into the league? I know it's opposite of the whole point of wearing the defense down by punishing them with Jacobs but what says Bradshaw can't tire defenses down by having them chase him all over the field and then have Jacobs come in and pound on the tired players? It is clear that Bradshaw has more home run power and has been more effective than Jacobs this season...I think it's something to think about, at the very least...the team never thought Tiki would be an every down back yet he was for 5 or 6 years...

Now, I know it would have been tough to do this the past season because Bradshaw was banged up but I truly think that Ahmad brings more to the table.

I honestly think Derrick Ward was a huge loss to us. We haven't had a third back all season.

i think going into the season, jacobs will have to fight for his first team status, maybe his job.

Osi probably isn't going anywhere...but Dockery is garbage, man. His limp wristed attempts at tackling are cowardly.

the dog has to give you credit storm (although not for bailing on a team you route for), but you called it as it is...this team lacks heart. gutless, and regadless of what the cowboys do in the next two games, they are undeserving of being in the playoffs...

Why not?. I agree with you.

As for Ward, he's a huge loss now, but I think that perhaps Andre Brown might be worth something to us next year. I think him getting injured was a loss.

the dog has to give you credit storm (although not for bailing on a team you route for), but you called it as it is...this team lacks heart. gutless, and regadless of what the cowboys do in the next two games, they are undeserving of being in the playoffs...

why thanks, dog, you aren't so bad yourself.

we're all in this shit show of a season, anyway, might as well call spades spades was my thought all along...

Why not?. I agree with you.

As for Ward, he's a huge loss now, but I think that perhaps Andre Brown might be worth something to us next year. I think him getting injured was a loss.

I forgot all about that dude. We might be in alright shape without having to draft a back...though I think we pick up someone like Dominick Rhodes(who I thought we should have picked up DURING the season) to come in and fight for the third spot...or at least that's what I hope...but honestly, no sense in drafting another back....go in with Bradshaw, Jacobs....with Ware, Gartrell, and someone like Rhodes to fight for the third spot.

Hopefully, Bradshaw's feet heal up alright and he's back stronger than ever next year because that kid truly has heart.

I know he didn't look to sharp in this game but overall he's stepped up.

Nas, I don't mean to constantly disagree with you man, but he was demoted from his Nickelback spot for Bruce friggin Johnson and only got the start over Johnson because he's got the experience filling in for starters in the past...but Bruce Johnson sucks too...no doubt.

To some extent that's true, but even Bill Sheridan can't get on(and stay on---injuries) the field, get pressure on QBs, tackle, or time blitzes correctly.

Injuries are part of the game... Part of me thinks Sheridan should get another year to prove himself... out of fairness but a much bigger part of me says I don't think we want to go thru another year like this one... and that we have a pool of talent that's wasted by poor coaching... I'm already looking forward to the draft... I hear Brian Cushing is animal... and Orakpo of course... you think we can land one like them?

Injuries are part of the game... Part of me thinks Sheridan should get another year to prove himself... out of fairness but a much bigger part of me says I don't think we want to go thru another year like this one... and that we have a pool of talent that's wasted by poor coaching... I'm already looking forward to the draft... I hear Brian Cushing is animal... and Orakpo of course... you think we can land one like them?

Possibly, but knowing the Giants, they'll draft a defensive end in the first, an olineman in the 2nd, a WR in the 3rd, and wait for rounds 4-7 for the real needs like DT, LB, Safety

Possibly, but knowing the Giants, they'll draft a defensive end in the first, an olineman in the 2nd, a WR in the 3rd, and wait for rounds 4-7 for the real needs like DT, LB, Safety

No it's not that bad. Going into last draft we all pretty much agreed we needed a WR in the first... I think Nicks is paying off quite nicely. One of you here (probably Jim, VG, or PPod..) was high on Cushing but he wasn't there when we drafted.. niether was Orakpo. So now we know our biggest need is at LB and it will be no secret what the the Giants will draft. And don't forget Sintim has shown flashes of a start... we just need a star MBL and the combo of that with Boley on one side and Sintim on the other fits nicely...

No it's not that bad. Going into last draft we all pretty much agreed we needed a WR in the first... I think Nicks is paying off quite nicely. One of you here (probably Jim, VG, or PPod..) was high on Cushing but he wasn't there when we drafted.. niether was Orakpo. So now we know our biggest need is at LB and it will be no secret what the the Giants will draft. And don't forget Sintim has shown flashes of a start... we just need a star MBL and the combo of that with Boley on one side and Sintim on the other fits nicely...

I hope that's what they're thinking but I keep reading about how high they are on Kehl and Goff....and Goff was consistently out of position today.

I hope that's what they're thinking but I keep reading about how high they are on Kehl and Goff....and Goff was consistently out of position today.

I don't think that has substance... I'm thinking Sintim... everyone else is a career back up...

When Osi had a run-in with Sheridan even before the season began and left practice - we should have realised right then that this bum was not fit for this team. Osi always had fire and passion and wanted to win and he realised right then that Sheridan was fuck-up who was putting the wrong players in wrong positions and doing all the wrong things. If Sheridan goes, I think Osi returns to his form of 2 years back.

We need to draft nothing but the best available LBer in the first round. And the best available safety in the second. The rest can be gotten in the later rounds or through free agency. How much money will Patrick Willis ask for? :rolleyes:

When Osi had a run-in with Sheridan even before the season began and left practice - we should have realised right then that this bum was not fit for this team. Osi always had fire and passion and wanted to win and he realised right then that Sheridan was fuck-up who was putting the wrong players in wrong positions and doing all the wrong things. If Sheridan goes, I think Osi returns to his form of 2 years back.

We need to draft nothing but the best available LBer in the first round. And the best available safety in the second. The rest can be gotten in the later rounds or through free agency. How much money will Patrick Willis ask for? :rolleyes:

Yeah man I cringed when I read that....it usually happens when someone replaces the revered leader (in this case Spags); but usually the star veteran player(s) step behind the new guy at least publicly. Real sad. Also I think Cheerleader is tired and needs to be kicked upstairs. Take Gilbride with him .... please. :rolleyes:

I was so hype going into this year with the upgrade( or so it lead me to believe). Canty. Rocky bumnard and osi returning. What a freaking let down. With the money rocky stole from us I think we need to cut the clown and pay Robbins and canty for backups. They both are well deserving of it.

Some of you point out we need LBs. But who are some of the top lbs that are coming out for the draft!!! It's known we have a few holes and I think Reese will draft the best player for one of those holes with the first round. Not saying a lb would be number one

Once they gave the game back to San Diego I had the feeling we would be sitting home this year...

I agree. Thats when I had this sinking feeling too. And against Carolina - the moment Mario Mofo fumbled after getting an awesome first down on a stellar throw by Eli - I knew it was over right then but my heart wouldnt listen and thought we had a fight. Then the Tuck penalty, offsides on 3rd down put the final nail in the coffin. I think we need to go for Cowher and no matter what shoot Sheridan in the fucking face with a shotgun!