SportsWrath

Giants running game

Lughead

I love this, this cracks me up.

"What Ingram meant by that statement is that earlier in the season, the Giants were asking Jacobs to run plays that Derrick Ward used to run. Ward, remember, was effective as an east-west runner, and many of his plays required that starting and stopping and changing of direction."

I know I already made a comment on this before, but cmon. Why do we even have Ahmad Bradshaw if not for him to be that third down, east to west, shifty runner that we miss in Derrick Ward? You're giving a 6 foot 4, 260 lb running back the ball, asking him to make the plays someone 5'10, 180 used to run....obviously that's a recipe for disaster.

"worried about his ball control and inconsistency" or not, you have to put some trust in a kid that put up nearly 400 yards as a 3rd running back, and has, to this point, far eclipsed that. Besides, in 3 years, Ahmad has lost 1 fumble. I don't get the inconsistency statement either, he averages 6.1 ypc on his career. He's the perfect back for what they were asking Jacobs to do.

I love this, this cracks me up.

"What Ingram meant by that statement is that earlier in the season, the Giants were asking Jacobs to run plays that Derrick Ward used to run. Ward, remember, was effective as an east-west runner, and many of his plays required that starting and stopping and changing of direction."

I know I already made a comment on this before, but cmon. Why do we even have Ahmad Bradshaw if not for him to be that third down, east to west, shifty runner that we miss in Derrick Ward? You're giving a 6 foot 4, 260 lb running back the ball, asking him to make the plays someone 5'10, 180 used to run....obviously that's a recipe for disaster.

"worried about his ball control and inconsistency" or not, you have to put some trust in a kid that put up nearly 400 yards as a 3rd running back, and has, to this point, far eclipsed that. Besides, in 3 years, Ahmad has lost 1 fumble. I don't get the inconsistency statement either, he averages 6.1 ypc on his career. He's the perfect back for what they were asking Jacobs to do.

Agreed.

Its starting to look like when the Giants have success ....its in spite of the coaching ....not because of it.

It always has been and Ive always mentioned it. Our players bailed out our retarded coaches (minus Spags ofcourse) with great play. The coaching was always retarded. Now since we lack some of those players, the coaching is starting to show. Fucking OC and DC and HC. :ranting2:

Here is another good article today about the running game, and Jacobs in particular.

Jacobs addresses "stop and start"

From 1996 through 2002, Tom Coughlin's Jaguars had to find a way to stop Titans running back Eddie George twice per season. Though he was a member of Jacksonvilles offensive staff, running backs coach Jerald Ingram provided some feedback by telling the defense the key was getting a big runner like George to stop his feet.

You make them restart, Ingram said the other day. Because those long striders can't restart

Ingram is now dealing with the other end of the equation, working with another long-striding runner who has had issues with stopping and starting this season.

That player is Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, who has 617 yards rushing through the teams first nine games and is on pace for a career-high 1,096 yards. But considering he would do so in three more games than he played last season, when he had 1,089 yards, its clear the big back's efficiency is down. In fact, his 4.1 yards per carry is his lowest since his rookie season in 2005, when he averaged only 2.6 yards per attempt

Ingram said the Giants wanted to beef up their protection with Jacobs, so they had him as the running back in many passing situations early this season. Putting him in for only passing plays would be tipping their plays, so Jacobs was required to run slow-developing draws and sweeps plays not suited for his powerful, downhill style.

There were some early games, in Tampa (in Week 3), where we had him (running) east and west and those kinds of things. That's not what a long-strider does, Ingram said. I dont recall Eddie George being in those kinds of situations and having to go east and west and follow the guard and do those kinds of things. Little scat backs do those kinds of things.

The past couple of weeks, the Giants havent asked Jacobs to run those plays and have instead had him moving downhill and making only one cut. The result: in his past four games, Jacobs has 51 carries for 262 yards (a 5.1 yards-per-carry average).

Ingram believes Jacob's success will continue now that Ware is back and confident in his arm after testing it on two carries for 9 yards against San Diego. If the 234-pound Ware is able to handle blitzers while running shotgun draws effectively, those responsibilities will be taken away from Jacobs, who could then focus on running with power.