SportsWrath

Boss - The Missing Piece Gilbride Seems to have Forgotten

BleedinBlue

I bitched about it last night in the ongoing thread about the failure to get it done in the red zone and the failure to make Boss a part of the game.

We found out last night that Smith and Manningham are real gamers who can get the job done. But there's a 3rd reciever who has great hands and seems to plow out extra yardage after the hit and that's Boss. Yet I don't think a single pass was thrown to him until late in the 4th quarter and he came through. I bitched last week on this board about not using Boss enough in the offensive scheme and after Boss had a stellar 1st game (but only thrown to twice), I said that Boss should be given at least 2 more throws than his standard 2 catches. We are sitting on a weapon and aren't using it during a war - it just doesn't make sense to me.

And why oh why don't they use Boss in the red zone offensive schemes? He'll make the tough catch in traffic and then get the extra yards as he has done time and time again. He's the perfect target around the goal line, but he just isn't used when the Giants are down to the goal line. I can't understand why.

On the other hand.....if Gilbride insists on punching Jacobs into the pile, then he better develop an offensive line that can push a hole. I love our offensive line, but it's primarily a QB protection line - IMO. We could be developing a couple of bruisers as backup offensive lineman whose forte' is making holes for the RB. Bring them in during the red zone drills to bust a few chops and push the line. Add a bruising TE to help out moving the line and get Hedgecock involved (such as a lead blocker or something). There simply has to be a way to make a hole big enough for a runner to squeak through. The Giants are too good of an offensive team to settle for field goals (FG attempts) after driving the length of the field.

Whatever the case, it's time to do something about the red zone disastor.

If it makes you feel any better, Boss gets about 8 to 10 receptions a game when I use the Giants in Madden 10.

I agree with everything you said. I was wondering the same thing myself as Gilbride was calling a toss out to bradshaw in the redzone when it was obvious to everyone but him that the Cowboys were stacking the box and bringing in the heat.

Boss was being used most of the night to chip in on Ware.

When Gilbride had Eli throwing screen passes to Hedgecock who acted as if he was caught off surprise, it would make a lot more sense (to me anyway) to have Hedgecock chip in on Ware and let Boss take the throws. The two tosses to Hedgecock were just awful. When Boss got his two tosses late in the 4th, he snagged both of them in like the pro he is.

Also......everyone thinks Barden should get a couple shots because he's 6'6".......and I tend to agree.....but Boss is also 6'6" and he's battle tested and a proven commodity.

All I ask of Gilbride is to throw Boss's way a few more times a game - especially when the box is stacked because it's a quick throw that doesn't require lots of time for protection. And it would be nice when in the red zone if Gilbride remembered that he does have a very good TE on the team that has great hands and great size.

I bitched about it last night in the ongoing thread about the failure to get it done in the red zone and the failure to make Boss a part of the game.

We found out last night that Smith and Manningham are real gamers who can get the job done. But there's a 3rd reciever who has great hands and seems to plow out extra yardage after the hit and that's Boss. Yet I don't think a single pass was thrown to him until late in the 4th quarter and he came through. I bitched last week on this board about not using Boss enough in the offensive scheme and after Boss had a stellar 1st game (but only thrown to twice), I said that Boss should be given at least 2 more throws than his standard 2 catches. We are sitting on a weapon and aren't using it during a war - it just doesn't make sense to me.

And why oh why don't they use Boss in the red zone offensive schemes? He'll make the tough catch in traffic and then get the extra yards as he has done time and time again. He's the perfect target around the goal line, but he just isn't used when the Giants are down to the goal line. I can't understand why.

On the other hand.....if Gilbride insists on punching Jacobs into the pile, then he better develop an offensive line that can push a hole. I love our offensive line, but it's primarily a QB protection line - IMO. We could be developing a couple of bruisers as backup offensive lineman whose forte' is making holes for the RB. Bring them in during the red zone drills to bust a few chops and push the line. Add a bruising TE to help out moving the line and get Hedgecock involved (such as a lead blocker or something). There simply has to be a way to make a hole big enough for a runner to squeak through. The Giants are too good of an offensive team to settle for field goals (FG attempts) after driving the length of the field.

Whatever the case, it's time to do something about the red zone disastor.

completly agree I don't undertstand plus most teams are putting their safeties in the box and Boss goes right behind them wide open I was screaming all game last night THROW IT TO HIM, Eli has been playing great but for some reason without Plex he seems to panic in the "green" zone and throws these little dump off screens

completly agree I don't undertstand plus most teams are putting their safeties in the box and Boss goes right behind them wide open I was screaming all game last night THROW IT TO HIM, Eli has been playing great but for some reason without Plex he seems to panic in the "green" zone and throws these little dump off screens

Good to know I'm not the only one frustrated with Gilbride's lack of use ot Boss. Boss is too good to get a couple of token plays a game (and late in games). He could be a game breaker if used more often.....especially pulling linebackers off the box for the sake of the running game. Boss should be hit early and often....and the run game will open up big time.

I gotta agree too Bin. Killdrive has me scratching my head many times per game. Heck the best football we play is when they hand the keys to Eli, and take them from killdrive.

Though I am happy we have a TE who is REALLY good at blocking. His first 2 years he sucked at it.