SportsWrath

Our boy Nicks

so-cal dub

I'm happy with what he did in the pre-season, I just hope it translates into the regular season.

I still think this kid is going to be something special when it's all said and done.

I agree. After he learns a few moves, we may finally have our own Jerry Rice. It's not that far fetched given his hands. I'm worried about the hip flexor injury, though.

Nicks is weird. He keeps making all these big plays downfield but for some reason, he never really looks QUITE fast enough to be a deep threat.

For the record though, I like him.

Like previous years whenever we draft a player, I usually read/watch as much as I can on them. From what all the "experts" say is that is he doesnt have that straight line "I'm going to run faster" then you ala Steve Smith(Carolina). He has more of a quickness and physical play that when he does go down field he can shake/seperate from the DB and make a play ala Boldin. I mean look at the play last night, he basically jumped over the DB, grabbed the ball away from him, came down with it and preceded to out run him to the endzone.

Nicks is plenty fast enough. You don't need 4.3 speed to beat corners deep. There's a lot more to it than that. Nicks has dominated the defensive backs he's gone up against. He did have a 17 or 18 yard gain against Lito Sheppard. To me, he's our slot guy right away.

He's also playing a lot more than entrenched starters. The stat means very little.

Actually, Nicks didn't get a LOT of playing time in the Jets game. He did the bulk of his damage in the fourth quarter. I believe most of his 144 yards or whatever it was came in the last 4 minutes of the game. If you think about that game in particular, it takes a game or a game and a half for most WR's to get that kind of productioin that Nicks got in 4 minutes (against bubble players). To me, everything he has done has been extremely encouraging. Particularly his football instincts.

The kind of catches he's making, it looks like a veteran receiver is making them with the way he uses his hands and his body. The TD last night the way he positioned himself and went up to get it showed great body control, and his first TD in the Jets game he also made a beautiful play on the ball and had great hand play on that one to get a little separation from the defensive back.

I know he still needs to "show me" against starting NFL defensive backs, but I have extreme confidence in him that he will perform well against them, too. From everything I read in camp he didn't have too much of a problem with our starting corners... and I like our guys.

This is premature, but I think Nicks is going to be the superstar the modern Giants have never had outside of Plaxico.

Nicks is weird. He keeps making all these big plays downfield but for some reason, he never really looks QUITE fast enough to be a deep threat.

For the record though, I like him.

I like him too but do have concerns about his inability to seperate like I said on another post when hes playing Hall or Newman or Samuel its gonna be hard to make those circus catches but I do think he could be something special I only wish we had a true #1 vet while we string along Nicks,Brandon Marshall? are you out there somewhereconfused.gif