SportsWrath

Steve Smith Out For Monday Night

Mr. P

large_stevesmith15.jpg

NY Giants WR Steve Smith out for Monday night game (and other injury notes)

by Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Saturday August 15, 2009, 12:37 PM

Chris Faytok/The Star-Ledger

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Giants receiver Steve Smith said he won't play in the Giants' preseason opener vs. the Panthers because of the knee injury that has kept him out since last Sunday.

Smith said he twisted his knee running a route, and it swelled up and was sore the next day. He said he is able to run and cut, and could have practiced Saturday, but said the team will keep him out until after Monday night's game. The time lost to injury has been frustrating to Smith, who is expected to be a leader on the receiving corps this year.

"I was feeling like I was getting into my groove," Smith said. "You make strides and then you lose those reps. You want to just hurry up and get them back."

The good news, though, is Smith has had an MRI, and it did not reveal any tissue damage.

Another receiver who has been on the sidelines recently, Sinorice Moss, said he hopes to play Monday. He has sat out since Thursday night with the same hamstring that bothered him during minicamp. He also had hoped to practice Friday, which he did not, so we'll wait and see on his status.

Kicker Lawrence Tynes said he'll definitely play Monday. Tynes has been out with a groin injury and said he wanted to kick on Thursday, but the team didn't give him the green light until Saturday.

Tynes practiced about 20 to 25 field goals up to 55 yards, as well as eight kickoffs, and said he felt fine.

"It was really sore earlier in the week," Tynes said. "We kind of erred on the side of caution."

Fullback Madison Hedgecock said watching running back Andre Brown go down with a ruptured Achilles Friday night was like seeing something bad happen to a family member. He and Brandon Jacobs ran over to Brown as soon as the injury happened.

"My teammate went down, and we went over to console him and give him support in a time of pain," Hedgecock said. "We knew it was torn."

Linebacker Gerris Wilkinson, who was covering Brown on the play, said he heard a click, but was unsure if it was the cleats or the tendon popping free.

Source: The Star-Ledger