SportsWrath

LB Boley has surgery

BigPete

from http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story...?story_id=37843

LB Boley undergoes surgery

By Michael Eisen, Giants.com

JUNE 24, 2009

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - The Giants announced on Wednesday that weakside linebacker Michael Boley underwent arthroscopic surgery today to repair a torn labrum in his hip. The surgery was performed by team physician Dr. Bryan Kelly at the Hospital for Special Surgery. A full recovery is expected in approximately 8-10 weeks, the team said. Boley signed with the Giants as a free agent on Feb. 28 after four years with the Atlanta Falcons. Weakside linebacker is the only one of the 22 positions for the Giants to have three starters last season, and all three of those players – Gerris Wilkinson, Bryan Kehl and Chase Blackburn – are still with the team.

Is this a big deal?

pisses me off as i have high hopes for boley

The Giants signed two more of their draft picks, receiver Ramses Barden and quarterback Rhett Bomar. Barden was taken in the third round, Bomar in the fifth. To create spots on the roster, tight end George Wrighster and offensive lineman Mike Fladell were released.

This is a VERY big deal. Must be a new injury. Puts him out of action until almost opening day, meaning he MIGHT be ready to contribute by midway through the season. &%$#!!! Wasted FA signing.

This is a VERY big deal. Must be a new injury. Puts him out of action until almost opening day, meaning he MIGHT be ready to contribute by midway through the season. &%$#!!! Wasted FA signing.

He's still a young prospect, might be okay in the long run...and you never know, he might pick up the defense quick and come in and make waves as the starter, regardless of hip injury...I'll look at this as a setback until I see how he contributes during the season...

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

June 24, 2009

Posted: 4:03 pm

June 24, 2009 Michael Boley was the first player the Giants signed in free agency this offseason and was expected to move in as the starting weakside linebacker.

Boley, though, figures to miss all of training camp after he underwent arthroscopic surgery today to repair a torn labrum in his hip.

The Giants say a full recovery is expected in 8-10 weeks. That means at the earliest, Boley would be ready to return at the end of August. The Giants break camp at the University at Albany on Aug. 25.

JUNE 11: BOLEY BRINGS EXPERIENCE

This is a blow to the defense; Boley after four years with the Falcons needed all the time he could getting acclimated into the new scheme. He signed with the Giants on Feb. 28 and participated in the offseason program, which gave him a taste of what to expect as far as his assignments.

Without the benefit of training camp, Boley, 26, will be far behind and there's no guarantee he'll be ready to play by the Sept. 13 regular-season opener against the Redskins.

The spot Boley was supposed to fill has been a problem area for the Giants. They used three starters last season at weakside linebacker: Gerris Wilkinson, Bryan Kehl and Chase Blackburn. All remain on the roster but Boley was signed to start and the other three are considered backups.

The Giants signed two more of their draft picks, receiver Ramses Barden and quarterback Rhett Bomar. Barden was taken in the third round, Bomar in the fifth.

To create spots on the roster, tight end George Wrighster and offensive lineman Mike Fladell were released.

so now both of our "new" LB's are injured :wallbash Still think Sintim and Boley will be ready by start of season,Sheridans scheme is pretty much custom made for these two guys,We will not be dropping our LB's into coverage anymore which is fantastic.

so now both of our "new" LB's are injured :wallbash Still think Sintim and Boley will be ready by start of season,Sheridans scheme is pretty much custom made for these two guys,We will not be dropping our LB's into coverage anymore which is fantastic.

Where did you read that? He said we won't be using the zone blitz as much (dropping DEs into coverage and blitzing LBs) but I don't know how we could avoid having LBs cover.

That would be quite a feat. Bill Sheridan must be a genius!

Jesus fucking Christ, are you kidding me? It's the same surgery that Alex Rodriguez

and Carlos Delgado have undergone.

This sucks!

Yea but I'm not too worried about it. I'm glad we found out about it now than in August.

He's going to bring the safty down alot, cause our rush is gong to be insane, and QB's wont have a lot of time to throw. We will still need good LB coverage though.

^this^ putting the safety in the box what a novel idea and are corners can play man to man,won't be dropping LBs into coverage has much which is grand!

Where did you read that? He said we won't be using the zone blitz as much (dropping DEs into coverage and blitzing LBs) but I don't know how we could avoid having LBs cover.

You it avoid by bringing the entire front seven at the QB,Kenny Phillips will take care to the TE. Boley and Sintim can drop into coverage they are not great at it but can do it if asked which they won't be asked much.

You it avoid by bringing the entire front seven at the QB,Kenny Phillips will take care to the TE. Boley and Sintim can drop into coverage they are not great at it but can do it if asked which they won't be asked much.

Brian Westbrook just read your response and came in his pants.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't putting a Safety in the box pull another man out of coverage and in fact increase the need to put an LB out there? You stack 8 in the box against an obvious run play, not to boost coverage.

And when ever, aside from a goalline stand situation, have we brought 7 rushers?