SportsWrath

NFL to allow Super Bowl Bid

Lubeck

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2009/12/17/2009-12-17_jets_giants_will_submit_proposal.html

The NFL has given the Giants and Jets approval to bid for Super Bowl XLVIII following the 2013 season to be played in their new $1.7 billion stadium that opens next season.

Itwill take a lot of convincing when NFL owners vote because the leaguehas always required a minimum temperature of 50 degrees or a domedstadium to host the game. The winning bid will be announced at the endof May.

The teams elected not to put a dome - retractable orpermanent on the new facility - because of the prohibitive cost. Thebid would be a "unique, once-only circumstance based on the opportunityto celebrate the new stadium and the great heritage and history of theNFL in the New York region," according to a statement from the new stadium's management.

The Super Bowl will be in Miami following this season, then the game will be played in the new stadiums in Arlington, Tex., and Indianapolis, the following two years. Each of those stadium have retractable roofs. Then it will be in the Superdome in New Orlans.

There has never been a cold weather Super Bowl played without a dome. The game has been played in domes in Detroit twice and Minneapolis once.

Accordingto the statement, a preliminary proposal to the NFL is due April 1,with the winning bid announced at the end of May. Three other venueshave expressed their intention to compete for the hosting rights.

"It's time for the biggest game in football to be played on the biggest stage in the world," said Woody Johnson and Jonathan Tisch, the committee chairmen. "We are confident that the appeal and prestige of the New York Citymetropolitan region, coupled with the innovative capabilities of ourbrand-new state-of-the-art facility, can provide a unique and excitingexperience for the teams and fans, as well as the entire league and thesport of football. And, of course, we would love to bring the SuperBowl - and its significant economic benefits - to New York and northernNew Jersey."

There has been some support for placing the Super Bowl in Giants Stadium following the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks to show support for New York, but that never gained much momentum.

One of my biggest pet peeves about the NFL is the bolded ridiculous limitation. How is it an AFC/NFC championship game can be played in the cold, but not the Super Bowl? You don't want weather being a factor in the game?

I call bullshit. They played the Super Bowl Colts-Bears in a hurricane!

I sincerely hope that the NFL goes ahead and allows the Giants/Jets host in 2014, I hope the game is amazing and the entire experience shows the stupidity in using the bolded limitation, and they get rid of it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2009/12/17/2009-12-17_jets_giants_will_submit_proposal.html

One of my biggest pet peeves about the NFL is the bolded ridiculous limitation. How is it an AFC/NFC championship game can be played in the cold, but not the Super Bowl? You don't want weather being a factor in the game?

I call bullshit. They played the Super Bowl Colts-Bears in a hurricane!

I sincerely hope that the NFL goes ahead and allows the Giants/Jets host in 2014, I hope the game is amazing and the entire experience shows the stupidity in using the bolded limitation, and they get rid of it.

Unfortunately the NFL is full of constant hypocrisy. They fine players for big hits but constantly show the clip during shows, no Superbowl in cold weather yet have NFL channel shows on cold or snow games and also fine players for celebrations even though it clearly helps to sell the game. Welcome to the NFL's bizarro world. I totally agree that northern teams should get Superbowls and if NY does I hope it snows the whole game. If it does snow I am sure NY will never get a game again but it will be considered one of the best SBs ever.

Yeah I too have found a great deal of hypocrisy in the concussion issue. The NFL loves to market itself with clips of hard hits but then turns around and penalizes those who dish out those hits.

And as far as weather goes some of those most iconic games in NFL history were those fought in poor weather...to limit the championship game based on weather and not wanting the cold to influence the outcome....i'm sorry but one of the best stories that came out of the 07 NFC championship game was how it was in Green Bay and it was FREEZING. The Giants winning in those conditions added a level of achievement to the win. That game wouldn't be the same if it was played in Miami in 60 degree weather.

Yeah I too have found a great deal of hypocrisy in the concussion issue. The NFL loves to market itself with clips of hard hits but then turns around and penalizes those who dish out those hits.

And as far as weather goes some of those most iconic games in NFL history were those fought in poor weather...to limit the championship game based on weather and not wanting the cold to influence the outcome....i'm sorry but one of the best stories that came out of the 07 NFC championship game was how it was in Green Bay and it was FREEZING. The Giants winning in those conditions added a level of achievement to the win. That game wouldn't be the same if it was played in Miami in 60 degree weather.

you are correct, the most memorable games are played in weather. but there were real fans in green bay. real fans don't go to the super bowl, it's the corporate yahoos mostly who don't want to sit out in crappy weather for 5 hours.

Unfortunately the NFL is full of constant hypocrisy. They fine players for big hits but constantly show the clip during shows, no Superbowl in cold weather yet have NFL channel shows on cold or snow games and also fine players for celebrations even though it clearly helps to sell the game. Welcome to the NFL's bizarro world. I totally agree that northern teams should get Superbowls and if NY does I hope it snows the whole game. If it does snow I am sure NY will never get a game again but it will be considered one of the best SBs ever.

I agree with everything you said except the celebration part...how does it clearly help sell the game? I think it's pretty ludicrous watching grown men celebrate like clowns. High five your teammates and hand the ball to the ref, like good old Barry. THAT would help sell the game. Yet, that kind of player doesn't typically exist in the NFL anymore. Now the heroes of football yore are replaced by criminals who spend 30 days in jail for murdering someone and are rewarded by not being permanently banned from the NFL.

There's few things that piss me off more than when a player celebrates an individual play like he just won the Super Bowl while his team is losing.

I agree with everything you said except the celebration part...how does it clearly help sell the game? I think it's pretty ludicrous watching grown men celebrate like clowns. High five your teammates and hand the ball to the ref, like good old Barry. THAT would help sell the game. Yet, that kind of player doesn't typically exist in the NFL anymore. Now the heroes of football yore are replaced by criminals who spend 30 days in jail for murdering someone and are rewarded by not being permanently banned from the NFL.

There's few things that piss me off more than when a player celebrates an individual play like he just won the Super Bowl while his team is losing.

Obviously doesn't help to sell to hardcore fans, nothing would anyway, but it definitely does to fair weather/casual fans. How many Ocho or Owens jerseys sell compared to other WRs? Anyway a lot of the NFLs rules are ridiculous and the only reason it has become so popular is because they push a lot of fake patriotism. No Fun League is right. Hell Ocho was fines $30k for wearing a poncho and Adams gets $50k for being a douche. How does that make sense?

Also Blunatic is dead on because as stated before the NFL definitely cares more about the money then the fans.

Obviously doesn't help to sell to hardcore fans, nothing would anyway, but it definitely does to fair weather/casual fans. How many Ocho or Owens jerseys sell compared to other WRs? Anyway a lot of the NFLs rules are ridiculous and the only reason it has become so popular is because they push a lot of fake patriotism. No Fun League is right. Hell Ocho was fines $30k for wearing a poncho and Adams gets $50k for being a douche. How does that make sense?

Also Blunatic is dead on because as stated before the NFL definitely cares more about the money then the fans.

They BOTH got fined for being a douche, man. Wearing a sombrero and poncho during a football game is definitely being a douche. Do you recall how beside ourselves we were when Joe Horn phoned home during a game against us? That was douche behavior. The NFL shouldn't want the taunting and extreme celebrations going on because it makes them look bad...you get a bunch of clowns holding pom poms after they score touchdowns and it turns into a god damn circus and not a football game. Football is a very serious sport, IMO, you got 52 other guys that depend on you and not only can that kind of behavior get you a penalty, it shows you put yourself and individual accomplishments above the team.

They BOTH got fined for being a douche, man. Wearing a sombrero and poncho during a football game is definitely being a douche. Do you recall how beside ourselves we were when Joe Horn phoned home during a game against us? That was douche behavior. The NFL shouldn't want the taunting and extreme celebrations going on because it makes them look bad...you get a bunch of clowns holding pom poms after they score touchdowns and it turns into a god damn circus and not a football game. Football is a very serious sport, IMO, you got 52 other guys that depend on you and not only can that kind of behavior get you a penalty, it shows you put yourself and individual accomplishments above the team.

No, no it's not serious. It's a game for entertainment purposes. There is only a penalty because the NFL has banned it. The celebrations are constantly shown on highlight shows and hell even Madden football uses celebrations in commercials sometimes. Ocho is a great entertainment figure for the NFL because he has fun and sells tickets. It hurts no one and it makes no sense that the NFL gives 2 shits about it. As a matter of fact name another league that fines or penalizes for celebrations; group or not. Why should he be fined $30k for being a goof while Adams and Icognito get $50k for being cheap players that endanger other players' health and possible career? So trying to hurt other players is only $20k worse then being a jester. Bitch please. :jerkoff:

No, no it's not serious. It's a game for entertainment purposes. There is only a penalty because the NFL has banned it. The celebrations are constantly shown on highlight shows and hell even Madden football uses celebrations in commercials sometimes. Ocho is a great entertainment figure for the NFL because he has fun and sells tickets. It hurts no one and it makes no sense that the NFL gives 2 shits about it. As a matter of fact name another league that fines or penalizes for celebrations; group or not. Why should he be fined $30k for being a goof while Adams and Icognito get $50k for being cheap players that endanger other players' health and possible career? So trying to hurt other players is only $20k worse then being a jester. Bitch please. :jerkoff:

I have always gotten the impression you are an older gentleman Lone...but now you sound really young with this view point...celebration definitely doesn't add anything to the game. If I wanted to pay to see people dance or wear costumes, I'd be a fan of Broadway.

The game and it's intricacies is what intrigues fans. Watching 4.4 forty yard dash football players streak down the field and catch a bomb is entertainment. Watching a 6'3 280 pound dude run full speed into a QB is what fans want to see. There's no place in the NFL for these over the top celebrations. You don't see NBA or MLB players doing this. So why should it be tolerated in the NFL?

Spike the ball, high five your teammates, and run back to the sidelines. Act like you have some respect for the team you're playing. Act like getting into the end zone is something you're used to. And for Christ's sake, DON'T CELEBRATE LIKE YOU JUST WON THE SUPER BOWL WHEN YOU MAKE A NICE INDIVIDUAL PLAY AND YOUR TEAM IS GETTING WHOOPED!!

And I really don't see any logic in what you're saying--- casual fans don't watch entire football games for the 1 or 2 over the top celebrations that happen per year. Nor would they start watching 3 hour football games if River-dancing in the end zone was allowed. They'd still watch the one or two games per year that they're currently watching

The NFL is a respected organization. Try telling NFL owners, hardcore fans, and the players that football isn't serious. You can't talk trash or taunt or celebrate in high school or college for the mere fact it's disrespectful to the other team.

Do you run over to your employer's biggest rival when your sales tops theirs dressed up like the Hamburglar and start doing back flips?

The outrage wasn't at Joe Horn but rather the fact that the Giants players sat there and did nothing about it. He didn't ridicule us fans, he ridiculed the players and they took it up the ass.

I don't see the issue with guys celebrating (Ochocinco did the poncho on the sidelines Storm). You want to stop them celebrating, then stop them scoring. No point in the Giants defense chipping away at Desean Jackson after he humiliated them, just next time the ball is thrown to him, be close enough to him to lay his ass out with a hit.

The outrage wasn't at Joe Horn but rather the fact that the Giants players sat there and did nothing about it. He didn't ridicule us fans, he ridiculed the players and they took it up the ass.

I don't see the issue with guys celebrating (Ochocinco did the poncho on the sidelines Storm). You want to stop them celebrating, then stop them scoring. No point in the Giants defense chipping away at Desean Jackson after he humiliated them, just next time the ball is thrown to him, be close enough to him to lay his ass out with a hit.

Yes, on the sidelines with the cameras following him and whoever else had set it up the whole time. Good point. On the field or not is irrelevant when the cameras are going to obviously follow them and broadcast them over the stadium and into millions of homes anyway. Then, what you ALL aren't understanding, is ESPN and other non-affiliates of the NFL glorify the conduct. It's not the NFL's fault that other outlets glorify the big hits and organized celebrations they've made illegal.

Add in the 15 or so times in which on field celebrations HAVE occurred and the "THIS time he celebrated ON THE SIDELINES" point is moot.

There's celebrating and there's coordinating celebrations and turning the game into a fucking circus. It's ridiculous to think that no square dancing on the field in cowboy hats = No Fun League.

I don't want to see celebrations. I want to see the kickoff and the next series. You can watch clowns fool around and act like 6 year olds. I'll go to the Barnum and Bailey Circus for that.

And no, I was outraged at the fact that Joe Horn had the arrogance and cockiness to stuff a cell phone in the end zone and use it as a prop to disrespect the Giants.

Win with class, lose with class.

Go watch Falco and The Replacements if you want to see celebrations.

I've yet to see an logical argument as to WHY celebrations should be legal.

Probably because it's fun, maybe? The adrenaline would be pumping (especially if the celebrators team was losing) after a big play. Who wouldn't celebrate?

Personally, I could care less how anyone celebrates/doesn't celebrate, but I do agree with you on the celebrating when you're getting your asses handed to you. No, what gets me more than the excessive celebrations is the showboating during a play, i.e. DeSean Jackson back-peddling into the end zone. I think actions like that show far more disrespect to an opponent than whipping out a Sharpie or wearing a yellow jacket once the play is over. As a matter of fact, if I was one of those defenders chasing Jackson when he slowed down, turned around, and strolled into the end zone, I'd have kept hustling full speed and cleaned his clock at the end of the play, regardless of the impending late hit penalty and the fine.

Probably because it's fun, maybe? The adrenaline would be pumping (especially if the celebrators team was losing) after a big play. Who wouldn't celebrate?

Personally, I could care less how anyone celebrates/doesn't celebrate, but I do agree with you on the celebrating when you're getting your asses handed to you. No, what gets me more than the excessive celebrations is the showboating during a play, i.e. DeSean Jackson back-peddling into the end zone. I think actions like that show far more disrespect to an opponent than whipping out a Sharpie or wearing a yellow jacket once the play is over. As a matter of fact, if I was one of those defenders chasing Jackson when he slowed down, turned around, and strolled into the end zone, I'd have kept hustling full speed and cleaned his clock at the end of the play, regardless of the impending late hit penalty and the fine.

It's a complete and utter waste of time...and that's not what I consider fun, I don't want to see a show/performance....I want to see two hard hitting teams play FOOTBALL and chest bump each other after a touchdown...I'd watch Michael Jackson videos if I wanted to see a guy moonwalk in the end zone.

But you know, thinking about it more, something like the Iggy Shuffle, Lambeau Leap, and Dirty Bird, those are all fine with me. Those could even be considered rewarding to the fans. It's when guys are trying to be attention whores and turn the game into a celebration of their individual play that pisses me off and makes me completely understand the rule against it....I'm extremely thankful that with all the flaws we have, we don't have a single Ocho-Not That Good-O personality on this team.

...you have a point though, mid play showboating is a little more disrespectful

Yes, on the sidelines with the cameras following him and whoever else had set it up the whole time. Good point. On the field or not is irrelevant when the cameras are going to obviously follow them and broadcast them over the stadium and into millions of homes anyway. Then, what you ALL aren't understanding, is ESPN and other non-affiliates of the NFL glorify the conduct. It's not the NFL's fault that other outlets glorify the big hits and organized celebrations they've made illegal.

Add in the 15 or so times in which on field celebrations HAVE occurred and the "THIS time he celebrated ON THE SIDELINES" point is moot.

There's celebrating and there's coordinating celebrations and turning the game into a fucking circus. It's ridiculous to think that no square dancing on the field in cowboy hats = No Fun League.

I don't want to see celebrations. I want to see the kickoff and the next series. You can watch clowns fool around and act like 6 year olds. I'll go to the Barnum and Bailey Circus for that.

And no, I was outraged at the fact that Joe Horn had the arrogance and cockiness to stuff a cell phone in the end zone and use it as a prop to disrespect the Giants.

Win with class, lose with class.

Go watch Falco and The Replacements if you want to see celebrations.

When the joe Horn situation occured, much of the outrage was that the Giants just let him do it and not get in his face. No-one here that I can remember said he had class for doing it, it's clear it wasn't classy, but the focus was on the Giants lack of fight, remember this was the 45-7 drubbing.

I enjoy the replacements when it comes on, it's not a bad movie really. The girl is pretty fucking hot.

There are no logical arguments regardjng celebrations, guys should be able to celebrate, it the overelaboration that can be the problem, I get it. But there are bigger issues in football

You express annoyance at OchoCinco and Terrell Owens, boy you wouldn't have been happy hearing Steve Young admit Monday night he planned all week before one game to do a touchdown dance if he scored.

It's a complete and utter waste of time...and that's not what I consider fun, I don't want to see a show/performance....I want to see two hard hitting teams play FOOTBALL and chest bump each other after a touchdown...I'd watch Michael Jackson videos if I wanted to see a guy moonwalk in the end zone.

But you know, thinking about it more, something like the Iggy Shuffle, Lambeau Leap, and Dirty Bird, those are all fine with me. Those could even be considered rewarding to the fans. It's when guys are trying to be attention whores and turn the game into a celebration of their individual play that pisses me off and makes me completely understand the rule against it....I'm extremely thankful that with all the flaws we have, we don't have a single Ocho-Not That Good-O personality on this team.

Storm, the ickey shuffle is the example you should be using to make your case since it elevated his profile so high that when he got to the superbowl he was so hyped up that he became a flop.

The Ickey Shuffle, Lambeau Leap, etc. are more in line with what I was talking about. Ocho wearing a Sombrero, meh, who cares. Joe Horn phoning home......that's just taunting to get a reaction, one that would normally get his ass kicked if it weren't for the fact the Gmen showed restraint. Pull that shit on the Raiders or the Steelers with Hines Ward on the field and see what happens. What's worse, or should I say more embarrassing, are celebrations like when Shockey was pointing at the camera during the kick and it turned out good. You wanna celebrate, ok, but at least wait until the play is done before you make an ass out of yourself.

To get back on point before Lube shoots us. I can't see us getting the bid. In fact, I could see the NFL go the direction of all covered stadia in the future after Superbowl 41 because of the rain in Miami. The conditions were not pretty that night and it did take some from the game. Imagine if it snowed!

The Ickey Shuffle, Lambeau Leap, etc. are more in line with what I was talking about. Ocho wearing a Sombrero, meh, who cares. Joe Horn phoning home......that's just taunting to get a reaction, one that would normally get his ass kicked if it weren't for the fact the Gmen showed restraint. Pull that shit on the Raiders or the Steelers with Hines Ward on the field and see what happens. What's worse, or should I say more embarrassing, are celebrations like when Shockey was pointing at the camera during the kick and it turned out good. You wanna celebrate, ok, but at least wait until the play is done before you make an ass out of yourself.

i432_shockeyshocked.gif

Unforgettable.

When the joe Horn situation occured, much of the outrage was that the Giants just let him do it and not get in his face. No-one here that I can remember said he had class for doing it, it's clear it wasn't classy, but the focus was on the Giants lack of fight, remember this was the 45-7 drubbing.

I enjoy the replacements when it comes on, it's not a bad movie really. The girl is pretty fucking hot.

There are no logical arguments regardjng celebrations, guys should be able to celebrate, it the overelaboration that can be the problem, I get it. But there are bigger issues in football

You express annoyance at OchoCinco and Terrell Owens, boy you wouldn't have been happy hearing Steve Young admit Monday night he planned all week before one game to do a touchdown dance if he scored.

But...no one gets in Chad Johnson or TO's face either....

I just think that it's a penalty because it doesn't belong in football (or any organized sports other than Professional Wrestling)...not because the NFL doesn't like to have "fun"....

But...no one gets in Chad Johnson or TO's face either....

I just think that it's a penalty because it doesn't belong in football (or any organized sports other than Professional Wrestling)...not because the NFL doesn't like to have "fun"....

Terrell Owens celebrated on the star in Dallas and George Teague ran halfway cross the field to knock him out of it.

Speaking of lambeau field and Chad Ocho Cinco. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pDjTX9wnCQ