SportsWrath

Why all the down faces?

Allstarjim

WHat gives me hope is that over these past 8 weeks that have been brutal on defense we have constantly faced quality qb's, Brees, McNabb twice, Warner, Rivers, dare I say it Romo(only exception Orton and they lost that game minute we stepped off plane anyway), now they get Jason Campbell, probably a backup or lousy Delhomme(who could be dangerous) and in all likelihood a backup in Minny as they will rest Favre in a meaningless game. Now the way the defense is playing Danny Kannell could possibly light them up, but I think we will see better defensive play if for no other reason the level of quarterback they face over the next three weeks will pale in comparison to the last 8.

Still have to correct the defensive mishaps. This is correctable. Driving home from the game Carl Banks said a very tellling thing. He said, and I am paraprhrasing a bit "every coordinator wants at least 5 or 6 very good players to work with, you cannot say that this defense does not have 5 or 6 maybe even 8 or 9 very good players on defense to work with". Told me all I needed to hear as to what Carl thinks is the problem. Then he started mentioning 1991 Handleys first year and a man named Rod Rust, a do coordinator I believe Banks went after during a game against the Cowboys in 1991 or 92 at halftime.

Sheridan is in over his head and its apparent. What we need to hope for is he has enough side support to make up for this

WHat gives me hope is that over these past 8 weeks that have been brutal on defense we have constantly faced quality qb's, Brees, McNabb twice, Warner, Rivers, dare I say it Romo(only exception Orton and they lost that game minute we stepped off plane anyway), now they get Jason Campbell, probably a backup or lousy Delhomme(who could be dangerous) and in all likelihood a backup in Minny as they will rest Favre in a meaningless game. Now the way the defense is playing Danny Kannell could possibly light them up, but I think we will see better defensive play if for no other reason the level of quarterback they face over the next three weeks will pale in comparison to the last 8.

Still have to correct the defensive mishaps. This is correctable. Driving home from the game Carl Banks said a very tellling thing. He said, and I am paraprhrasing a bit "every coordinator wants at least 5 or 6 very good players to work with, you cannot say that this defense does not have 5 or 6 maybe even 8 or 9 very good players on defense to work with". Told me all I needed to hear as to what Carl thinks is the problem. Then he started mentioning 1991 Handleys first year and a man named Rod Rust, a do coordinator I believe Banks went after during a game against the Cowboys in 1991 or 92 at halftime.

Sheridan is in over his head and its apparent. What we need to hope for is he has enough side support to make up for this

All we can do now is hope he starts to 'get it'.

But to be honest, I'm not sure the problem is Sheridan. Yes, the Giants have 5 or 6 and maybe even 8 or 9 good players on defense. But four of them have been out most or all of the year (Phillips, Alford, Ross, and Pierce). A few more of them are either coming off an injury or maybe just getting old (Umenyiora, Robbins, and Pierce again). Canty and Bernard haven't done much for us (Canty will never put up big numbers, he's a space eater, but what the hell happened to Bernard?). And we've got at least one that has devolved from weak link to missing link (CC Brown). Picture where all these guys are at on the field -- yeah, right up the middle.

But there's some youth, there's a couple guys getting healthy...I think we've got some hope.

This game reminds me of the Patriots game in week 17 of the 2007 regular season. We lost that game, too, but we showed that we could beat them.

Nothing like it at all. The Patriots were 15-0 and the greatest offense in the history of the NFL. The Eagles lost to the Raiders this year and were 8-4 heading into this game. Beating the Eagles in a potential playoff game gets us what? ...an opportunity to get brutally raped again on a bigger stage by New Orleans? This team lacks the talent and the coaching (on defense) to make any real push for the playoffs. They are definitely not going deep into the playoffs if they stumble into it somehow. If they had any heart or balls they will CRUSH the Redskins. But if they win it will be a game that they could have lost (if it weren't for a coin) like against the Falcons.

Great analysis, especially concerning the level of QBs that we've played against. A QB in a zone can carve up any defense (especially a shaky one like the Giants). It's like a dominating pitcher (Cliff Lee v. Yankees) or a dominating goalie in the NHL.....a single player can take over the game.

I remember watching Drew Brees embarrass the Patriots....my guess is that if there was something Belichick could have done about it, he would have. But when the opposing QB is playing like Madden Football on Red Bull, all you can do is make sure the defenders are playing the best defense for the down, distance, and personnel.

With respect to Sheridan, they absolutely need to amp up the physical nature of the defense. Sheridan called out his defense after the Denver game, but someone (i.e., Coughlin) needs to call out Sheridan's schemes.

Our defensive linemen shouldn't be going backward. Our linebackers need to jump into the blitz with more frequency, and skinny ass receivers like DeSean Jackson need to be hit - hard. Sometimes an unnecessary roughness call against a reciever or a QB is actually necessary.

If Carl Banks thinks this can get turned around, I'll keep the faith.

THE GOOD NEWS: If you look at the stats, the Giants defense gave up far fewer yards than the Philly defense....I think they gave up 370+ v 500+ yards. If they had run in that Osi strip, that's a 14 point swing.

And against Dallas and Philly, they held the running game to less than 100 yards....I think both Dallas and Philly had less than 75 yards on the ground.

That to me is going to be the key.....Orton is a mediocre QB, but our run defense sucked, and we got hammered. Compare that to the Dallas and Philly games, where it was a real shootout.

So, if the Giants can shut down the running game against the Redskins, Panthers, and Vikings, 3-0 is a real possibility.

All this assumes that Eli stays on a high note......if the offense reverts back to a Denver game, all hope is lost.