SportsWrath

Teammates: Eli Deserves Big Contract

Mr. P

eli_manning.jpg

ALBANY -- The pass from Andre Woodson hung in the air and then descended into the end zone. Hakeem Nicks was there, but his body on this play in yesterday morning's practice was not in complete control and his arms weren't positioned correctly.

GIANTS BLOG AT CAMP

The ball slipped through the big hands of the first-round pick and onto the grass.

Nicks trotted off the field and stood off to the left, in line with the other receivers. In an instant, Eli Manning made the walk to seek out Nicks.

Motioning with his arms, Manning was busy with a tutorial, actually animated in his gesturing as he spent several minutes with the rookie receiver.

"He was telling me, basically, I could have stayed more away from the defender," Nicks said. "The play went across the safety's face, but he told me he would read it if I was just to stay vertical instead of covering myself up.

"It's a good feeling, him directing me on that route, helping me out. I feel like that's what leaders do. Not coming at you the wrong way, he did it in a respectful manner."

After he was finished with Nicks, Manning trotted over to his customary spot with the other quarterbacks and began waving his arm and discussing the play with Woodson.

"He does it in such a way that he doesn't offend anybody," coach Tom Coughlin said. "They're all looking for that and they get it. The more you take charge the better off you are."

This is the side of Manning that is largely unseen on the outside, but one of the reasons why the Giants are on the verge of signing him to a six-year, $97.5 million contract extension. The deal is not official, but it will be.

Manning's statistics do not warrant him vaulting near the top of the NFL in salary, but his value is incalculable to the Giants. He has been in the playoffs four consecutive years. He has been a Super Bowl champion and MVP, and he is such an agreeable marquee player that there's no concern about the money or the fame or the big city making him anything other than who he already is.

"Do we think it's a big deal? No, we realized this was coming a long time ago," defensive end Justin Tuck said of Manning's mega-deal. "It was just when and how much. I think he deserves every cent of it."

Of course, Tuck couldn't stop there, because players rarely stop there when it comes to chiding Manning. There's no pedestal for the son and little brother of football royalty.

"Eli's a cheap guy," Tuck added. "He's still driving around in that Toyota."

There was never a feeling that this contract wouldn't get done or that Manning, heading into the final year of the deal he signed in 2004, would ever go elsewhere. Nevertheless, having Manning contractually bound through the 2015 season did resonate with the veteran players.

"It's always nice when you see good guys like that rewarded," center Shaun O'Hara said.

After offering his congratulations, O'Hara quickly asked Manning where he's taking the offensive line on vacation.

"It's almost too easy. . . . I like to be more creative when I'm teasing Eli," O'Hara said. "I'm just glad he one-upped Peyton.

"Eli is always very classy about it. He feels a little bit awkward about the new contract, for people to know what you're making," O'Hara added. "Let's not forget this isn't his first big contract. His rookie deal wasn't exactly peanuts, so I don't think anything is going to change for him. You're not going to see him show up in fur coats and Bentleys with diamonds all over his chest. We're not worried about it going to his head, and if it does, we'll be glad to bring him back down to reality."

Source: NY Post

large_eli-manning-new-york-giants-807.jpg

A more complete equation to calculate the value of NY Giants quarterback Eli Manning's new contract

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Friday August 07, 2009, 11:05 AM

Some of Eli Manning's finest contributions, such as his accountability, leadership and command of the Giants offense, are not measurable numerically and much more significant than the "average" quarterback.

After seeing this and this, I can't take it anymore. I just can't. I have to add a few more questions to these equations in order to help everyone get a true picture of the value of Eli Manning's forthcoming contract.

But I'm going to need help calculating these questions, such as:

How much does Manning make per time he calms everyone else around him by being the "same old Eli" in a pressure situation?

How much for each time he's responsible for half of the greatest play in Super Bowl history?

How much for the big shiny ring - the generally accepted ultimate sign of a quarterback's worth? (That figure for the contracts for quarterbacks such as Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb and Drew Brees can't be calculated because you can't divide by zero.)

How much for every audible at the line that results in a long run?

How much for setting the proper protections, thus helping the offensive line prepare itself to pick up blitzes?

How much does he make per fourth-quarter comeback? (Actually, this one I can calculate. It's $5.7 million so far based on 17 comeback drives in the final period. An 18th comeback was courtesy of a defensive touchdown, so I'll leave that one out.)

How much for every dodged question from the media that could easily draw negative headlines if not answered with care?

How much for each receiver or tight end he's refused to show up after said players threw up their hands in disgust when he didn't throw their way?

How much per charitable appearance in the New York area during the off-season?

How much for every time he's bankrolled a dog-fighting ring?

How much for each time he earned his teammates' respect by telling Tiki Barber to zip it after criticizing him?

And finally, how many millions per million generated for the state of New Jersey through sold-out home games?

Let me know what you come up with.

Source: The Star-Ledger

What are they going to say- he doesn't deserve it?

Only Tiki would do that.

Did you watch the America's Game series about the 2007 Giants? Strahan made the same kind of comments about the pre-2007 Eli. Tiki spoke the truth, and I don't think he meant it in a hurtful way. Strahan said that it was 2007 that the players started to respect him as a leader and start to understand what he was all about.

There are a lot of people who don't think Eli is worth that kind of money and every single one of them is a hater. You make as much as you can for as long as you can. If you can't make $15 million a season, it a reality check. The guy produces, you can throw stats up galore and compare him to any other human being but the only stat that counts is winning. Eli Manning is a winner. He can throw a duck and miss a receiver by 10 yards and still win.

There are a lot of people who don't think Eli is worth that kind of money and every single one of them is a hater. You make as much as you can for as long as you can. If you can't make $15 million a season, it a reality check. The guy produces, you can throw stats up galore and compare him to any other human being but the only stat that counts is winning. Eli Manning is a winner. He can throw a duck and miss a receiver by 10 yards and still win.

I dont think he deserves it, and I dont hate him at all. Hell I love the guy. I just think it was a dumb move by the Giants. Not the end of the world, but not a very wise move. Yes Eli is a winner, he won 5 games in a row, with the help of one of our best Defenses ever, and will go down as a Giant great cause of it. But paying him more than anyone in the entire league?

Yea we went to the playoffs 4 in a row, but didnt we get in the first 2 at like 8-8, and 9-7? In other words, we had no biz being there, and it more than showed.

This is also coming off a year when he totaly took a crap against Philly. He wasnt a winner that game. Not that I blame him completly for the lost, but you make it sound like he just cant lose. He's a slightly better than average QB, who has a killer 2 min drill.

Hey if you really feel like reliving the 90's and doing the quarterback carousel well then ummm jeez. The Giants are paying him a bit more than everyone else and well you tend to do that when its a QB. Honestly if he was slightly better than average our record would reflect that, however our record looks a hell of a lot better than slightly average. You certainly don't have to go undefeated in the regular season to win the super bowl. Eli does lose but he still wins more than he loses and that is the reason why he gets the $15 million a season and other teams pay less and it shows at the end of the season when they're watching the super bowl at home. San Diego is about to pay Phillip Rivers about the same amount of money and they still can't win when it counts. I'd much rather have the QB who can win the game then the guy who looks really good losing.

I dont think he deserves it, and I dont hate him at all. Hell I love the guy. I just think it was a dumb move by the Giants. Not the end of the world, but not a very wise move. Yes Eli is a winner, he won 5 games in a row, with the help of one of our best Defenses ever, and will go down as a Giant great cause of it. But paying him more than anyone in the entire league?

Yea we went to the playoffs 4 in a row, but didnt we get in the first 2 at like 8-8, and 9-7? In other words, we had no biz being there, and it more than showed.

This is also coming off a year when he totaly took a crap against Philly. He wasnt a winner that game. Not that I blame him completly for the lost, but you make it sound like he just cant lose. He's a slightly better than average QB, who has a killer 2 min drill.

I dont mind the contract....and in fact he deserves it...the kid goes out and wins....each year he has gotten statistically better and I believe this could be the MVP year and then everyone will forget about the contract he signed....if you lived through the Dave Brown years, then you should welcome a Giants organization that has solidified the most important position on the field.

Hey if you really feel like reliving the 90's and doing the quarterback carousel well then ummm jeez. The Giants are paying him a bit more than everyone else and well you tend to do that when its a QB. Honestly if he was slightly better than average our record would reflect that, however our record looks a hell of a lot better than slightly average. You certainly don't have to go undefeated in the regular season to win the super bowl. Eli does lose but he still wins more than he loses and that is the reason why he gets the $15 million a season and other teams pay less and it shows at the end of the season when they're watching the super bowl at home. San Diego is about to pay Phillip Rivers about the same amount of money and they still can't win when it counts. I'd much rather have the QB who can win the game then the guy who looks really good losing.

Having a top 5 defense will do that for ya everytime. NTM a top 5 running game. Just saying.

How about them Vikings? Solid defense, running game, and lack of a QB. Redskins? Another good defense, a running game and also missing a QB.

Having a top 5 defense will do that for ya everytime. NTM a top 5 running game. Just saying.

How about them Vikings? Solid defense, running game, and lack of a QB. Redskins? Another good defense, a running game and also missing a QB.

How about them Vikings? They finnished 4th in the NFC, and lost to the eagles, same as us. They had just as good a shot as us.

The Redskins?? They never win anything.