SportsWrath

METS CALL CARSON TO MAKE 1ST PITCH

NeMesiS

:clap:

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/print..../mets/61991.htm

METS CALL CARSON TO MAKE 1ST PITCH

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

April 4, 2006 -- The Mets will honor former Giants linebacker Harry Carson for his recent election into the Pro Football Hall of Fame when he throws out the ceremonial first pitch at Shea Stadium prior to Saturday's game against the Marlins.

"I hope I hit the mark, I hope I don't overthrow it," the 52-year-old Carson said yesterday. "It's a baseball, not a football, and I'm more accustomed to throwing a football. It's sort of like playing in a Super Bowl, it's not so much what you do in the game, nobody wants to fall being introduced. That's the pressure."

Carson has ties to the Mets, as he is a longtime Franklin Lakes, N.J., neighbor of Willie Randolph. Carson also is friendly with pitcher Tom Glavine, as the two met on a cruise years ago. Glavine will present Carson with a Mets jacket prior to the game.

"He can see what my [pitching] form is all about," Carson said. "I'm happy he was able to come to New York and experience playing here in the New York area."

The Giants yesterday addressed depth on their offensive line by signing Grey Ruegamer, a 29-year old who will assume the role last season filled by Jason Whittle.

Ruegamer, a seven-year veteran, was a reserve last year with the Packers and will serve as a backup guard and center with the Giants. He signed a one-year contract worth $750,000 and received a signing bonus of $40,000.

Ruegamer has played for the Dolphins, Patriots and Packers and has started 16 games in his career.