SportsWrath

Besides the coaching staff...I think I know whats wrong with the Giants

MakeMeSomeFoodHo

Most of this thread is about how the defense has been letting the Giants down. But I actually do know what is wrong with the Giants and the vast majority of it is not the defense.

I will say that there is room for improvement there. Unfortunately, we probably would've won a couple more games had we had Boley for the full compliment of games so far. C.C. Brown starting has been a disaster. A few of us posters questioned the Giants' front office/coaching staff on why they went into the season with CC Brown as the only backup at both safety positions. Particularly when there were solid players available in free agency that could've come in to shore up that position, like Bernard Pollard. Pollard has turned in a very good season for the Texans thus far, btw. Rouse was a fine pickup, but his addition came too late, and he did not displace Brown soon enough, presumably because he just wasn't ready playbook-wise.

The pass rush has been too average. Analysts that predicted a year and a half recovery time for Osi were probably right. There are signs that he is beginning to play better. We need him now. But the Tuck injury in Dallas was pretty devastating, especially seeing as it came from an illegal trip by Flozell Adams. Tuck has not been the same playing with the injured labrum since.

But overall, the defense has been good enough to win, if not dominating. The real reason we have been losing is because our offensive line has not played well. They have not protected Eli well enough, and he is taking far too many hits, and far too many passes are being thrown out of rhythm due to consistent pressure. I have my concerns that this O-line is also playing hurt, and I believe a couple of the guys are also playing with partially torn labrums. I suspect that the injuries on the O-line is the reason for the reduced effectiveness. Secondly, Jacobs does not look like the same runner from last year. He is being brought down by arm tackles. Bradshaw has also played hurt all season and when he's been in he hasn't been quite as explosive as we expect him to be.

The injuries have come home to roost. With the ineffectiveness of the offense, the Giants have not afforded the defense a break. The Giants need more sustained drives on offense to help our defense. I don't care if your defense is the 2000 Ravens, you cannot go out there time after time with your offense going 3 and out and stop your opponent. They will get to you eventually, and that is what has happened to the Giants.

I still think they can get it together, but they have no time to waste now.

Most of this thread is about how the defense has been letting the Giants down. But I actually do know what is wrong with the Giants and the vast majority of it is not the defense.

I will say that there is room for improvement there. Unfortunately, we probably would've won a couple more games had we had Boley for the full compliment of games so far. C.C. Brown starting has been a disaster. A few of us posters questioned the Giants' front office/coaching staff on why they went into the season with CC Brown as the only backup at both safety positions. Particularly when there were solid players available in free agency that could've come in to shore up that position, like Bernard Pollard. Pollard has turned in a very good season for the Texans thus far, btw. Rouse was a fine pickup, but his addition came too late, and he did not displace Brown soon enough, presumably because he just wasn't ready playbook-wise.

The pass rush has been too average. Analysts that predicted a year and a half recovery time for Osi were probably right. There are signs that he is beginning to play better. We need him now. But the Tuck injury in Dallas was pretty devastating, especially seeing as it came from an illegal trip by Flozell Adams. Tuck has not been the same playing with the injured labrum since.

But overall, the defense has been good enough to win, if not dominating. The real reason we have been losing is because our offensive line has not played well. They have not protected Eli well enough, and he is taking far too many hits, and far too many passes are being thrown out of rhythm due to consistent pressure. I have my concerns that this O-line is also playing hurt, and I believe a couple of the guys are also playing with partially torn labrums. I suspect that the injuries on the O-line is the reason for the reduced effectiveness. Secondly, Jacobs does not look like the same runner from last year. He is being brought down by arm tackles. Bradshaw has also played hurt all season and when he's been in he hasn't been quite as explosive as we expect him to be.

The injuries have come home to roost. With the ineffectiveness of the offense, the Giants have not afforded the defense a break. The Giants need more sustained drives on offense to help our defense. I don't care if your defense is the 2000 Ravens, you cannot go out there time after time with your offense going 3 and out and stop your opponent. They will get to you eventually, and that is what has happened to the Giants.

I still think they can get it together, but they have no time to waste now.

Valid points.