SportsWrath

Building Blocks

Bigblue25

Ultimate Building Blocks: NFC East

June 11, 2009 11:06 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

If you were allowed to draft 10 players from the NFC East to serve as the core of a Super Bowl contender for the next three seasons, who would they be? I asked you guys to answer this question Wednesday, and you responded in a big way -- as always.

Insider: Building Blocks

Who might crack the list of Ultimate Building Blocks next season? Let's examine. Football Outsiders

• NFC: N | S | E | W

• AFC: N | S | E | W

Who are top 10 Ultimate Building Blocks in the entire league? Scouts Inc.

Now it's time to reveal my list of players who will lead me to Super Bowls over the next three seasons. With the talent base in the Beast, this team wins three consecutive Lombardi trophies. OK, let's get to it:

1. Eli Manning, QB, New York Giants: I think Tony Romo is capable of breaking through in the playoffs, but give me the young guy who has already done it. Manning is about to have a huge season. I'm talking MVP-caliber season.

2. DeMarcus Ware, OLB, Dallas Cowboys: Ware told the Beast on Tuesday that he's ready to take his game to a new level. He's not worried about another 20-sack season. He wants to make players such as Anthony Spencer and Jay Ratliff more dangerous. He's the most dynamic defender in the league right now.

3. Albert Haynesworth, DT, Washington Redskins: He's the most dominant defensive tackle we've seen in years. He's virtually impossible to block one-on-one. I think he'll make a huge impact on the defense in '09. Enough to get the Skins to the playoffs? Probably not.

Rich Kane/US Presswire

Eli Manning enters the 2009 season with 98 career touchdown passes.

4. Asante Samuel, CB, Philadelphia Eagles: He's hands down the best cornerback in the division, although Terence Newman's close when healthy. The ball always seems to find Samuel, and that's the best compliment you can pay a defensive back.

5. Jason Peters, LT, Philadelphia Eagles: Fantastic move by the Eagles to land one of the top left tackles in the league. He's certainly the best left tackle in the NFC East, and he'll protect Donovan McNabb's blind side for the next two seasons.

6. Jason Witten, TE, Dallas Cowboys: He's become the best all-around tight end in the league. He's a matchup nightmare for linebackers and safeties. With T.O. gone, Witten could have the best year for a tight end in franchise history.

7. Justin Tuck, DE, New York Giants: He took full advantage of Osi Umenyiora's absence to become the heart and soul of this defense. The smartest move Jerry Reese ever made was signing Tuck to an extension before the Super Bowl in 2007. Otherwise, Tuck would be preparing to break the bank. Also one of the best locker-room guys a team could have.

8. Brandon Jacobs, RB, New York Giants: I think Jacobs gives this offense its identity. When he's running downhill, he's almost impossible to stop. When he was banged up last December, the offense struggled.

9. Brian Orakpo, DE, Washington Redskins: If the Skins use him properly (at the line of scrimmage), Orakpo will be an absolute terror. I don't like him playing the SAM linebacker on first and second downs, but you guys already know that. Fantastic college player who will be a big-time producer at this level.

10. Brian Westbrook, RB, Philadelphia Eagles: I really struggled on this one because I have immense respect for Redskins wide receiver Santana Moss. But leaving Westbrook off the list didn't feel right. His injuries are a definite concern, but he's still a dangerous player. I think Westbrook has two solid seasons left in him. So let's put him on the team.

Honorable mention: Moss, Romo, Newman, Marion Barber, Felix Jones, Leonard Davis, Trent Cole, DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, LeSean McCoy, McNabb, London Fletcher, LaRon Landry, Hakeem Nicks, Chris Cooley, Clinton Portis, Jay Ratliff, Bradie James, Osi Umenyiora, Corey Webster and Antonio Pierce.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=b...%20blocks%20nfc

honorable mention, antonio pierce...? Only if they decide that his new position on the defense is standing directly behind a DT.

Anyway, I think Jacobs and Manning are 1 and 2 bar none. Jacobs gets the nod ahead of Manning because without a run game, which Jacobs is the heart and soul of, especially without D Ward...Manning will struggle.

I'm sorry, but why the fuck is there a rookie DE on that list... and above Brian Westbrook? Are they serious? I hate the Eagles as much as the next Giants fan, but you have to give credit where credit is due. Sure he's been injured, but that guy still scares the shit out of me when he touches the ball and not many players can do that.

I'm sorry, but why the fuck is there a rookie DE on that list... and above Brian Westbrook? Are they serious? I hate the Eagles as much as the next Giants fan, but you have to give credit where credit is due. Sure he's been injured, but that guy still scares the shit out of me when he touches the ball and not many players can do that.

Exactly what I was thinking. Orakpo could have a great year because of all the attention Haynesworth will get but a rookie should not be on this list. Also Haynesworth is just as likely to become his old self and just show up and cash cheques.

Exactly what I was wondering.

And I wouldn't have put Westbrook up there either given the premise of the article - 10 guys to build a team around. You don't build around 30+ year old injury prone runningbacks, no matter how great they've been in the past. There's a reason Philly spent a fairly high '09 pick on a Westbrook clone.

I'd put Corey Webster up there instead. Maybe Chris Snee too. I wouldn't have been offended if Tony Homo made his way on the bottom of the list either.

Exactly what I was wondering.

And I wouldn't have put Westbrook up there either given the premise of the article - 10 guys to build a team around. You don't build around 30+ year old injury prone runningbacks, no matter how great they've been in the past. There's a reason Philly spent a fairly high '09 pick on a Westbrook clone.

I'd put Corey Webster up there instead. Maybe Chris Snee too. I wouldn't have been offended if Tony Homo made his way on the bottom of the list either.

I was wondering why Peters is on the list, he is far from a franchise LT. Osi I would put on the list probably even ahead of Tuck, I have been clamoring for Osi has the best DE in the game for 4 years, I know one thing he will make fatass Peters look silly and Philadelphia is the one team that doesn't give their LT any help.

I was wondering why Peters is on the list, he is far from a franchise LT. Osi I would put on the list probably even ahead of Tuck, I have been clamoring for Osi has the best DE in the game for 4 years, I know one thing he will make fatass Peters look silly and Philadelphia is the one team that doesn't give their LT any help.

Peters was great in Buffalo a couple years ago, but word is the fatass didn't keep himself in shape and fell off in '08. I think he'll get motivated for his new team and have a good '09...and increasingly mediocre years thereafter.

I think I agree on Osi, I just hope the injury didn't take too much out of him. He looked like he was on the verge of a career year in '09 before he went down. Jason Peters doesn't often play against anyone like him in the AFC East.

1. Eli Manning, QB, New York Giants: I think Tony Romo is capable of breaking through in the playoffs, but give me the young guy who has already done it. Manning is about to have a huge season. I'm talking MVP-caliber season.

Not sure about Eli having an MVP caliber season. Still a tad concerned about our wr situation.

Peters was great in Buffalo a couple years ago, but word is the fatass didn't keep himself in shape and fell off in '08. I think he'll get motivated for his new team and have a good '09...and increasingly mediocre years thereafter.

I think I agree on Osi, I just hope the injury didn't take too much out of him. He looked like he was on the verge of a career year in '09 before he went down. Jason Peters doesn't often play against anyone like him in the AFC East.

Yeah, I'm also very concerned about Osi. You have to hope that he'll come back as good as ever, but it's a knee... and for him to play at the level we've seen him it has to be strong and just as good as it always has been. If it is, I can't even imagine what Tuck and Osi are going to do to QB's on the ends.