SportsWrath

David Wright frustrated by Citi?

Allstarjim

It's a bit dated... but I just read this from ESPN.com and thought it was worth a mention here:

David Wright, Mets (.833 OPS at home, 1.090 on the road)

In a recent Sirius XM radio interview with Cal and Bill Ripken, Chipper Jones said Wright is a "little frustrated" with the Mets' new park. Based on the Braves' first visit to New York this year, Jones isn't very high on the place, either.

"I juiced the ball just right of center field as hard as the good Lord can let me hit a ball, and it hit midways up the center-field wall for a double," Jones said. "And every time there was a long fly out or a double that hit off the wall or something, David Wright would run by me and go, 'Nice park.'"

Mets manager Jerry Manuel recently observed that Wright might be trying too hard at home, and a National League scout seconded that opinion.

"He might be more adversely affected by the new park than anyone on that team," the scout said of Wright. "He's got power, but he's not a legit slugger, and that field is Death Valley all over the place. And because of his personality, I think he sees himself as having to carry that club, especially with the scrutiny they get at home."

Last year, in the finale for Shea Stadium, the Mets ranked ninth in the majors with 95 home runs at home. This year, New York is 27th in the big leagues with 21 homers at Citi Field.

For what it's worth, the Mets aren't hitting with much power regardless of where they play. Wright has gone deep once outside Citi Field, and the Mets are 29th in the majors with 16 homers on the road. The loss of Carlos Delgado to a hip injury certainly hasn't helped.

Wright, Carlos Beltran and Ryan Church all homered Tuesday, and the Phillies and Mets combined for seven home runs at Citi, so maybe the park will be more hitter-friendly when the nights start getting warmer.

Link to ESPN

Yet he's leading the league in hitting, has solid RBI numbers with nothing batting in front of him, and has 17 SBs.

He's fine. God forbid we get some adequate support from him then his numbers would be better.

Yet he's leading the league in hitting, has solid RBI numbers with nothing batting in front of him, and has 17 SBs.

He's fine. God forbid we get some adequate support from him then his numbers would be better.

Yeah, gateb, going off of the Chipper quote it seems as though he's just frustrated that it's so hard to hit one out. XXI said something interesting about him, that he's never considered him a true homerun guy, that he should be a high average guy, with 18-20 or so homers, a lot of stolen bases, etc. I think that would be great as long as he's hitting .330 plus. We just need guys to drive in runs. Honestly I'm good with Wright being that type of player, but we still need the power bats in the lineup. Beltran maybe has a bit more power than Wright, but he's almost in the same boat, you know... kind of a tweener as far as being a power bat or a line drive hitter. I think we need two legit homerun bats in the lineup... Delgado and Sheffield circa 2003 would do it, lol. Really, even though I still believe Church has potential, we need more from our corner outfield spots than potential.

Yeah, gateb, going off of the Chipper quote it seems as though he's just frustrated that it's so hard to hit one out. XXI said something interesting about him, that he's never considered him a true homerun guy, that he should be a high average guy, with 18-20 or so homers, a lot of stolen bases, etc. I think that would be great as long as he's hitting .330 plus. We just need guys to drive in runs. Honestly I'm good with Wright being that type of player, but we still need the power bats in the lineup. Beltran maybe has a bit more power than Wright, but he's almost in the same boat, you know... kind of a tweener as far as being a power bat or a line drive hitter. I think we need two legit homerun bats in the lineup... Delgado and Sheffield circa 2003 would do it, lol. Really, even though I still believe Church has potential, we need more from our corner outfield spots than potential.

Yeah. If we had a bopper in the middle of the lineup no one would care that Wright's power numbers were down. They'd probably be complimenting about how he's improved as an overall ball player and adjusted his game to the park he'll be playing in for the rest of his career.

I'm going to be a broken record on this. Matt Holliday is the perfect antidote. We desperately need a right handed hitter that can put the ball over the fence any given at bat. I know his numbers aren't exactly staggering, but he's more of a threat than any other guy we have.

Any thumpers out there that will be FAs in 2009-10?

Yeah. If we had a bopper in the middle of the lineup no one would care that Wright's power numbers were down. They'd probably be complimenting about how he's improved as an overall ball player and adjusted his game to the park he'll be playing in for the rest of his career.

I'm going to be a broken record on this. Matt Holliday is the perfect antidote. We desperately need a right handed hitter that can put the ball over the fence any given at bat. I know his numbers aren't exactly staggering, but he's more of a threat than any other guy we have.

Any thumpers out there that will be FAs in 2009-10?

Here's a list... Holliday's there, also Aubrey Huff. Slim pickings. Jason Bay is there, who I think is the absolute perfect fit on this team (wondering why we didn't make a bid for him last year when he was being shopped), obviously he's not going to be available.

Link

Here's a list... Holliday's there, also Aubrey Huff. Slim pickings. Jason Bay is there, who I think is the absolute perfect fit on this team (wondering why we didn't make a bid for him last year when he was being shopped), obviously he's not going to be available.

Link

I love Victor Martinez.

You know not for nothing, but if I told you the Mets would lose Reyes AND Delgado for extended time begining in May, would lose JJ Puts for 2-3 months, would get nothing from Ollie Perez, would lose John Maine to the DL, would lose Church for a few weeks, Daniel Murphy would be hitting 238 on June 17th and they would have no one on the roster with over 10 homers. How many games would you say they were out? 10? 12?

Its time we start giving Manuel some credit. I am not crazy about the man and think he is too forgiving of many of the mental errors this team makes, 3 of which come to mind that actually cost them wins. With all that said they are 3 out. If I am a Phillies fan when you consider what they have gotten from some of key guys besides the big 3 and the Mets are in the state they are in I would be very frustrated(not with my team)but with the fact the Mets are hanging in.

3 out with what has occured is a minor miracle at this point.

As for guys to get, go get Huff, hes versatile and does not create controversy when and if Delgado comes back as he can play the OF and add a nice little rotation with Sheff, Church and can spell Delgado late in games for defense.

Its gonna be interesting how this team uses this time as a confidence booster as to what they could really do when at full strength.

You know not for nothing, but if I told you the Mets would lose Reyes AND Delgado for extended time begining in May, would lose JJ Puts for 2-3 months, would get nothing from Ollie Perez, would lose John Maine to the DL, would lose Church for a few weeks, Daniel Murphy would be hitting 238 on June 17th and they would have no one on the roster with over 10 homers. How many games would you say they were out? 10? 12?

Its time we start giving Manuel some credit. I am not crazy about the man and think he is too forgiving of many of the mental errors this team makes, 3 of which come to mind that actually cost them wins. With all that said they are 3 out. If I am a Phillies fan when you consider what they have gotten from some of key guys besides the big 3 and the Mets are in the state they are in I would be very frustrated(not with my team)but with the fact the Mets are hanging in.

3 out with what has occured is a minor miracle at this point.

As for guys to get, go get Huff, hes versatile and does not create controversy when and if Delgado comes back as he can play the OF and add a nice little rotation with Sheff, Church and can spell Delgado late in games for defense.

Its gonna be interesting how this team uses this time as a confidence booster as to what they could really do when at full strength.

I'm worried that we're not gonna get Reyes back. For some reason I have a bad feeling he'll keep getting setbacks until he has to be shut down completely. Like wagner last year.