SportsWrath

Phillips Could Be Done For The Year

Mr. P

kenny-phillips-new-york-giants-924jpgjpg-ba2e62ff4f6b197b_large.jpg

NY Giants safety Kenny Phillips might be headed to injured reserve

Kenny Phillips and the Giants were hoping he'd "manage" his knee injury for the entire 2009 season.

They might have made it only two weeks.

The second-year safety and former first-round pick, who grabbed two interceptions against the Cowboys this past Sunday, might be placed on injured reserve soon, according to someone informed of the coming transaction. The person requested anonymity because the transaction hasn't been announced yet.

Phillips was not on the practice field this morning with the rest of his teammates, as he had been while sitting out practices since training camp.

ProFootballTalk.com was first to report the latest news and says he's suffering from cartilage damage. That's consistent with a report from The Star-Ledger last week that stated Phillips had not damaged any knee ligaments but that surgery was a possible option in the near future.

A Giants spokesman said only, "We'll see," when asked about the latest developments. Coach Tom Coughlin will address the media after practice at roughly 1:30 p.m.

Including Phillips, the Giants have just eight defensive backs on their active roster: Five cornerbacks and three safeties. Undrafted rookie free agent safety Sha'reff Rashad is on the practice squad.

The Giants might also look to the waiver wire and the free-agent market for a veteran safety. One option is Steve Cargile, who was with them this past off-season and was cut before the start of camp. Cargile is familiar with the Giants' system (and the Buccaneers' scheme, as he was cut by them earlier this week) but the 27-year old only has 16 games' experience in four years.

Aaron Rouse, cut by the Packers this week, could also be an option. And there's also Charlie Peprah, their fifth-round pick in 2006, who spent the last three seasons with Green Bay. Peprah was let go by the Packers with an injury settlement. It's unclear if he's healthy yet.

Source: The Star-Ledger

Coughlin says he's "not at liberty" to discuss Phillips

Posted by Mike Florio on September 24, 2009 3:55 PM ET

Giants coach Tom Coughlin has addressed the report that safety Kenny Phillips, who has two interceptions in two games, could be heading for season-ending knee surgery.

But Coughlin really didn't have anything to say.

Kenny Phillips, there are a lot of circumstances involved here and I am not at liberty to say anything at this point," Coughlin said Sunday, per Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News.

"There are other things [beyond medical circumstances] involved," Coughlin said. "There are other circumstances surrounding not just Kenny but what's going on around. and I'm not at liberty to talk about that until those other issues get settled. That is the best I can do for you today. I am not trying to duck your questions. I am just telling you that there are other issues."

Asked whether the other issues related to the availability of other players at the position, Coughlin said, "Maybe."

When it comes to injured players, Coughlin is required only to submit a practice participation report, and to designate on Friday whether an injured player is probable, questionable, doubtful, or out. So Coughlin is fully within his rights to say nothing more to anyone.

And the Giants probably would have preferred that none of this get out, since once it's known that a team needs help at a given position, the price for potential replacements might go up.

Or, possibly, available players might be scarfed up. Safety Bernard Pollard, for example, signed this afternoon with the Texans. Maybe the Texans were dragging their feet on this one, and maybe once they caught wind of Phillips' condition, they opted to get the deal done.

Source:

profootballtalk.com

Sep 23 S Aaron Rouse was released by the Packers. Rouse started last Sunday in place of injured SS Atari Bigby and had been expected to for at least a few more weeks. Rouse showed flashes as a playmaker with four interceptions through his first two seasons, highlighted by a team-record-tying 99-yard return for a touchdown on a pick of the Indianapolis Colts' Peyton Manning last season. Yet, Rouse has been flawed technique-wise in the past, due in part to being a taller player at 6-foot-4.

Giants IR Phillips; Awarded Aaron Rouse Off Waivers

As expected, the Giants have placed safety Kenny Phillips on the injured reserve list with a knee injury. The second-year safety is expected to undergo surgery to repair a cartilage problem.

Taking Phillips’ roster spot is veteran free agent Aaron Rouse, who was awarded to the Giants off waivers from Green Bay. The 25-year old Rouse is 6-4, 227 and played his college ball at Virginia Tech. In two games this year with the Packers, Rouse has 12 tackles (10 solo) and zero sacks.

Phillips, who was looking forward to having a big season in this, his second year, finishes with 13 tackles (nine solo), two pass breakups and two interceptions for 22 yards.

Source: Inside Football

this really sucks...and to think I was so psyched about our secondary going into this season

So Phillips, Johnson, Webster, Ross, Dockery has turned into CC Brown, Terrell Thomas(who i like, but prefer to have Ross out there), Rouse, Webster and Johnson.

Bruce and Michael Johnson.

Still paper thin with only 6 dbs,including an undrafted rookie playing the 3rd corner spot, and rouse playing backup safety.

Worse, considering Webster and Bruce Johnson duck tackles.

When we get Ross and Dockery back, we'll be in decent shape. Good thing we're playing cupcakes the next 3 weeks.

Bruce and Michael Johnson.

Still paper thin with only 6 dbs,including an undrafted rookie playing the 3rd corner spot, and rouse playing backup safety.

Worse, considering Webster and Bruce Johnson duck tackles.

When we get Ross and Dockery back, we'll be in decent shape. Good thing we're playing cupcakes the next 3 weeks.

I disagree on webster ducking tackles, Im not sure where youre getting that from...is he ronnie lott? no, but he is far from deion sanders. He's a decent tackler.

But I agree, thank god we have creampuffs coming up for the next 3 weeks. Dockery and Ross will certainly help a lot...I bet all the dockery haters will never be so glad to see him back now.

I'm bummed about this news. It's not the end of the season defensively, that would be if Tuck was hurt permanently.

We need our rush to cover the flaws in the secondary...as always. Perhaps the next few games will not be the walk in the park that Paul Schwartz wrote about?

I'm bummed about this news. It's not the end of the season defensively, that would be if Tuck was hurt permanently.

We need our rush to cover the flaws in the secondary...as always. Perhaps the next few games will not be the walk in the park that Paul Schwartz wrote about?

This sucks about as much as the Osi injury last year. It really, really blows. I was very concerned about KP's knee after Coughlin said that they would have to "manage it for the year" last week. I'm sure KP is really bummed... he definitely was poised for a huge year. We can recover from this. It would've been nice to have gotten Pollard. Hopefully Rouse will be a quick study, we need him.

We could easily lose this weekend with the injury bug mounting.

they are saying theres a chance this could be career threatening

but greg oden and amare stoudemire had the same thing,

and the doc that said that hasnt examined phillips or his mri

just sayin though

they are saying theres a chance this could be career threatening

but greg oden and amare stoudemire had the same thing,

and the doc that said that hasnt examined phillips or his mri

just sayin though

Hes got patella femoral arthritis which doesnt get better, it gets worse.

He's finished...

back to the drawing board.