SportsWrath

Is the defense just more stupid than the offense?

JMFP

If you wanted evidence that these Giants are not your father's Giants, it was right there just before the half on the play where Osi Umenyiora sacked Donovan McNabb and Michael Boley dropped what everyone assumed would have been an interception but should not have assumed it was not a fumble. Because it was ruled a fumble. And yet, the ball sat there at the Eagle 35-yard line, and sat there, and Giant players ignored it. The ball was finally picked up by one of the zebras and moved back 10 yards, to the spot of the fumble, with an explanation of "inadvertent whistle."

"Yeah as a defense, that's what we do. I mean, we do it every day at practice," Boley said. "Even if the QB throws an incomplete pass, we go scoop it up like it's a fumble. And, it's one of those things that we didn't do. It's no excuse for it, we just didn't do it."

McNabb promptly hit DeSean Jackson for 44 yards and soon it was 30-17.

"I was unaware of it, come to find out it was a fumble, and you could see the refs looking for us to pick it up," Terrell Thomas said. "It was just unfortunate that 11 guys had no awareness to pick up the ball. There's no blame on the coaches, it's all 11."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/big_blue_brain_freeze_CedzwsFiEvHvA8Q8MZmPOO

Not to make excuses for Sheridan, but is he just coaching a pack of dipshits? If so, then maybe Spags' "run like a maniac toward the QB" system is really the only way these guys can play defense.

Another example is Johnson locking into Alex Smith with DeSean Jackson is streaking past the secondary.

The whistle was blown by the closest official. Yes, they should have picked it up but I can't blame them for thinking it was ruled an incomplete pass. It wasn't called a fumble until after the zebra conference. It was poor officiating as much as it was poor decision making by the players. Osi was pointing at it but didn't do anything himself, makes me think the play was definitely blown dead.

The whistle was blown by the closest official. Yes, they should have picked it up but I can't blame them for thinking it was ruled an incomplete pass. It wasn't called a fumble until after the zebra conference. It was poor officiating as much as it was poor decision making by the players. Osi was pointing at it but didn't do anything himself, makes me think the play was definitely blown dead.

Yeah; one of the players, I forget who, stated they had heard a whistle.

If Mario Manningham didnt play offense, then Id agree. Manningham has to be the dumbest player in the NFL...and thats saying a lot becuase there are tons of dumb brothers in the nfl.

Give the kid a break. This is his first year seeing action and I dare anyone here to say he has not surpassed thier expectations. He will learn the art of keeping his feet inbounds and you can only pin the first pass on him.. the second sailed on Eli.

Give the kid a break. This is his first year seeing action and I dare anyone here to say he has not surpassed thier expectations. He will learn the art of keeping his feet inbounds and you can only pin the first pass on him.. the second sailed on Eli.

The expectation that he had loads of physical talent, but lacked a head for the game (or much else)? I'd say he's met my expectations exactly.

Not to make excuses for Sheridan, but is he just coaching a pack of dipshits? If so, then maybe Spags' "run like a maniac toward the QB" system is really the only way these guys can play defense.

Another example is Johnson locking into Alex Smith with DeSean Jackson is streaking past the secondary.

Take a look at the Miami Dolphins if you want to see a team that has no business being in contention. The GM and the coach looked at the talent around them and instead of making excuses, made the best of it.

I wouldn't call any of our players "stupid". I think they need a better leadership... Sheridan has disappointed me.. I'd rooted for him stating that it's my preference to hire from within... and I'm not sure if Bill maybe just need another year to learn... but I'm not sure that's gonna happen... and I'd rather have someone proven... I'm praying for John Fox to come home... Remember I think of of the Mara's or the Tisches told him that in NY he'll always have a home.