SportsWrath

Canty and Alford.

BIGBLUE01

Anyone hear the scoop on them? i checked Giants .com and the forums (not a good idea) and cant see anything regarding them and how long they will be out. Its looking like Alford will be placed on IR due to the injury he sustained, but how bad is Cantys? Could we get him midseason or earlier?

Anyone hear the scoop on them? i checked Giants .com and the forums (not a good idea) and cant see anything regarding them and how long they will be out. Its looking like Alford will be placed on IR due to the injury he sustained, but how bad is Cantys? Could we get him midseason or earlier?

With Canty's injury, being a partially torn hamstring, it really depends on the severity of the tear. These things can heal with just ice and rehab from what I've read, and can take anywhere from weeks to months. I think the chances of him being placed on IR are very slim, and I give it pretty good odds that he will be cleared to play by week 4.

Alford could possibly play on a partially torn ACL if he doesn't require surgery. Of course, the risk of further tearing the ligament is much higher if he plays on it. With just rehab, we MIGHT be able to see Alford play in the second half of the year, but that is fairly optimistic. Of course, if he needs surgery, it's to the IR he goes. But with it being only a partial tear, it could be a month or most of the season, we just don't know. I'm pretty sure players can play with a torn MCL.

With Canty's injury, being a partially torn hamstring, it really depends on the severity of the tear. These things can heal with just ice and rehab from what I've read, and can take anywhere from weeks to months. I think the chances of him being placed on IR are very slim, and I give it pretty good odds that he will be cleared to play by week 4.

Alford could possibly play on a partially torn ACL if he doesn't require surgery. Of course, the risk of further tearing the ligament is much higher if he plays on it. With just rehab, we MIGHT be able to see Alford play in the second half of the year, but that is fairly optimistic. Of course, if he needs surgery, it's to the IR he goes. But with it being only a partial tear, it could be a month or most of the season, we just don't know. I'm pretty sure players can play with a torn MCL.

What was the injury Sehorn had? Wasnt it a torn MCL AND ACL? Is it the ACL you cant play on if its torn? I didnt know that a player could still play on a torn MCL. If what you say is true, thats better than what i was thinking.

What was the injury Sehorn had? Wasnt it a torn MCL AND ACL? Is it the ACL you cant play on if its torn? I didnt know that a player could still play on a torn MCL. If what you say is true, thats better than what i was thinking.

His knee was like silly string after that hit.

It was, but I mean which is more serious, ACL or MCL. Jim said you could play on an MCL. Is that true?

You can play on a torn ACL and MCL. But if you play on a torn ACL, you're going to permanently fuck up your knee, because the femur and tibia will just be rubbing together with nothing but cartilage in between.

I might be wrong about the MCL thing. But it is definitely not as serious as tearing an ACL. The ACL tear requires a greater length of rehab and recovery time than an MCL tear.

He tore both and some other ligiments.

He had such a good year in 1997 too, such ashame.

Yah, that really put the halt to using starting cornerbacks to return punts. WTF was Fassel thinking?

Let Dr Treehugger* handle this one. Here's the knee:

knee_anatomy.jpg

MCL refers to the two exterior collateral ligaments (medial collateral ligaments) on the outside of the knee as opposed to the anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments (ACL & PCL). The MCLs keep the knee stable, keep the joint from twisting. The PCL & ACL keep the knee from swinging too far back or forward. The ACL gets damaged the most as it's the one put under pressure when the knee is hyper-extended forward. The PCL is rarely damaged by itself as most players are flexible enough to swing their legs through the full range (heels all the way back to their butts) without issue. If one of the MCLs snaps in a hit then the interior ligaments are very susceptible and often get damaged at the same time (see Sehorn, Jason).

When a MCL is compromised the entire knee can destabliise. It'll be 'loose' preventing cut moves and it'll put the interior ligaments at risk. If it's only a partial tear then it may not cause any issue but it will make the rest of the knee more susceptible to injury if hit again. It will all depend on if the MCL can maintain tension on the knee and keep it stable.

* Dr Treehugger is not a licensed medical practitioner.

Let Dr Treehugger* handle this one. Here's the knee:

knee_anatomy.jpg

MCL refers to the two exterior collateral ligaments (medial collateral ligaments) on the outside of the knee as opposed to the anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments (ACL & PCL). The MCLs keep the knee stable, keep the joint from twisting. The PCL & ACL keep the knee from swinging too far back or forward. The ACL gets damaged the most as it's the one put under pressure when the knee is hyper-extended forward. The PCL is rarely damaged by itself as most players are flexible enough to swing their legs through the full range (heels all the way back to their butts) without issue. If one of the MCLs snaps in a hit then the interior ligaments are very susceptible and often get damaged at the same time (see Sehorn, Jason).

When a MCL is compromised the entire knee can destabliise. It'll be 'loose' preventing cut moves and it'll put the interior ligaments at risk. If it's only a partial tear then it may not cause any issue but it will make the rest of the knee more susceptible to injury if hit again. It will all depend on if the MCL can maintain tension on the knee and keep it stable.

* Dr Treehugger is not a licensed medical practitioner.

I thought a brace could compensate for a torn MCL, is that fair to say?

I thought a brace could compensate for a torn MCL, is that fair to say?

a partially torn MCL can be treated with just rehab and a brace...but its will be painful for a while and you wont be able to start your rehad for about 3 weeks after the injury. A fully torn MCL can be rehabbed without surgery just like a fully torn ACL can be rehabbed without surgery....BUT, and especially if youre a professional athlete, youll really need surgery if you ever want to play sports again. You cannot play sports with a torn ACL or MCL. The rehab will make it stronger, but the tear will still be there and your knee will constantly buckle on you when playing.

So, if youre an athlete and you tear you MCL or ACL, you need to have surgery if you ever want to play again.

Here's the bottom line - Alford is likely done for the season and don't expect Canty to contribute anything until mid-season, at best. Biggest problem here is finding a snapper for FGs, since that was Alford's job. They'll be scouting other camps and scanning the waiver wire for someone to take that role.

With Canty's torn hamstring, a 10 week recovery period might be pessimistic or optimistic. They are that unpredictable. But if he can start playing again by late October/early November, that would give a big lift to the DL that will just be starting to feel the grind.

Suddenly, Bernard becomes very important. If he's healthy and can stay that way, you still have Cofield and Robbins (amazing recovery from micro-fracture surgery, thank God) rotating with Bernard on the inside. Yes, this derails some of the exotic formations that Canty seemed to be an integral part of, since he can play inside or outside but it's not like we're scrapping bottom.

I also wonder if this derails a possible trade for a wide receiver, with the forgotten man - Kiwi - as the bait. Now, he might be needed more that they were counting on last week.

Not that big of a deal, DeOssie can snap. Giants are not trading for a wide receiver and Kiwanuka is certainly not forgotten.

Here's the bottom line - Alford is likely done for the season and don't expect Canty to contribute anything until mid-season, at best. Biggest problem here is finding a snapper for FGs, since that was Alford's job. They'll be scouting other camps and scanning the waiver wire for someone to take that role.

With Canty's torn hamstring, a 10 week recovery period might be pessimistic or optimistic. They are that unpredictable. But if he can start playing again by late October/early November, that would give a big lift to the DL that will just be starting to feel the grind.

Suddenly, Bernard becomes very important. If he's healthy and can stay that way, you still have Cofield and Robbins (amazing recovery from micro-fracture surgery, thank God) rotating with Bernard on the inside. Yes, this derails some of the exotic formations that Canty seemed to be an integral part of, since he can play inside or outside but it's not like we're scrapping bottom.

I also wonder if this derails a possible trade for a wide receiver, with the forgotten man - Kiwi - as the bait. Now, he might be needed more that they were counting on last week.

DeOssie has been a decent snapper for punts but there's a reason he hasn't done FGs. These are two very different tasks.

And you're probably right about not trading for a WR but I don't know how they can't be at least exploring options.

Figured it was a size thing. Hell, every other team in the league uses one snapper and DeOssie is gonna have to step up.<_<

DeOssie has been a decent snapper for punts but there's a reason he hasn't done FGs. These are two very different tasks.

And you're probably right about not trading for a WR but I don't know how they can't be at least exploring options.

You can play on a torn ACL and MCL. But if you play on a torn ACL, you're going to permanently fuck up your knee, because the femur and tibia will just be rubbing together with nothing but cartilage in between.

I might be wrong about the MCL thing. But it is definitely not as serious as tearing an ACL. The ACL tear requires a greater length of rehab and recovery time than an MCL tear.

Plus your leg will keep popping out of place. It's awfuly hard to do anything with a torn ACL.