SportsWrath

Left Fielder?

BleedinBlue

Now that the starting pitching is settled (for the most part IMHO) and Melky is history, what are we going to do about left field? I like Gardner for his defense and running, but not sure about his bat. Since he's right handed, he'd be a good platoon with Granderson who apparantly kills right handed pitching, but sucks against lefties. On the other hand, we also have Hoffmann now, but he is also a right handed hitter, even though he is supposedly a defensive gem and we have to keep him on the roster to keep from losing him back to the Dodgers.

So what we really need is an everyday left-handed (or switch hitting) outfielder for left field....the way I see it anyway since 80% of the pitchers we face are right handed. Damon is a top notch hitter off RH pitchers, but he really isn't a good outfielder anymore.

There's lots of talk about DeRosa, and I think he'd be good for the team, but he's also a righty. There's also talk of Marlon Byrd and Jermaine Dye, but they too are righties...as is Xavier Nady who could be resigned. The two top OF's in free agency are Holliday and Bay - both righties and both too expensive for the Yankee's new taste.

Ideally, the Yanks could figure out a way to pry LH Carl Crawford away from Tampa, but I don't see that happening as Tampa doesn't want to trade their best player to the AL East.

So what do we do???

Aparantly, the Yankees have been talking with the Cubbies about a trade for Reed Johnson. Johnson isn't bad, but not exactly an anchor in left field either - he'd probably give us Melky numbers. Still, he comes in just under 4 mill a year on his contract. I suspect the Cubs want Mitre or Gaudin, who the Yanks are shopping now that Vazquez is in the fold.

This is a stellar play by Reed Johnson who is on the Yanks' radar. I said in an earlier post that he wasn't a bad outfielder, but I don't know a heck of a lot about him. I know his power numbers are light. Anyway, here's a short clip of him making a great defensive play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar_XAw--Ads

• 2 weeks later...

Reed Johnson sucks, no thanks..we are better off just going with Grandy in left, gardy in center and Swish in right...or sign Holliday which I would love. Matt Holliday >>>>>>> Carl Crawford....and really, its not even that close. Holliday is a much, much, much bettter player than Crawford.

Crawford is a nice player, Holliday is pretty much a superstar