SportsWrath

2010 #1 round pick should be MLB

JMFP

I’d go almost all defense next year in free agency and the draft…..we need a linebacker, a disruptive Defense Tackle (preferably someone the Fiji Islands, Hawaii, or Somoa….. I wonder Kid Tonka is available?), and a safety, among other things.

In short, we need to shut down the middle of the field, so Ross and Webster can do their man-coverage thing with an expectation that they'll get some support.

I think Alford and Coefield are the future at DT, but I’d love to rotate in some wild Somoan.

I watched the 49ers/Jaguars game, and Patrick Willis singlehandedly took over that game. And look at what Ray Lewis has done for the Ravens. We need a guy that is feared and avoided by the defense….instead, we’ve got linebackers that are targets.

I'd like to see Sintim and Goff take over for Danny Thomas and Nick Greisen. I'd also like to find out if Kehl has any NFL game in him.

I’d go almost all defense next year in free agency and the draft…..we need a linebacker, a disruptive Defense Tackle (preferably someone the Fiji Islands, Hawaii, or Somoa….. I wonder Kid Tonka is available?), and a safety, among other things.

In short, we need to shut down the middle of the field, so Ross and Webster can do their man-coverage thing with an expectation that they'll get some support.

I think Alford and Coefield are the future at DT, but I’d love to rotate in some wild Somoan.

I watched the 49ers/Jaguars game, and Patrick Willis singlehandedly took over that game. And look at what Ray Lewis has done for the Ravens. We need a guy that is feared and avoided by the defense….instead, we’ve got linebackers that are targets.

I'd like to see Sintim and Goff take over for Danny Thomas and Nick Greisen. I'd also like to find out if Kehl has any NFL game in him.

DT I think we have major problems, unless Canty can get his ass in gear and Alford lives up to his potential. Cofield and Robbins are free agents next season. Bernard had been a major bust, and I hope we cut him. Robbins is almost sure not to return, and I wouldn't want him anyway. He put in many good years with the gmen, but his best years are behind him.

Out DT's are getting pushed around by offensive lines - and when they're in position to make a play, alot of times they call down or run into their own player.

EDIT: Meant to say "a lot of times they FALL down"

DT I think we have major problems, unless Canty can get his ass in gear and Alford lives up to his potential. Cofield and Robbins are free agents next season. Bernard had been a major bust, and I hope we cut him. Robbins is almost sure not to return, and I wouldn't want him anyway. He put in many good years with the gmen, but his best years are behind him.

Out DT's are getting pushed around by offensive lines - and when they're in position to make a play, alot of times they call down or run into their own player.

True. I think we need a new DT, plus Alford and Coefield. Not sure what (if anything) we've got with Cant-He and Rocky Road.

Not to keep harping on our linebackers, but it's up to them to fly through the gaps and make the plays.....when your linebackers can't handle anything well, it makes your defensive line and secondary look even worse than they are.

The more I think about this defense, the more inclined I am to scrap the 4-3 and go with the 3-4. If Osi and Tuck were actually getting to the QB, I'd think differently.

But given how prevalent the West Coast offense has grown, I'd love to have two tough linebackers in the middle and two very fast outside guys to rush the passer and cover the tight end and running backs.

The more I think about this defense, the more inclined I am to scrap the 4-3 and go with the 3-4. If Osi and Tuck were actually getting to the QB, I'd think differently.

But given how prevalent the West Coast offense has grown, I'd love to have two tough linebackers in the middle and two very fast outside guys to rush the passer and cover the tight end and running backs.

On Tecmo Super Bowl I use the 3-4 and go undefeated every time. :flex:

Crazy idea, maybe... but what about Kiwi in the middle?

It just hit me, thinking about how a guy like Trotter fit in the middle of the Eagles defense, that Kiwi is also over-sized for a LB, and in a better way than Trotter too. Like Trotter, he's a much stronger against the run than in other facets of the game, including pass rushing and especially pass coverage. Smarter guy than Trotter for sure. Seems like a good way to get him on the field.

Or not.

LET's Look at the Free Agents first.

Garrett Ruud, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (26)

Locking the young middle linebacker up should be a priority for the Buccaneers and with all the cap room they have, it’s a little surprising they haven’t already gotten it done. Ruud quietly voiced dissatisfaction last offseason by skipping voluntary workouts, but has continued to keep a positive outlook to the situation. Ruud’s new deal should be in the area of what Bart Scott received this offseason (6 years, $48 million) from the Jets. He’s the leader of the defense now and will consistently be among league leaders in tackles for the next several years. The Bucs should and will lock him up at some point in the near future, but it’s just about both sides agreeing on the terms.

Shawne Merriman, San Diego Chargers (25)

With his first two sacks since returning from injury coming in week 8, Merriman doesn’t seem to be exactly the same player he was prior to his injury, which is to be somewhat expected. The Chargers defense has been a large liability so it becomes a question whether or not the team wants to even commit that much money to a player who has been pretty unproductive. What the Chargers do with Merriman will be a decision based on the ultimate risk-reward analysis, as well as a decision reflecting which of their many free agents they choose to and are able to retain. Remember that the team also drafted pass rusher Larry English in the first round last year.

Karlos Dansby, Arizona Cardinals (28)

Dansby hasn’t played badly this year by any means, but he hasn’t made too many game changing plays either. The key to Dansby’s future will be what his contract expectations are. He isn’t quite worth the type of money the Ravens paid to Terrell Suggs, but at the same time, he’s one of the cornerstones to the Cardinals defense which has allowed a league low 3.0 yards per carry going into week 8. Dansby can do it all really, but can the Cardinals afford to re-sign him?

DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans (25)

Ryans has been a stalwart for the Texans, displaying consistency from game-to-game and year-to-year. With rookie sensation Brian Cushing next to him, the Texans have the beginnings of a good front 7. Ryans would like a long-term contract with the Texans, but if the two sides can’t reach a deal, there’s a good chance he would be willing to accept a deal elsewhere. Still, Houston will almost definitely re-sign Ryans and work around the foundation of Ryans-Cushing-Williams in the front 7.

Thomas Davis, Carolina Panthers (26)

Davis started his career on a sour note at safety, but has since converted to become a superb outside linebacker. Next to Jon Beason, the Panthers have a very nice young corps that they should be able to maintain over the next decade. Continuing his success from last season, Davis has played very well again for the Panthers. His presence is being felt in coverage where he has 2 picks and 5 deflected passes. The Panthers would be crazy to let Davis move on because he and Beason make a great punch in the linebacking corps.

Kirk Morrison, Oakland Raiders (27)

Morrison has been a guarantee in the Raiders starting lineup for his entire five year career now. He leads a unit that is solid, but unspectacular. Morrison is as sure a tackler as any in the league, but has failed to make many big plays. The Raiders should try and re-sign him, and teammate Howard who do a nice job week in and week out. However, many have suggested the poor attitude inside the Raiders’ locker room which could tempt Morrison to bolt and move to another team.

Thomas Howard, Oakland Raiders (26)

Howard’s ability to cover ground has helped him become the coverage backer he is today, but year after year, the Raiders finish near the bottom of the pack in run defense. Not to put the blame on Howard, but you have to think that the Raiders may be considering moves that reflect this. Howard is a nice blitzer and does a better job of making big plays than his teammate Kirk Morrison, but is also less stout against the run at outside linebacker. Not to use a repeated joke, but Howard does have incredible speed, which may account for something when Al Davis considers his contract re-signings.

D’Qwell Jackson, Cleveland Browns (25)

Even after missing one game, D’Qwell Jackson remained the team leader in tackles and was one of the cornerstones of the Browns defense. He injured his shoulder in a loss to the Steelers, which has forced him to the Injured Reserve and has ruined his contract year. With few pieces to build around, the Browns will chart his recovery and try to re-sign him based on how he’s progressing.

Other Notable Free Agents:

Antwan Barnes, Baltimore Ravens (24) – Restricted FA

Bertrand Berry, Arizona Cardinals (34)

Chase Blackburn, New York Giants (26)

Gary Brackett, Indianapolis Colts (29)

Tedy Bruschi, New England Patriots (36)

Keith Bulluck, Tennessee Titans (32)

Brandon Chillar, Green Bay Packers (26)

Danny Clark, New York Giants (32)

Angelo Crowell, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (28)

Keith Ellison, Buffalo Bills (25)

Larry Foote, Detroit Lions (29)

Scott Fujita, New Orleans Saints (30)

Omar Gaither, Philadelphia Eagles (25)

Chris Gocong, Philadelphia Eagles (25)

Clint Ingram, Jacksonville Jaguars (26)

Rashad Jeanty, Cincinnati Bengals (26)

Derrick Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs (26)

Akeem Jordan, Philadelphia Eagles (24) – Restricted FA

Cato June, Houston Texans (29)

Rocky McIntosh, Washington Redskins (26)

Matt Roth, Miami Dolphins (26)

Jason Taylor, Miami Dolphins (35)

Zach Thomas, Kansas City Chiefs (36)

Pisa Tinoisamoa, Chicago Bears (28)

Stephen Tulloch, Tennessee Titans (24)

Mike Vrabel, Kansas City Chiefs (34

LET's Look at the Free Agents first.

Garrett Ruud, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (26)

Locking the young middle linebacker up should be a priority for the Buccaneers and with all the cap room they have, it’s a little surprising they haven’t already gotten it done. Ruud quietly voiced dissatisfaction last offseason by skipping voluntary workouts, but has continued to keep a positive outlook to the situation. Ruud’s new deal should be in the area of what Bart Scott received this offseason (6 years, $48 million) from the Jets. He’s the leader of the defense now and will consistently be among league leaders in tackles for the next several years. The Bucs should and will lock him up at some point in the near future, but it’s just about both sides agreeing on the terms.

Shawne Merriman, San Diego Chargers (25)

With his first two sacks since returning from injury coming in week 8, Merriman doesn’t seem to be exactly the same player he was prior to his injury, which is to be somewhat expected. The Chargers defense has been a large liability so it becomes a question whether or not the team wants to even commit that much money to a player who has been pretty unproductive. What the Chargers do with Merriman will be a decision based on the ultimate risk-reward analysis, as well as a decision reflecting which of their many free agents they choose to and are able to retain. Remember that the team also drafted pass rusher Larry English in the first round last year.

Karlos Dansby, Arizona Cardinals (28)

Dansby hasn’t played badly this year by any means, but he hasn’t made too many game changing plays either. The key to Dansby’s future will be what his contract expectations are. He isn’t quite worth the type of money the Ravens paid to Terrell Suggs, but at the same time, he’s one of the cornerstones to the Cardinals defense which has allowed a league low 3.0 yards per carry going into week 8. Dansby can do it all really, but can the Cardinals afford to re-sign him?

DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans (25)

Ryans has been a stalwart for the Texans, displaying consistency from game-to-game and year-to-year. With rookie sensation Brian Cushing next to him, the Texans have the beginnings of a good front 7. Ryans would like a long-term contract with the Texans, but if the two sides can’t reach a deal, there’s a good chance he would be willing to accept a deal elsewhere. Still, Houston will almost definitely re-sign Ryans and work around the foundation of Ryans-Cushing-Williams in the front 7.

Thomas Davis, Carolina Panthers (26)

Davis started his career on a sour note at safety, but has since converted to become a superb outside linebacker. Next to Jon Beason, the Panthers have a very nice young corps that they should be able to maintain over the next decade. Continuing his success from last season, Davis has played very well again for the Panthers. His presence is being felt in coverage where he has 2 picks and 5 deflected passes. The Panthers would be crazy to let Davis move on because he and Beason make a great punch in the linebacking corps.

Kirk Morrison, Oakland Raiders (27)

Morrison has been a guarantee in the Raiders starting lineup for his entire five year career now. He leads a unit that is solid, but unspectacular. Morrison is as sure a tackler as any in the league, but has failed to make many big plays. The Raiders should try and re-sign him, and teammate Howard who do a nice job week in and week out. However, many have suggested the poor attitude inside the Raiders’ locker room which could tempt Morrison to bolt and move to another team.

Thomas Howard, Oakland Raiders (26)

Howard’s ability to cover ground has helped him become the coverage backer he is today, but year after year, the Raiders finish near the bottom of the pack in run defense. Not to put the blame on Howard, but you have to think that the Raiders may be considering moves that reflect this. Howard is a nice blitzer and does a better job of making big plays than his teammate Kirk Morrison, but is also less stout against the run at outside linebacker. Not to use a repeated joke, but Howard does have incredible speed, which may account for something when Al Davis considers his contract re-signings.

D’Qwell Jackson, Cleveland Browns (25)

Even after missing one game, D’Qwell Jackson remained the team leader in tackles and was one of the cornerstones of the Browns defense. He injured his shoulder in a loss to the Steelers, which has forced him to the Injured Reserve and has ruined his contract year. With few pieces to build around, the Browns will chart his recovery and try to re-sign him based on how he’s progressing.

Other Notable Free Agents:

Antwan Barnes, Baltimore Ravens (24) – Restricted FA

Bertrand Berry, Arizona Cardinals (34)

Chase Blackburn, New York Giants (26)

Gary Brackett, Indianapolis Colts (29)

Tedy Bruschi, New England Patriots (36)

Keith Bulluck, Tennessee Titans (32)

Brandon Chillar, Green Bay Packers (26)

Danny Clark, New York Giants (32)

Angelo Crowell, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (28)

Keith Ellison, Buffalo Bills (25)

Larry Foote, Detroit Lions (29)

Scott Fujita, New Orleans Saints (30)

Omar Gaither, Philadelphia Eagles (25)

Chris Gocong, Philadelphia Eagles (25)

Clint Ingram, Jacksonville Jaguars (26)

Rashad Jeanty, Cincinnati Bengals (26)

Derrick Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs (26)

Akeem Jordan, Philadelphia Eagles (24) – Restricted FA

Cato June, Houston Texans (29)

Rocky McIntosh, Washington Redskins (26)

Matt Roth, Miami Dolphins (26)

Jason Taylor, Miami Dolphins (35)

Zach Thomas, Kansas City Chiefs (36)

Pisa Tinoisamoa, Chicago Bears (28)

Stephen Tulloch, Tennessee Titans (24)

Mike Vrabel, Kansas City Chiefs (34

Ideally, I'd go with Dansby as the Strong Side backer, he can rush and cover (Giants prob won't spend money here since they drafted Sintim, but you never know). And Demaco Ryans at MLB.

Realistically, at Strong Side, maybe we can get Gocong, Derrick Johnson, and/or McIntosh.

Where did you get the list btw?

Ideally, I'd go with Dansby as the Strong Side backer, he can rush and cover (Giants prob won't spend money here since they drafted Sintim, but you never know). And Demaco Ryans at MLB.

Realistically, at Strong Side, maybe we can get Gocong, Derrick Johnson, and/or McIntosh.

Where did you get the list btw?

geesh, do you need me to quote my sources, spaghetti shitter! :rolleyes:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/lb.html