SportsWrath

Panicking with Panache

fishgutmartyr

Ut-oh...

There’s a communication problem with the Giants’ defense right now.

Oh, and get this: there’s a communication problem about the fact there’s a communication problem.

Thursday, after four days of the players saying the big plays they’ve allowed recently are partly because the calls haven’t been relayed properly, defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan acted like it was the first he was hearing of the issue the unit’s leaders have been raising.

"You have to ask them. I don’t know what they’re talking about," Sheridan said when asked about the communication problems mentioned by Justin Tuck, Antonio Pierce and Mathias Kiwanuka, among others. "They haven’t come to me regarding that."

Sounds like they should, um, communicate about it before Sunday’s game against the Chargers.

"If there is (a problem)," Sheridan said, "I would love to hear about it."

Maybe it’s more something he should see – as in watching Eagles running back LeSean McCoy running past a confused front and into the secondary for a 66-yard touchdown on a play that should have been a 5-yard gain at best. Or seeing DeSean Jackson catching a 54-yard touchdown because safety C.C. Brown didn’t notice the coverage call from Pierce.

Okay, so perhaps the calls came from the sideline in time and Sheridan isn’t to blame. But the fact he’s suggesting he doesn’t realize there’s a communication problem amongst his players – and claims he hasn’t discussed it with them – seems a bit odd.

"They could explain it to you, what they are referring to," he said.

Lately, the Giants’ defense has been affected by a number of issues, including poor tackling, bad angles and a lack of confidence in what the unit is doing. The players and Sheridan continue to talk about how they’re not getting blown off the ball and overwhelmed as an entire unit.

Um, if you're defensive coordinator, how the fuck don't you know that your players are talking to the press about communication problems?

You're at meetings, right? You have direct access to these guys, right? You've lost 2 of the last 3 games by giving up 40+ points, and you say shit like this!?

This defensive coordinator is qualifying for clueless. I was cutting him some slack for the injuries, but there's more going on here.

This Kevin Gilbride character is the worst defensive coordinator I've seen in a while--oh, wait...

Again, Sheridan is reminding me a lot like Lewis. Remember when Lewis had a press conference and stated he needed to communicate better. Lewis also had a hard time getting any kind of pressure. I guess the silver lining is that those teams still made the playoffs. :ph34r:

Again, Sheridan is reminding me a lot like Lewis. Remember when Lewis had a press conference and stated he needed to communicate better. Lewis also had a hard time getting any kind of pressure. I guess the silver lining is that those teams still made the playoffs. :ph34r:

Yeah, thanks for the reminder--those teams had Emmons and Griesen as starters at LB--maybe there's hope after all...

Simplifiying the problems (plural) as mere commnucation problem (singular) is dishonest. That's the epitome of incompetence. They say once is an accident.. twice is a trend and three times.. well we're just fucked. Did these players just start playing togehter? Didn't they get their asses handed to them by the Saints? THREE FUCKING WEEKS AGO? And it's not just "poor tackling" and "bad angles" FUCK YOU SPOILED MILLIONAIRES... it's flat out AVOIDING THE FUCKING TACKLES. I saw it during the game against the Eagles as I sure as hell see it in mere pick up games.

I applauded the Giants for promoting Sheridan because we all need to further our careers. What I didn't know is is how ill-qualified he is. YOU DON'T just lay an egg in the game of the year (Saints) and you sure the fuck don't let warner beat you... and you sure as fuck don't get blown out by the Eagles... our division foe whom we respect a great deal... evidently a few bad apples on that defense are to blame... CC Brown has no heart.. no skill and no fucking pride... Fuck him, fuck Sheridan, fuck Gilbride.. oh and fuck Eli for throwing in to triple coverage.

Ut-oh...

Um, if you're defensive coordinator, how the fuck don't you know that your players are talking to the press about communication problems?

You're at meetings, right? You have direct access to these guys, right? You've lost 2 of the last 3 games by giving up 40+ points, and you say shit like this!?

This defensive coordinator is qualifying for clueless. I was cutting him some slack for the injuries, but there's more going on here.

This Kevin Gilbride character is the worst defensive coordinator I've seen in a while--oh, wait...

uh oh...thats an understatement. Its like something out of the Johnnie Lynn years (a DC that made Tim Lewis look good).

Communication is one aspect of play execution that you'd think the defensive coordinator would have some control over.