SportsWrath

2009 NY GIANTS Articles and Video

jerseygiantfan

Giants are contenders, jury out on other 2-0 teams

by Alex Marvez

Updated: September 23, 2009, 3:31 PM EDT

127 comments

Predicting whether the NFL's undefeated teams are legitimate contenders or overrated pretenders is tailor-made for a Schein 9.

Sorry, Adam. For this column, I'm stealing your Schein schtick.

Seven of the league's 2-0 teams sit alone atop their respective division. The other two — Atlanta and New Orleans — share the NFC South lead.

The Falcons, Minnesota, Indianapolis, Baltimore and New York Giants were playoff teams in 2008. A few weeks ago, Denver, San Francisco and the New York Jets seemed more likely to start the season 0-2.

But while a fast start helps, it doesn't guarantee a playoff appearance. Since the NFL's expansion to 32 teams in 2002, roughly 57 percent of the postseason qualifiers began the season at 1-1 or 0-2.

So which current 2-0 squads are for real? Here's my ranking of those that will "Schein" or fade as the season unfolds.

1. New York Giants

Preseason vibe: The defense wasn't a concern with such a deep and talented front four. The big question was whether QB Eli Manning could carry the passing game sans a bona fide No. 1 wide receiver following the offseason release of Plaxico Burress.

What we know now: General manager Jerry Reese's confidence in his young receiving corps has paid early dividends. Steve Smith and Mario Manningham each had 100-yard outings in last Sunday's 33-31 victory at Dallas. 2009 first-round pick Hakeem Nicks also should contribute once he's recovered from a foot injury suffered in an impressive season-opener.

What's going to happen: The defense under first-year coordinator Bill Sheridan will continue to improve as players like CB Aaron Ross and DT Chris Canty get healthy. RB Brandon Jacobs should get on track after averaging a pedestrian 3.4 yards through two games. Already having wins over Washington and Dallas will go a long way toward New York's quest to repeat as NFC East champion.

Whole Article PLUS SHAUN O'HARA VIDEO

Cowboys' Adams fined

Comment Email Print Share

ESPN.com news services

Dallas Cowboys offensive tackle Flozell Adams was fined $12,500 by the NFL on Wednesday for two fouls.

The fine was first reported by ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The first foul happened when Adams stuck out his leg and tripped Giants Pro Bowl defensive end Justin Tuck in the first half of Sunday night's game, causing Tuck to suffer an injury to his left shoulder. It knocked him out of the nationally televised contest.

Adams was penalized for tripping on the play, but that didn't stop Tuck from calling the kick a "bush" move.

"It's something he always does and he gets away with it and he continues to do it," Tuck said.

The second foul happened in the fourth quarter when Adams kicked Giants lineman Osi Umenyiora.

Adams said earlier this week that he didn't think he caused Tuck's injury.

"A shoulder injury?" Adams said. "From a supposed kick? Tell him to stay up. It ain't my fault."

On Wednesday, Tuck got his turn to respond.

"Normally, people go to the Pro Bowl for blocking people, not tripping people. So maybe he should keep his feet on the ground," Tuck said. "We're not going to get into a war of words here, we are going to let it be what it is, and I'll see Flozell when we play them again."

The rematch is Dec. 6 at Giants Stadium.

Adams has been fined two straight games. He was fined $5,000 for an unnecessary roughness penalty against Tampa Bay in the opener, which Adams said he wants to appeal.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Giants' safety Phillips to miss rest of season

Associated Press

add this RSS email print

Updated: September 24, 2009, 11:48 PM EDT

54 comments

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Safety Kenny Phillips' season with the New York Giants ended just days after the best game of his career.

Phillips, who had two interceptions in Sunday night's win over Dallas, was placed on injured reserve by the Giants (2-0) on Thursday because of an unhealthy left knee. The team also announced it was awarded safety Aaron Rouse off waivers from Green Bay.

"I really feel for Kenny because he had worked so hard during the offseason to prepare himself for the '09 season," general manager Jerry Reese said. "He had a great camp and was just beginning to come into his own and showed flashes of being one of the premier safeties in the NFL. We expect him to recover from this setback and come back stronger than ever. This league is about making adjustments and we will do that."

Phillips had been bothered by the knee since training camp. An MRI on Wednesday revealed that the patella femoral arthritis in his knee has worsened. A final determination has not yet been made on how to treat the condition.

Phillips was stunned that he would have to miss the rest of the season.

"It never crossed my mind, ever," Phillips said. "I knew the situation. I just felt I could push it through the season. So to get this news is a real shock."

Phillips was leading the team in interceptions (2) and tackles (16) and was tied for the lead in passes defended (2).

"The most important thing for us right now is to realize it's an emotional time for Kenny Phillips," said coach Tom Coughlin, noting that Phillips looked like he had lost his best friend after getting the news. "He had an excellent training camp. He played the deep ball, really, unlike anybody we've had around here."

With Phillips out, C.C. Brown will start Sunday at Tampa Bay.

The 31st overall selection in the 2008 draft, Phillips played in every game and had three starts as a rookie. He finished with 66 tackles (43 solo), seven passes defended and an interception.

With the loss of James Butler to free agency, he took over the starting job next to Michael Johnson.

"That is probably the toughest part. I worked hard this offseason and I felt like this was going to be a big year not only for me, but for the Giants," Phillips said. "I started the season off pretty well with a few tackles, interceptions and for it to just get snatched away from me like this is real tough."

Phillips, who missed two of the Giants' four preseason game, does not know when he hurt his knee.

"Everybody gets nicks and bruises in training camp, so that's just what I thought it was," he said. "Swelling occurred, but most people get swelling. As long as it goes down, it's not a big deal.

Phillips is the third Giants player to go on injured reserve. Rookie running back Andre Brown ruptured his Achilles' tendon in training camp. Defensive tackle Jay Alford suffered a knee injury in a preseason game in Chicago.

Rouse, 6-4 and 227 pounds, had nine tackles in Green Bay's 31-24 loss to Cincinnati last week. He had three solo tackles in the season-opening victory over Chicago.

A third-year pro, he has played in 27 games with 11 starts. He has 113 tackles (80 solo), seven passes defended and four interceptions, including a pick of Peyton Manning that he returned 99 yards for a touchdown last Oct. 19. It was the longest interception return in Lambeau Field history.

Injuries in the secondary have become a concern for the Giants. Cornerbacks Aaron Ross and Kevin Dockery missed the opening two games with hamstring injuries and don't appear ready to play this weekend.

Schein 9: Don't rule out Jets-Giants Super Bowl

by Adam Schein

add this RSS email print

Updated: September 29, 2009, 6:16 PM EDT

123 comments

Josh McDaniels is 3-0.

Brett Favre still has magical powers.

And I like my crow as a side dish, thank you very much.

We attack another amazing week in the NFL while going big picture for our weekly Tuesday SCHEINERS in our SCHEIN 9.

1. Foaming at the mouth

There was a point last year where New Yorkers believed we were truly on a collision course for an all-New York Super Bowl. Then Plax carried a gun, Eric Mangini turned his players as tight as prisoners by walking around Jets headquarters like he was packing one, Brett Favre's pistol turned into a sprinkler and the dreams were dashed much to the dismay of New York City and the delight of football fans nationwide.

Well, welcome to 2009, where New Yorkers can gloat and the dream is complete reality.

The Giants and Jets are 6-0 combined, two of the elite teams in the NFL and destined for the postseason and success in the playoffs.

Look, this isn't hyperbole before the calendar even flips to October. I told you in the preseason that the Jets would make the wild card and would have a top-five defense. You laughed. Turned out, five was too wide of a number.

I picked the Giants to make the NFC title game. I might have actually undersold them. The Giants just pitched a shutout in Tampa and have been great on defense despite a rash of injuries. And that's what wins. Both the Giants and Jets are New York-tough on defense. Plus, they both have great coaching, cohesive offensive lines and talented running backs. And while the Giants have a Super Bowl-winning quarterback, the Jets have a youngster with all the ingredients to become one.

And here's the beauty — or pain if you truly hate New York: Both teams have already dealt with adversity and punched it squarely in the face.

The Jets blow a 14-0 lead at home to the well-coached, talented and desperate Tennessee Titans. "Sanchise" doesn't complete a pass in the second quarter. And yet, New York answers in a game that historically the Jets, of 'same old Jets' fame, would normally lose.

The anatomy of the comeback is why Rex Ryan's team is only getting better. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer stayed aggressive. In the third quarter, Mark Sanchez hit Jerricho Cotchery twice on perfect throws, the second dart for the go-ahead score after a Tennessee special-teams turnover. Sanchez then tossed a gorgeous bomb to set up a field goal and put the Jets up by a touchdown. Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine were as aggressive on defense, as usual. They kept coming at Kerry Collins late in the game. Star in the making David Harris had a key sack and pick in the fourth quarter.

Jets fans have vivid memories of Mangini slipping into the prevent defense as Oakland, Denver, San Francisco and Seattle completed upset specials. The Jets under Herm Edwards, Rich Kotite and Joe Walton lose these types of games. Those nightmares are a thing of the past.

The Jets have a great, aggressive, hard-hitting team under Rex Ryan, who has totally changed the culture in New York. And if you don't believe me, ask Bart Scott. He'll be the first to tell you. This is no fluke. Now, the Jets will lose a game this year, probably six including this week in New Orleans. The Patriots still remain the team to beat in the division. They are, after all, the Patriots and still have the Jets in New England. But under Ryan, the Jets are not a flash in the pan. Defense makes them relevant, dominant and playoff-bound in Year 1 of the Ryan program.

While the Jets get the attention for the new attitude and most especially for the win against New England two weeks ago — and the back pages of the New York Post and New York Daily News toast the Yankees' beautiful sweep of the Red Sox to clinch the AL East — there isn't a happier human than Tom Coughlin.

His 3-0 outfit flies under the radar even in Coughlin's town. And that's just how the Giants want it.

Up-and-coming star safety Kenny Phillips gets placed on IR. Justin Tuck is banged up. So is big-ticket free agent Chris Canty. Aaron Ross and Domenik Hixon are hurt. The Giants couldn't score in the red zone in the first two weeks and couldn't run in Dallas.

So what do Eli Manning and company do? They humiliate the Bucs in Week 3 with dominant efforts in the passing attack, run game and offensive line. And I'm pretty sure Byron Leftwich will have nightmares about the Giants defense. Manning was flawless and Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw were the ultimate blend of power and speed, gashing the Bucs' hapless defense.

The Giants are 3-0 and will be 5-0 with upcoming games against the hapless Chiefs and Raiders. Plus, they still have the Cowboys and Eagles in New York.

The win in Dallas, which spoiled Jerry Jones' homecoming, showed the championship heart of this team.

Manning has been great this season sans Burress and Amani Toomer. It starts with his offseason work with Steve Smith and Mario Manningham. I thought Smith would catch 80 balls this year. It will be 90. And Manning has helped Manningham use his raw talent. And stop the presses! There was even a touchdown pass to (gulp) Sinorice Moss this weekend.

Coughlin doesn't get enough credit for being a great coach who keeps his team focused each week.

Prediction: The Jets make it to at least the divisional round of the playoffs with their defense. The Giants have the early look of a Super Bowl participant.

Remember all that talk last year about the league busting up championship Sunday if the Meadowlands would host both games? Don't rule it out in 2010. And you are just going to have to deal with it.

Reality Check: Giants

October 1, 2009 12:00 PM

Other 3-0 teams: Giants | Vikings | Saints | Jets | Ravens | Colts | Broncos

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Are the Giants for real? The NFL Blog Network breaks down each of the seven teams that started the season 3-0.

What they've accomplished: The Giants already have beaten two of their division rivals -- the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins -- and they manhandled the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday. More important, they've won all three games without some important players. Giants coach Tom Coughlin is one of the best in the league at dealing with adversity and the Giants have had plenty. Losing safety Kenny Phillips for the year with a knee injury is a tough setback and the Giants have been playing without cornerbacks Aaron Ross and Kevin Dockery. The win over the Cowboys was certainly the most impressive. There was a ton of emotion inside Cowboys Stadium that night, but the Giants kept their poise. I think most of us believe the Giants are "for real."

What's ahead: The Giants have had a long injury list each week and now we can add running back Ahmad Bradshaw. I think there are a couple injuries along the offensive line -- tackle Kareem McKenzie and guard Rich Seubert -- that could linger. The Giants have some good depth at most positions, so they'll have to be really smart about managing all the injuries. In terms of schedule, the Giants should be fine against the Kansas City Chiefs (0-3) and Oakland Raiders (1-2) the next two weeks. Things will get interesting when they travel to New Orleans to play the Saints (3-0) on Oct. 18. But there's a three-week stretch in December that should help tell the story. The Giants will play division opponents in consecutive weeks. I think they'll be sitting alone in first place after that stretch. And honestly, they'll probably have a little cushion heading into those games.

Realistic outcome: Even some of the best teams are going to have a hiccup along the way. Last year's Giants team faltered against the Cleveland Browns, but they bounced back and made a good run leading up to Plaxico Burress' evening in the Latin Quarter. I think it's very realistic to think this team could go 13-3 -- and 14-2 would not shock me. Circle the Nov. 1 game at Philly. If the Giants win that one, they should be in the driver's seat for the division title. I just don't see that many stumbling blocks -- especially for a team that loves playing on the road.

Manning cleared to play with pain

Comment Email Print Share

ESPN.com news services

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Eli Manning is going to have to play in pain if he wants to continue as the New York Giants quarterback.

Manning was diagnosed with inflamed tissue in his right foot late Monday following an MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan. It's a problem that usually develops over time and lingers.

ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen first reported the diagnosis.

Team physician Russell Warren told Manning he could play this weekend against the Oakland Raiders if he could tolerate the pain.

"It's not as serious an injury as [the doctor] has seen before, where it's the whole foot that's hurting," Manning said in an interview on ESPN Radio in New York. "It's just kind of a portion of it."

The Giants (4-0) have listed Manning as day to day with the plantar fasciitis, which has caused soreness and swelling in the heel and arch area on the bottom of his foot.

Dr. Steven Weinfeld, chief of foot and ankle surgery from Mount Sinai's Department of Orthopaedics in New York City, said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press that the injury could be treated by taping the foot, stretching, cushioning the area and using ibuprofen or any anti-inflammatory medicine. He said cortisone injections also can help.

The past 24 hours have been a scary time for Giants faithful, knowing an injury could suddenly elevate veteran David Carr to the starting job this weekend against Oakland, and a serious injury could crush hopes of another championship run.

Manning, who has thrown for 1,039 yards, eight touchdowns and two interceptions this season, was hurt early in the fourth quarter in a non-contact injury in New York's 27-16 win over the Chiefs in Kansas City.

The MVP of the Super Bowl in February 2008 made a fake on play-action and went back to throw. As he planted his right foot, he suddenly hopped as if he had stepped in a divot or something popped. He threw an incomplete pass to Steve Smith seconds later.

The play reminded many of the season-ending Achilles tendon injury former Jets quarterback Vinny Testaverde suffered at the start of the 1999 season.

"Of the things it could have been, it's one of the better ones," Weinfeld said of the diagnosis.

While the words were comforting, so was the sight of Manning standing in front of his locker earlier in the afternoon with neither a boot, a crutch or much evidence of heavy tape on his right foot.

The only obvious sign of an injury was a slight limp when he walked away.

"Yeah, that's all positive stuff," Manning said. "I think it's just time and ice and some treatment here and at home, kind of nonstop everything for the next couple of days. My goal is by Wednesday to be practicing and get out there and not being restricted."

Manning admittedly was concerned about his Achilles tendon briefly after his incomplete pass to Smith. He threw a touchdown pass to rookie Hakeem Nicks on the next play and then spent the rest of the game on the bench.

"I knew what it was," Manning said. "I knew it was the bottom of my foot, my heel area. I could walk around a little bit. It was good that we got a touchdown on that play, kind of gave ourselves a pretty good lead at the time."

Manning, who has started 82 consecutive games, still had some swelling and soreness Monday morning. He got ice and stimulation treatment and went through his strength program before attending meetings and talking to the media.

"It doesn't feel any worse today than it did yesterday, which is a good sign," Manning said. "Hopefully, it just gets better every day."

Manning has played through pain. He injured the A-C joint in his right shoulder in a game against Dallas early in 2007 and came back the following weekend to play against Green Bay.

"The last time, with the shoulder, [the doctor] said I'd be out a month and I played the next week," Manning said, noting Warren told him this time it's just a matter of how fast can he heal.

Coughlin said Manning is one of those players who wants to be out there with his teammates.

"I am not worried about him," guard Rich Seubert said. "A couple of years ago, he had the shoulder or whatever it was and he was fine and didn't miss anything. Then I let [browns nose tackle] Shaun Rogers fall on him last year. He's a tough kid. I know on Sunday he will be out there playing with us."

Carr, the No. 1 pick overall by Houston in the 2002 draft and a veteran of 79 NFL starts, is ready just in case.

"I have done this before, it's not my first rodeo," Carr said. "I have a great team around me, that's the biggest thing. I think we have the best offensive line in football and throwing to some young receivers that are really excited to play, exciting to watch, exciting to throw to. I got a chance to throw to them a little bit in preseason and every day in practice, so it should be exciting. We have a good football team. I just have to go in and do my job."

Giants linebackers Michael Boley and Bryan Kehl have surgery

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, October 7th 2009, 4:00 AM

Linebackers Michael Boley and Bryan Kehl were unsung heroes of the Giants' win in Kansas City on Sunday.

Surgery is their reward.

Boley, who was a dominant pass-rushing force in the Giants' 27-16 win over the Chiefs, had arthroscopic surgery to repair a partially torn meniscus in his right knee Tuesday. And a few hours later, Kehl, who recovered the Chiefs' fumble on the opening kickoff and grabbed their surprise onside kickoff to start the second half, underwent an operation to fix his fractured left index finger.

Boley, the Giants' starting weak-side linebacker, is expected to be out a month. And Kehl, the backup on the weak side and a special teams star, is listed as "week to week" but seems unlikely to play Sunday against the Oakland Raiders.

The loss of Boley was particularly discouraging, especially since it's his second surgery in four months. The 27-year-old also missed training camp after an operation to repair a torn hip labrum back in June.

But, after serving a suspension for the opener for an old violation of the NFL's personal conduct policy, Boley finally showed on Sunday why the Giants rushed to give him a five-year, $25 million deal when free agency started in February. He recorded a sack and four tackles, batted one pass at the line of scrimmage and broke up another one in the end zone with the back of his helmet.

On the flight home, however, Boley's right knee stiffened up, according to Tom Coughlin. Boley was seen on crutches in the Giants' practice facility on Monday, before tests revealed the tear. Chase Blackburn is expected to start for Boley against the Raiders, just like he did on opening day.

This double hit is just the latest blow to the NFL's No.1 defense. The Giants have already lost safety Kenny Phillips (knee) for the season, cornerback Aaron Ross (hamstring) hasn't played a game, defensive tackle Chris Canty (calf) and cornerback Kevin Dockery (hamstring) have each played only once and defensive end Justin Tuck is playing with a torn labrum in his left shoulder.

Meanwhile, the Giants are still crossing their fingers that quarterback Eli Manning will be able to play through the pain of a plantar fascia injury in his right foot. He may attempt to practice with the team today.

UNLISTED: The NFL said the Giants did not violate league rules by not putting Manning on the injury report during the first three weeks even though they admitted on Monday that he had been suffering from plantar fasciitis. "The injury report does not require the listing of every sore or irritated body part unless it is severe enough to affect the player's ability to participate in practice or games," league spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail. ... The Giants worked out two kickers Tuesday - Matt Stover and ex-Giant Matt Bryant -

Eli back from heel injury, likely to start vs. Raiders

Associated Press

add this RSS email print

Updated: October 9, 2009, 3:11 PM EDT

40 comments

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning returned to practice Friday and showed no ill effects of the injured right heel that kept him out the previous two days.

Yet the team is still being cautious about his status for Sunday's game against the Oakland Raiders.

Manning is listed as questionable and coach Tom Coughlin said it will more than likely be a game-time decision whether he will play.

"If the medical people think he can play, then he will play," Coughlin said. "We'll evaluate him every day. I know he wants to play in the worst way, but we're not going to go against the medical people. We're not going to pencil him in and say he's playing."

Coughlin said that he was "encouraged" by the way Manning looked at practice.

"He did fine," Coughlin said. "You want someone who can make the exchanges on handoffs and drop back to plant and throw. He did all of that. He'll get some treatment, both here and at home and we'll see how he is (Saturday) when he comes in. If he makes some progress, then I see no reason as to why he won't play."

At the start of Friday's practice, Manning did the regular calisthenics with the team and at one point was leading sprints, causing one coach to yell, "That a way, Eli."

Although Manning seemed to run a little gingerly, he did the regular stretching and squatting with no problem.

When practice began, reserve David Carr took the first five snaps with the starting unit, but was quickly replaced by Manning, giving all indications Manning would be ready to start Sunday. Manning has made 82 consecutive starts.

Manning has been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in his right heel.

He was not available to the media after practice. Team officials said he was receiving medical treatment.

Carr said he watched closely and believes that Manning will be ready Sunday.

"I think he looked fine," Carr said . "He looked good. We'll see how it goes on Sunday. I have to be ready in case he doesn't feel great. It was good to see him out there. He wasn't favoring it and that was a good sign. I watched his dropback to see if he could push off it. I wanted to see if he could do it and he looked fine. I don't want to not be prepared in case I have to go, but I think Eli will go."

New York Giants QB Eli Manning participates in walkthrough, signs point to Sunday start

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, October 10th 2009, 11:52 AM

Eli Manning injures his foot in last Sunday's victory over the Chiefs, but the Giants QB looks on target to make his 83rd consecutive start on Sunday afternoon against the Raiders.

Squire/Getty

Eli Manning woke up Saturday morning feeling good enough that he participated in the Giants' regular Saturday morning walkthrough at Giants Stadium - yet another sign that he will be good to go against the Raiders Sunday afternoon.

Manning, of course, practiced for the first time this week on Friday, taking about half the snaps with the first-team offense during the Giants' practice. If he had a setback overnight, the Giants probably wouldn't have allowed him to take the field Saturday morning. But, when Tom Coughlin addressed reporters on Friday, he said he would let Manning participate if he had "made some progress overnight."

"When he comes in in the morning we will see where he is," Coughlin said on Friday. "And if he is where I think he will be – made some progress overnight – he will come out and go through the jog through. I see no reason why he wouldn't do that if he can."

So the signs continue to be positive that Manning will make his 83rd consecutive start (including playoffs). However, the big clue will still come at 4 p.m. Saturday. That's the deadline for the Giants to promote rookie quarterback Rhett Bomar off the practice squad. If they don't, that means they are preparing to go into the game with only two quarterbacks - Manning and David Carr - on the 53-man active roster.

And obviously they wouldn't go into the game with just two if they were worried that Manning wouldn't be healthy enough to play.

With New Orleans Saints on tap Sunday, New York Giants eager to face tougher schedule

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, October 13th 2009, 4:00 AM

The Giants easily ran through the early part of their schedule, stomping on every opponent the NFL put in their way. They did what good teams are supposed to do.

Now they get to find out how good they really are.

And the Giants can't wait, because they know they'll take a huge step up in class this week as they get ready for their showdown with the undefeated Saints in New Orleans. Giants (5-0) vs. Saints (4-0) on Sunday is the early "Game of the Year" in the NFC. It's certainly more of a challenge than the last three weeks, when the Giants steamrolled the Raiders (1-4), Chiefs (0-5) and Bucs (0-5).

"It is going to be a real big test for us," said linebacker Antonio Pierce. "Obviously we took care of business with the first five games. (This week) it's going to be one of obviously our biggest challenges so far."

That is the understatement of the year. Their 44-7 win over the woeful Oakland Raiders on Sunday was just the latest in a three-game romp over teams with a combined 1-14 record. To the Giants' credit, they outscored those creampuffs 95-23 and out-gained them 1,309 yards to 403.

But look who's coming next: The Giants - who boast the NFL's No. 1 defense thanks, at least in part, to a string of awful offenses - don't face another team that currently has a losing record until Dec. 21 (at Washington, 2-3). The combined record of their final 11 opponents this season is 33-15, which gives those teams fewer losses than the Giants' first six opponents (6-19). And the Giants still have to face three of the NFL's other four unbeaten teams, all on the road (at 4-0 New Orleans, at 5-0 Denver, at 5-0 Minnesota).

The biggest test, though, comes first against a team that leads the NFL with 144 points despite playing only four games so far. Led by quarterback Drew Brees (1,031 yards, nine touchdowns) and tight end Jeremy Shockey (18 catches, 162 yards, two touchdowns) the Saints are ranked third in total offense and seventh in defense and have outscored their opponents in the fourth quarter 45-2.

"We know they are very talented," said quarterback Eli Manning, a New Orleans product who'll be playing his first-ever game in the Superdome. "(But) we know they are very talented. Their offense is very explosive. They score a lot of points."

Heel feeling 'good,' Eli set for full speed

Eli Manning said his right heel felt "good" when he woke up yesterday morning. "I'm able to move around and I didn't have a setback by any means," he said. The Giants are expecting him to be able to practice all week. ... TE Kevin Boss (ankle) will be reevaluated today before the Giants determine his status for this week. ... LB Bryan Kehl (finger) is expected to return to practice, but CB Aaron Ross (hamstring) and DT Chris Canty (calf) remain out. ... S C.C. Brown is OK, according to Tom Coughlin, after hurting his shoulder on Sunday.

Giants' Pierce: Sorry Raiders 'need some guidance'

by Alex Marvez

add this RSS email print

Updated: October 13, 2009, 7:32 PM EDT

151 comments

Oakland has been called an NFL laughingstock by both the media and Raider haters. Now the criticism is coming from players around the league.

New York Giants middle linebacker Antonio Pierce, speaking during a Sirius NFL Radio interview conducted Tuesday by myself and retired NFL head coach Marty Schottenheimer, had some harsh words for the Oakland franchise after his team's 44-7 home rout last Sunday. Pierce said the Raiders game felt more like a "scrimmage" than regular-season contest. And while the topic wasn't discussed openly, Pierce said a confident Giants roster was well aware that ailing quarterback Eli Manning (heel) could get a break the quicker New York took a commanding lead. Manning was already on the bench with the Giants ahead at halftime, 31-7.

I asked Pierce whether the Raiders (1-4) were really as bad as they seem. His response:

"I do not like knocking teams. But right now, they're struggling. We're playing that game the other day and, honestly, it felt like a scrimmage, like a practice. It felt like we were going against our offense (in a controlled setting) as far as the tempo.

"There was no vibe of trying or effort from the Raiders at all from a defensive standpoint against their offense. We're getting three-and-outs. You don't hear nobody (saying), 'Hey, let's go!' trying to pick the guys up, rallying them, getting guys fired up. There was nothing. It was quiet. A guy gets sacked or somebody gets beat, they just get up. It's not like there's yelling or no kind of (emotion) about the way they were playing.

"It was shocking to be out there in that game and get that kind of feeling."

Such harsh words aren't fun for Pierce to use. Pierce, who was credited with four tackles in Sunday's game, admitted during the show that the Raiders were his favorite team while growing up in the Los Angeles area.

"It's sad because I grew up a Raiders fan," said Pierce, who was 16 years old when the Raiders moved back from Los Angeles to Oakland in 1995. "That organization right now, they need some guidance. They need somebody to pick them up."

Pierce's comments are the latest critique of a franchise seemingly destined for an NFL-record seventh consecutive season with at least 11 losses. Since a Week 2 victory over Kansas City (0-5), Oakland has fallen apart with three consecutive lopsided losses. One major reason is shoddy play from quarterback JaMarcus Russell. He ranks 35th in NFL quarterback rating with four interceptions, just one touchdown pass (in the season-opener, no less) and 42.1 completion percentage.

The news isn't any better off the field. First-year Raiders head coach Tom Cable is under police investigation for an alleged assault on Oakland assistant coach Randy Hanson in August. If he's eventually found guilty, Cable could become the first head coach under suspension since NFL commissioner Roger Goodell took office in 2006.

Oakland hosts Philadelphia (3-1) on Sunday. The Giants (5-0) travel to New Orleans for a big-time NFC matchup with New Orleans (4-0)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10214020/Giants%27-Pierce:-Sorry-Raiders-%27need-some-guidance%27

Slowed Brandon Jacobs moans as Ahmad Bradshaw runs wild for New York Giants

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, October 14th 2009, 4:00 AM

Brandon Jacobs appears to be having a crisis of confidence. So it's a good thing for the Giants that their No.1 running back is still doing OK.

While Jacobs has spent much of the first five weeks trying to figure out what's wrong, Ahmad Bradshaw has been showing everyone what's right with the Giants' still-powerful, fourth-ranked rushing attack. He's run so well, that even teammate Antonio Pierce said, "It looks like he's one of the best backs in the National Football League."

At the very least, Bradshaw's average of 6.5 yards per carry has many thinking he's the best running back on his team.

"I was telling the guys on the sideline that I would hate to play against him," Pierce said. "He is a guy that brings power, he has speed, he's got agility. He's got everything I could want out of back. Ahmad is turning into one of the more complete backs in the National Football League."

The latest dazzling performance by Bradshaw, who leads the Giants with 375 yards on 58 carries (compared to 355 yards on 100 carries for Jacobs) came Sunday in a 44-7 rout of the Raiders. Bradshaw, despite being unable to practice most of the week because of a boot on his sprained right ankle, rushed for 110 yards and two touchdowns on 11 carries. He also caught a short screen pass and turned it into a 54-yard play.

And he did that while Jacobs continued to show a startling lack of power, gaining 67 yards on 21carries. Even he admitted, in an interview with ESPN Radio on Monday, that "frustration is upon me" because of a 3.5 yards per carry average that is far below the 5.0 he averaged in each of the last two years.

The problem has gotten so bad for Jacobs, who signed a four-year, $25 million contract extension in February, that he admitted the comparisons to Bradshaw are beginning to wear on him.

"He can bounce around in those little creases and cracks and make a lot of big plays," Jacobs said. "Do I have the ability to do that? Yes. (But) if I try to make plays like that, because I'm 265pounds I'm not supposed to be doing that. 'Get up there. Hit into somebody.' That's what people want to see me do. If I don't do it, I get criticized. If I do it, I get criticized. I can't win.

"Right now my stats aren't very good and people want to know why. That's why," Jacobs added. "I have the ability to make plays with my feet, but when I try to, it's the worst thing. I'm scum of the earth when I do that."

While Jacobs is trying to figure out what he's supposed to be, Bradshaw is busy showing what he can be. Heading into the Giants' showdown in New Orleans on Sunday, he's still their No.2 back. He's also yet to carry more than 14 times in a game this season or more than 17 times in a game in his three-year career.

But he's making a case for more.

"We'll see how that goes," Tom Coughlin said. "We do have issues since he practices basically once a week. But they are trying to do a little bit more than that. We feel like there is a chance to give him some more snaps, but we'll see just how that distribution go

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2009/10/14/2009-10-14_brandon_jacobs.html#ixzz0TuHbjqGn

Steady Giants keeping things simple

Minus the glitz and several key players, Giants are rolling at 5-0

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- For those few remaining contrarians who somehow question the Super Bowl potential of the New York Giants, here is a reminder.

In last Sunday's 44-7 dismantling of the woeful Oakland Raiders to remain undefeated after five outings, the resourceful Giants were at less than full strength. As NFC East blogger Matt Mosley pointed out so well during the middle of last week, the Giants have remained atop what generally is regarded as the NFL's most competitive division with something less than a total complement of ambulatory players.

Against the Raiders, the Giants were without at least five projected starters, including top cornerback Aaron Ross, who has yet to play a snap this season because of his hamstring injury. Starting free safety Kenny Phillips is lost for the season to a knee injury. Key nickel cornerback Kevin Dockery (hamstring) has played only one game. Tight end Kevin Boss and linebacker Michael Boley, both starters, are nicked up. Defensive tackle Chris Canty, the team's most notable veteran free-agent offseason acquisition, has been limited by injury to one game and no starts.

The passing game, minus proven veterans Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer, features two wide receivers in Mario Manningham and Steve Smith (the NFL leader in catches) who combined for four regular-season starts before this season. In the running game, New York is getting more production early in the campaign from backup tailback Ahmad Bradshaw than starter Brandon Jacobs. And quarterback Eli Manning produced a perfect passer rating of 158.3 in Week 5 despite playing less than two quarters after only one day of practice last week due to plantar fasciitis in his right heel.

[+] EnlargeEli Manning

AP Photo/Charlie RiedelEli Manning is off to a strong start. So are many of the Giants' lesser-known players.

OK, it was only the Raiders, a ragtag bunch who should be an embarrassment to Hall of Fame owner Al Davis. And the Giants probably could have won the mismatch convincingly if they had replaced Manning in the second quarter with David Spade instead of former No. 1 pick David Carr. But give New York and coach Tom Coughlin credit for this: In a game through which they could have sleepwalked, they never took their foot off the throttle.

This is a team, one that heads into this weekend's big NFC matchup against the impressive Saints in New Orleans, that pretty much plays at one speed and is essentially oblivious to the pedigree of the opponent on the other sideline.

"We're a team that goes way beyond the 22 [starting] players," said Pro Bowl defensive end Justin Tuck, who registered a sack, forced fumble and recovery against Oakland. "And we don't look past anybody. I know every guy in the league gives you the old 'one game at a time' deal, but we really do play just the team in front of us on a weekly basis. We don't lose sight of the big prize."

That unwavering fixation aside, some league evaluators seem to lose focus when it comes to the excellence of this Giants team, which is 5-0 for the first time since 1990, when Bill Parcells led the franchise to a 10-0 start and a Super Bowl XXV victory. Perhaps that's because pragmatism and a lack of glitz aren't always appreciated in the NFL as qualities a Super Bowl contender should possess. But only two seasons removed from their Super Bowl XLII upset over New England, and less than three years from when Coughlin was forced to deal with some mutineers in his locker room, the Giants are a very stable team.

They are a club that in large part mirrors the firm image of its coach but won't precipitate many surprises should it claim a Super Bowl XLIV victory.

"I would think we're a pretty efficient team," assessed center Shaun O'Hara, the unofficial leader of one of the NFL's premier offensive lines. "We are very economical in what we do. We might not always be the flashiest [team] around, but we don't have a lot of ups and downs. We just kind of play our game and let things take care of themselves."

In a league where the overall quality is diluted by franchises such as Oakland, and where the fates of some clubs rely on the performance of their most conspicuous players, stability and steadfastness are critical attributes. The Giants have plenty of both. It doesn't hurt that the Mara family name has been on the letterhead since the franchise's inception, or that Coughlin is one of only eight NFL head coaches who had five full seasons or more of continued employment with the same franchise entering this season. The stability of the franchise has engendered an even-keeled culture that doesn't require a roster full of big names to succeed.

Clearly, there has been some change, as is typical in the league. But the Giants have made usually sage free-agency acquisitions and have undergone some addition by subtraction (as was the case with Burress). Also, general manager Jerry Reese has done a perfect job of drafting well and augmenting the solid player inventory compiled by his predecessor, Ernie Accorsi.

Only a healthy cab ride removed from Broadway's bright lights, the Giants franchise ironically has flourished away from the spotlight's glare. That's a reflection of Coughlin, a coach whose ability is often underestimated by outsiders, but who inexorably has built a winning mindset.

Beyond Manning, who owns arguably what is currently the most famous surname in the league, most casual fans have trouble identifying New York's top players. Then again, most Giants fans are anything but casual, and New York's roster is an impressive amalgamation of work-ethic players more concerned with collective results than with individual credit.

"When you play for each other, the last thing you want to do is let down the guy next to you," middle linebacker Antonio Pierce said. "We're more achievers than overachievers. But the thing is, you really don't want to disappoint any of your teammates."

So far, the Giants haven't.

LINK AND VIDEO

If Eli Manning leads New York Giants past New Orleans Saints, Big Blue could be on Super road

Gary Myers

Thursday, October 15th 2009, 4:00 AM

Eli Manning is not only making a run at being the most valuable Manning in the NFL this season, but he also might be on his way to being voted the MVP of the league.

Even though he owns a Super Bowl MVP trophy and in the summer became the highest-paid player in NFL history, Manning was still among the most ridiculed big-time players. That is changing as the Giants have started 5-0 for the first time since 1990 and he is playing the best football of his career other than when he got hot in time for the magical Super Bowl run two years ago.

His older brother Peyton also owns a Super Bowl MVP and the Colts are also 5-0, but the Giants are a better team than Indianapolis, and by the end of the season, Eli could win the MVP trophy that his brother has already won three times. At the very least, he's in the conversation now.

How important would winning the MVP be to him? "I'm not concerned about that," Manning said Wednesday. "I'm concerned about winning games and playing well for the team."

The top four MVP candidates through the first month of the season are also ranked one through four in the quarterback ratings: P. Manning is first at 114.1, followed by E. Manning at 111.7, then Drew Brees (108.4) and Brett Favre (104.1). All of their teams are undefeated.

So, while the feel-good story of the week is Manning going back to his hometown of New Orleans to play for the first time at the Superdome against the Saints, the team he loved as a kid and the team his dad starred for, and the story of intrigue is which Giant sticks his foot in the mouth of their former loudmouth tight end Jeremy Shockey, the story that has legs is that Manning has become one of the best players in the league.

He has 10 touchdowns and only two interceptions, and his quarterback rating has been over 100 in the last four games. Last week against the Raiders he pitched a perfect game with a 158.3 rating, although he didn't play a snap after the middle of the second quarter as Tom Coughlin didn't want to take any more chances with Manning's plantar fascia injury. The Giants were up 28-0 when Manning took a seat.

A few weeks ago, it looked like nobody could keep pace with Brees and the Saints offense as they scored 93 points in the first two games, including 48 against the Eagles. Brees had nine TD passes the first two weeks. But he didn't throw one in a 27-7 victory over the Bills, and the Jets held him without a TD pass, too, as New Orleans' offense managed only 10 points. But the defense scored two TDs.

If Manning outplays Brees, and the Giants win this game in what is going to be a loud, hostile environment, then this could be an indication it's going to be a special season for the Giants as long as none of their players shoots himself in the thigh.

Manning has accepted the responsibility that comes with his $106.9 million contract. He has transitioned from established receivers Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer to a young group with potential stars in Steve Smith and Mario Manningham. The goal Sunday for Manning will be to steer clear of Saints safety Darren Sharper, who has owned him. In two games against Manning at Giants Stadium when Sharper played for the Vikings, he picked him off four times and returned two for TDs, including a 92-yarder.

He will try to quiet the crowd that he was a part of as a kid. He was active with his brother bringing supplies to Baton Rouge after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. He hasn't lived in New Orleans for about 10 years, but still loves the place.

Now he comes back home off to a terrific start to play against perhaps the best team in Saints history. "There is only one MVP he'd like to be and that's Super Bowl MVP again," center Shaun O'Hara said. "I think he's doing everything extremely well this season. He's playing lights out."

While it is too early to start thinking about a Manning vs. Manning Super Bowl, it could happen if big and little brother keep playing this way.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2009/10/15/2009-10-15_myers_eli.html#ixzz0U050pJGf

Final Word: NFC East

October 16, 2009 4:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Five nuggets of knowledge about Week 6:

A key for the Giants will be whether Osi Umenyiora and the Giants' defense can get pressure on Drew Brees.

The Giants need to take the crowd out of the game early. The Giants are prepared to use a silent count in the Superdome, but I think the crowd noise could definitely be a factor. Giants quarterback Eli Manning approached training camp with a strong desire to improve his accuracy with the deep ball. Even with all his success, the Giants couldn't really be considered a big-play offense. But that's changed this season. Look for offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride to send an early message with a deep ball to Hakeem Nicks. The Giants feel like they can use Saints safety Darren Sharper's aggressiveness against him. Watch for the double move from Nicks at some point in the first half -- and then watch him celebrate a 55-yard touchdown. That's the best way to silence what should be a pretty jacked-up audience.

The Giants have to make Drew Brees uncomfortable. The Saints lost their starting left tackle, Jammal Brown, for the season -- and it hasn't really slowed them down. The Giants have to take advantage of Brown's absence in applying pressure on Brees. But they also have to be under control. I think we'll see Sean Payton try to neutralize the Giants' pass-rush with a variety of short passes to Reggie Bush and his other running backs. This is not a team you can be overly aggressive against -- or you'll give up a 70-yard touchdown. I think Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora desperately want to get Brees moving around in the pocket. If he's forced to throw it on the run, there's a chance he'll make some mistakes. This is a huge game for Brees in terms of proving that he can play well in a big game. This definitely has a big-game feel to it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/5038/final-word-nfc-east

Countdown: Running game could be key for Giants

by John Czarnecki

add this RSS email print

Updated: October 18, 2009, 3:59 AM EDT

5 comments

N.Y. Giants at New Orleans, 1 ET

NFL on FOX preview

ALTTEXT The Giants' stifling defense meets the Saints' explosive offense. Troy Aikman preview.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR: This is the NFL's first showdown between two of five remaining unbeaten teams, and the Saints are coming off a bye, meaning coach Sean Payton, who was the Giants' play-caller in 2000-02, probably has concocted something special for this game. New York has a great defense and it has 11 sacks in the past two games, but ever since Drew Brees became a Saint, he has been the league's toughest quarterback to sack (once every 40 attempts), and the other plus is he has a solid running game.

The Giants must shut down Pierre Thomas and force Brees to the air, where their seconday might have a chance against Marques Colston, Devery Henderson and Robert Meachem. The Giants, though, don't have a linebacker who can stick with Jeremy Shockey, who leads the Saints with 18 catches. Conversely, this is Eli Manning's first game in the Superdome as a pro, and he's off to his best start ever. The Giants are No. 2 on offense, and Manning already has four pass plays over 43 yards.

The Saints need to apply the pressure, considering Manning remains hobbled by a sore right heel. His best friend, though, is that stout Giants offensive line. But the whole key to the game could be New York's running game. If Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw can sustain drives, they can keep Brees & Co. off the field for long stretches.

CZAR'S SCOOP: When there was the possibility of losing defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, Saints coach Sean Payton wrote a check from his personal account for $250,000 to Williams just to make sure he stayed. Right now, the Saints own a +7 turnover edge, with safety Darren Sharper grabbing two interceptions, returning two for TDs.

The other New York players, besides Manning, from Louisiana and returning home for the first time are CB Corey Webster, an LSU graduate, and RB Jacobs from Napoleonville, La. Jacobs has had a rough week; he walked out of one interview with several New York writers because he felt they were criticizing his powerful style of running, especially when compared with Bradshaw, who is averaging 6.5 yards a carry to Jacobs' 3.6. The past two seasons, Jacobs averaged 5 yards.

One thing to consider is that the Giants have beaten two winless teams and the Raiders. The Saints have beaten two winning teams, Philadelphia and the Jets. Over the next six weeks, the Giants will be tested as their opponents own a cumulative 19-6 record. They don't play another bum until they travel to Washington on Dec. 21. Although he's back-tracked on his "revenge" talk, you know this is more than just a game for Shockey, who was traded after the Giants won the Super Bowl without him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10234890/Countdown:-Running-game-could-be-key-for-Giants

New York Giants plan to blitz Kurt Warner, pass-happy Arizona Cardinals

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, October 22nd 2009, 4:00 AM

The tone was set in the first defensive meeting Wednesday, and it carried over to practice. There was more of an edge, players said, faster tempo and a higher intensity.

"This was different than a normal practice," said linebacker Danny Clark. "This was definitely up-tempo. After coming off the game we had a week ago, everything was a bit more precise."

"Why wouldn't it be?" added defensive end Justin Tuck. "You just got your butt kicked. You definitely want to come out and do something about it."

For the defense, that means returning to the aggressive, attacking style that was nonexistent during the Giants' 48-27 loss in New Orleans. The defense barely touched Saints quarterback Drew Brees in that game, and the Giants (5-1) know they can't allow Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner to have the same comfort level when they face the Cardinals (3-2) at Giants Stadium on Sunday night.

The problem is the Cardinals might actually be more dangerous than the Saints. They rank sixth in passing offense (280.2yards per game, or 10 more than the seventh-ranked Saints) and have one of the most dangerous players in the NFL in receiver Larry Fitzgerald (35 catches, 360 yards, five touchdowns).

So getting to Warner will be key for a pass rush that has been incredibly inconsistent this season. The Giants have 14 sacks total, all of which came against the Redskins, Chiefs and Raiders.

Getting to Warner should be easier than reaching Brees, at least in theory. He's had a reputation for holding onto the football a little too long, at least in the previous few years.

"Coming into this week I was looking at the same thing and licking my chops," Tuck said. "Then you see he's getting the ball out in an average of 2.2 seconds, which is a drastic change. This year he's really changed it up and he's getting the ball out quick, which is going to make it difficult for us."

It could be even more difficult since the Giants appear to be less of a blitzing team under new defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan than they were in the previous two seasons under Steve Spagnuolo. Sheridan appeared to call blitzes on fewer than a third of the plays against the Saints, a big change from previous games and a big issue when his defensive linemen didn't get the job done.

Sheridan hasn't been available since that game to discuss his strategy, but that passive game plan appeared to be a reaction to the fact that the Saints had so many weapons. The more he blitzed, the more he would have exposed his depleted secondary. So instead the Giants sat back in what appeared to be a passive zone.

That's not their game, nor is it the way they want to play.

"We can only worry about what we do," Tuck said. "That's one of the reasons why we got into trouble against New Orleans. We started worrying about the things they do and how to stop it, instead of worrying about what we do and doing it well."

What the Giants do well is attack, which is what they tried to emphasize Wednesday.

"We want to get (Warner) as uncomfortable as possible," Clark said. "So we needed to practice with faster tempo. That started today."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2009/10/22/2009-10-22_new_york_giants_fans_should_expect_blitz_of_changes_when_arizona_cardinals_and_k.html#ixzz0UfHJfTGk

Cards defense befuddles Manning, Giants

Associated Press

add this RSS email print

Updated: October 26, 2009, 1:55 AM EDT

5 comments

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - The Arizona Cardinals conquered their House of Horrors with a new approach: scary defense.

A team built around the passing of Kurt Warner and receiving of Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin could be downright dominant with a stingy defense. And it sure wasn't the offense that carried the Cardinals to just their third win in 18 visits to the Meadowlands, 24-17 over the New York Giants on Sunday night.

"Tonight," Warner said, "we definitely fed off our defense."

In its last visit to Giants Stadium, Arizona forced four turnovers and bewildered Eli Manning with its blitzes. The Cardinals finished 3-15 at the Meadowlands, but this win lifted the defending NFC champions into first place in the West Division at 4-2 with their third straight victory.

"We feel like we've got one of the best defenses in the league," Boldin said. "It's tough for teams to move the ball on them, let alone score on them."

Safety Adrian Wilson had an interception and a fumble recovery, Antrel Rolle picked off Manning to clinch it, and less-heralded Cardinals Jason Wright, Tim Hightower and rookie Beanie Wells found the end zone.

"Our game plan was to get (Manning) rattled, make him make quick decisions and quick throws," linebacker Gerald Hayes said. "He made some plays, but they came up short."

The Giants (5-2) lost their second straight and were let down by, of all people, their normally solid punter. Jeff Feagles struggled, helping give the Cardinals a solid edge in field position for much of the prime-time matchup.

Feagles said he used the wrong kicking angles trying to keep the ball away from returner Steve Breaston.

Wilson, Rolle and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who left late in the third quarter with an ankle injury - X-rays were negative - in the Arizona secondary benefited from the confusion the defense caused for Manning, who was 19 for 37 and threw three interceptions.

"We played team defense," Rodgers-Cromartie said. "Everybody stepped up. When we had interception opportunities, we made them."

And they made the Giants look puzzled on offense.

"They are constantly moving around and flipping safeties and they did a good job with that," center Shaun O'Hara said. "Sometimes we caught them and sometimes they caught us."

Rodgers-Cromartie was the featured character in two noteworthy first-half plays that both wound up in the end zone. He ran stride for stride with Domenik Hixon, then leaped to wrestle the ball away from the receiver in Arizona's end zone in the first quarter.

He went from hero to villain in the second period on a bizarre play. In man coverage against Mario Manningham, Rodgers-Cromartie used another acrobatic leap. But he deflected the ball with his left hand about 15 yards downfield, where Hakeem Nicks caught it in stride and sped to his fourth touchdown in as many games. That 62-yarder put New York ahead 14-7.

"Weird," Rodgers-Cromartie said.

Quickly, the Cardinals got some points back. Boldin, questionable for the prime-time game with an ankle injury, beat Bruce Johnson for a 44-yard catch-and-run to the New York 19. Neil Rackers' 30-yard field goal ended the first-half scoring.

The Giants used a replay challenge to thwart Arizona's opening drive. Justin Tuck forced Hightower to lose the ball at the New York 27, but officials ruled Hightower down before the ball came out. Coach Tom Coughlin flung his red flag and the call was overruled.

It was one of New York's few victories all night.

"Anytime you turn the ball over four times, you don't have much of a chance to win," Coughlin said.

That overrule didn't help the Giants much, but another turnover did. Warner threw short of Fitzgerald, who had only two receptions for 14 yards in the opening half. Terrell Thomas got his third career interception, second against Warner, and New York went 29 yards on two runs by Brandon Jacobs, who ran over Wilson for a 4-yard TD.

Wells ran 13 yards for his first NFL touchdown late in the second quarter after mediocre punting by Feagles, the oldest punter in the league at 43. Feagles really struggled in the third quarter, as well, helping the Cardinals. But not as much as team leaders Fitzgerald and Wilson.

Fitzgerald broke free down the middle for 26- and 27-yard completions after Arizona got the ball at its 45 on Feagles' 35-yard punt. Hightower scored from the 1.

Wilson picked off Manning at New York's 20 when defensive end Calais Campbell tipped a pass, and third-string running back Wright scored on a 6-yard middle screen - the same play the Cardinals used to beat Philadelphia in January's NFC title game - to make it 24-14.

NOTES: Warner finished 26 of 30 for 231 yards, and Wells rushed for 67 yards ... Fitzgerald finished with six catches for 83 yards ... Rookie Nicks caught four balls for 80 yards ... Wright said he saw a field mouse run onto the field and "wasn't sure if it was a big, old rat." He got plenty of teasing from teammates when he scurried away from the rodent.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/recap?gameId=20091025019

New York Giants wide receiver Steve Smith thinks Big Blue can throw on Philadelphia Eagles

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, October 29th 2009, 4:00 AM

Giants receiver Steve Smith has respect for the Philadelphia Eagles' defense and said their cornerbacks are "good" and "savvy."

He also thinks they're vulnerable.

"I think sometimes they get caught with their eyes in the backfield," Smith said. "You can run right by them sometimes. We're not going to be surprised if we're wide open down the field on a play."

Though that quote won't sit well down at the other end of the Turnpike, it sums up what the Giants feel about the Eagles defense heading into their NFC East showdown in Philadelphia on Sunday. The Giants fancy themselves as a big-play passing offense.

Against the Eagles, they're convinced they will have opportunities for those plays.

"They're going to be there," Smith insisted. "There are going to be a few plays where we're wide open. We've just got to make a play."

That, of course, is the key. Over the last two weeks, in losses to the Saints and Cardinals, the Giants have lamented too many missed opportunities. Against the Saints, Smith was wide open early for an easy touchdown only to have Eli Manning's pass sail over his hands. Against the Cardinals, Mario Manningham dropped what should've been a long touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Against the Eagles' blitzing attack, they can't fail when they have those chances.

"When you do have time to hit a big play you've got to take advantage of it," Manning said. "You've got to hit it."

Giants receivers have hit the Eagles plenty. Plaxico Burress had four 100-yard receiving games against the Eagles in his five seasons with the Giants. That included an overtime win on Sept. 17, 2006, when Burress (6-114) and Amani Toomer (12-137) combined for 18 catches and 251 yards.

There is a risk, though. The Eagles have 21 sacks this season, tied for second-most in the league. So failing to capitalize on one-on-one coverages could be costly. They also have only given up 13 pass plays of more than 20 yards, and only three have gone for longer than 30. So big plays against the cornerback trio of Asante Samuel, Sheldon Brown and Ellis Hobbs haven't come easy.

Then again, other than a 48-22 loss to the Saints, the Eagles haven't faced a passing offense as potent as the Giants'. The Giants have converted 28 pass plays of 20 yards or more - the second most in the NFL. And they think they've missed opportunities for several more.

Manning is confident that won't happen again.

"They got to do it," Manning said. "I have great faith in them. This team will play man and a lot of single high (coverage). The receivers on the outside have to win and we've got to put them in a good situation to do that."

TROUBLE AFOOT: RB Ahmad Bradshaw went to see Dr. Robert Anderson, an orthopedic specialist in Charlotte, N.C., Wednesday to have his injured ankle/foot examined. Bradshaw, who has 455 rushing yards, has been battling the injury all season. ... LB Antonio Pierce injured his ankle Sunday night and did not practice. A team spokesman said the injury isn't serious.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2009/10/29/2009-10-29_smith_let_it_fly_against_eagles.html#ixzz0VK4LBYKd

Bradshaw will play despite cracked bone in foot

Associated Press

add this RSS email print

Updated: October 30, 2009, 1:37 AM EDT

5 comments

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - New York Giants backup running back Ahmad Bradshaw will continue to play this season despite having a cracked bone on his right foot.

The third-year running back, who has gained 455 yard rushing, has seemingly known about the injury since the spring but he has played in pain.

Bradshaw flew to North Carolina on Wednesday and was examined by foot and ankle specialist Dr. Robert Anderson, who confirmed the diagnosis by Giants physicians: a cracked fifth metatarsal. It's a bone that runs along the outside the foot between the ankle and the toes.

Bradshaw said doctors told him the bone could break if he continues playing.

"I just plan on going out there and giving it my all and if it breaks, it does," Bradshaw said. "I'll get surgery. If not, I'll wait to the end of the season and hopefully at the end I won't need it, but more than likely I plan on having surgery."

Bradshaw, who said he cushions his foot during games and finds that running hard is the best way to protect himself, hopes he can finish the season without the injury getting worse.

A slashing runner who plays behind starter Brandon Jacobs, Bradshaw has been dealing with two injuries this season. He also has been bothered by a problem with his right ankle dating back to his college days.

Since the third game of the season, he has worn a protective boot on his right foot and usually not practiced on Wednesdays and Thursdays. He takes a limited amount of snaps on Friday.

"When the game is going on, I can't feel it," said Bradshaw, who is averaging 5.7 yards per run. "A lot of adrenaline is pumping and you just never know. I felt a lot of pressure going through the game but it was never a factor."

Bradshaw said the ankle problem resulted from "an old fracture."

"It was never taken care of," he said. "That is just how it grew over with a couple of bone spurs and a couple of loose bones in there. It just heals like that. It is just a lot of pain. Other than that, it doesn't slow me down at all."

Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Bradshaw will get rest, treatment, rehabilitation and immobilization on the days that he does not practice. He acknowledged the injury might require surgery at the end of the season.

The Giants (5-2) play at Philadelphia (4-2) on Sunday.

Notes

Defensive tackle Chris Canty, who hasn't played since the season-opening victory over Washington because of a calf injury, and linebacker Michael Boley, who had arthroscopic knee surgery on Oct. 6, took part in individual practice drills on Thursday.

Cornerback Aaron Ross, who has not played this season because of hamstring injury, did not practice, Middle linebacker Antonio Pierce was limited with an ankle injury.

Offensive tackle Kareem McKenzie, who missed last weekend's game with a groin injury, practiced fully.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10292270/Bradshaw-will-play-despite-cracked-bone-in-foot

Giants WR Manningham in doubt for Eagles game

Associated Press

add this RSS email print

Updated: October 30, 2009, 4:51 PM EDT

13 comments

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - New York Giants receiver Mario Manningham missed practice on Friday with an injured left shoulder.

Manningham hurt the shoulder on the final play of practice on Thursday. He was held out of the team's final workout for Sunday's game against the Philadelphia Eagles as a precaution.

"They thought it was better if he just not work today," coach Tom Coughlin said. "So I'm going to list him as questionable, but hopefully he will make it."

Manningham has started six of seven games this season, catching 28 passes for 439 yards and four touchdowns. If he cannot play, Domenik Hixon or rookie Hakeem Nicks would see more action. Nicks has caught touchdowns in four straight games.

"I'm good. You'll see me out there on Sunday," Manningham said. "I just fell on my shoulder yesterday. I'm cool. I'll be all right."

Middle linebacker Antonio Pierce (ankle) and offensive tackle Kareem McKenzie (groin) practiced fully and were listed as probable for the game.

McKenzie missed last Sunday's game against the Arizona Cardinals with the injury, marking the first time in 38 regular season games that he had been sidelined.

Backup running back Ahmad Bradshaw, who disclosed he has played with a cracked bone in his right foot all season, practiced on a limited basis on Friday and is probable for Sunday's game.

Cornerback Aaron Ross (hamstring), defensive tackle Chris Canty (calf) and linebacker Michael Boley (knee) were ruled out for Sunday's game.

The Giants (5-2) are trying to snap a two-game losing streak.