SportsWrath

Do we need to consider bringing in a backup LT?

BigPete

William Beatty is certainly the future as an athletic Left Tackle, but it is very clear already in training camp that he has alot of development ahead before he is ready to protect Eli's blind side on sundays.

Guy Whimper is being viewed as a Right Tacklem rather than Left and Kevin Boothe seems to be our #3 LT

Should the Giants consider bringing in a solid veteran LT to sit behind Diehl and tutor/mentor William Beatty?

Perhaps Levi Jones if he checks out ok or maybe some other Vet who shakes loose as teams trim their rosters

William Beatty is certainly the future as an athletic Left Tackle, but it is very clear already in training camp that he has alot of development ahead before he is ready to protect Eli's blind side on sundays.

Guy Whimper is being viewed as a Right Tacklem rather than Left and Kevin Boothe seems to be our #3 LT

Should the Giants consider bringing in a solid veteran LT to sit behind Diehl and tutor/mentor William Beatty?

Perhaps Levi Jones if he checks out ok or maybe some other Vet who shakes loose as teams trim their rosters

You bring up a great point...when I first read it I thought to myself, I think they DID bring in a vet LT...but now that I looked, I was thinking of Tutan Reyes and he plays guard....

It would probably be a good idea. Look at Lomas Brown and Ziegler back in 2000.

Yeah, I expect Beatty to look bad against the best D-Line in football on his first couple of practices in the Pros. I'm not worried about Beatty. He'll come along, we just have to remember not to get down on him right now, because the jump to the NFL is enormous, and he's just getting his first couple of practice snaps in.... and he's trying to block Kiwi and Osi, maybe, I mean, that's not fair! He'll be ok... let's watch him by the third exhibition game, I'll bet we'll see some huge improvement.

Yeah, I expect Beatty to look bad against the best D-Line in football on his first couple of practices in the Pros. I'm not worried about Beatty. He'll come along, we just have to remember not to get down on him right now, because the jump to the NFL is enormous, and he's just getting his first couple of practice snaps in.... and he's trying to block Kiwi and Osi, maybe, I mean, that's not fair! He'll be ok... let's watch him by the third exhibition game, I'll bet we'll see some huge improvement.

heh, playing against another team might seem a relief after that.

Perhaps, but I don't think he will be ready this season to protect Eli's blindside against the top pass rushers in the NFL (which is what you want in an athletic LT after all). At the moment he is pure liability; yes he will get better this offseason but probably no better than at adequate stop gap at best - the kind of guy top pass rushers like DeMarcus Ware eat for breakfast. Just ask McNabb what happened when the Eagles fielded developmental rookie, Winston Justice, at LT against us due to need.

This is no real surprise, we all knew Beatty was very raw when we drafted him and would need time to develop. Let him develop at his own pace, when he is ready he will earn his playing time. But don't rely on him to be the primary backup at LT.

I had thought that Whimper would be the primary backup at LT, but it seems that is not the case; he certainly doesn't seem in the long term planning (and is a FA after the season anyway).

I suspect the front office are hoping that Kevin Boothe can get the job done at LT if need be.

As far as roster numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if we went with 9 OL again, particularly as Beatty is likely more of a developmental guy this season - at this stage thats probably Boothe, Koets and Whimper/Reyes. Both Koets and Boothe can play multiple positions inside, so a vet would probably have to beat out Whimper and Reyes.

An experienced vet seems to make the most sense to me. Heck why not bring in a vet to camp as insurance. If Beatty develops more than I expect then great, if he doesn't we have a solid guy to get the job done.

The Eagles also didn't give think to give Justice any TE help as Osi ripped him a new one. Whimper will have to step up if one of the tackles goes down. We already have a headache with stuffed WR and RB rosters and adding another guy to a full OL roster would be a nightmare.