SportsWrath

The Coaches

Lughead

"Speaking of Umenyiora, he might want to consider changing his approach to rushing the quarterback. I lost count, but on far too many of the Broncos’ pass plays he came in way too wide at Orton - so wide, in fact, that he basically was rushing behind him. And he wasn’t always being force wide by the left tackle. Often he took that angle himself, which eventually took him right out of the play. Come to think of it, he was so out of the play so often, maybe that’s why McDaniels called so many runs to that side."

Damn, I think he stole that exact blurb from me.

this is a good one too:

"Thanks for the memories, Kevin Boss. After his breakout, two-touchdown game against Atlanta, he was back to being ignored. Just two catches for 22 yards. And yes, he caught both passes thrown in his direction."

Gary Meyers is the King of 2nd Guessers... I think he was also the 1st writer to call for Coughlin to be fired.

This much I'll say, though - straightening out this team is Coughlin's responsibility. However, firing his coordinators isn't the only option. Instead, he should be breaking things down with them, and telling them what is working, what isn't, and what he's expecting to see (and not see) from their respective gameplans.

For example, if he sees Canty or Tuck dropping back to cover a wide receiver, that's unacceptable.

If he sees Gilbride using a 260 pound running back like he's a scat back, that's unacceptable.

I've been highly critical for how Gilbride calls the running game; in my opinion, it was a big reason why they were one and done in the 2008 playoffs. I'm not sure if it is a physical problem, a mental problem, or something else, but I remember the Giants used to trample teams....I remember in particular when they absolutlely bulldozed a very tough Ravens defense with their power running game.

Same running back, same offensive line, and no clue as to what happened between now and then.

Gary Meyers is the King of 2nd Guessers... I think he was also the 1st writer to call for Coughlin to be fired.

This much I'll say, though - straightening out this team is Coughlin's responsibility. However, firing his coordinators isn't the only option. Instead, he should be breaking things down with them, and telling them what is working, what isn't, and what he's expecting to see (and not see) from their respective gameplans.

For example, if he sees Canty or Tuck dropping back to cover a wide receiver, that's unacceptable.

If he sees Gilbride using a 260 pound running back like he's a scat back, that's unacceptable.

I've been highly critical for how Gilbride calls the running game; in my opinion, it was a big reason why they were one and done in the 2008 playoffs. I'm not sure if it is a physical problem, a mental problem, or something else, but I remember the Giants used to trample teams....I remember in particular when they absolutlely bulldozed a very tough Ravens defense with their power running game.

Same running back, same offensive line, and no clue as to what happened between now and then.

Jacobs is running soft(er), but I think the big issue is the offensive line. Seubert and O'Hara are try-hard guys now on the wrong side of 30. Diehl has always been athletically over-matched at LT... haven't noticed him in the run game, he should still be solid there, but his pass protection is becoming a major issue. And even when in the line-up, McKenzie has been banged up. I think we've got to look to the future on the OL.

Seubert needs to go back to the bench, Diehl needs to come back inside, and someone...ANYONE needs to step up and hold down LT. Whimper or the rook? I don't know yet. But get McKenzie healthy and I think we can live with O'Hara for a couple more years.

Jacobs is running soft(er), but I think the big issue is the offensive line. Seubert and O'Hara are try-hard guys now on the wrong side of 30. Diehl has always been athletically over-matched at LT... haven't noticed him in the run game, he should still be solid there, but his pass protection is becoming a major issue. And even when in the line-up, McKenzie has been banged up. I think we've got to look to the future on the OL.

Seubert needs to go back to the bench, Diehl needs to come back inside, and someone...ANYONE needs to step up and hold down LT. Whimper or the rook? I don't know yet. But get McKenzie healthy and I think we can live with O'Hara for a couple more years.

You might be right. In free agency and the draft, getting a quality guard, center, or tackle makes sense.

Losing Gray Ruegamer to free agency was a bigger loss than it looked on paper....the guy was a very solid backup, and was capable of playing anywhere along the line.

I think part of it, if this was true, had to do with how Gilbride was using Jacobs early on. (Yes, you are reading correctly, I'm criticizing something Gilbride did!) Jacobs simply isn't Ward, and shouldn't be running plays as if he was. You could have gotten away with that with Ware, but when Ware was injured, and with Brown going from the draft to IR, those plays should have been shelved for a while.

I don't know if you can blame O'Hara for our offensive line woes. From what I've noticed, it looks like it's the sides of the pocket that collapse, not the pocket being driven back into Manning.

I think Beatty is a starter next year, although I'm not sure which tackle spot. Both could use some upgrading.

i could see beatty starting at LT, deihl moving to RT, and mcckenzie out. he seems to have fallen off a bit. and then we find a free agent/early draft pick to compete with seubert.

or

beatty starting at RT, deihl staying at LT and same scenario for guard

or

diehl moves in to take over for seubert, beatty at LT and keeping mcckenzie at RT

i see what you're saying, crazeddog. i know i'm in the minority on this but i think it's the receivers that make the OL look bad. first of all, there's more one on one coverage because they do not fear our receivers. even when they get open, they don't fear their speed. secondly, eli is holding on to the ball longer to let the routes develop. a lot of his sacks and hurries have been on the coverage- not the blocking.

i see what you're saying, crazeddog. i know i'm in the minority on this but i think it's the receivers that make the OL look bad. first of all, there's more one on one coverage because they do not fear our receivers. even when they get open, they don't fear their speed. secondly, eli is holding on to the ball longer to let the routes develop. a lot of his sacks and hurries have been on the coverage- not the blocking.

what ive seen is eli having less time than hes had in recent years, hes had to buy more time by moving around because of worse blocking than ive seen in recent years. but i do agree that against better secondaries our WR's have had trouble getting open.

You might be right. In free agency and the draft, getting a quality guard, center, or tackle makes sense.

Losing Gray Ruegamer to free agency was a bigger loss than it looked on paper....the guy was a very solid backup, and was capable of playing anywhere along the line.

I'd say we need a solid free agent AND a relatively high draft pick. Hell, if I were the GM, I'd be drafting offensive linemen on the first day every year. Most important position on the field, IMO.

I've come to appreciate Eli's pocket presence this year... he's more mobile than he's been given credit, he definitely moves better than his big bro.

I think you've got a point though....

Steve Smith is playing great, hell, he's one of the best football players in the league... but he's not the kind of athlete that will get open against double coverage. Manningham has special talent, but he's inconsistant, and I get the feeling that Eli doesn't want to chuck the ball his way unless he's got a few steps on the defense. We've seen all Hixon has to offer... good backup, very good returner, nothing more. Maybe the best thing that could happen to the O is to give Nicks more playing time, he's the only one of the bunch with the chance to be a real game changer, but he only gets about a quarter's worth of reps each game.... and has four TDs already to show for it.

But its all linked together. I think if the OL was playing at its '07-'08 level the running game would still be clicking. Then its 8 in the box again, week in week out, and everyone would be talking about what a surprise the Giants great young receivers are.

I've come to appreciate Eli's pocket presence this year... he's more mobile than he's been given credit, he definitely moves better than his big bro.

I think you've got a point though....

Steve Smith is playing great, hell, he's one of the best football players in the league... but he's not the kind of athlete that will get open against double coverage. Manningham has special talent, but he's inconsistant, and I get the feeling that Eli doesn't want to chuck the ball his way unless he's got a few steps on the defense. We've seen all Hixon has to offer... good backup, very good returner, nothing more. Maybe the best thing that could happen to the O is to give Nicks more playing time, he's the only one of the bunch with the chance to be a real game changer, but he only gets about a quarter's worth of reps each game.... and has four TDs already to show for it.

But its all linked together. I think if the OL was playing at its '07-'08 level the running game would still be clicking. Then its 8 in the box again, week in week out, and everyone would be talking about what a surprise the Giants great young receivers are.

I agree about Eli- this may be his best season to date, considering the erosion of talent around him. And the receivers are good, just need to be complimented by someone who demands double coverage.

I'd say we need a solid free agent AND a relatively high draft pick. Hell, if I were the GM, I'd be drafting offensive linemen on the first day every year. Most important position on the field, IMO.

I would agree. I'd love to add some youth and strength to the Giants line.

I'm still convinced that the Giants needs a special player at linebacker, and if available in the first round, the Giants need to go after it. I'd also love to see them draft a destructive DT. But offensive lineman are critical, and if the Giants can get a monster in rounds 1-3, great.

I would agree. I'd love to add some youth and strength to the Giants line.

I'm still convinced that the Giants needs a special player at linebacker, and if available in the first round, the Giants need to go after it. I'd also love to see them draft a destructive DT. But offensive lineman are critical, and if the Giants can get a monster in rounds 1-3, great.

I don't buy into drafting a position, but I'd have a summer's worth of whacking material if the Giants get a LB in round 1 and a top interior offensive line prospect in round 2.

I don't buy into drafting a position, but I'd have a summer's worth of whacking material if the Giants get a LB in round 1 and a top interior offensive line prospect in round 2.

I agree. But without a doubt, defense is the top concern with this team, and I think LB solves the most problems (see Patrick Willis for a great example).

The AD of Notre Dame made a great point.....look at the top BCS standings, and you'll notice that all the best teams have excellent defenses. The Giants need to take a look there, and find the best damn linebacker from the top 10 programs, and go after him.

I'd love to see a Man-Mountain on the offensive interior with Snee, as well.

I agree. But without a doubt, defense is the top concern with this team, and I think LB solves the most problems (see Patrick Willis for a great example).

The AD of Notre Dame made a great point.....look at the top BCS standings, and you'll notice that all the best teams have excellent defenses. The Giants need to take a look there, and find the best damn linebacker from the top 10 programs, and go after him.

I'd love to see a Man-Mountain on the offensive interior with Snee, as well.

Brandon Spikes out of Florida would be a great pick for us, but he's looking at being a top 10 pick I think (of course we could end up with a top 10 pick <_<