SportsWrath

Kevin Boss

Lughead

Of his shell

He is wouldn't mind becoming the teams #1 receiver

The Giants have spent the last nine months trying to find a wide receiver to replace Plaxico Burress. Could it be that they already have that player on their roster? At a different position than receiver?

Kevin Boss thinks so. With two quick receptions from Eli Manningon the opening drive in the final preseason game, Boss opened some eyesto his ability to catch the ball and get downfield, reminding many ofthe skills he first flashed as a rookie during the Super Bowlrun. Remember in that win over the Patriots for the championship, itwas Boss who had the longest reception of the game, a 45-yarder.

"Itwould be awesome to be a number one receiving target," Boss said afterthe game last week. "I would love to lead the team in receptions, and Ithink that is something that I'm capable of. I definitely want to bethere for Eli and be a guy he can rely on."

Bosscaught 33 passes last season, but six of them were for touchdowns, ateam high in that category. Manning said he wouldn't have a problem ifBoss wound up leading the team in receptions this season. "I thinkthat's fine," he said. "You see that happening in other places, otherteams."

Not always with greatsuccess, though. Last year there were seven teams that had a tight endwith the most receptions on the roster. Of those teams only two - theChargers with Antonio Gates and the Titans with Bo Scaife - made the playoffs. None of the seven teams was in the top 10 of NFL offenses. Five of them were in the bottom half.

The Giants have seen two of the teams with tight ends as the leading receiver with regularity. Last year Chris Cooley led the Redskins with 83 receptions and Jason Witten led the Cowboys with 81. The Giants were 3-1 against those division rivals. The only other team on the list that they played last year was Seattle, with John Carlson grabbing a team-high 55 catches. The Giants won that game, too.

Havinga pass-catching tight end is, without a doubt, a weapon. But relying onthat tight end to carry the passing game can be a problem. If Bossleads the Giants in receptions this season, it could be ugly and not,as Boss described it, awesome.

Manningwill not try to force the ball to his third-year tight end. "If heleads the team in receptions or doesn't, I'm not trying to make him bethe leading receiver or trying not to make him be the leading receiver,it doesn't matter to me," Manning said. "A lot of it is based on reads,or based on what teams are doing, or how they are playing."

Lookfor Boss to once again challenge for the team lead in receivingtouchdowns. But if he's the team's leading receiver, look away.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/boss-wouldn-t-mind-being-manning-s-go-to-guy-1.1431342

If we can't find someone to at least make opponents defend against the deep strike it will be a long year for Boss and Jacobs.

We'll be ok. I think what you are going to see early in the season is that teams are going to try to copy the Philly blueprint by loading the box and run blitzing a lot. As a result, you're going to see Eli have a 300 or even 400 yard passing performance. After a couple of games like that, teams will start playing straight up again.

And mark these words, Hakeem Nicks is going to make a big splash (a 100 yards receiving game) and he's going to do it in the first 3 games.

We'll be ok. I think what you are going to see early in the season is that teams are going to try to copy the Philly blueprint by loading the box and run blitzing a lot. As a result, you're going to see Eli have a 300 or even 400 yard passing performance. After a couple of games like that, teams will start playing straight up again.

And mark these words, Hakeem Nicks is going to make a big splash (a 100 yards receiving game) and he's going to do it in the first 3 games.

Nicks had the most receiving yards in pre-season so let's all hope the trend continues. If it doesn't I think HLB is right as teams will just consistently load the box making the running game more difficult.

Nicks going off would be very helpfull. I agree. I would also like to see some early production from Manningham.

Call me crazy, but I'd like to see some production from SINORICE MOSS.

For once. <_>

You're crazy.

He'll have 'turf toe' 3:59 into the 1st qtr Sunday, sending him to IR for the rest of the season. However, he will have 9 catches for 157 yards and 2 TD's in those 4 minutes, thus securing him a spot on next years roster.

If we can't find someone to at least make opponents defend against the deep strike it will be a long year for Boss and Jacobs.

that's not going to happen right away. the passing attack as it is now will have to rely on slants, quick outs, crossing routes and some screens. (yes tree, i said screens). what we did 1ST Q against New England I think is an accurate portrayal of our game plan. and it was successful and will be as long as eli is accurate and the WR hold on to the rock. the more successful those are, the more the deep routes will open up.

LOL

Its a contract year, he'll be healthy all season and have 40 catches for 600 yards and 8 TDs.

:mellow:

You're crazy.

He'll have 'turf toe' 3:59 into the 1st qtr Sunday, sending him to IR for the rest of the season. However, he will have 9 catches for 157 yards and 2 TD's in those 4 minutes, thus securing him a spot on next years roster.

Nicks had the most receiving yards in pre-season so let's all hope the trend continues. If it doesn't I think HLB is right as teams will just consistently load the box making the running game more difficult.

Don't forget they were loading the box against us all last year too. It doesn't matter.

that's not going to happen right away. the passing attack as it is now will have to rely on slants, quick outs, crossing routes and some screens. (yes tree, i said screens). what we did 1ST Q against New England I think is an accurate portrayal of our game plan. and it was successful and will be as long as eli is accurate and the WR hold on to the rock. the more successful those are, the more the deep routes will open up.

gollum%20maquette.jpg

We hates it! We hates the Screens!

I'd be thrilled, but not entirely surprised....Nicks looks like the real deal. I love his agressive style of play....that's what all the really good ones have.