SportsWrath

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

NightFire

The Good:

1. The Giants are 5-1.
  2. Hixon was great retuning kicks.
  3. Tynes hit his long FG and PATs.
  4. Nicks looking good.
  5. RBs averaging almost 5 yards a carry.
  6. Small silver lining but all the NFC East teams also lost.

The Bad:

1. Gilbride not running the ball more, 17 attempts, when it was working well to slow the game down and control the clock. Maybe he needs to call Miami and see how it can be done. The bullshit play calling is even worse because the Saints actually rushed 20 times more than the Giants. Fuck Gilbride get your shit together.
  2. This is part of #1 but those bullshit bombs that caused 3 and outs when the D was already battered. Sure it would have been great if Eli hit the WRs but they were the wrong call for the situation.
  3. Sheridan for not sending the house at Brees on pass plays. The bullshit Lewis soft D was doing nothing so what's there to lose? Hell at least send Brown because he ain't doing shit in coverage anyway.
  4. Coughlin for not making Gilbride run more and letting Sheridan continue with the scheme that was getting no pressure.
  5. Third down efficiency of 30% for the Giants. Again when the O needed to desperately bailout the D they couldn't.

The Ugly:

1. CC Brown for his shoddy tackling and over all poor play. This hasn't been his only poor game and clearly the Saints were targeting him as the weak link. Hell most the time Brees was just lobbing one to whoever Brown was covering knowing it was a safe throw.
  2. The DLine for not being able to get any pass rush and not being able to stop the run either. For the best part of the Giants D it sure wasn't on Sunday.
  3. The bullshit officiating by the Refs. I hate blaming the refs for losses but there was some huge bullshit calls against the Giants. Probably not as bad as the Browns Steelers game bullshit call but there were many against the Giants.
  4. Penalties, 9 - 110, in a game where you needed to play well is terrible. The refs helped to pad that number but there were a lot of bonehead penalties also.

I am sure there are many more I missed so post and discuss the mess that was Sunday's game. :cwy:

The Good - Im glad it was this early in the season.

The Bad - Gilbride (but then again this has been cocklick material for a very long time, he is just a very poor OC), CC, Webster, Osi (owned by a fucking rookie!), D Line, 3rd downs.....and so on and so forth

The Ugly - Jesus! I dont know, I went hyper on the bad itself. Technically bad and ugly could make a proper mix.

P.S - Nicks looked good. Hixon looked good. Jacobs probably got a little bit of his fire back (wrong game though)

The Good - Im glad it was this early in the season.

The Bad - Gilbride (but then again this has been cocklick material for a very long time, he is just a very poor OC), CC, Webster, Osi (owned by a fucking rookie!), D Line, 3rd downs.....and so on and so forth

The Ugly - Jesus! I dont know, I went hyper on the bad itself. Technically bad and ugly could make a proper mix.

P.S - Nicks looked good. Hixon looked good. Jacobs probably got a little bit of his fire back (wrong game though)

I almost put Webster and the secondary in the bad but really with no pressure on Brees an all star secondary would have been screwed also. The DLine was the major ugly as it was supposed to be unstoppable this year and disappeared. :ranting2:

How the fuck you guys can pin this on Gilbride is beyond me. We were down by at least two scores for the entire game. OF COURSE he had to throw the ball. I swear you guys won't be happy until we're running the wishbone.

I have defended Gilbride many times and this loss is definitely on the D but running and having long drives would have helped to at least rest the D and keep Brees off the field. Bradshaw and Jacobs were running well and getting into a shootout with the Saints is a losing proposition. I think the O could have immensely helped the D by winning the time of possession fight and hope the D, with the extra rest, can get a few stops. With the way the Saints manhandled the Giants I doubt there was any winning strategy but keeping Brees off the field I think would have helped a lot. Instead the Giants played to the Saints strengths and let them dictate the game.

How the fuck you guys can pin this on Gilbride is beyond me. We were down by at least two scores for the entire game. OF COURSE he had to throw the ball. I swear you guys won't be happy until we're running the wishbone.

I agree. I don't know a team in the league that would run the ball down three scores. Out of all the teams we face this year, I figured the Giants offense was/is best equipped to get back in the game airing it out. What did surprise me, is that you guys didn't get any pressure on Brees. The Bills and Jets exposed how weak our left side is and held Brees to under 200 yards. Jerome Bushrod is our backup, and he is not even close to starter material. I was very surprised the Giants did not exploit that.

I have defended Gilbride many times and this loss is definitely on the D but running and having long drives would have helped to at least rest the D and keep Brees off the field. Bradshaw and Jacobs were running well and getting into a shootout with the Saints is a losing proposition. I think the O could have immensely helped the D by winning the time of possession fight and hope the D, with the extra rest, can get a few stops. With the way the Saints manhandled the Giants I doubt there was any winning strategy but keeping Brees off the field I think would have helped a lot. Instead the Giants played to the Saints strengths and let them dictate the game.

Rest? The Saints scored TDs on their first five possessions! They were down 14pts before the offense saw the ball for the second time--they were already too deep in a hole to play ball-control. Especially if the opponent is matching your every score with a TD.

Unless Gilbride kept the defensive players awake the night before with night-terrors, I don't think resting the D was the problem.

The Good:

1. The Giants are 5-1.
  4. Nicks looking good.

The Bad:

1. Gilbride not running the ball more, 17 attempts, when it was working well to slow the game down and control the clock. Maybe he needs to call Miami and see how it can be done. The bullshit play calling is even worse because the Saints actually rushed 20 times more than the Giants. Fuck Gilbride get your shit together.
  2. This is part of #1 but those bullshit bombs that caused 3 and outs when the D was already battered. Sure it would have been great if Eli hit the WRs but they were the wrong call for the situation.
  3. Sheridan for not sending the house at Brees on pass plays. The bullshit Lewis soft D was doing nothing so what's there to lose? Hell at least send Brown because he ain't doing shit in coverage anyway.
  4. Coughlin for not making Gilbride run more and letting Sheridan continue with the scheme that was getting no pressure.
  5. Third down efficiency of 30% for the Giants. Again when the O needed to desperately bailout the D they couldn't.

The Ugly:

1. CC Brown for his shoddy tackling and over all poor play. This hasn't been his only poor game and clearly the Saints were targeting him as the weak link. Hell most the time Brees was just lobbing one to whoever Brown was covering knowing it was a safe throw.
  2. The DLine for not being able to get any pass rush and not being able to stop the run either. For the best part of the Giants D it sure wasn't on Sunday.
  3. The bullshit officiating by the Refs. I hate blaming the refs for losses but there was some huge bullshit calls against the Giants. Probably not as bad as the Browns Steelers game bullshit call but there were many against the Giants.
  4. Penalties, 9 - 110, in a game where you needed to play well is terrible. The refs helped to pad that number but there were a lot of bonehead penalties also.

I am sure there are many more I missed so post and discuss the mess that was Sunday's game. :cwy:

Pretty accurate assessment for the most part.

Though I'd add on to the ugly the astonishingly unadaptive nature of Sheridens Defensive playcalling last week.

Officiating was an issue, but we still got rocked nonetheless.

I also don't think Sheriden should have blitzed on every pass play. Should have blitzed more, but the problem was our LBs and down Safety really bit on play action, like EVERY play action play.

Good scheme by the Saints though. Hat off to Sean Payton for running the Play action with a 6th blocker so effectively. Really froze our defense. Again Sheriden never adapted to it.

I respectfully disagree, fish. I'm a supporter of Gilbride but even if you are down 14 or 17 pints in the first half, you can work your game plan. Eli and the offense looked frantic to get even and slowing the game down with ball control would've been a wise move. They reverted to the big play or die offense much too early. It might've been more on Eli than Gilbride. Don't know if it would've made a difference though.

I respectfully disagree, fish. I'm a supporter of Gilbride but even if you are down 14 or 17 pints in the first half, you can work your game plan. Eli and the offense looked frantic to get even and slowing the game down with ball control would've been a wise move. They reverted to the big play or die offense much too early. It might've been more on Eli than Gilbride. Don't know if it would've made a difference though.

I agree. I've worked my game plan plenty of times after downing 14-17 pints.

THE GOOD: My old analog TV finally called it quits :cheers: ....so I bought a new HD set and spent Sunday afternoon getting it set up. I had the Giants game running downstairs, and on DVR.....so I was able to avoid watching the full carnage.

THE BAD: Every time I came down to check the game, Drew Brees was inside the Giants 20, rifling the ball to some wide open guy over the middle. I took that as a bad sign.

THE UGLY: I did manage to catch the goal line stand at the end of the half…..but then, just when it looked like they had some life, all of a sudden there was that turnover..I went back upstairs, and then checked again, and saw that NO once again scored a TD :BullShit-1:

I’ll just assume the entire game was garbage, and delete the recording.

THE SILVER LINING: We got our asses kicked by Cleveland last year and then went on a huge roll. The year before that, we looked like chumps on more than a few occasions, but still beat a Patriots team that was Saints x 18 wins.

So, without getting myself worked up, I'm going to assume that New Orleans came out hot, we came out cold, and an asskicking ensued.

At least we didn't lose to the Raiders.

The Good:

1. The Giants are 5-1.
  4. Nicks looking good.

The Bad:

The Ugly:

Excellent post man I agree with everything you wrote. Osi needs more than a speed rush...between him and Kiwi...O lineman know all they have to do is push them to the outside and beyond the QB....Jesus wish we could have cloned Strahan.... :ranting2:

And Carl Banks was livid about Brown biting on Play Action on the 3rd and 19...."he almost said WTF....as in they are not going to run there...trust the D-line and LB's to do their job and cover your fucking man or zone. :jerkoff:

The Good:

1. The Giants are 5-1.
  4. Nicks looking good.

The Bad:

The Ugly:

I agree with Fish on Gilbride. No offense, but he mixed it up fine and the whole game plan changed down 14. I found one play, the 3rd and 3 when he went to Hixon deep, I didn't like that call. However Eli didn't have enough on it, in fact Eli was short and inaccurate quite a bit. He can thank Manningham that darren Sharper doesn't go over 100 yards for a TD. This game is on the defense and special teams who gave up 2 crucial 15 yard penalties that put NO in serious good field position. Coughlin too, way too much of the old whiny Tom if you ask me. But Gilbride is way down the list on Sunday, give the guy a break!!

LOL C.C. Brown

He was in on damn near every bad play we had on defense.

Yes not the fault of the offense. Yes I wish we had the time to run the ball. Yes it looked like Shaun Williams on defense. Yes we miss our wounded.

In other news... with the Eagles losing to the Raiders, both teams have now been asked to leave the NFL.

Dont get me wrong fish. Im not pinning just this loss on Gilbride. The entire team needs to have shit for dinner after their pathetic showing. Ive found Gilbride to be an offensive cunt for a very long time now and I stick to it. When the execution is good and things are going well, no issues. But when its not, then Gilfuck's brain shuts down. Even if you are down by 2 scores - it was still only the first quarter! No reason to abandon the run especially when our avg YPC was actually higher this game. He wasnt patient and didnt stick to a game plan. He panicked and abandoned it! Agreed, the result might not have been different. The Saint were just firing on all cylinders while we playing on a Toyota 1971 engine with 300000 miles on it!

On a 3rd and fucking 19 you get burned on PA??? WHO DOES THAT?? WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT??? And Osi couldnt for the life of it exploit the weak left side of the Saints OL? He got schooled by a rookie! Thats what pisses me off! We came out with 1/10th the energy that the Saint did. They brought their A-Game and we brought our F.

Exactly Ice....Sean Payton is all about misdirection and multiple shifts....as you remember from his days under I'm Driving The Bus when he was the Giants OC. But no excuse on a third and nineteen. Shit a H.S. safety knows that an Offense is gonna throw the ball period 99 times out of a 100 except when backed up against their own endzone. Yet C.C. Brown is vacating his position and running up to "protect" against a non-existent run because of play action. I think Sheridan's schemes are very vanilla. We should have been resting Tuck against the Raiders and Chiefs after he got hurt. Forget about strapping up his arm as he is playing at no where near his full strength. Yet another reason why that Broke Back fuck should have been suspended for a few games for his dirty play. :ranting2:

this game was all about the defense or lack their of. the dog can't understand the gilbride thing. everytime the giants lose a game, he seems to be the scapegoat for everyone. yet nobody wants to aknowledge this team's offensive success over the years with him. nobody talked about him when they put up 30 + points to beat the cowboys after the defense was shredded. to target gilbride this week makes no sense. maybe he didn't run the ball enough, but when you are on the sidelines and your defense is getting torched each drive, the game turns into a track meet in a hurry (this is what the saints have relied on), and they get you out of your game plan in a hurry...you have to be confident that the defense can make a stop so that you can settle things down...two games against better than sub-par competition, and the defense has laid an egg, yet the blame lies with gilbride? odd.

And I respectfully disagree with you, fuckface. (LOL, I fought this impulse for over a day, but it must have smoked some angel dust overnight. :freaked: Do NOT get offended, you know better.)

But seriously, after the field goal was kicked, our offense was keeping pace with them in the first half. And we've been feasting on the big play offense this entire season--we're right up there in passes of 20+ yards. Unfortunately, the fumble at the end of the half skewered that--which leaves us with the real problem Sunday:

Dont get me wrong fish. Im not pinning just this loss on Gilbride. The entire team needs to have shit for dinner after their pathetic showing. Ive found Gilbride to be an offensive cunt for a very long time now and I stick to it. When the execution is good and things are going well, no issues. But when its not, then Gilfuck's brain shuts down. Even if you are down by 2 scores - it was still only the first quarter! No reason to abandon the run especially when our avg YPC was actually higher this game. He wasnt patient and didnt stick to a game plan. He panicked and abandoned it! Agreed, the result might not have been different. The Saint were just firing on all cylinders while we playing on a Toyota 1971 engine with 300000 miles on it!

On a 3rd and fucking 19 you get burned on PA??? WHO DOES THAT?? WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT??? And Osi couldnt for the life of it exploit the weak left side of the Saints OL? He got schooled by a rookie! Thats what pisses me off! We came out with 1/10th the energy that the Saint did. They brought their A-Game and we brought our F.

You said it right there, Iceman: it's all about execution. They did, we didn't.

If there is no execution, you could have Belicheck and Don Coryell as coordinators, and the schemes aren't going to work. But we scored 17 points in the first half, and if we hadn't fumbled on that last drive and gotten some points instead, that game might have turned around. (After all, we had just had a goal-line stand.) Then again, maybe not...

Hell, I'm not even going to blame Sheridan for this one. I don't think there was a single defensive player that played up to their capability Sunday--sadly, with the possible exception of CC Brown.

Think about it: some of you are blaming Gilbride for getting out of his game plan, while simultaneously lambasting Sheridan for sticking with his.

I agree with Fish on Gilbride. No offense, but he mixed it up fine and the whole game plan changed down 14. I found one play, the 3rd and 3 when he went to Hixon deep, I didn't like that call. However Eli didn't have enough on it, in fact Eli was short and inaccurate quite a bit. He can thank Manningham that darren Sharper doesn't go over 100 yards for a TD. This game is on the defense and special teams who gave up 2 crucial 15 yard penalties that put NO in serious good field position. Coughlin too, way too much of the old whiny Tom if you ask me. But Gilbride is way down the list on Sunday, give the guy a break!!

I debated whether or not to put Gilbride in the list and I guess posting mad makes you over exaggerate sometimes. I have defended Gilbride many times as I feel he is a decent OC but he could have helped the D out by trying to grind the clock out and keep Brees off the field. The Giants weren't down by that much at half-time that they couldn't have caught up with a full half game left, 34-17 isn't insurmountable. The Giants have a great pair of RBs so really it should have been a no brainer to run, run, run and keep a reeling D off the field. I just feel that the Giants would have had a better chance of winning, although slim as it may have been, by keeping Brees on the sidelines as long as possible. Quick strike TDs are great but not when the opponent is going to just do the same thing to you. The Giants were in a bad situation trying to play that type of game.

this game was all about the defense or lack their of. the dog can't understand the gilbride thing. everytime the giants lose a game, he seems to be the scapegoat for everyone. yet nobody wants to aknowledge this team's offensive success over the years with him. nobody talked about him when they put up 30 + points to beat the cowboys after the defense was shredded. to target gilbride this week makes no sense. maybe he didn't run the ball enough, but when you are on the sidelines and your defense is getting torched each drive, the game turns into a track meet in a hurry (this is what the saints have relied on), and they get you out of your game plan in a hurry...you have to be confident that the defense can make a stop so that you can settle things down...two games against better than sub-par competition, and the defense has laid an egg, yet the blame lies with gilbride? odd.

I've been a regular critic of Killdrive, but this loss goes right on the defense. I can understand that NO is going to get their yards. but the Giants red zone defense has been piss poor this season. The Dallas game is another example.