SportsWrath

Phillips Could Be Done For The Year

Mr. P

Yes CC sucks but Phillips hasn't exactly reached his potential yet.

What I find mind-boggling is how the fuck they didn't discover this in the off-season.

He got hurt the second week of training camp. Phillips went 5 days striaght with an int.

Aaron Rouse is fucking bad ass, He's 6-4 225 with 4.3 speed....

He got hurt the second week of training camp. Phillips went 5 days striaght with an int.

Aaron Rouse is fucking bad ass, He's 6-4 225 with 4.3 speed....

correct but neither has risen to the point where we could say we would be suffering without them.. yes they have great great potential.. so for now our team is at a strength level where we're not missing much.. when they come back we'll be that much better.

Holy fuck, this Could be Career Ending Injury

Phillips injury may be career-threatening

Thursday September 24, 2009 5:27 PM By Tom Rock

Kenny Phillips’ season is over. And it may be worse than that.

The Giants today said he’s been diagnosed with patellofemoral arthritis in his left knee. Not only is that enough to put him on injured reserve. It is, according to a noted orthopedist (who it should be noted has not examined Phillips or his MRI results), a career-threatening condition.

“I would have rather them said he tore his ACL and his MCL,” said Dr. Craig Levitz. “That’s a much better injury to have. We can fix that. If he tore his meniscus, we can fix that. Even if he tore his knee ligaments, we can fix those. It’s just a matter of how good he rehabs whether he gets back.

“Arthritis, we cant fix that,” he said.

Levitz said that Yankees outfielder Hideki Matsui is suffering from the same situation. In that case they drain his knee regularly and inject him with cortisone shots every three months or so. With Phillips, that wouldn’t be an option. And Levitz said he doesn’t think surgery will help either.

“You can’t stop it from progressing, you just have to hope it doesn’t progress,” he said. “Arthritis only goes in one direction. It only gets worse, it never gets better.”

By strengthening the quadriceps and other muscles around the knee Phillips can help to support the joint and reduce the pain. But the arthritis will never go away without a knee replacement.

“The reason why they’re probably weighing their options is not because they don’t know what to do,” Levitz said. “It’s because there are no good options and they are trying to pick the best option for him with no good option. There’s no option that will give him an extremely high chance of feeling a lot better.”

Levitz said that because Phillips could run on the knee – he had two interceptions on Sunday and said on Wednesday that he suffered no further damage to the joint – it means that the Giants are concerned about his future beyond even this season.

The Giants don't consider it career-threatening. “It’s serious stuff,” a source said, adding optimistically that “success rates on procedures are much better now than a few years ago.”

Still, Kenny Phillips’ best game in the NFL might have been his last. “To me,” Levitz said, “that is a career threatening injury.”

UPDATE: Glauber is hearing the same thing from a different doc.

+ Share Email Print

correct but neither has risen to the point where we could say we would be suffering without them.. yes they have great great potential.. so for now our team is at a strength level where we're not missing much.. when they come back we'll be that much better.

Maybe Phillips hadn't reached his potential, but he was playing like an All-Pro right now. Re-watch the Cowboys game and see how many plays he made. I'm not just talking about the INT's, either. KP was a monster, his loss cannot be understated. Hopefully, our coaches can get this Rouse kid to realize his potential.

Maybe Phillips hadn't reached his potential, but he was playing like an All-Pro right now. Re-watch the Cowboys game and see how many plays he made. I'm not just talking about the INT's, either. KP was a monster, his loss cannot be understated. Hopefully, our coaches can get this Rouse kid to realize his potential.

Maybe I'm down-playing Phillips to reduce the anger I feel for losing him... however I hope all is well for him playing football or not.

As far as Rouse.. I thought Nem just misspelled Ross??? I know nothing about him.

I'm more concerned about Kenny Phillips long term now. How well is he bouncing back from this a year or two years from now and can he? Should have been more aggressive in looking into his knee and the swelling than deciding just to manage it through the NFL season.

Let's all remember the gmen the Superbowl with James Butler as starting FS who was about 5 yards behind the receiver at all times.

No reason to freak out. CC will be fine. I'm more concerned with CB depth.

yeah our defense relies mostly on dline and CB's.

but phillips was looking like he was gonna be a very good safety

Think so? Thomas is only an average tackler, and Safety is a demanding tackling position.

I think we'll be fine once we get Ross and Dockery back at corners.

I'm comfortable with a rotation of Johnson, CC Brown and Rouse at safety.

Yeah, I think so... I didn't say he'd be good...just better than Dockery. Dude is 5'8", probably not 190 pounds, I wouldnt' want Dockery at safety. Terrell Thomas has more appropriate size for the position.