SportsWrath

Anyone catch that guy we passed over

JackStroud

MAN what an athlete.....scored 81 0n the US Open course a few days before the tournament

2 birdies..........lots of pars

He could play pro golf if he chose, and he rarely plays golf

whipped Michael Jordan who plays every day

yep he is a great golfer... as for the hype about him being a top 3 qb like alot of these analysts make him out to be - I disagree with that... Look how he played in 2008 during the regular season... At times he was downright awful. He is wildly inconsistent but has some great comebacks and does get the W's (even though I think his defense bails him out alot). I just don't get how some people are so quick to crown him and bash Eli.... Ben has been blessed with not good but GREAT defenses. I give him all the credit in the world for his playing his best when it counts in the 4th quarter... but he was a BAD quarterback for the majority of 2008... I just don't get the different ends of the spectrum both quarterbacks are placed on by the so called experts

I didn't say he was far superior to Eli.....perhaps a bit better, certainly more mobile

The thing is we could have had Rothlingsberger or Philip Rivers (well we did have Phil for 2 minutes) and not had to give up the farm

We paid a lot for a slightly better than average QB, a "Faux" Manning if you will. Also I think Rivers and Ben would have handled the NY pressure a bit better

Eli goes into slumps and I think its mental not physically induced slumps......Eli is a bit mellow

Having said that he often rises to the occasion and shocks the heck out of you with moments of pure genius.....a diabolical hero if there ever was one

In the end Eli will be remembered as more a Phil Simms than a Joe Montana or a Peyton Manning

I didn't say he was far superior to Eli.....perhaps a bit better, certainly more mobile

The thing is we could have had Rothlingsberger or Philip Rivers (well we did have Phil for 2 minutes) and not had to give up the farm

We paid a lot for a slightly better than average QB, a "Faux" Manning if you will. Also I think Rivers and Ben would have handled the NY pressure a bit better

Eli goes into slumps and I think its mental not physically induced slumps......Eli is a bit mellow

Having said that he often rises to the occasion and shocks the heck out of you with moments of pure genius.....a diabolical hero if there ever was one

In the end Eli will be remembered as more a Phil Simms than a Joe Montana or a Peyton Manning

Disagree with the first part - I don't think Rivers has the head at all for New York - we have seen that guy lose his cool plenty of times before. He's a bit of a loose cannon. Ben can handle the heat probably the same way Eli did - but not better. Eli is fine in NY - that is kind of one thing u can't knock him for. Dude has composure.

Agree somewhat with your last statement - Although I think he will be remembered as superior to Phil. He is already putting up better numbers - all he needs is one more ring and in my opinion that comparison can't be made anymore - eli will own NY.

No way could Ben play professional golf, he is no where consistent enough to play professional golf.

Why do you make that assumption? Because he shot an 81 on a hard course where they didn't roll the

greens and made the flag sticks as easy as possible. Not saying I shot a 81 at Bethpage (I didn't, nowhere

near close) but Ben really isn' that good.

No way could Ben play professional golf, he is no where consistent enough to play professional golf.

Why do you make that assumption? Because he shot an 81 on a hard course where they didn't roll the

greens and made the flag sticks as easy as possible. Not saying I shot a 81 at Bethpage (I didn't, nowhere

near close) but Ben really isn' that good.

Ten bucks says Jack doesn't understand 99% of the golfer lingo here....the entire point of this topic was to diss Eli

I'm OK with that. We went to multiple playoffs and went to two Superbowls because of Simms. (He was 10-2 in '90 before he was knocked out, 10-3 if you want to include the game he didn'f finish.) His accuracy actually peaked late in his career, and we probably would have seen more playoffs if he was actually played during a certain inept coach's tenure.

If Phil had some WRs to throw to along with Zeke Mowatt and Mark Bavaro, you'd be comparing Eli to a HOF'er. Instead, he had household names like Earnest Gray, Lionel Manuel, Stacy Robinson, and Stephen Baker as "clutch performers." Not exactly in the same calibur as Jon Taylor/Jerry Rice.

But the fact of the matter is that Eli has already proven himself to be a much better clutch/late game QB than Phil. And barring injury, he should blow Phil away on TD passes.

I'm OK with that. We went to multiple playoffs and went to two Superbowls because of Simms. (He was 10-2 in '90 before he was knocked out, 10-3 if you want to include the game he didn'f finish.) His accuracy actually peaked late in his career, and we probably would have seen more playoffs if he was actually played during a certain inept coach's tenure.

If Phil had some WRs to throw to along with Zeke Mowatt and Mark Bavaro, you'd be comparing Eli to a HOF'er. Instead, he had household names like Earnest Gray, Lionel Manuel, Stacy Robinson, and Stephen Baker as "clutch performers." Not exactly in the same calibur as Jon Taylor/Jerry Rice.

But the fact of the matter is that Eli has already proven himself to be a much better clutch/late game QB than Phil. And barring injury, he should blow Phil away on TD passes.

The TOUCHDOWN MAKER!!!!

This may seem crazy, but I'd have liked to have Lionel Manuel in last years playoffs.

We also passed over Robert Gallery, heard he can't hit a golfball worth a shit. If you think about it, we passed over like 400 players in that draft. Does anyone have the golfing abilities listed for all those guys?

We also passed over Robert Gallery, heard he can't hit a golfball worth a shit. If you think about it, we passed over like 400 players in that draft. Does anyone have the golfing abilities listed for all those guys?

From what I've read, Gallery can't hit a DE worth a shit, either.

yep he is a great golfer... as for the hype about him being a top 3 qb like alot of these analysts make him out to be - I disagree with that... Look how he played in 2008 during the regular season... At times he was downright awful. He is wildly inconsistent but has some great comebacks and does get the W's (even though I think his defense bails him out alot). I just don't get how some people are so quick to crown him and bash Eli.... Ben has been blessed with not good but GREAT defenses. I give him all the credit in the world for his playing his best when it counts in the 4th quarter... but he was a BAD quarterback for the majority of 2008... I just don't get the different ends of the spectrum both quarterbacks are placed on by the so called experts

likewise you can't want to crown eli and downplay what roethlisberger has done either...as for 2008, he had a very weak o-line in front of him, and was under pressure a majority of the season. plus, his numbers for 2008 are not "bad" as you put it, and if you take out the giants game and colts game, where he threw 7 picks, his numbers start looking a whole lot better...and eli has benefited from some better than good defenses that have carried that team, as well as a running game that bosts two 1,000 yard rushers last season...roethlisberger gets the nod in this comparison hands down...

This may seem crazy, but I'd have liked to have Lionel Manuel in last years playoffs.

No, but I heard Matt Stafford plays one HELL of a ping pong game. Why the FUCK didnt Reese trade all our picks away to get him??? :furious: JERRY...............YOU IMGRATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

likewise you can't want to crown eli and downplay what roethlisberger has done either...as for 2008, he had a very weak o-line in front of him, and was under pressure a majority of the season.

Gee, when we talk about how great Ben was and how bad Eli played in 2004, you didn't mention the olines. Funny how that works.

plus, his numbers for 2008 are not "bad" as you put it, and if you take out the giants game and colts game, where he threw 7 picks, his numbers start looking a whole lot better...

Again, you'd be all over a giant's fan for tossing out bad performances. But it works here?

and eli has benefited from some better than good defenses that have carried that team,

It's a shame Pittsburgh has such a terrible defense. Really tragic. Oh, wait...isn't it Pittsburgh that had a top-10 defense in each of the last 5 years while we had to deal with Tim Lewis for three of those years?

as well as a running game that bosts two 1,000 yard rushers last season...roethlisberger gets the nod in this comparison hands down...

And didn't you say in a number of different threads that Brandon Jacobs wasn't that big a deal?

Mario Manningham's draft status didn't drop because he was a dunderhead in college, it was that he sucked at badminton that made so many teams pass on him. Reese was about to pass on him in the 3rd until he got inside info that he was the shit at double dutch, and swooped in to get him. That's because Jerry learned from his mistake on passing on Big Ben and his golfing ability, seeing as it is clearly pertinent in being a football player.

Jerry Reese.............smart man, even smarter GM.

Gee, when we talk about how great Ben was and how bad Eli played in 2004, you didn't mention the olines. Funny how that works.

Again, you'd be all over a giant's fan for tossing out bad performances. But it works here?

It's a shame Pittsburgh has such a terrible defense. Really tragic. Oh, wait...isn't it Pittsburgh that had a top-10 defense in each of the last 5 years while we had to deal with Tim Lewis for three of those years?

And didn't you say in a number of different threads that Brandon Jacobs wasn't that big a deal?

the dog doesn't recall being in any 2004 who is better debates (other than the dog believes that the trade was not a good one, but that is completely a different debate all together), but if you want to credit manning and state his production or lack there of was impacted by a bad o-line, by all means, you will get no argument from the dog. the dog is just saying that if you want to discredit roethlisberger's success because he had a great defense, then you have to look at manning the same way. the dog never said they had a terrible defense (if you would read prior to responding, the dog was simply stating that manning has benefited from a strong defense as well over the last few seasons). and yes, the dog believes jacobs is overrated...hence two 1000 yard backs...but that kind of production does take a lot of heat off an inconsistent passer, wouldn't you agree?

the dog doesn't recall being in any 2004 who is better debates (other than the dog believes that the trade was not a good one, but that is completely a different debate all together), but if you want to credit manning and state his production or lack there of was impacted by a bad o-line, by all means, you will get no argument from the dog. the dog is just saying that if you want to discredit roethlisberger's success because he had a great defense, then you have to look at manning the same way. the dog never said they had a terrible defense (if you would read prior to responding, the dog was simply stating that manning has benefited from a strong defense as well over the last few seasons). and yes, the dog believes jacobs is overrated...hence two 1000 yard backs...but that kind of production does take a lot of heat off an inconsistent passer, wouldn't you agree?

Of course it's the same discussion--it always comes down to Ben vs. Eli in those trade debates. That or Manning's value vs. 3 San Diego picks.

Not only did I read your ridiculous post, but I quoted it. I'm looking at a Pittsburgh team that has had an excellent defense for the last 5 years, and reading your implication that the only thing redeeming Manning is an excellent defense. Somehow Roethlisberger's stats are purely his alone, while Manning's positive stats are owned by everyone but him. Quite a double-standard, don't you think?

Ben has also had the benefit of at least an above average oline his entire career. Again, this has only developed in the last 2-3 years with Manning. No surprise Manning's stats have improved, is it? But does that put Roethlisberger head and shoulders above Manning if for the first few years of his career he had a clear advantage?

He's had the Bus and Willie Parker through a chunk of his career; Mewelde Moore did a good job filling the hole made by injuries last year, and between Parker and Moore they did get over 1200 yards.

I'm not saying anything negative about Roethlisberger, but if you are going to put him on a pedestal, then how about recognizing that he's had as many advantages as Manning has now, except for a longer time.

Of course it's the same discussion--it always comes down to Ben vs. Eli in those trade debates. That or Manning's value vs. 3 San Diego picks.

Not only did I read your ridiculous post, but I quoted it. I'm looking at a Pittsburgh team that has had an excellent defense for the last 5 years, and reading your implication that the only thing redeeming Manning is an excellent defense. Somehow Roethlisberger's stats are purely his alone, while Manning's positive stats are owned by everyone but him. Quite a double-standard, don't you think?

Ben has also had the benefit of at least an above average oline his entire career. Again, this has only developed in the last 2-3 years with Manning. No surprise Manning's stats have improved, is it? But does that put Roethlisberger head and shoulders above Manning if for the first few years of his career he had a clear advantage?

He's had the Bus and Willie Parker through a chunk of his career; Mewelde Moore did a good job filling the hole made by injuries last year, and between Parker and Moore they did get over 1200 yards.

I'm not saying anything negative about Roethlisberger, but if you are going to put him on a pedestal, then how about recognizing that he's had as many advantages as Manning has now, except for a longer time.

I'm not putting him on a pedestal.....I said he was a good golfer for a football player

He is a a very good QB also....it will take 10 years too figure out which one was better.....Eli is fine

Its Pierce who gives me heartburn

what was ridiculous about it, it didn't kiss Eli's shiny white bottom? all the dog did was respond to a, how did you put it, ridiculous post that roethlisberger was overrated and not worthy of a top 3 rating...all because he had mediocre stats in 2008...would you feel a little better if the dog said something nice about sweet little eli? the dog thought his electronic set up in his apartment is cool, which the dog has said before...

look, the dog doesn't necessarily enjoy roethlisberger all that much...in fact, there is something quite irritating about him. but his numbers are solids...he plays consistent in the position...he wins...he creates plays when there are no plays...and he has two super bowls...he is the better QB.

Let me guess, Jack is complaining about someone who's on our team, has done well for us (ie contributed mightily to our SB victory), and thinks someone else should be here.

This is an old song with Jack. Regrettably, you all can get used to it; it's his one note.

What a fucking bore. :rimshot:

Let me guess, Jack is complaining about someone who's on our team, has done well for us (ie contributed mightily to our SB victory), and thinks someone else should be here.

This is an old song with Jack. Regrettably, you all can get used to it; it's his one note.

What a fucking bore. :rimshot:

All I did was speculate what Reese would have done in Accorsi's shoes

boy you guys ae real sensitive about Eli.....get over it

correct me if I'm wrong......didn't Eli win a SB and go to the Pro Bowl (and do even better there, proving perhaps our receivers are not up to league standards for exellence) Why did Eli look so much better in the Pro Bowl than he usually does.....food for thought

what was ridiculous about it, it didn't kiss Eli's shiny white bottom? all the dog did was respond to a, how did you put it, ridiculous post that roethlisberger was overrated and not worthy of a top 3 rating...all because he had mediocre stats in 2008...would you feel a little better if the dog said something nice about sweet little eli? the dog thought his electronic set up in his apartment is cool, which the dog has said before...

look, the dog doesn't necessarily enjoy roethlisberger all that much...in fact, there is something quite irritating about him. but his numbers are solids...he plays consistent in the position...he wins...he creates plays when there are no plays...and he has two super bowls...he is the better QB.

I honestly don't care whose ass you kiss, or even if it's his ass or not.

If you think Manning is overrated, you should think Roethlisberger is as well, for the exact same reason: they benefit from the team around them. Frankly, Brees is a better argument for third, because he helped elevate the play for two distinct offenses. Granted, he wasn't the driving force in San Diego, but but I'm guessing Antonio Gates misses him.

The absurdity of you minimizing Eli's improvement by talking about the strength of the rest of the team, while simultaneously disregarding the strength of the Steelers lo these past 4 years when mentioning Ben's stats speaks for itself.

nice badger game Jack, this is just typical of you. It's the reason that a lot of good posters have just about given up on boards like these... it's old and tired.

Rather than just demonize one of the team members who isn't going anywhere anytime soon, why don't you focus on something else for a minute, like who we'll defend against the Eagles passing threat, etc.

I honestly don't care whose ass you kiss, or even if it's his ass or not.

If you think Manning is overrated, you should think Roethlisberger is as well, for the exact same reason: they benefit from the team around them. Frankly, Brees is a better argument for third, because he helped elevate the play for two distinct offenses. Granted, he wasn't the driving force in San Diego, but but I'm guessing Antonio Gates misses him.

The absurdity of you minimizing Eli's improvement by talking about the strength of the rest of the team, while simultaneously disregarding the strength of the Steelers lo these past 4 years when mentioning Ben's stats speaks for itself.

the dog would agree 100% that Brees would be a more deserving #3 ranking...again, all the dog did was respond to a poster that said Roethlisberger is not worthy of consideration there...he is. why? because he has consistent solid numbers, and he wins...consistently. The second part of the dog's response to that post was that you can't take from him his accomplishments because he had a great defense, and by doing so, you can't not say the same for manning. in the end, the dog believes that roethlisberger is the better QB at this point based on all that has been mentioned. you disagree, fine. when manning shows the same level of consistency, maybe the dog will reconsider. and this just in, the dog doesn't feel manning is overrated, because manning typically doesn't rank high on lists (deserved or not)...jacobs, he is overrated...manning is just inconsistent.