SportsWrath

The Cuts are In - New Roster

BleedinBlue

I'm shocked that Mathews is cut.

From Garaflow:

THE RUNNING ROSTER (54 plus Boley, though again Pennington is likely out, which brings us to 53):

QBs (2): Eli Manning and David Carr

RBs (3): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Danny Ware

FB (1): Madison Hedgecock

WRs (7): Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, Sinorice Moss, Derek Hagan, Hakeem Nicks, Ramses Barden

TEs (3): Kevin Boss, Darcy Johnson, Travis Beckum

OLs (11): David Diehl, Rich Seubert, Shaun O'Hara, Chris Snee, Kareem McKenzie, Kevin Boothe, Adam Koets, Guy Whimper, William Beatty, Tutan Reyes, Terrance Pennington (for now)

DLs (9): Justin Tuck, Osi Umeyiora, Mathias Kiwanuka, Barry Cofield, Fred Robbins, Chris Canty, Rocky Bernard, Leger Douzable, Dave Tollefson

LBs (8): Antonio Pierce, Danny Clark, Clint Sintim, Chase Blackburn, Jonathan Goff, Bryan Kehl, Gerris Wilkinson, Zak DeOssie

CBs (5): Aaron Ross, Corey Webster, Kevin Dockery, Terrell Thomas, Bruce Johnson

S (3): Kenny Phillips, Michael Johnson, C.C. Brown

K (1): Lawrence Tynes

P (1): Jeff Feagles

Suspended LB (1): Michael Boley

------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

QBs Rhett Bomar and Andre' Woodson have been waived, a source said. The same source said the Giants are hoping Bomar will clear waivers and make it onto the practice squad.

DE Maurice Evans has been waived. He was an undrafted free agent from Penn State and had a big game in the preseason opener with a sack and forced fumble. Evans' draft stock, which was very high after he recorded 12 1/2 sacks in his sophomore season, dropped after he was suspended following marijuana-possession charges. He showed his ability against the Panthers and in camp, but it obviously wasn't enough to land him on the final roster.

In addition to Evans, DE Robert Henderson, last year's sixth-round pick who was on IR all last season, has been waived. No word yet on DE Dave Tollefson, though no news is good news on cut-down day. Sounds like he and DT Leger Douzable have made it.

DT Anthony Bryant, a third-year player from Alabama, has also been cut. Like Evans, he has practice-squad eligibility so he might not be totally gone. But Evans might find himself claimed come Sunday afternoon.

S Sha'reff Rashad has also been waived, but expect to see him land on the Giants' practice squad.

TE Michael Matthews has also been cut after playing every game for the Giants over the past two seasons. That likely means Darcy Johnson has been kept as the third TE with Kevin Boss and rookie Travis Beckum.

Rookie CB DeAndre Wright, the team's sixth-round pick, has been waived. No word yet on undrafted free agent CB Bruce Johnson, but sounds like he might have made it.

Undrafted rookie LB Kenny Ingram has been waived, but he'll probably end up on the practice sqaud. He's got decent ability; just has to bulk up a bit after playing all over the place in college.

Another undrafted rookie, S Vince Anderson, has been waived.

And finally, I'm told OL Orrin Thompson has announced his own cut on his Facebook page by updating his status to "cut like a Thanksgiving turkey." If anybody can confirm that, please do. If it's accurate, major props to Thompson for having a sense of humor about the situation.

Catching up after a 12:30 p.m. interview with Jody McDonald on 1050-AM ESPN Radio, these guys have been waived: WR Shaun Bodiford and OL Cliff Louis.

S Travonti Johnson and DT Jeremy Clark have been waived. Johnson could land on the practice squad.

FB Dwayne Wright has been waived.

DE "Touchdown" Tommie Hill has been waived. No practice-squad promises made for him, either.

And RB Allen Patrick has been waived, though he'll be on the practice squad if he clears waivers. Pretty sure OL Terrance Pennington is the last one.

Oh, and DT Jay Alford will be added to injured reserve after undergoing surgery on his knee yesterday.

That means, unless something has changed here, the Giants have kept seven wide receivers, including Derek Hagan and Sinorice Moss. Smart move if that's the case because they still need to know which guys are going to emerge at that spot.

TOTAL CUTS NEEDED: 21 (They technically have to get down to 54, not 53, because LB Michael Boley is suspended for the first week.)

TOTAL CUTS CONFIRMED SO FAR: 20 (I think OL Terrance Pennington, who was waived then re-signed this week, will be the last one

I'm glad whoever calls the shots agrees with me that keeping a TE simply because he can block is a waste of roster space, especially at the cost of cutting a somewhat proven pass catching TE.

Any idiot with the desire to learn the position can learn to block, look at Shockey. Hard to learn how to have soft hands.

I'm glad whoever calls the shots agrees with me that keeping a TE simply because he can block is a waste of roster space, especially at the cost of cutting a somewhat proven pass catching TE.

Any idiot with the desire to learn the position can learn to block, look at Shockey. Hard to learn how to have soft hands.

Well VG, learning to block and being an outstanding blocker are two different things. I always liked Darcy Johnson. The problem I had was how many catches is he going to contribute versus what we are already going to get in receiving from Boss and Beckum, versus Matthews usefulness every game in certain situations. Keep in mind that Matthews was NOT a waste of roster space when he played in every game for us in the last two seasons. Those things aren't wastes when you are in a goal line formation at the 2 yard line trying to punch it in, or lining up for a field goal. From what I read, Matthews has already fielded calls from several teams... they must not see him as a waste either.

Remember also this is not really the final 53 (even though I've used that phrase)... it's the beginning 53. I'd be stupified if the Giants didn't add another safety by week 2's end, and Boley is going to take someone's spot after week 1, probably Wilkinson's. BB, I read from Vacchiano that Pennington was waived (again). Indeed, Vacchiano has Pennington down as an "unofficial cut" on his blog.

Well VG, learning to block and being an outstanding blocker are two different things. I always liked Darcy Johnson. The problem I had was how many catches is he going to contribute versus what we are already going to get in receiving from Boss and Beckum, versus Matthews usefulness every game in certain situations. Keep in mind that Matthews was NOT a waste of roster space when he played in every game for us in the last two seasons. Those things aren't wastes when you are in a goal line formation at the 2 yard line trying to punch it in, or lining up for a field goal. From what I read, Matthews has already fielded calls from several teams... they must not see him as a waste either.

Again, show me a back up olineman that can't do what mathews did.

Again, show me a back up olineman that can't do what mathews did.

Matthews is a TE. He actually has gone out on patterns before and caught balls for us. I don't think we want Guy Whimper doing that. There is value in having a blocking TE. If you go in max protect with an O-lineman at a TE position, it pretty much telegraphs that you are probably going to run the football. Maybe not. Hell even Warren Sapp caught a couple of TD's. But I like Matthews, he is a good football player. He doesn't get the pub or respect because what he does so well is not measured in receptions.

From a cost/benefit analysis perspective, I felt that the better move would've been to keep Matthews. But I like Darcy and nobody can argue with the guys that see them in practice everyday. Perhaps Darcy has really improved his blocking to where they feel he can adequately replace Matthews' contributions, plus provide a greater receiving threat.

Matthews is a TE. He actually has gone out on patterns before and caught balls for us. I don't think we want Guy Whimper doing that. There is value in having a blocking TE. If you go in max protect with an O-lineman at a TE position, it pretty much telegraphs that you are probably going to run the football. Maybe not. Hell even Warren Sapp caught a couple of TD's. But I like Matthews, he is a good football player. He doesn't get the pub or respect because what he does so well is not measured in receptions.

From a cost/benefit analysis perspective, I felt that the better move would've been to keep Matthews. But I like Darcy and nobody can argue with the guys that see them in practice everyday. Perhaps Darcy has really improved his blocking to where they feel he can adequately replace Matthews' contributions, plus provide a greater receiving threat.

Didn't Suebert catch a TD pass a couple years ago? Anyway, in mass protect, with mathews or an olineman in that spot, it's going to be pretty obvious it's a run. not like we threw to mathews in that scenerio much anyway, 8 receptions over 2 years with 0 TD's an 2 first downs. His threat as a pass catcher in max protect is not much more than an olineman.

Looking at the roster numbers, I would not be surprised at all if we traded a WR and/or LB

Looking at the game day roster I think we would have a tough time dressing more than 5 WRs and maybe 7 LBs

I think Reese wanted to make sure he gets value for them rather than letting them go for free; they certainly can contribute.

I also think we are a little thin in the secondary depth wise particularly as Phillips, Webster and Ross have been struggling with injuries in preseason (though hopefully they are healthy now)

WRs (7): Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, Sinorice Moss, Derek Hagan, Hakeem Nicks, Ramses Barden

So it would seem that Moss has not only made the roster... but may VERY WELL be the #4 receiver on the team.

us_dollar_front.gif

Didn't Suebert catch a TD pass a couple years ago? Anyway, in mass protect, with mathews or an olineman in that spot, it's going to be pretty obvious it's a run. not like we threw to mathews in that scenerio much anyway, 8 receptions over 2 years with 0 TD's an 2 first downs. His threat as a pass catcher in max protect is not much more than an olineman.

It's a valid point, but I still wouldn't diminish his contributions. Others have felt he was very valuable last year in helping pave the way for two 1000 yard backs.

He is the kind of player that I think deserves recognition, because his name doesn't often show up in the box score, but he was a good player for us nonetheless.

i'm convinced that sinorice moss has pictures of reese getting his peanut butter stuck in someone's chocolate.

He may hang on for awhile, who knows. I can't for the life of me figure why they continue to waste a roster spot on this dude. I'm sure he'll be hurt by week 4, though, and the Giants can just IR him. We also have to keep in mind that this roster can change literally overnight. There are a lot of players cut today, some of them good ones. I don't know if the Giants will realistically go into week 1 with only 3 safeties on the roster, but we'll see. Some guys like Leger Douzable, Sinorice Moss, Goff or Wilkinson, could be cut in favor of grabbing a 4th RB or 4th safety. We'll just have to see what happens. I was hoping for a good young kicker to be released but I don't think that has happened.

Tynes has guaranteed money I think, it's his job unless he stinks up the place.

Yeah, actually I think you're right, blu. I'm going to check rotoworld. We may have to just stick one more season out with Tynes. I think we are all just hoping the Giants will finally get a stud kicker in the draft next year. It's just crazy, you know? The Cowboys have a pretty good kicker in Nick Folk, but then go and sign David Buehler, the rookie kicker from USC. So now they have two kickers. I'm not crazy about having two kickers on a team, but other teams actually concern themselves with the position, unlike us!

Per Rotoworld, here are the details of Tynes' contract:

2/11/2008: Signed a five-year, $7 million contract. The deal included a $1.25 million signing bonus and a $120,000 roster bonus in the first year. 2009: $900,000 (+ $130,000 roster bonus), 2010: $1.1 million (+ $50,000 roster bonus), 2011: $1.2 million, 2012: $1.3 million, 2013: Free Agent

:doh:

i'm convinced that sinorice moss has pictures of reese getting his peanut butter stuck in someone's chocolate.

He must. That or he gives Coughlin some great weed (which is why he actually mellowed out after 2006 :P). I'm holding out hope that he gets traded for a decent backup safety. If he takes playing time from Nicks, I'll flip.

You and me both....Moss=Loss has to be the Houdini of talentless survivors in the NFL. Damn when Coughlin loves a player he can do no wrong...lol...but get in his dog house and you could be Jerry Rice and you ride the bench until he says its time to get off. :rolleyes: