SportsWrath

Phil Hughes

K3VIN

is he going to be in the pen or starting next year? to me its just a shame to see two young guys (the other being Joba ) with immense talent and just be Relief pitchers

They will both be given the chance again to prove themselves as reliable starters - if they prove themselves, they'll earn a spot in the rotatation. The reason they are where they are right now is because they have proven they can come into the game in relief with great success. Their opportunities to start have not been nearly as effective.

As soon as either one of them can prove they can consistantly win as a starter pitcher, they will get a starting role. I suspect Hughes to end up as a starter before Joba. If Joba becomes a shutdown pitcher in the pen, he could eventually be the successor to Mo.

Either or - both have a good future.

On a different note though, I suspect one of them could end up in Toronto in the Yanks effort to secure Roy Holladay before the Sox do. But....if either of them succeed at Toronto, they'll likely (fingers crossed) be back in pinstripes as a FA in a few years. That's just my opinion, but the Yanks really want Holladay and it would be disastrous if he goes to the Sox so they will probably do whatever necessary to pull the trigger on a trade and I imagine Toronto still wants one or the other in a deal. If the Yanks can get Holladay without parting with Hughes or Joba...I will be ecstatic.

is he going to be in the pen or starting next year? to me its just a shame to see two young guys (the other being Joba ) with immense talent and just be Relief pitchers

I agree completely. Concerning Hughes, it seems his degree of success depends on arm strength, and I don’t know how else you can get that without pitching till all those little muscles in your body are near exhaustion, or maybe roids. I wouldn’t have put him in the pen to begin with. He was just starting to come on when he was put out there to make room for Wang when Wang wasn’t doing too bad out there himself. His sinker was working lights out. No one can predict, but it’s possible Wang would have stayed healthy if he did stay out there.

As far as Joba goes, I’m not sure he has the mentality to be either a closer or a set up guy. Although he was able to work out of few jams of his own making. He was pitching well in the first half of the season, so who knows what went wrong, Joba rules, lack of maturity, or what.

I just hope we don’t trade either of these guys for a 32 yr old pitcher, especially if we have to throw in Moreno and Jackson.

Cashman has been banking on Joba and Hughes as being starters for the past couple of years. You'll definitely see them in the starting rotation with Hughes probably having some type of limitations aka the Hughes Rules. I wasn't a fan of the Joba Rules and I think it hurt more then helped but time will tell with how Hughes responds.

If Boston gets Halladay, hopefully that will mean they traded Clay Bucholz for him. Bucholz is the real deal and although he'd still be in the division, Id much rather him be pitching for the blu jays than the red sox when he reaches his prime.

Actually, the Jays might have the best pitchig staff in the league in a few years(assuming they get Bucholz for Halladay)...Bucholz, Romero, McGowan, Marcum, Richmond, Rzepczynski, Purcey ...thats a really good, young staff with some depth