SportsWrath

Cervelli

BullsOnParade

Guest StrahansGap

and Cervelli knows how to call a game and he's a hustler. I NEVER liked Posada behind the plate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/sports/b...html?ref=sports

One unsettling fact for the Yankees is the difference when Jorge Posada catches. With Posada behind the plate, the Yankees’ pitchers have a 6.31 E.R.A. The combined E.R.A. with Francisco Cervelli, Jose Molina and Kevin Cash is 3.81.

Posada has caught four starts by Chien-Ming Wang, whose job status is now evaluated on a game-by-game basis. Even removing those starts, the staff’s E.R.A. with Posada is still high, at 5.47.

Yet Burnett, in particular, seems to struggle with him. In Burnett’s four starts pitching to Posada, opponents have batted .330. In nine starts with the other catchers, the average is .223.

But before a caller even has a chance at bringing those stats up Fatscessa will scream at them "BUT HE WANTS TO CATCH!!!! HE WANTS TO CATCH!!! YOU CAN'T JUST LET HIM DH WHEN HE WANTS TO CATCH!!!!!"

Apparently Girardi has to do what his players want regardless of the impact it has on the team.

I've been saying Cervelli should be our starting catcher with Jorge at DH and Hideki son on the bench

Matsui > Cervelli though. I love Cervelli's hustle and all that, hopefully next year Jorge can DH for good, Matsui will be gone and Cervelli can catch full time. Until then, Cervelli should be playing everyday down at AAA.

• 2 weeks later...
Matsui > Cervelli though. I love Cervelli's hustle and all that, hopefully next year Jorge can DH for good, Matsui will be gone and Cervelli can catch full time. Until then, Cervelli should be playing everyday down at AAA.

I don't know. I'd like to see him get more games right now, up here, in case we need him at the end of the season and in the play offs.

He's only a temp, anyway. Jesus Montero is our future.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=524968

I hope he learns a little of the queens English before they bring him up.

so, whats the excuse for cc's performance last night..clearly it wasnt posada.

pitchers have bad games, it happens..last time I saw burnett and posada, they worked a 1 hitter with 10 k's. the posada calls a bad game argument is beyond ridiculous.

pitchers have bad games, it happens..last time I saw burnett and posada, they worked a 1 hitter with 10 k's. the posada calls a bad game argument is beyond ridiculous.

You’re going by one game. Posada also caught one of the perfect games in the 90's. Look at the stats of the last five years or so. Pay particular attention to the high pitch counts. At least two pitchers, Moose and RJ didn’t even want him behind the plate when they pitched. There could have been others that didn’t want to stir things up.

You don’t find it strange that the pitching staff made an about face after the media attention on Posada? And don’t forget, we faced four NL teams without a DH that couldn’t hit their way out of a paper bag. Except the Mets, but they were banged up. We’ll see what happens now that we’re facing deeper line ups.

Who knows? Maybe they had a team meeting and figured out what the problem was. I hope so. Like I said before, no one can call that bad a game. I know he still slaps at pitches, causing them to be called balls, and he still sets up behind the plate on throws home. That cost us a game recently when the ball hit the runner, giving Cano an error on a ball that should have been an out.

THANK YOU

Yankees fans are very quick to point fingers. (Believe me, I do it often too.)

Posada has more than been a good game caller behind the plate. I cant imagine thats something you just lose, or lose as you age, and it's not like we just traded for him last year.

The more I read the Yankees section, the more I realize Ditto likes to play point the finger game.

Yankees fans are very quick to point fingers. (Believe me, I do it often too.)

And you're damn quick to point to one bad game with Cervelli behind the plate.

There have been countless Yankees pitchers who have not wanted to throw to Posada. It isn't a new thing. He still has a role on the team but the man-love is clearly clouding your judgment as well as erasing some recent history.

And you're damn quick to point to one bad game with Cervelli behind the plate.

There have been countless Yankees pitchers who have not wanted to throw to Posada. It isn't a new thing. He still has a role on the team but the man-love is clearly clouding your judgment as well as erasing some recent history.

the only 2 pitchers I know of that didnt want to throw to Posada were Mike Mussina and Randy Johnson.....do I really need to tell you about their personailities? Mussina was HATED by his teammates in Baltimore and wasnt a favorite in the yankee clubhouse either. Randy Johnson..guy fought with teammates in the dougout all the time...basically, Mike Mussina and Randy Johnson are/were douche bags, they hold no wieght in this discussion.

Thats 2 pitchers, that happen to both be assholes, out of the dozens that jorge has caught that had a problem with him.

the posada cant call a game argument is dumb to begin with, and it gets even more dumb when you use randy johnson and mike mussina to support the argument.

the only 2 pitchers I know of that didnt want to throw to Posada were Mike Mussina and Randy Johnson.....do I really need to tell you about their personailities? Mussina was HATED by his teammates in Baltimore and wasnt a favorite in the yankee clubhouse either. Randy Johnson..guy fought with teammates in the dougout all the time...basically, Mike Mussina and Randy Johnson are/were douche bags, they hold no wieght in this discussion.

Thats 2 pitchers, that happen to both be assholes, out of the dozens that jorge has caught that had a problem with him.

the posada cant call a game argument is dumb to begin with, and it gets even more dumb when you use randy johnson and mike mussina to support the argument.

Assholes or not, Moose won his 20 games after shedding Posada as his catcher. I don't know where you got he was hated, anyway. He was a union mouthpiece and told it like it was.

You have to consider other pitchers who preferred Posada not catch them, but kept quiet because they didn't want to rock the boat. You also might be adding Joba to that list.

Assholes or not, Moose won his 20 games after shedding Posada as his catcher. I don't know where you got he was hated, anyway. He was a union mouthpiece and told it like it was.

You have to consider other pitchers who preferred Posada not catch them, but kept quiet because they didn't want to rock the boat. You also might be adding Joba to that list.

ditto seriously dude, Mussina won 18 games with Posada as his catcher...a hit here or there and he would have won 20. thats a really weak point to make.

...and in typical fashion, we send Cervelli down...why? Who the fuck knows, apparently Cody Ransom is the next Natural.

This sounds like a knock on Ransom. I totally agree. I would have kept Pena up as back up infielder any day. He's not as error prone, and I'd rather have a light hitting .260 than a .190 with occasional power.

As for Cervelli, he'll probably be up for good next year. Then in a couple of years we'll have a battle between him and Jesus Montero, who just may be the next Natural.

I liked Cervelli. Good catcher, good arm, can run, and so far, a damned good clutch hitter. Reminds me of Thurman Munson.

I liked Cervelli. Good catcher, good arm, can run, and so far, a damned good clutch hitter. Reminds me of Thurman Munson.

Look I like Cervelli too, but lets not get crazy here. He's never going to be 1/5th the offensive catcher Posada is and probably won't ever hit enough to be a serviceable starter in the majors. That being said, I think he can be a could second option for years to come on the Yankees.