SportsWrath

"Boldin to the Giants"

Lughead

I hate to spoil the party, but there's no present interest on our end in Anquan Boldin. This is the type of rumor that would be more appropriately classified as a myth; however, the team could pay someone like Boldin or Braylon Edwards if they wanted to. The notion we don't have the financial resources is false. There would be consequences of absorbing such a large contract, but it can be done. Never underestimate the creativity of NFL capologists.

Also, Tom Condon represents 75 NFL players. Connecting the dots between him and Eli and concluding that Boldin is suddenly on our radar is pretty foolish. Condon also represents Peyton Manning and Chad Pennington ... should we now link Boldin to the Colts and Dolphins? No.

Move along, people. There's nothing to see here.

I hate to spoil the party, but there's no present interest on our end in Anquan Boldin. This is the type of rumor that would be more appropriately classified as a myth; however, the team could pay someone like Boldin or Braylon Edwards if they wanted to. The notion we don't have the financial resources is false. There would be consequences of absorbing such a large contract, but it can be done. Never underestimate the creativity of NFL capologists.

Also, Tom Condon represents 75 NFL players. Connecting the dots between him and Eli and concluding that Boldin is suddenly on our radar is pretty foolish. Condon also represents Peyton Manning and Chad Pennington ... should we now link Boldin to the Colts and Dolphins? No.

Not us, but maybe the Colts should make that link.

I don't think it happens, but if 2010 & beyond is upcapped, price is no object.

He only played one season without Fitzgerald ( 2003 ) and has undoubtedly benefited from being the number two guy in each of the subsequent 5.

Not saying he can't be a legit number 1 wr but to date he has been a very succesful #2. Nothing more. Paying the guy 10 bills a year, or even 5, would be a reach IMHO.

This is the best and most convincing argument.

I have a dream :mellow:

Why? Because 2003 was statistically one of his best seasons?

I don't know about that.. I just think it's a well thought out and simplified argument that rings true in so many ways. besides H has been pretty wrong on a lot of things in the P&R section.. cut him some slack will ya!!!

jk, H :)

Yet another angle to look at this as why the Giants won't trade for Boldin, besides the points already given by Lubeck, Money, and HLB is that we just drafted a guy whose game mirrors Boldin's, that being Hakeem Nicks. All you guys that are wetting your pants about getting Boldin.... we basically already have him! Just give Nicks some time. If we are going to acquire a $10 mil per season receiver, it wouldn't be for a guy that our rookie WR is a clone of. It would be for a guy who is a burner and stretches the field... a Braylon or Randy Moss type... which also isn't happening.

I really believe the Giants are happy with the receivers they have, and expect Nicks to make an immediate, big contribution.

I would take the guy at a price but no way is the dude worth 10 sticks per. I wouldn't even give him 5.

How many times have we seen great #2s move to new teams and fail as #1s? No way you pay that kind of money to a guy that does not guarantee to demand double teams?

he was a legit #1 before fitz was drafted, and was arguably the #1 on that team until he got his face smashd against the jets. he was leading the nfl in many catagories before he was injured.

i dont want to trade for him either, but he's a legit #1 receiver

Yet another angle to look at this as why the Giants won't trade for Boldin, besides the points already given by Lubeck, Money, and HLB is that we just drafted a guy whose game mirrors Boldin's, that being Hakeem Nicks. All you guys that are wetting your pants about getting Boldin.... we basically already have him! Just give Nicks some time. If we are going to acquire a $10 mil per season receiver, it wouldn't be for a guy that our rookie WR is a clone of. It would be for a guy who is a burner and stretches the field... a Braylon or Randy Moss type... which also isn't happening.

I really believe the Giants are happy with the receivers they have, and expect Nicks to make an immediate, big contribution.

Wouldn't two Boldins be better than one? :mellow:

How hard is it for you to understand this.

Boldin is going to cost X amount of dollars. The Giants do not have X amount of dollars for the 2009 season. Boldin is wanting this trade because a franchise already lied to him. There is an almost infantile chance that he would trust a team that he would take the miniscule amount the Giants will have in cap for this season (also leaving no room for emergency signings) for future gain...future gains that will be limited because the Giants have existing players up for renewal.

Let me repeat:

Giants have reportedly 5 million in cap.

Giants have to sign rooks. Lets say that leaves them with 2 mill...

Giants LIKE ANY OTHER TEAM need to have cap space to sign emergency relief in case of injury.

Giants can commit 1 to 2 mill to Boldin this year.

IT IS NOT HAPPENING FOLKS! The Giants do not have the money to spend. Not with Eli and Osi both up for new deals. Please....PLEASE stop thinking it is a possibilty.

I don't know about that.. I just think it's a well thought out and simplified argument that rings true in so many ways. besides H has been pretty wrong on a lot of things in the P&R section.. cut him some slack will ya!!!

jk, H :)

LOL. It doesn;t ring true at all. He's put up nearly double our number one WR production from last year...and has done way better than Plaxico ever did the last 3-4 years. And we are talking about from a "#2 WR".

Boldin is going to cost X amount of dollars. The Giants do not have X amount of dollars for the 2009 season. Boldin is wanting this trade because a franchise already lied to him. There is an almost infantile chance that he would trust a team that he would take the miniscule amount the Giants will have in cap for this season (also leaving no room for emergency signings) for future gain...future gains that will be limited because the Giants have existing players up for renewal.

Let me repeat:

Giants LIKE ANY OTHER TEAM need to have cap space to sign emergency relief in case of injury.

IT IS NOT HAPPENING FOLKS! The Giants do not have the money to spend. Not with Eli and Osi both up for new deals. Please....PLEASE stop thinking it is a possibilty.

I'm not trying to be a dick, and I've held off from saying it, but there's definitely ways for the Giants to sign Anquan Boldin. So whatever you think is hard to understand, it's you that's not understanding it. Do I think the Giants would benefit in the long run in signing Boldin? Yes, of course. Do I think it could hurt other aspects of our team? Yes, of course. Do I think it'd be worth it? Yes of course. Do I think it will happen? No, of course not.

Let me repeat:

I think their only hope....and it borders on tampering....is that they give him the high sign and wait to next year when the cap will probably lifted in its entirety and they can throw a heap of cash at him. On the other hand even with the trust issues, players talk and I am sure that a lot of the premier guys understand the level of professionalism in the Giants front office (e.g. the Shockey and Plax situations); know that the Giants will give a fair shake to a player of talent. I don't think he is a head case up there with either Shockey or Boldin. I think he is a fierce competitor who wants to be respected and appreciated; and would probably settle for less if this was conveyed in a concrete fashion. The Cards from what I have seen have basically told him smashed face and all you can eat our asses because we have Fitzgerald.

LOL. It doesn;t ring true at all. He's put up nearly double our number one WR production from last year...and has done way better than Plaxico ever did the last 3-4 years. And we are talking about from a "#2 WR".

Looking at #s alone isn't fair. I'd fathom to guess the Cards passed a lot more than we did. I'm a big fan of bringing Bolden to NY. Count me as the #1 person calling on the Giants doing whatever it reasonably takes to bring him in

Actually no. Not when you consider that the Giants most proven deep threat is Hixon, and considering the dollars it would take. If such a move were to take place, the top 3 receivers on the Giants would be possession type receivers (Boldin, Nicks, and Smith). So no, two Boldin's would not be better than one if you want to portray a realistic threat of a deep ball to the opposing defensive coordinator.

Looking at #s alone isn't fair. I'd fathom to guess the Cards passed a lot more than we did. I'm a big fan of bringing Bolden to NY. Count me as the #1 person calling on the Giants doing whatever it reasonably takes to bring him in

The player consistently puts up 80+ receptions and 8+ touchdowns a season and has had seasons with over 100 receptions and over 10 TDs...as a "number 2" WR. He's clearly number 1 WR material.

The player consistently puts up 80+ receptions and 8+ touchdowns a season and has had seasons with over 100 receptions and over 10 TDs...as a "number 2" WR. He's clearly number 1 WR material.

I do believe he's a #1.. but I'm trying to afford the guy here.. work with me :)

although I love Nicks and think he will be good I cannot count on him to just yet do the things that Boldin does in terms of getting away from the jams at the line and his ability to run after the catch. Would I take him? Yes probably. What would excite me the most about this is that I would take him and then make Hixon my PR/KR full time long ball threat, where he is not on the field all the time.

It probably does not work and will not happen, but no mater how you cut it you just cannot say that Boldin does not make the Giants better.

I admire the confidence of some people touting our rookie receivers as able to contribute from day one. considering this has never happened in giants history, they must know something that i don't. personally, i'd trade them all for boldin.

although I love Nicks and think he will be good I cannot count on him to just yet do the things that Boldin does in terms of getting away from the jams at the line and his ability to run after the catch. Would I take him? Yes probably. What would excite me the most about this is that I would take him and then make Hixon my PR/KR full time long ball threat, where he is not on the field all the time.

It probably does not work and will not happen, but no mater how you cut it you just cannot say that Boldin does not make the Giants better.

no question that he makes the Giants better. It seems like a very very small window of chance

that it would happen though.

Lube, the salary cap went up to $123 million this month. Are you accounting for that?.

Again, this is not a "maybe it's possible" deal from me. But I think we have more than $5 million.

That's what I thought too but on PFT on May 19 they are showing a little over $5 million. As Money pointed out though there are so many creative ways to play the cap, just like Snyder and the Redskins consistently do, that the Giants could probably do it but more than likely won't.

That's all I'm sayin' :)

This is the best and most convincing argument.

Not to anyone who's watched him play. The guy is amazing, and any team who wouldnt give him 5 mill a year needs to get a new GM.

Not that I think we are bringing him in, cause I know that will not be the case.

Not to anyone who's watched him play. The guy is amazing, and any team who wouldnt give him 5 mill a year needs to get a new GM.

Not that I think we are bringing him in, cause I know that will not be the case.

THIS is the best and most convincing argument. :worshippy: