SportsWrath

Yanks take Jamie Hoffmann in Rule 5 draft

BleedinBlue

From "PendingPinstripes"

With the 1st pick in the 2009 Rule 5 Draft that the Yankees received in return for Brian Bruney, they selected Jamie Hoffmann, an outfielder in the Dodgers' system.

Hoffmann will be 25-years-old for the 2009 season, stands 6'3" tall and weighs 220. Interestingly enough, he was undrafted and found by a scout who convinced him to sign With the Dodgers even though he had primarily been playing hockey(He was drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes). He has made a solid impression since starting his career and was ranked the Dodgers' 22nd best prospect by Baseball America in 2009. In their midseason rankings, the guys at True Blue L.A. had him ranked him at various spots, but no lower than 21st.

Hoffmann started out as a third baseman but was moved to the outfield after his first year in the minors. Baseball America ranked him the best defensive outfielder in the Dodgers' system before the 2009 season, but TotalZone agrees that he had a strong defensive season in 2008. He was only average in 2009, though. It's definitely fair to defer to the scouts here and say he is a plus defender in the corners.

On the offensive side of the ball, he has been solid. In 2009, his best offensive season, he struck out only once more than he walked between Double-A and Triple-A. He has gap power and has hit ten home runs in each of the past two seasons.

Over his career, he hasn't hit lefties particularly well, but in 2009 he put up a .974 OPS against them after posting a .691 OPS versus lefties in 2008. This took place in a small sample of 120 at-bats, so I'm not sure how much stock we should put in that improvement.

Hoffmann is a big guy, but he is also deceptively fast. This hasn't turned him into a good base stealer, though. While he has stole 91 bags, he's been caught 43 times, a pretty bad rate.

All together, I like the pick for the Yankees. They didn't grab someone who has an extremely high ceiling, but they got someone who is likely to stick and can help the team.

------------------------------

Other opinions off the net: "Hoffmans pick screams right-handed caddy for Granderson to me. He can play a very good center field and has the experience to stick to the roster. Basically, he can do everything that Gardner can except swipe bags, and for that reason Brett Gardners spot on the roster might be in trouble. For a Rule V pick, even the first overall, thats a pretty good day.

Zach Kroenke was a bit of a loss, and I wouldnt have been surprised to see the Yankees pick him with the 1st overall pick. Hell get lefties out for Arizona, and thats about it. Luckily for the Yankees, Kroenke will be followed in the system by Wilkins De La Rosa and Michael Dunn, so there isnt a lot to worry about here. The Yankees certainly have faith in Damaso Marte now.

K. Teixeira isnt much of a loss. Hes maybe our 6th or 7th best depth reliever".

---------------------------------

Yanks still get their regular pick in the Rule 5 draft later today

Guest StrahansGap

Can you say, trade bait?? Looks like this kid will be playing with the Blue Jays soon, along with Phil Hughes and Jesus Montero.....because Doc Halliday is coming to town!!!!!

Can you say, trade bait?? Looks like this kid will be playing with the Blue Jays soon, along with Phil Hughes and Jesus Montero.....because Doc Halliday is coming to town!!!!!

Actually....because Hoffmann is a Rule 5 draftee, he has to make the 25-man team or he goes back to the Dodgers. He's a great defensive outfielder and a decent right handed bat. I see him platooning with Granderson who hits great against right handers, but sucks against left handers.

I see the left fielder being Melky, Gardner, and Damon (who will sign). To me, that means Melky or Gardner are more likely to be shipped.

Also, I think the Yankees would part with Joba before parting with Hughes, but I don't know. Montero is a given. Perhaps Montero, Melky (or Gardner), and a pitching prospect other than Hughes or Joba will work to pry Halladay over to the good guy's side. :D

Actually....because Hoffmann is a Rule 5 draftee, he has to make the 25-man team or he goes back to the Dodgers. He's a great defensive outfielder and a decent right handed bat. I see him platooning with Granderson who hits great against right handers, but sucks against left handers.

I see the left fielder being Melky, Gardner, and Damon (who will sign). To me, that means Melky or Gardner are more likely to be shipped.

Also, I think the Yankees would part with Joba before parting with Hughes, but I don't know. Montero is a given. Perhaps Montero, Melky (or Gardner), and a pitching prospect other than Hughes or Joba will work to pry Halladay over to the good guy's side. :D

Why would you opt to keep Hoffman over Melky or Gardner when he hasn't even proved he could hit ML pitching? And why are you so anxious to give up our young pitchers when Boston isn't willing to give up Bucholz?

Why would you opt to keep Hoffman over Melky or Gardner when he hasn't even proved he could hit ML pitching? And why are you so anxious to give up our young pitchers when Boston isn't willing to give up Bucholz?

I don't advocate keeping Hoffmann over Melky or Gardner. I just think that Hoffman is a better compliment to platoon with Granderson. Hoffman is a great defensive outfielder and those who have worked with him think he's a future 30 homerun guy batting against lefties. He does have some major league experience, albeit, very little. He hit a couple of doubles, a single, and a homerun for the Dodgers in 22 at bats. It is said that he has an ugly swing, but with Kevin Long's tutoring, they think they can pretty it up.

I'm certainly not anxious to see Melky or Gardner go away, but when Granderson was picked up, there became one outfielder too many and I think enough teams are interested in Melky or Gardner, that we can get another solid pitcher in return...and I am one who thinks pitching is everything. I really want to see the Yanks get Halladay or Lackey and I especially don't want to see the Phillies get Halladay or I believe the Phillies will waltz through the league and be national champs next year.

I'd love to see the Yankees have an outfield of Melky/Gardner (LF), Granderson/Hoffman (CF), Swisher/Gardner (RF) and Damon as the sixth outfielder and regular DH. Add a starting rotation of CC, Halladay, AJ, Petite, and Hughes and I'll be ecstatic.