SportsWrath

Giants Vs. Redskins Gameday Thread: 12/21/09 MNF

Guest StrahansGap

Giants scored the most points of any team this week with 45 points the browns BROWNS were second closest with 41 points. We are starting to rack up high scoring games. Offensive play look s better in the past 3 weeks.

Did Gilbride go see his proctologist and have his head removed?

Giants scored the most points of any team this week with 45 points the browns BROWNS were second closest with 41 points. We are starting to rack up high scoring games. Offensive play look s better in the past 3 weeks.

Did Gilbride go see his proctologist and have his head removed?

Whatever the hell it is... he needs to keep doin it....

I'm not sure about that...I think that's the point of moving them out of the hashes....

Giants 45 - Washington 12: The Official Review

A look back at the officiating in the Giants' 45-12 win over Washington.

Only two things worth commenting about tonight from an officiating perspective. First, the Redskins use of the old "swinging gate" formation on the field goal attempt at the end of the first half. In that formation, the center for the Redskins was wearing an eligible number, 87, and as he was the player on the end of the line, he was eligible to go downfield and catch a pass if the pass had made it to him.

The other Redskins players who were out near the sideline all held their position except for one receiver who came out of the backfield and went downfield. As a result everything done by the Redskins was legitimate although it was a horrible play, especially after showing the same thing prior to the time out. This is a play that hardly ever works in the NFL although it did work earlier this season for the Redskins.

The other situation was the near fight precipitated by Brandon Jacobs. Although I am sure that he will be fined by the league office during the week for throwing a punch, the Giants got really lucky in that he wasn't ejected and the only foul that was called was against the Redskins.

I thought the covering official did a terrible job and missed the punch or punches thrown by Jacobs. In fact, the only flag came from the Umpire well after the attempted punches by Jacobs. I felt that the first official on the scene got so involved with breaking up the fight that he failed to see what was going on around him.

http://trainathought.insidefootball.com/2009/12/giants-45-washington-12-the-official-review.html

Jacobs: "We took the stadium over"

giantsskins09b1.jpg

There were a decent number of Giants fans at Fedax Field on Monday night. From my vantage point, it was nothing absurd, certainly not when you consider that the Giants are still fighting for a playoff berth, and the Redskins are, you know, not. And with New York dominating at halftime, and throughout the third quarter, and throughout the fourth quarter, the percentage of Giants fans steadily grew.

So when a playoff team ends up beating a non-playoff team by 33 points, in a stadium that seats 90,000, right before Christmas, two days after a snowstorm, on a chilly night, you would absolutely expect the visitors to have a dominant presence in the stands by the game's end.

That said, the "Let's Go Giants!" chants were loud. Really loud. Loud enough that the Giants' defenders on the field were gesturing with their hands in the air, asking the crowd to provide more noise. That's just weird.

"We took the stadium over," Brandon Jacobs said. "You know, that's what we do every year here. We come to D.C., half of the stadium is Giants fans. And by the end of the fourth quarter, all the Washington fans is gone and it ends up just like it is....It feels great. It feels great to go into any stadium and take it over. But it's a two-hour train ride, and people made the trip, and we was excited to see a lot of fans here."

Others were slightly less effusive, but the general point was similar.

"It was crazy," Osi Umenyiora said. "It was a Giants crowd, man. It was a pro-Giants crowd. It was crazy."

I asked when he realized how many Giants fans were here.

"I would say from the beginning," Umenyiora said. "I mean, it was a bunch of Giants fans here, so I'm happy about that. It probably won't be like that every time we come down here, but in this instance it was, and we're happy for it."

Other players said they didn't notice the Giants' presence until later in the game.

"Towards the end of the game, when they were chanting Let's Go Giants, you can't beat that," Kevin Boss said. "That's pretty special, to be able to hear that."

"It was awesome to see," tackle David Diehl said. "One of the things we talked about all week is starting fast and getting momentum on our side and trying to get the crowd out of it. I didn't think at the end it'd be that loud--Let's Go Giants. It's an exciting time for us."

Even defensive tackle Barry Cofield brought up the crowd, out of the blue, when discussing the win.

"We had a lot of fans out there, too," Cofield said. "It really wasn't a bad home-field advantage. We had a lot of fans, and I felt like we fed off of them. We were playing for a lot more than [the Redskins] were, so if we couldn't win this game, we don't deserve to be in the postseason."

Someone asked him later whether he expected so many Giants fans.

"I was kind of surprised," Cofield said. "Maybe it was the weather, I don't know. Like I said, this was a must-win game for us, and just another game for them. They're out of contention. But it was great to see so many blue shirts, and hear the crowd on our side."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/12/jacobs_we_took_the_stadium_ove.html#more