SportsWrath

2009 NY GIANTS Articles and Video

jerseygiantfan

Ross re-injures leg; status unknown

Comment Email Print Share

Associated Press

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The New York Giants ended training camp with new concerns about starting cornerback Aaron Ross.

Ross re-injured his left hamstring on the second play of an 11-on-11 drill Tuesday morning when he turned quickly to cover Steve Smith going deep for an Eli Manning pass.

Ross immediately fell to the grass and grabbed his hamstring, the same injury that recently kept him out for a week. The third-year pro had returned to practice Monday.

"It felt like someone shot me," Ross said after the workout. "It was cramping in three different places. Hopefully, it won't take more than 18 days. The first game is in 19 days."

Ross had his leg wrapped by trainers and then walked to the sidelines where he talked to halfback Ahmad Bradshaw and linebacker Michael Boley, who has missed all of training camp while coming back from hip surgery.

Ross was eventually taken in a golf cart to the Giants locker room.

Coach Tom Coughlin did not know whether the injury was serious.

"The poor kid can't get beyond that," Coughlin said. "He was obviously working his way back and made a sudden move to try to catch back up to a receiver who was going by. It was very frustrating because he has not had a lot of time on the field."

Ross has had some mild hamstring strains and problems with cramping since being taken as a first-round pick by the Giants in 2007. The latest problem is more severe.

The positive news for the Giants is that backups Kevin Dockery and Terrell Thomas have gotten plenty of work and played well with Ross out.

"You watch those two guys practice and they've certainly benefited from the amount of snaps, and they haven't backed down a bit, so I am hoping that stays that way," Coughlin said.

The coach seemed frustrated by the number of nagging injuries during camp at the University at Albany.

Defensive tackle Chris Canty, who signed a six-year, $42 million contract as a free agent, has been sidelined for weeks with a hamstring injury that Coughlin recently said is a tear. Canty was treated in New York City on Monday.

Defensive tackle Rocky Bernard, who signed a four-year, $16 million contract, missed the opening two weeks of camp with a hamstring injury he suffered while working out on his own. He is expected to play Saturday in the annual preseason game against the Jets.

The Giants reported to training camp on Aug. 2 trying to find out whether they had the receivers needed to replace Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer. Burress was released in April, roughly four months after accidentally shooting himself in the leg. Toomer was not re-signed after spending his entire 13 years with the Giants and later signed with the Kansas City Chiefs.

In the past week, Giants first-round draft pick Hakeem Nicks has stepped up. The North Carolina product had a 55-yard catch and run late in the 17-3 loss to Chicago on Saturday night. He also had two long receptions on Monday and, after dropping two deep passes on Tuesday, he made a fingertip catch on a deep sideline pass from Manning.

"He came back with a play, which is good to see at the end," said Coughlin, who gave his team a reward by ending the last practice 30 minutes early.

The Giants are uncertain whether they will return to Albany for training camp next season or hold it at their new headquarters in East Rutherford, N.J.

"I don't know, I don't know," Mara said shortly after arriving at practice.

The team's biggest concern at Albany is not having an indoor facility for practice during inclement weather. That wasn't a problem the past 24 days; the conditioning drills on reporting day were rained out.

The Giants have an indoor practice facility at home.

"The weather has been exceptional and the idea of us being all together and being in a camp-type setting, that is very positive to us," said Coughlin, who said there are pros and cons to training at home and away.

Mara said the team hopes to make a decision on next year's camp in a few weeks.

"We're still talking," Albany Mayor Jerry Jennings said after practice. "I'm cautiously optimistic. I always am, so we are going to continue to work with them and have a decision in a couple of weeks."

The Giants will practice for the rest of the season in East Rutherford.

Phillips a rising star in Giants' defense

August 28, 2009 1:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Growing up 15 minutes from the University of Miami campus, Kenny Phillips idolized Hurricanes such as Ed Reed and the late Sean Taylor. His choice came down to either Miami or Tennessee, and he decided to go with the program that could be referred to as Safety U.

Phillips eventually became a star for Miami before becoming a first-round draft choice for the Giants in '08. Some scouts said he was the best tackling safety they'd seen in years. Phillips quickly asserted himself as a playmaker in his first training camp, but he wasn't transferring it to the field.

His best season in college had actually been '06, when he could lean on safety Brandon Meriweather (now with the Patriots) in terms of making calls. He was available late in the first round of the '08 draft (No. 31), in part, because he slipped a little bit without Meriweather.

He couldn't crack the starting lineup heading into his rookie season with the Giants because he was thinking too much instead of trusting his instincts. A year later, he's poised to become one of the most dynamic players in the division.

He's my pick from the NFC East in ESPN.com's Emerging Stars series. Phillips has once again been one of the best players during training camp, but this season there's reason to believe he'll take that production to the field.

"There's a calmness about [Phillips]," Giants general manager Jerry Reese told ESPN.com earlier this month. "It never looks like he's straining. Everything comes easy for him. He's had a great camp and you can start to see that he's got some star qualities."

Even the grouchiest man in camp, coach Tom Coughlin, has gushed about Phillips. He'll replace James Butler at strong safety and play opposite Michael Johnson. Butler joined the Rams in free agency, but even if he'd stayed, he wasn't going to hold off Phillips another season.

This past offseason, Phillips added 15 pounds of muscle and is now playing at 217. And the funny thing is, he doesn't have a clue how he did it. He'd always had a tough time retaining weight, but something changed. Now, one of the surest tacklers on the team has a more menacing look about him. And as evidenced by several highlight-reel interceptions early in camp, Phillips didn't have to sacrifice any speed.

"I'm way more confident in the defense this season," Phillips said Friday via phone. "I'm playing football now and I'm not having to think so much. It's like back in college or something."

Speaking of college, Phillips gives a lot of credit to former Hurricanes such Reed and Bennie Blades for his development. He said Reed taught him how to break down film and recognize certain formations. There's a reverence in Phillips' voice when he talks about Reed.

Phillips met Blades on the sideline of the Miami-Oklahoma game in '06. Blades, who was never shy on confidence, reminded Phillips that he once had 15 tackles, an interception and a forced fumble in a game against the Sooners. He challenged Phillips to repeat the feat and then offered him feedback throughout the game.

"He was basically coaching the whole game," Phillips said of Blades. "We lost pretty big, but I ended up having 14 or 15 tackles and an interception. All I was missing was the forced fumble."

By his account, it took Phillips at least eight games in '08 before "things started slowing down." In Week 8, he helped ignite the Giants in a come-from-behind 21-14 win in Pittsburgh. On one play, he recognized from his film study where running back Mewelde Moore was headed in a pass pattern. He raced across the field and annihilated Moore, which drew a 15-yard penalty for an excessive hit.

Despite the penalty, the play energized the Giants' sideline and the defense quickly caused a turnover. Phillips grabbed the second interception of his career in that game and finished with five for the season. Now he has a bigger goal in mind.

"Ever since high school, my goal was to get 10 interceptions and four touchdowns in a season," Phillips said. "I think I can make it happen."

Phillips said "it almost feels like cheating" to have so much talent in the front seven. He thinks the chaos near the line of scrimmage will make life relatively easy for the secondary. Coaches have asked Phillips to be more vocal this season, and that's something that comes pretty natural to him.

"When you're a starter, you're automatically looked upon as a leader," Phillips said. "Last year, James Butler got everyone lined up. Now I've got to make some of those calls and I'm looking forward to it."

I brought up safeties such as the Redskins' LaRon Landry and the Eagles' Quintin Mikell, but it's obvious Phillips thinks he's ready to overtake those players. He takes a great deal of pride in his tackling, and that's one of the reasons he's watched film of former Eagles safety Brian Dawkins.

"I like running into stuff," Phillips said. "Big or small, it doesn't matter. I really, really hate missing tackles."

He said Clinton Portis and Marion Barber are the toughest players in the division to tackle -- because he wasn't allowed to choose his teammate Brandon Jacobs. Phillips is one of the brightest young stars on what I believe to be the best defense in the NFC East.

We should be able to eliminate the word "emerging" when Phillips goes to the Pro Bowl in '09. After all, Justin Tuck was my choice last season.

Umenyiora misses practice, doesn't tell anyone

Associated Press

add this RSS email print

Updated: August 31, 2009, 5:59 PM EDT

10 comments

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Osi Umenyiora missed practice Monday without giving Giants coach Tom Coughlin an explanation.

Umenyiora, who missed all of last season with a knee injury, attended meetings in the morning at the team's headquarters. However, he left unexpectedly without talking to Coughlin and didn't return for the workout.

"We will have to talk to him when he gets back," Coughlin said. "Obviously he is not here, so I am concerned."

New York general manager Jerry Reese sent a text message to Umenyiora to ask him if he was all right. Umenyiora responded that he was, but didn't explain why he left.

The absence will be considered unexcused, so Umenyiora likely will be fined.

"There must have been something of a personal nature, and he left," Coughlin said. "I haven't personally talked to him. He did respond to Jerry, evidently by text. That's all I have. I haven't seen him, so I can't tell you."

After missing the last two preseason games with a sore foot, middle linebacker Antonio Pierce returned to practice on Monday.

Starting left guard David Diehl did not practice because of soreness in his kneecap. He will not play against the New England Patriots on Thursday in the preseason finale.

Also missing practice were safety Kenny Phillips (sore knee), cornerback Aaron Ross (hamstring), halfback Danny Ware (ribs), receiver David Tyree (hamstring) and defensive tackle Chris Canty (hamstring).

Backup offensive tackle Guy Whimper, who was filling in for Diehl, had to leave practice with a hip flexor after colliding with halfback Brandon Jacobs. Free agent offensive lineman Andrew Carnahan twisted a knee.

Coughlin did not know the extent of their injuries.

NFC East: Backup QB breakdown

September 1, 2009 12:05 PM

Dallas: If Tony Romo is unavailable, the Cowboys would still have a chance at winning games. Jon Kitna's moving into his late 30s, but he still has plenty of arm strength and he's a huge improvement over Brad Johnson. Kitna doesn't have the mobility of Romo and he took a lot of sacks in Detroit. But he can make all the throws and he could succeed for an extended amount of time. The only thing that worries me about Kitna is that he's had a lot of trouble getting the snap from center in training camp and in preseason games. Not sure what the problem is there.

Roy Williams had the best year of his NFL career playing with Kitna. Romo's the unquestioned starter, but Kitna's presence makes the Cowboys feel a lot more comfortable heading into '09.

New York: If Eli Manning's unavailable, the Giants are in trouble. David Carr looked a lot better against the Jets, but he had really been struggling before that. He's still sort of shell-shocked from his time with the Texans. He might be fine to get you through a game or two, but the Giants would struggle if Carr has to play four or five games. I don't think he gets the ball out quickly enough at this point. Even his own quarterbacks coach, Chris Palmer, called him out recently. With the arrival of Michael Vick in Philly, the Giants might have the weakest backup situation in the division. Right now, it looks like Andre Woodson has the edge on Rhett Bomar to be the third quarterback.

Philadelphia: If Donovan McNabb's unavailable, it will be Michael Vick time for the Eagles. Obviously, he won't become the No. 2 quarterback until he's fully reinstated by Roger Goodell, but that will likely happen fairly early in the season. Vick automatically becomes the best backup in the division based on his previous work. He'll be a huge threat in the Wildcat formation and I think he'd function well as the starter if something happens to McNabb. Michael Vick's too young and talented to have the mindset of a backup -- and that's not necessarily a bad thing for the Eagles. If McNabb gets injured, they want Vick to feel plenty of confidence as his replacement.

Washington: If Jason Campbell is unavailable, Todd Collins will take over. Collins doesn't do anything flashy but he can do a good job of managing the team. He replaced an injured Jason Campbell in the second half of the '07 season and led the Redskins on a remarkable playoff run. Collins doesn't have the arm strength to light it up in the vertical passing game, but he does a good job of checking down passes and not turning the ball over. Coach Jim Zorn thought that Colt Brennan might be ready to challenge Collins, but that never happened.

There's a good chance that former Missouri quarterback Chase Daniel will beat out Brennan for the No. 3 spot. He's outplayed him in the preseason. Daniel's nowhere close to being a starter in this league, but he's played with a lot of poise in the preseason. Let's see how he does in the Skins' final preseason game.

:giants:Wide receiver Sinorice Moss gathers gloom as Giants' final cut nears

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, September 3rd 2009, 4:00 AM

FOXBORO - Sinorice Moss didn't know what to think Saturday night when he was sitting on the bench, being ignored by the coaches, while the rest of his teammates played in the first half against the Jets. He was sure he had earned an opportunity with an outstanding spring and summer.

Now he's forced to wonder if his opportunity might be somewhere else.

That's what the 25-year-old Moss is facing, as he heads into the Giants' preseason finale against the Patriots in New England tonight. He knows the final cuts are due at 6 p.m. on Saturday, and he's no longer sure if he has a future with the Giants.

He also knows it might be too late to do anything about it.

"If that is the case, I have no say so in that," Moss said. "I don't know what it is. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, keep working hard. This week is a new week, a new opportunity for myself to go out and make some plays."

Moss has remained positive throughout a three-year career that has been marked by injuries, inconsistent performances and a lack of opportunities. But this week, his demeanor turned sour after his unexpected experience against the Jets.

Other than on special teams, he didn't get on the field until late in the second half, although the first-team offense played most of the first three quarters. Even rookies Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden got time in the offense with quarterback Eli Manning ahead of Moss.

That was Tom Coughlin's explanation - that he wanted to get an extended look at his young wideouts - but it was still a blow to Moss, who entered training camp as the No. 3 receiver and felt he hadn't done anything to lose the job.

Needless to say, the snub sent his mind racing with "a lot of different things."

"Uncertainty," he said. "Not knowing what's going on. Those were the types of questions running through my head. I was just very, very anxious and eager to get out there on the field."

When Moss did get out there with the offense, he was invisible, even though he insisted, "I did what I had to do. I ran my routes. I was open."

After the starters were pulled with 6:12 left in the third quarter, backup quarterback David Carr attempted 17 passes. He targeted six different receivers. He threw to Nicks six times. He even threw to Mario Manningham five times, even though Manningham had been playing since the first quarter.

He didn't throw in Moss' direction once.

Not surprisingly, Moss wanted answers, so the next day he approached receivers coach Mike Sullivan. But he got the same answer Coughlin gave, that the coaches were, "Just trying to work guys in there, get guys out there and be able to show what they can do."

Asked if that meant they already knew what Moss could do, Moss said, "I don't know. I still don't know."

"I mean, there are questions that need to be answered," he said. "It would be ideal to get those questions answered. But I'm going to stay the same way I've been, keep working hard and do what I have to do this week. When I get the opportunity, I'll go in there and do what I have to do."

IN ACTION: R David Tyree (hamstring), LT David Diehl (knee), RB Danny Ware (chest), CB Aaron Ross (hamstring) and S Kenny Phillips (knee) are some of the Giants of note expected to play tonight....DE Justin Tuck was named the Defensive Player of the Year and Manning the Offensive Player of the Year for 2008 by the Giants at their annual kickoff luncheon Wednesday. P Jeff Feagles was the special teams MVP, S Kenny Phillips was the Rookie of the Year and the starting offensive line was named the "Overall MVP."

Giants DT Alford to miss season with knee injury

Associated Press

add this RSS email print

Updated: September 4, 2009, 8:08 PM EDT

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - New York Giants backup defensive tackle Jay Alford is going to miss the season with a knee injury.

Alford had surgery on Friday to repair a partially torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Alford was hurt two weeks ago in a preseason game in Chicago against the Bears, tearing his medial collateral ligament and partially tearing his ACL in the third quarter.

Dr. Russell Warren re-examined the knee on Friday and decided to reconstruct the ACL in a procedure at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City.

"That's a blow to our team, too," coach Tom Coughlin said Friday. "That's a guy who had played well and served evidence that he was going to play well."

Alford had an excellent training camp. He was going to get plenty of playing time behind starters Barry Cofield and Fred Robbins.

The injury also caused another change. Alford was the snapper on extra points and field goals. Longsnapper Zak DeOssie has taken over both jobs.

A third-round draft choice from Penn State in 2007, Alford had played in all 32 regular season games with three starts. He had 34 career tackles and 3.5 sacks. He also played in five postseason games, recording a late sack on Tom Brady in the 2008 Super Bowl.

Coughlin also said that starting safety Kenny Phillips, who has been bothered by a knee injury, is expected to return to practice this week when the Giants start preparations for the season opener against the Washington Redskins.

Defensive tackle Chris Canty, who returned to practice last week after missing almost all of training camp with a hamstring injury, also is expected to do more.

Coughlin did not know when starting cornerback Aaron Ross would be ready to return from a hamstring injury.

Giants' final preaseason tuneup against New England gets Big Blue motoring

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, September 5th 2009, 4:00 AM

The performance of the Giants' first team on Thursday night was absolutely dominant. Then again, that's what's supposed to happen in a major mismatch. Everything they did came against New England's third- and fourth-teamers.

So it's debatable how much those first six minutes will really mean.

For the Giants, however, at least it was a start - something they've been searching for throughout their erratic preseason. And maybe it was enough of a start to get their confidence up and get them heading into their regular-season opener, one week from tomorrow, in the right frame of mind.

"They were focused, they knew they were only in for a limited amount of time, and we had talked about big plays and they were (there)," Tom Coughlin said on a conference call Friday, one day after the Giants wrapped up the preseason with a 38-27 loss to the Patriots. "So yes, would I say certainly that momentum and the confidence that comes from that is very helpful. Hopefully that'll provide us with what we need going forward."

The confidence, Coughlin said, comes from the fact that it took just 12 offensive plays - and 9:13 off the game clock - for the Giants to build a 21-0 lead. Both Eli Manning and David Carr had "perfect" games at quarterback, going 9-for-9 for 229 yards in four combined series. And the Giants' first- and second-team defense forced the Patriots to open with three straight three-and-outs.

Of course, those Patriots were playing without 19 of their 22 regular starters. On defense they benched nine starters, and even stuck a second-year receiver at free safety. On offense, they sat 10 of 11 starters, including quarterback Tom Brady and receivers Wes Welker and Randy Moss.

So this wasn't even a skeleton Patriots team. But considering how disappointing the Giants' play had been through three preseason games - particularly on offense, where the passing attack had stalled - maybe such an easy and obvious boost in confidence couldn't have come at a better time.

"I think we definitely have gotten better as a receiving corps, and as an offense in the passing game," Manning said Friday. "The more game time we all get together, the stronger we'll become. But we are in a good spot right now."

BAD WAY FOR JAY: DT Jay Alford, who tore the MCL and partially tore the ACL in his left knee in Chicago on Aug. 22, underwent knee surgery Friday and will be placed on season-ending injured reserve today....WR Hakeem Nicks (hip) and CB Terrell Thomas (neck) "seemed fine" Coughlin said. C Adam Koets suffered a sprained ankle....S Kenny Phillips (knee) is expected back at practice next week, and Coughlin said he's hoping to "do more" with DT Chris Canty (hamstring)....The Giants have to make 20cuts by 6 p.m. today.

Super Bowl hero Tyree cut by Giants

Associated Press

add this RSS email print

Updated: September 5, 2009, 7:38 PM EDT

0 comments

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - David Tyree has gone from Super Bowl hero to out of a job.

Tyree was released by the New York Giants on Saturday in the final cutdown that also featured a late trade with backup tight end Michael Matthews, another Super Bowl veteran, being shipped to the New England Patriots for a conditional draft pick.

Tyree missed last season after suffering a lingering hamstring injury while coming back from offseason knee surgery. The 29-year-old wide receiver battled minor groin, hamstring and knee injuries in training camp this year and played only two preseason games, missing the last two.

"It's obviously a time of mixed feelings," Tyree said Saturday. "This is part of the journey. It's not like it's a great day. But at the same time I'm filled with expectations about what's next on this track, and I'm excited, as well."

Linebacker Michael Boley was placed on reserve while serving a one-game suspension handed down by the NFL. He cannot return to the Giants' training facility until Sept. 14, the day after the opener against Washington.

The Giants also put defensive tackle Jay Alford (knee surgery) on injured reserve. Defensive tackle Jeremy Clark (ankle) was waived injured.

This catch by David Tyree propelled the Giants to a Super Bowl title in 2008. (Doug Pensinger / Getty Images)

New York waived quarterbacks Andre' Woodson and Rhett Bomar; running back Allen Patrick; fullback Dwayne Wright; offensive linemen Terrence Pennington, Orrin Thompson and Cliff Louis; wide receiver Shaun Bodiford; defensive linemen Maurice Evans, Tommie Hill, Robert Henderson and Anthony Bryant; linebacker Kenny Ingram; cornerback DeAndre Wright; and safeties Travonti Johnson, Vince Anderson and Sha'reff Rashad.

A sixth-round draft pick out of Syracuse, Tyree only had 54 catches for 650 yards and four touchdowns with New York. His biggest contributions always came on special teams, which earned him a Pro Bowl berth in 2005.

"David Tyree is such a class act," coach Tom Coughlin said. "What a great guy he is. When he came in to see me, I had a lot of emotions running through my head. He put everything at ease, he had a big smile on his face. I told David he is forever etched in the annals of New York Giants history. That will never change. That moment in history will stand forever in time."

Tyree made one of the most remarkable catches in Super Bowl history some 19 months ago when the Giants defeated the previously unbeaten New England Patriots.

The play has been called "The Catch."

With the Giants trailing 14-10 late in the fourth quarter and faced with a third and 5, Tyree hauled in a 32-yard pass from Eli Manning, pinning the ball against his helmet as defender Rodney Harrison yanked him to the ground.

The play set up Manning's winning touchdown pass to Plaxico Burress.

"It's the big bang theory," said Tyree, who caught the ball after Manning avoided a sack. "It's a moment that obviously will never be taken, it's a moment that I will cherish. I said after the game, if I never get a chance to play football again, I can't be upset with the way my career went."

Tyree also caught a 5-yard touchdown pass from Manning earlier in the game, which was his first touchdown catch of the season. Coming into the Super Bowl, he had caught four passes all season.

"I'm not going to sit there and say I had a great camp and why would they do this," Tyree said. "I didn't have a great camp. I had a very average camp. It started terrible and worked up to average. It's about performance."

The decision to cut Woodson and Bomar means the Giants will have two quarterbacks on the roster - Manning and David Carr - for the second straight season.

Five rookie draft picks made the 53-man roster - receivers Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden, linebacker Clint Sintim, offensive tackle William Beatty and tight end Travis Beckum.

Giants: Cutdown analysis

September 5, 2009 6:47 PM

Biggest surprise: I guess Sinorice Moss actually making the team would qualify as somewhat of a surprise. He thought his days with the team were numbered, but he had two touchdowns in the Giants' final preseason game. The fact that Moss and Derek Hagan are both on the final roster is pretty surprising. The Giants now have seven receivers on the 53-man roster. That could certainly change if they make a move before the season opener or immediately after. I'm mildly surprised by Darcy Johnson making the team over Mike Matthews, who has played in every game the past two seasons. Matthews was traded to New England for a conditional draft choice. Johnson has more athleticism and his blocking's improved. Interesting to see the Giants release both Rhett Bomar and Andre' Woodson. They were both pretty bad in the final preseason game. I'm sure general manager Jerry Reese will try to sneak Bomar through to the practice squad. I'm a little surprised about former Penn State defensive end Maurice Evans getting cut. I don't think the Giants will be able to get him on the practice squad.

No-brainers: Cornerback DeAndre Wright looked OK early in camp, but he was exposed in the preseason. The Giants love to keep draft picks, but I'm not sure Wright will even be considered for the practice squad. He was outplayed by an undrafted player named Bruce Johnson, who made the 53-man roster. I also think safety Travonti Johnson is a no-brainer. Every time I looked up, Johnson was giving up a deep ball. And he didn't bring enough on special teams.

What's next: The Giants will be scouring the waiver wires to see who ends up getting cut along the offensive and defensive lines. With defensive tackle Jay Alford out for the year and Chris Canty still nursing a hamstring injury, I think Reese will keep his eye on some rookes who were released from other teams. And it's not like they have tremendous depth on the offensive line. I think Cliff Louis had every chance to make the team, but he made far too many mental mistakes. And the penalties didn't help. Glad to see defensive tackle Dave Tollefson grab one of the final spots. Interesting to see Leger Douzable make the roster. He may have been the last man in -- or maybe it's Hagan.

:giants:Giants GM Jerry Reese confident in team's Super Bowl potential

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, September 7th 2009, 4:00 AM

Jerry Reese likes the look of this Giants team he's assembled. In fact, he thinks there's a chance he'll like it better than his last two teams.

"People like to compare teams to the Super Bowl team (in 2007) and the team that won 12 games last year," Reese told the Daily News. "This team has a chance to be better than those two teams."

The third-year general manager wasn't making a prediction, but he was talking up a roster many others have downplayed in recent weeks. He sees beyond the health problems along his defensive line and the unheralded receiving corps that lost both its starters from last season.

What he sees on this Giants team that will open at home against the Washington Redskins on Sunday is potential he believes too many others have overlooked.

"This team has good players on it," Reese said. "We had some early injuries, but you make adjustments. And we'll get guys back. This team should have an opportunity. I think we have a chance. I'll be very disappointed if we don't play well."

And yes, that's despite what many see as Reese's biggest failure - not acquiring a veteran receiver this offseason after cutting Plaxico Burress and not re-signing Amani Toomer. At separate times, Cleveland's Braylon Edwards, Arizona's Anquan Boldin and Denver's Brandon Marshall were on the trading block. And Reese did have some conversations with the Browns about Edwards.

In fact, had he been willing to trade his first and third-round draft picks - picks he eventually used to select receivers Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden - he might have been able to get Edwards.

But as Reese reminded, "It's not fantasy football." Edwards reportedly wanted a new, $10 million-per-year contract, which was way too much for the Giants to pay on top of the Browns' high asking price in a trade.

"And then, the name that was out there (Edwards) led the league in drops last season," Reese said. "So then if we go out there and he continues to drop balls, everybody would say about me, 'Man, this guy's really a dummy. He went out and got the guy who had the most drops. Why would he do that?' It goes both ways."

Reese has maintained his faith in the Giants' current group of receivers. He's pointed out that most of the "blue-goose one" receivers around the league - like Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson and Terrell Owens - are still searching for their first Super Bowl ring. And he's reminded everyone that the New England Patriots began their dynasty with a group of unheralded, unknown wide receivers.

His point is that teams don't need a true No. 1 receiver to win a championship. And he continues to say it with conviction, even though if the Giants' passing attack fails he knows that failure will be pegged on him.

"I think (the wide receiver issue) is sensationalized to a degree," Reese said. "Just like two years ago we made a move at left tackle and people said 'Oh, these guys aren't going to win a game.' Well, we won a lot of games since we moved David Diehl out to left tackle. Everybody was like it was the end of the world.

"So it's just like everything. If we do well this season with the receivers we have, everyone will say I'm smart. If we don't, they'll say I'm not that smart. That comes with the territory."

Giants afraid Woodson giving secrets to Redskins

Associated Press

add this RSS email print

Updated: September 7, 2009, 3:44 PM EDT

43 comments

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - There's nothing like adding a little intrigue, secrecy, and skullduggery to a season-opening contest between two longtime NFC East rivals, the New York Giants and Washington Redskins.

The Redskins' signing of former Giants quarterback Andre' Woodson to their practice squad on Sunday has New York coach Tom Coughlin and players thinking the move is as sinister as a twist in a Tom Clancy novel. Or some plot hatched by the Skins' northern Virginia neighbor, the CIA.

Woodson spent all of last season on the Giants' practice squad and was among New York's final cuts this weekend. He knows all the plays and, even worse, all the audible calls.

Coughlin was blunt in saying it was obvious why Woodson was signed.

"I have been a part of it," Coughlin said Monday when asked whether he has ever signed a player released by a team he was about to play. "I have seen it done. A guy doesn't get in the door two seconds, and he is in a classroom being grilled."

The cloak and dagger decision will force the Giants to change some audible calls for Eli Manning, Coughlin said.

Giants backup quarterback David Carr smiled when asked about the signing, and acknowledged he sent a text message Woodson early Monday.

"Don't give out our secrets, Wood," Carr said. "That's what I told him. I haven't got a message back. I'm sure he is in meetings. I'm sure I'll hit him up this afternoon."

Carr then quipped he told Woodson that he didn't know any of the Giants' plays, anyway.

"We'll see how Woody handles it," Carr said. "I'm sure he'll handle it the right way. We'll find out early on if they know what is going on. I'm sure we'll have a plan. We're not going in there without having an answer for them knowing any of our checks, because we do do a lot of that stuff."

Standing in front of a locker that did not have his nameplate on Monday, Woodson said that he didn't hesitate to sign with the Skins after they called.

Washington's move, however, was suspicious.

When Chase Daniel was cut on Saturday, he said he was told he would get the quarterback spot on the practice squad if he cleared waivers. Instead, the Redskins went with Woodson. Daniel was signed to the Saints' practice squad.

While disappointed and frustrated, Woodson said he had no hard feelings toward the Giants. He also said he knows the Giants' playbook and realizes who is paying him now.

"I'm definitely a little bit familiar with it," he said. "Right now, anything to help the Redskins out, I'm willing to do."

Giants offensive tackle David Diehl said the move was part of the game.

"We're going to have to change a few things verbiage-wise, like we do each and every week," Diehl said. "We play this team two times a year and every time we play them we come up with little different things, a little different terminology to keep them on edge."

Defensive end Justin Tuck was coy at first when asked he if knew what the Giants' offense was going to run in training camp after hearing Manning bark out the same audible calls day after day.

Then he got serious.

"Think about it with our offense. We know what some words mean, but we don't know when it's a live word," Tuck said. "He can say (something) and tell everyone in the huddle to disregard it when he says it."

Manning downplayed the signing. He said the Redskins don't know what plays the Giants are running and that the audible calls - which can change a play entirely or the direction it is being run - might be hard to decipher.

"I don't know if they will be able to hear everything we're doing, and we're at home, so I'm not real concerned about it," Manning said.

The mystery will play out Sunday.

:giants:Giants defensive tackle Chris Canty brings can-do attitude to G-Men

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Giants defensive tackle Chris Canty is back in practice and looking to play on Sunday after spending the summer mending a torn hamstring.

Dickstein/Albany Times Union

Giants defensive tackle Chris Canty is back in practice and looking to play on Sunday after spending the summer mending a torn hamstring.

Chris Canty is well rested and even a little bit stronger than he usually is at this time of year. That's the benefit of not practicing and doing extra weight training for a month.

But the Giants defensive tackle has grown tired of doing all that while watching his teammates practice without him. So his return to the field Monday couldn't have come at a better time.

"I'm ready to roll," Canty said, after participating in team drills for the first time since he tore his hamstring on Aug. 7. "It's been a while. I'm really just ready to hit somebody. It's time."

Canty, who signed a six-year, $42 million contract on March 1 after four seasons with the Cowboys, didn't do much hitting in the Giants' short practice Monday, but he will get his chance Wednesday in a full-pads workout. And if he makes it through that OK, he thinks there's a chance he could play on Sunday when the Giants open the season at home against the Washington Redskins.

Tom Coughlin would only say, "We'll see," when asked about that possibility. The 6-7, 304-pound Canty sounded a little more optimistic.

"(I have to) really make sure that everything's OK downstairs with the leg, and if that's the case then I'm pretty sure we'll be able to go on Sunday," Canty said. "So far, so good. We're going to throw on some pads and bang around a little bit more (Wednesday), see how it feels, and hopefully it'll respond positively."

The return of Canty would be the final missing piece to the Giants' defensive line puzzle, which began the summer with so much promise before deteriorating into a mess of injuries. As deep as the unit looks on paper, it has not been that way on the field, especially when tackles Rocky Bernard (hamstring) and Fred Robbins (knee) were forced to miss the start of camp.

Both have been back at practice and in preseason games for several weeks, and Coughlin said they're no longer limited in what they can do.

"They're in there," Coughlin said. "They're full speed."

In fact, he said the only concern he had along the line was about Canty, even though three players - defensive ends Osi Umenyiora (knee) and Justin Tuck (foot) and defensive tackle Barry Cofield (knee) - have battled injuries, too.

Tuck said all those injuries were definitely a worry this summer.

"It's human nature to be a little concerned," he said. "You never know how guys are going to come back from injuries."

Canty alluded to that fact, too, especially since he had played end in a 3-4 defense his entire career and is now switching to tackle in a 4-3. He's studied the playbook, watched film, and been to all the meetings, but there's no doubt there's a price to pay for missing so much practice time.

"Absolutely I'm behind," Canty said. "You think about missing 20-some-odd practices, of course you're going to be behind. But the opportunities were there for me to watch film and study other guys and try to learn from other guys' mistakes and successes and try to improve my game mentally. I tried not to waste any time."

Starting Wednesday, he'll find out if all that work is about to pay off. He hasn't missed a regular season game in his four NFL seasons. And he doesn't plan on breaking that streak now.

"That's what they brought me here for. That's what I plan on doing," Canty said. "Feeling the way I'm feeling, I feel like I can participate and help the team. So I'll be out there."

:giants:Plenty of Meadowlands memories as Giants Stadium enters final season

BY Gary Myers

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, September 10th 2009, 4:00 AM

It was the site of The Fumble.

It's where the SpyGate scandal was uncovered.

It was the place where Jim Burt and Harry Carson started the sideline Gatorade dumping of Bill Parcells, prompting a national craze of dousing the winning coach after a big game that still exists.

The Jets had the Gate D flashers, playing in a stadium with another NFL team's name on it, the worst coach in franchise history - Rich Kotite - getting a beer bath from disgusted fans as he came off the field, the Monday Night Miracle and the Dennis Byrd Miracle.

The home of the Giants since 1976 and the Jets since 1984, The Swamp was the perfect place for fans, but not for the owners who are moving their teams a short punt away in the Meadowlands parking lot to a state-of-the-art $1.7 billion football palace with luxury boxes, club seats and PSLs, leaving behind many memories and too many loyal fans who could not afford the move.

"I have a lot of tremendous memories there," Parcells says. "A very large part of my career was spent there. There is a lot of nostalgia. But that is the way things are now. They are leveling those stadiums all over the country."

There was nothing distinctive about Giants Stadium, built for $78 million, other than great sightlines, a biting wind and the first football-only home for either team.

When Giants owner Wellington Mara signed a lease on Aug. 27, 1971 to move his team from Yankee Stadium across state lines, it angered many traditionalists, but changed everything about New York football. His friend Leon Hess, in search of cleaner bathrooms for his fans and tired of the Jets being second-class citizens to the Mets at Shea Stadium, joined Mara and the Giants eight years later.

Parcells spent 10 years with the Giants, two as an assistant and eight as the head coach. He won two Super Bowls and left after the second one following the 1990 season. He returned to the home sideline in 1997 when Hess engineered a brilliant move to bring him to the Jets from New England. In his second season, Parcells coached the Jets to within a victory of the Super Bowl.

But Parcells' top moment at Giants Stadium is not what you might think.

"For me, maybe knocking the 49ers out of the playoffs in 1985," he says of the Giants' wild-card round victory. "That was the first playoff win in Giants Stadium. That was pretty good. With the Jets, it was the day we beat Jacksonville in the playoffs (to advance to the AFC Championship game in the 1998 season) for Mr. Hess."

The stadium will join Shea and Yankee Stadium as the third in the metropolitan area to close in 14 months. It never had the aura of Yankee Stadium and never had the "it's a dump, but it's our dump" ambiance of Shea, but there's lots of history in Giants Stadium that can't be packed into boxes.

It had a cancer scare in the 1980s when four players in seven years were diagnosed and then one more 11 years later. Two of the players died - running backs Doug Kotar and John Tuggle - prompting a study commissioned by the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which concluded that there was no connection between Giants Stadium and cancer.

About 30 minutes before kickoff of the Giants' recent preseason game against the Jets, co-owner John Mara came off the field, walked through the tunnel and turned into the hallway near the Giants locker room. If anyone gets teary-eyed, it will be Mara.

"This stadium was his baby," Mara says of his late father Wellington. "He took a lot of abuse when we announced we were moving here in 1971. We've had a lot of great moments here. Super Bowl teams have played here. There is a lot of nostalgia every time I walk in here."

Charm? Personality? The dimensions for football fields are standard. There are no nooks or crannies. So unless there's a hole in the roof like at the old Texas Stadium, it's all about the teams.

The Jets never felt at home playing at Giants Stadium. That displaced feeling in part explains why the Jets are a game under .500 at home in a league in which home-field advantage usually is huge.

A few years ago, the Jets started putting up large team banners on the east and west side of the building right under the blue Giants Stadium signs and incurred the wrath of the Giants when they failed to follow the agreement and remove them in time after a home game. To try to make it feel like home, the Jets hang green bunting over the blue walls that separate the lower level from the playing field.

"It was our home," former Jets defensive lineman Joe Klecko says. "It was our fans."

Greg Buttle, who played only the final year of his nine seasons with the Jets at the Meadowlands, didn't mind the stadium, but hated the commute. "It was miserable," he says of the drive from Long Island to East Rutherford. "You get on the Cross Bronx and it was three hours on a Saturday night. Everyone was late to the hotel. It was pathetic. I became the human GPS system. I knew every shortcut."

Last season, the Jets moved their headquarters from Hofstra in Hempstead to a beautiful $75 million complex in Florham Park.

Lawrence Taylor used to say - only half-jokingly - that Jets fans were Giants fans who couldn't get season tickets. But the Jets had a fan base that followed them across the Hudson River. "I always felt at home playing there because our fans were there," Buttle says. "I'm not sitting there looking at a Giants sign. I just didn't like the travel over there. That's why I hated it. Of course, we had cleaner bathrooms, but at that point it didn't matter."

The Jets fans, while always loyal, had their share of infamy in their adopted digs.

Whether chanting "Joe Must Go," encouraging management to fire Joe Walton, which it did after the 1989 season, or burning seats in the upper deck during a 1988 Monday night game against Buffalo, Gang Green's faithful pressed the limits of acceptable fandom. The worst of it may have been a long-time tradition on the spiral ramps near Gate D, where hundreds of - usually drunk - male fans congregated and harangued female fans who passed by to expose their breasts. Some of the women played to the crowd and complied; others lodged complaints that - after a thorough flogging of the stadium's lack of security in the media - led to the end of the lewd legacy.

The Giants Stadium press room during the week was down the hall from the locker rooms and had no windows, leading to it being dubbed "The Dungeon" by writers who spent hours down there, unaware of whether the sun was shining or a hurricane was blowing through Northern Jersey. It became the scene of the most memorable press conference ever, spawned, in part, by arguably the worst moments in Giants history.

On Nov. 18, 1978, Joe Pisarcik tried to hand the ball off to Larry Csonka instead of taking a knee to run out the clock against the Eagles. Herm Edwards scooped up The Fumble and ran it in for the winning TD. The next day, Bob Gibson was fired as Giants offensive coordinator. After the disappointing 6-10 season sputtered to a close, John McVay was fired as coach, and director of football operations Andy Robustelli resigned.

Wellington Mara and co-owner Tim Mara didn't have much use for each other and could not agree on a replacement for Robustelli, which led to the NFL version of The War of the Roses. On Feb. 8, 1979, the Maras held dueling press conferences in The Dungeon, airing out the team's dirty laundry while tearing each other apart. That prompted commissioner Pete Rozelle to step in days later and recommend George Young for Robustelli's gig. Young went on to help engineer the team that won the franchise's first Super Bowl seven years later.

After beating the Redskins in the NFC title game en route to that maiden Super Bowl title, the Giants ran off the field through the west end zone, the same one that the Rams' Flipper Anderson would sprint through when he broke the Giants' hearts in the 1989 playoffs. It's the end zone where legend has it Jimmy Hoffa is buried.

The most intimidating person at the stadium was not the ghost of Hoffa, Joe Klecko or Taylor, though.

It was Mother Nature.

"In December, when you had teams from the West Coast come in, that could be a difference-maker," Carson said. "When we beat the Redskins to get to the Super Bowl, we were all one: the team, the fans and the stadium."

Giants punter Sean Landeta remembers practicing in the stadium to get acclimated to the conditions. "There were leaves or strips of paper airborne blowing in a circle, three or four feet off the ground," he said. "It was almost like magic."

Nothing was as magical as Dennis Byrd's return to the Meadowlands.

On Nov. 29, 1992, Byrd's head collided full force with the chest of teammate Scott Mersereau after Chiefs quarterback Dave Krieg stepped up in the pocket. A hush went over the stadium as Jets medical personnel rushed onto the field.

Byrd suffered a broken vertebrae in his neck and was paralyzed from the waist down. It was feared he would never walk again. Team orthopedist Dr. Elliott Hershman helped stabilize Byrd on the field, which was crucial as Byrd eventually regained the use of his legs in the hospital.

Less than a year later, on Opening Day of the 1993 season, Byrd walked unassisted to midfield. There were tears on the sidelines and in the stands as Byrd received one of the largest ovations in the stadium's history.

Hershman recently was asked, as he looked through the tunnel that Byrd came through that September day 16 years ago, if he will always think of the Jets when he thinks of Giants Stadium.

"I look out and think of a lot of the injuries I've taken care of on the field in different spots," he said. "Dennis, of course, being the most dramatic and having the greatest feeling about the outcome."

2009 Giants: Position by position

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, September 10th 2009, 4:00 AM

Breaking down the 2009 Giants:

QUARTERBACK

For $106.9 million, the Giants better get a player who can raise the level of play of those around him. Eli Manning couldn't do that down the stretch last year without Plaxico Burress. Now he has no choice. David Carr had an erratic summer, but the Giants say he'd be fine in a short stretch.

RUNNING BACK

Derrick Ward is gone, but as long as big Brandon Jacobs is there, the Giants rushing game will be dangerous. Some think Ahmad Bradshaw will be better than Ward. First, he needs to prove he can carry a bigger workload.

WIDE RECEIVER

This may be a work in progress all year. Steve Smith and Domenik Hixon will likely be solid players. The breakout potential seems to be with Mario Manningham and rookie Hakeem Nicks.

TIGHT END

Kevin Boss has come into his own as a receiver and could see an increase in his catches this year. Given his height and the short receiving corps, he could become a valuable red-zone target, too.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Still one of the best in the NFL when healthy, but G Rich Seubert (shoulder) and G Chris Snee (knee) battled injuries all summer. RT Kareem McKenzie has back issues.

DEFENSIVE LINE

This was supposed to be the centerpiece of their rebuilding project, a deep and dangerous rotation. While the ends - Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka and Osi Umenyiora - could be scary, they are thin at tackle.

LINEBACKERS

This unit will look better if speedy Michael Boley is healthy when he returns from his one-game suspension. Danny Clark is solid on the strong side and rookie Clint Sintim looks like he could be a dangerous pass rusher. Antonio Pierce needs to be better than he was down the stretch last year.

SECONDARY

They are young, deep and talented even if CB Aaron Ross (hamstring) is hurting. Corey Webster is nearing Pro Bowl level and nickelback Terrell Thomas could be a strong starter in place of Ross. S Kenny Phillips has the potential to be a big playmaker.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Lawrence Tynes is back in the place-kicking role. He's tinkered with his mechanics, hoping for a little more distance and consistency. P Jeff Feagles, 43, is still one of the best and most consistent in the game.

COACHING

Tom Coughlin's coordinators will be under scrutiny this season. Bill Sheridan has already gotten off to a bumpy start and the new defensive coordinator has a lot to live up to following Steve Spagnuolo. Kevin Gilbride's offense couldn't adjust to life without Plaxico last year. Now he's had nine months to prepare.

PREDICTION

10-6.

Washington at N.Y. Giants, 4:15 ET

NFL ON FOX PREVIEW

WHAT TO WATCH FOR: This could be a slugfest unless the Redskins decide to open it up; Bombs over Baghdad, as Clinton Portis would say. The Redskins didn't score 30 points once last season and averaged just 14 over their final eight games. The key is how productive new starting WR Malcolm Kelly, all 6-foot-4 of him, is against a beat-up New York secondary. Aaron Ross is out and Kevin Dockery (hamstring) may be too gimpy to play. Rookie Bruce Johnson will play a lot and Redskins QB Jason Campbell must take advantage of him. Campbell passed for 365 yards in the two New York games, but the offense scored just 14 points.

Portis ran for 84 yards in the season-opening loss to the Giants last year, but Washington was 6-1 in games in which he rushed for at least 85 yards. No secret what the Giants are going to do. They will come out and test big Albert Haynesworth with Brandon Jacobs and new sidekick, Ahmad Bradshaw. The Giants plan to use some no-huddle offense to keep Big Albert puffing, and Corey Webster figures to isolate on Redskins WR Santana Moss. Chase Blackburn starts at weak-side linebacker for suspended Michael Boley.

CZAR'S SCOOP: Campbell is well-liked by his teammates, but owner Dan Snyder wanted to trade for Jay Cutler and also tried to acquire Mark Sanchez in the April draft. "It's a new beginning," Campbell said. "Another year in the system gives me a little leeway just to go out and play freely. We've been working together now for [more than] a year and we expect more out of ourselves."

There is enormous pressure on both Campbell and his head coach, Jim Zorn, to win this season. If they don't, Snyder is expected to make a coaching change. Whether he can find another quarterback, though, is another question.

After a fine training camp, rookie Ramses Barden probably will be the fifth or sixth receiver today for the Giants. In fact, the Giants are hoping to use Hakeem Hicks and Mario Manningham a lot in a rotation with starters Steve Smith and Dominik Hixon. Eventually, Hixon could be the odd receiver out.

With New York entering the season a bit unsettled at wide receiver, quarterback Eli Manning needs to be able to lean upon his steady, third-year tight end. Fortunately, Kevin Boss is up to the task.

"Our relationship and chemistry on the field has definitely grown every year, and we're continuing to get more comfortable with each other," Boss told me this week. "I think he's starting to be able to read my mind, what I'm thinking, and we're saying the same thing. I think we're more on the same page."

After primarily playing a blocking role during his rookie season, Boss stepped up as the team's No. 1 tight end last year, making 33 catches for 384 yards and scoring six touchdowns. But as he heads into this weekend's matchup against the Washington Redskins, the 6-foot-6, 253-pound player isn't too concerned about his stats.

"Most importantly, I want to win. That's the No. 1 thing I want to do, whatever it takes to help this team win and help get us back to a Super Bowl," Boss said. "If that takes catching 60 balls, that'd be great. If it takes catching 35 or 40 and we're still winning, that's fine by me."

Giants' D will buy the offense time to grow

September 13, 2009 10:45 PM

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Dressed in a pink golf shirt and brown linen pants, Justin Tuck stood in front of his locker Sunday evening and proclaimed that teammate Osi Umenyiora is "the prettiest defensive lineman ever."

Tuck said he based his comment on the fact that Umenyiora keeps his uniform clean no matter the conditions, pointing to the 2007 London Bowl as Exhibit A. On Sunday at Giants Stadium, Umenyiora used his knack for rarely ending up on the ground to tip the ball away from Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell, scoop it off the ground and race 37 yards for a touchdown. The score put the Giants up 17-0 and sent a clear signal that this defensive line is poised to return to its past glory -- otherwise known as the 2007 postseason.

"He's the best in the league at getting sacks without going to the ground," Tuck said of Umenyiora following the Giants' 23-17 win. "Now, I'm hoping people watch this film and focus on No. 72 and just leave me alone."

After the game, a few members of the Giants' defense dumped cold water on new defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan, the same man whose criticism of Umenyiora caused the player to stage a brief but costly preseason walkout. Some wondered how the transition from the exuberant Steve Spagnuolo to the taskmaster Sheridan would go, but for one afternoon this defense looked pretty familiar.

"It's tough to succeed a guy like Spags," Tuck said. "He was a crowd favorite and the leader of a Super Bowl championship defense, but [sheridan's] doing a nice job."

Redskins running back Clinton Portis broke off a 34-yard gain on the first play from scrimmage, but the Giants' defense made sure that wasn't going to set the tone. The Redskins only managed 51 yards rushing on their next 20 carries. And without the help of a running game, quarterback Jason Campbell was under siege the rest of the day. Late in the third quarter, Redskins safety LaRon Landry made a diving play to tip a pass away from Steve Smith, and DeAngelo Hall made the interception and returned it to the Giants' 12-yard line.

That's when the Giants' defensive line flexed its muscles. On first down, Tuck dropped Portis for a 6-yard loss. And on third-and-6 at the 7-yard line, Tuck used an outside move to sack Campbell and force a short field goal. Defensive tackle Chris Canty, who had missed all four preseason games with a torn hamstring, came flying up the middle to help collapse the pocket on the play.

It was obvious the Giants had too much firepower up front for the Redskins' offensive line to handle. Canty and another defensive tackle signed in free agency, Rocky Bernard, controlled the running game in the second half. And those fresh bodies across the defensive line had a lot to do with Tuck and Umenyiora combining for 2.5 sacks. Late in the 2008 season, I remember seeing Tuck and his teammates down on one knee between plays. On Sunday, some of the linemen were hopping around between plays, trying to whip up the crowd noise. Umenyiora said he had missed the competition.

"I can't even explain it to you," he said. "Sometimes when you're out there all the time, you kind of forget what it feels like to not be out there. Last year, I missed it and I'm happy I was able to come back this year."

As I've written several times, too many people tried to blame last season's December and January collapse on the absence of Plaxico Burress. He was certainly a vital part of the offense, but the lifeblood of this team is its defensive line. Quarterback Eli Manning fumbled once and threw an interception Sunday, but the Giants' defense gives him more margin for error than most quarterbacks. That will allow young playmakers such as Mario Manningham and Hakeem Nicks time to develop without feeling like the whole season hinges on them. Third-year wide receiver Steve Smith made several clutch plays Sunday, including an acrobatic 26-yard grab on third-and-5 midway through the fourth quarter.The Giants had a 20-10 lead at the time, and the catch by Smith pretty much ended any hopes of a Redskins comeback.

Manningham scored the first touchdown of his NFL career early in the second quarter when he took a short pass from Manning and then made three players miss on his way to a 30-yard touchdown. It has to give Manning confidence that his receivers made plays against a pretty talented secondary.

"Really, the touchdown pass was all him," Manning said of Manningham. "I checked to the play, it didn't work as planned, but he improvised and it turned out well. He made a guy miss and got the touchdown. I thought all the receivers played really well."

In what seemed like a head-scratching move, Tom Coughlin suited up six wide receivers and only three cornerbacks. But perhaps it was his confidence in the defensive front that made him comfortable with that decision. For the Giants to have a chance of returning to the Super Bowl, the defense will have to lead the way. On Sunday, that unit was up to the task.

Now, let's take a look at some of the other major storylines from Sunday's game:

Campbell was particularly upset about his fumble late in the first half: I spoke to Campbell for a few minutes after the game and there were two plays he definitely wanted back. On the fumble that Umenyiora returned for a touchdown, Campbell said he was in the process of checking down to one of his running backs when he felt the ball poked away. He said he was upset because he didn't sense that anyone was around him.

"It was a play where we were trying to get a down-the-field shot and the defense took it away, so by the time I'm trying to wait for my pass and get out so I can hit my check-down, they made a great play on the ball," Campbell said. "I guess as the quarterback, you just have to feel it a little bit more and slide up in the pocket and prevent that."

Campbell also was upset with himself that he checked into a running play on a third-and-8 in the second half. He said he lost track of how many yards the Redskins needed and that he should have checked into a pass play.

Is it just me or was Albert Haynesworth not that impressive? He was officially credited with four tackles, but I didn't feel like Haynesworth had a major impact. Manning had a lot of time in the pocket, and I didn't see Haynesworth getting a ton of penetration against the run. He also got dinged up a couple times and had to leave the field. He looked like a player who was not in great condition. Maybe it had a lot to do with the Giants double-teaming him, but for $41 million guaranteed, I wouldn't mind seeing a little more production. The Giants converted way too many third-and-longs. The Redskins caused turnovers and had a tremendous goal-line stand in the first half, but you have to seize those momentum plays and the Redskins didn't. I thought London Fletcher was outstanding.

Brandon Jacobs doesn't see the wisdom in the Cowboys wanting to host the Giants in the first regular-season game at Cowboys Stadium: "They should've put Detriot in there instead of us," Jacobs told me as he left the stadium Sunday evening.

Link PLUS VIDEO

Former Cowboy Chris Canty ready to face former team as member of Giants

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The word "hate" is thrown around often between the Giants and the Cowboys. Linebacker DeMarcus Ware used it Tuesday in Dallas; so did receiver Patrick Crayton. Justin Tuck and Brandon Jacobs have said it before, too. That's why the hitting between these two rivals can be so ferocious, so personal.

So how in the world is Chris Canty supposed to just switch sides?

The ex-Cowboy defensive lineman, who signed a six-year, $42 million contract with the Giants in March, will have to do that Sunday night when he turns colors in one of the NFL's fiercest rivalries. He insisted on Monday that he feels "no anger" toward his old team.

But if he wants to be a factor in this game, that feeling will have to change. "I'm going to find some stuff about him and Dallas and make sure he's one (ticked) off man," said Antonio Pierce. "That's my No. 1 goal this week."

Pierce didn't offer specifics, but the laid-back Canty didn't sound like a man who would be easy to anger. The 26-year-old Canty, a Bronx native, spoke calmly about his four seasons in Dallas, and the only hint that he was looking forward to the game came in the sly smile that accompanied his non-threatening answers. Still, looking forward to the game is one thing. But how can he build up the "hate" that the Giants have toward the Cowboys - his friends and former teammates? "Well, you know, I know a lot of guys here now," Canty said. "This is my new team. We're a band of brothers and we go out and fight for each other. You fight for the guy next to you. When you have that kind of mind-set when you go into a game like this. You have to stick together."

For a while, it looked like Canty might not even have a chance to stick together with his new teammates this Sunday night, when his old team opens its brand new, billion-dollar palace/stadium. A torn hamstring kept him out from Aug. 7 until Sept. 7 before he was finally able to get in a full week of practice. He played approximately 25 plays in the Giants' season-opening win over the Redskins, with all but one at defensive tackle, and he said after the game "It felt like I played 50....I was a little gassed."

It won't get any easier Sunday night against a much more potent offense and a much more mobile quarterback in Tony Romo. It won't help that the offensive line Canty used to practice against will now hit him like he's the enemy.

Friendship is one thing, but Canty took the money and the opportunity and changed sides in this fight. Even if he's not angry enough yet to hate the Cowboys, it's a good bet they'll be angry enough with him. "It's going to be intense," Canty said. "It's going to be a great atmosphere for football. It's not going to be an atmosphere for the meek or mild. I think any great competitor looks forward to it, and I'm really looking forward to this one."

Nephew sends Webster the right message

Mild-mannered CB Corey Webster got into a slap-fight with Redskins WR Santana Moss early in the second quarter on Sunday that earned him a personal foul penalty and a scolding - and not from Tom Coughlin, either.

When he got to the locker room, Webster checked his phone and saw a text from the father of his 4-year-old nephew that read: "Your nephew wants to talk to you about the fight."

"You never want to display nothing like that on the field," Webster said. "I don't know how everybody else feels, but I have a little boy that's four, my nephew that's four and my nephew called me up and said 'That's not right.' So I had to have a conversation with him when he gets off from school. It's like he's the parent. He's trying to tell me it's not right."

Webster said he didn't want to fight, but Moss came after him and "I've got to protect myself eventually." Still, he was embarrassed at the message his actions sent to kids.

"That didn't look good," Webster said. "I understand."

NICKED UP: All that excitement about WR Hakeem Nicks, only to see him sprain his foot and lose the next 2-3weeks of his rookie season. It was a stark reminder that things rarely go smoothly for Giants rookie receivers. The Giants haven't had much luck with rookie wideouts since Lionel Manuel and Bobby Johnson lit things up in 1984.

TUCK RULES: Tuck was named the NFC's Defensive Player of the Week. He had five tackles, 1-1/2 sacks and three quarterback hits against the Skins. ... The Giants filled the void left by RB Danny Ware's elbow injury by claiming RB Gartrell Johnson off waivers. Johnson (5-11, 218), who played at Colorado State, was the Chargers' fourth-round pick. The Giants had worked out several RBs, including former Eagle Lorenzo Booker and veteran T.J. Duckett. ....LB Michael Boley was reinstated after one week on the suspended list. ...The Giants cut OL Tutan Reyes and DT Leger Douzable and released RB Allen Patrick, CB DeAndre Wright and TE Kareem Brown from the practice squad. They were replaced by TE Bear Pascoe and DB Michael Coe.

Brandon Jacobs' blood boils over as Giants prepare for Cowboys

BY Ohm Youngmisuk

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, September 17th 2009, 4:00 AM

It is Dallas week, which means Brandon Jacobs gets to talk about his hatred for all things Cowboy.

Wednesday, the Giants running back reiterated his dislike of Dallas and explained why he doesn't like the NFC East rival.

"Well, the reason I hate the Cowboys so much - I am going to put me in this, I am going to take my team out of this - is because they have so many fans," Jacobs said Wednesday. "Everywhere you go someone is always saying, 'Big D! Go Big D!' I don't want to hear that (stuff). That's what makes me hate them."

Unfortunately for Jacobs, the Giants running back will see and hear more Cowboys fans than ever on Sunday night when the Giants visit Jerry Jones' new palace. The Cowboys hope to pack in 100,000 or more for their first game at Cowboys Stadium.

Jacobs and the Giants would love nothing more than to spoil the biggest party in Texas and hear what it's like to silence 100,000 fans.

"Dallas doesn't like us, and a couple of guys on their team made that pretty clear earlier in the week," Jacobs said. "We have guys in this locker room who are going to make that clear as well. We don't like each other. It's a rivalry that has been going for a long time and I am really excited to be a part of it."

The Giants last played in Dallas in December when they were soundly beaten, 20-8, in a game without an injured Jacobs. The Giants' banged up offensive line surrendered eight sacks in that game.

The Giants' offensive linemen remember that ugly outing and are coming off a game in which Jacobs gained only 46 yards rushing on 16 carries last Sunday. Ahmad Bradshaw did add 60 yards rushing against Washington's monster defensive front featuring Albert Haynesworth.

Also, the Giants needed two yards or fewer for a first down seven times against the Redskins and managed only two first downs.

Jacobs, 27, is eager to get a crack at the Cowboys defense and if he gets some more short-yardage situations, he says the Giants' offensive line will be ready to convert. Of course, Jacobs knows during those moments he may hear something he hates more than anything in the world - 100,000 Cowboys fans screaming at him.

"We went down there once before and played. I know Texas Stadium didn't hold 100 (thousand)," Jacobs said. "(But) they can't play out on the field, so it doesn't matter how many they hold. We have to go in there and hold strong and don't break."

Giants wary of Cowboys' offense as they head into week two in Dallas

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, September 17th 2009, 4:00 AM

Related News

The big mouth may be gone from the Dallas Cowboys' offense, but the big play is obviously still there.

That's what jumped out at the Giants Wednesday, when they got their first look on film at the new-look Cowboys. Terrell Owens and his popcorn may be in Buffalo, but what he left behind in Dallas was enough to light up the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for 462 yards last Sunday. That includes four plays that accounted for 232 of those yards.

And the Giants just know the 'Boys plan to dial up a few more big plays for the big opening of their new, palatial, $1.15 billion home.

"Obviously Dallas displayed its big-play ability," Tom Coughlin said. "You look at the big-play production, all the way along. They had an 80-, a 66-, a 42-yarder. The ball was spread around. A lot of people touched the ball."

"They had 400-something total yards as an offense," added linebacker Danny Clark. "At the end of the day, we know it's going to be a big challenge."

Whatever the reason, Tony Romo seemed to have little trouble without Owens - who for all the problems he caused still had three seasons of at least 69 catches, 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns in Dallas. Romo, who completed 16 of 27 passes, ripped the Bucs' defense for 353 yards and three touchdowns. He hit six different receivers, and the Cowboys rattled off six plays of 20 yards or more.

That included a 42-yard touchdown pass to Miles Austin, a 66-yard touchdown pass to Roy Williams, an 80-yard touchdown pass to Patrick Crayton, and a 44-yard pass to Crayton to set up a fourth-quarter touchdown.

Since he usually does a number on the Giants' defense anyway - Romo is 89-for- 141, 1,370 yards, 12 touchdowns and seven interceptions in five career games against Big Blue - that explosiveness is obviously the Giants' No. 1 concern. But they're not panicked about it because they played pretty well against the Redskins on Sunday, holding them to just 187 passing yards.

Also, when they watched the film of the Cowboys' breakout performance, they saw that most of the big plays were the fault of the Bucs.

"They got a lot of big plays from a lot of different people and they threw the ball all over the park," said cornerback Corey Webster. "But on a lot of the big plays it looked like they busted the coverage. It wasn't nothing they did physically. It was just a busted coverage. So we've just got to be cognizant of where their playmakers are on the field at all times."

That starts with their new 1-2 punch at receiver - Williams and Crayton - who combined for 221 yards on seven catches and one touchdown (Crayton caught four passes for 135 yards). Those two, along with Austin, could put a strain on the Giants' banged up secondary which is still missing starting corner Aaron Ross (hamstring). The Giants could also be missing nickel corner Kevin Dockery (hamstring) and were without both starting safeties - Kenny Phillips (knee) and Michael Johnson (shoulder) - in practice Wednesday.

The Giants are hopeful that all but Ross will play on Sunday, which is good since they'll need more than a strong pass rush to contain Romo. The Giants don't sack him often (nine times in five games), and the pressure rarely rattles him since he's so good at throwing on the run.

That means the Cowboys will have the opportunity to stretch the Giants' secondary.

"It's all about knowing your keys, knowing your reads and making sure everyone is on the same page," said defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka. "These defenses are set up to win every play. If everybody does what they're supposed to do you should be able to eliminate big plays like that."

Canty to miss Cowboys game; secondary up in air

Associated Press

add this RSS email print

Updated: September 18, 2009, 4:33 PM EDT

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -

New York Giants defensive tackle Chris Canty will be on the sidelines when he returns to Dallas this weekend.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Friday that Canty missed practice again with a calf injury and has been ruled out for Sunday night's game against the Cowboys.

Canty, who left Dallas to sign with New York as a free agent, got hurt in practice Wednesday.

Coughlin also said starting safety Kenny Phillips (knee) and cornerback Kevin Dockery (hamstring) sat out Friday's practice. Phillips had returned on a limited basis Thursday after sitting out, while Dockery had been practicing on a limited basis.

Linebacker Michael Boley (hip), who had been limited in practice this week, participated fully on Friday and was listed as probable for Sunday.

GIANTS AT COWBOYS, At Cowboys Stadium, 8 p.m.

VITALS

THE LINE: Cowboys by 3

TV: Ch 4 (Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth)

RADIO: WFAN-660 AM (Bob Papa, Carl Banks), Nationwide on Westwood One (Dave Sims, James Lofton)

FORECAST: The roof will be open to partly cloudy skies and 80 degree temperatures with negligible winds.

INJURY IMPACT

Giants CB Aaron Ross will miss his second straight game with a hamstring. Safeties Kenny Phillips (knee) and Michael Johnson (shoulder) missed some practice time but will play. CB Kevin Dockery (hamstring) returns after missing last week. Ex-Cowboy Chris Canty will miss the game with a calf injury but the Giants have enough depth on the D-line to sustain his absence. For the Cowboys, RB Felix Jones (quad), QB Tony Romo (ankle) and SS Gerald Sensabaugh (rib) all look ready to go after a smooth week of practice. Jones missed both games against the Giants as a rookie.

FEATURE MATCHUPS

RB Brandon Jacobs vs. LB Bradie James: Jacobs was out of the lineup in last year's 20-8 loss at Texas Stadium, and, without a running game, Eli Manning was at the receiving end of eight sacks. Conversely, the back had 17 carries for 117 yards in the Giants' 35-14 home win. As Jacobs goes, so goes the offense. The Cowboys run defense wasn't good against the Bucs, who averaged 5.6 yards per carry and controlled the ball for seven minutes more than the Boys. James is rangy and quick but needs to be shielded by relentless NT Jay Ratliff.

QB Tony Romo vs. Giants secondary: Romo is coming off a career-high 353-yards passing in Tampa, where his receivers were running free all day. He's not likely to have the time to complete all the big passes he did last week, but he will be facing a secondary depleted by injury, particularly at the safety position. Romo has been at his best against the Giants when he's out of the pocket and that will be especially true today with the size of his receivers. The Giants will need to bring pressure up the middle so we are likely to see a lot of games from the D-line.

SCOUT SAYS

"Eli (Manning) will not be able to attack that familiar weak spot at strong safety. Gerald Sensabaugh is a big upgrade in coverage over Roy Williams. DeMarcus Ware went without a sack last week but David Diehl will need help against him Sunday. As easy as Romo had it last week, he's going to need to run a balanced attack and the Cowboys' backfield is one of the best in the league. They have to stay patient with the run and take their chances when they get them downfield. The Giants will get to him if he has to drop back often. Osi Umenyiora should eat up the slowish Flozell Adams. As usual, TE Jason Witten is going to be a handful for the Giants, particularly with their safety issues."

INTANGIBLES

It's the grand opening of Jerry Jones' palace, obtrusive scoreboard and all. The atmosphere couldn't be better for the Cowboys, who rang up 45 and 41 points in their last two home openers. While the Giants have become one of the best road teams in the NFL, they dropped their final two regular-season games in Irving. Some of the Giants feel insulted they were picked as the inaugural opponents and if they get things rolling, the silence of 105,000 fans could be deafening. It's a huge NFC East battle with bitter feelings - especially with Donovan McNabb banged up for the Eagles - and it could set the tone for the entire season.

PREDICTION

Cowboys 28-24: Emotion, emotion, emotion.

- Hank Gola

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2009/09/19/2009-09-19_giants_heading_to_dallas.html#ixzz0Re4ccHpI

Giants heading to Dallas looking to trash new Cowboys Stadium

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, September 19th 2009, 6:17 PM

ARLINGTON, Texas - There should be nearly 110,000 people partying Sunday night inside Jerry Jones' sparkling, new, $1.2 billion palace. There'll be pre-game hoopla, flashes popping everywhere, and Jones beaming on the sidelines like a proud papa.

It won't be just a game, when they open Cowboys Stadium Sunday night. It'll be an event. A Texas-sized happening. It should be quite a party, too.

And yes, the Giants would love to put a damper on the hated Cowboys' homecoming parade.

"In a way it is that type of (homecoming) scenario," said Giants defensive end Justin Tuck. "So we do have that type of spoiler mentality, if you want to call it that."

Call it whatever you want, but when the Giants (1-0) take on the Cowboys (1-0) tonight, they're not interested in any of the stadium-related fun. These two teams "hate" each other, as a half-dozen of them said during the past week. And as usual, according to Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, "We're going down there for an all-out war."

They might get one, too, and not just because the Cowboys are fired up over their new home. The ‘Boys seem liberated now that the mouthy Terrell Owens has been exorcised from their locker room. With some new-found freedom, Dallas quarterback Tony Romo spread the ball around to six different receivers last Sunday in a 34-21 win in Tampa Bay.

The result: A 353-yard passing performance by quarterback Tony Romo, and 462 total yards.

"Obviously (Owens) is a spectacular player that you had to account for on every single play," said Giants defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan. "But they have other really good players. They're loaded. Their offensive line is fantastic, let alone their quarterback, let alone all their perimeter players. You look at them on film and you don't say any of them are ‘just guys'. They're all quality athletes (and) playmakers. Our guys won't be caught off guard. They know what they're in for."

What they are likely in for is a shootout. The Cowboys are obviously capable, with a pair of receivers (Roy Williams, Patrick Crayton) that accounted for 221 passing yards last week. In fact, the Cowboys' big-play passing game produced 232 yards on four passes alone.

The Giants - who are kicking off a rare, three-game road trip that also takes them through Tampa Bay and Kansas City - weren't that explosive against the Redskins (351 total yards). But the Redskins' defense was pretty strong, and the Cowboys' defense didn't look so tough against the Buccaneers last weekend. The Giants have definitely taken note of the Bucs' 450 total yards against Dallas, especially their unexpected 174 on the ground (5.6 yards per carry).

Kevin Gilbride, the Giants' offensive coordinator, analyzed that game and said "the heat factor (in Tampa) had a lot to do with it, and they were able to go no-huddle and exploit it. Unfortunately, those things won't be available (to the Giants)." As much as the Giants might like to run a little no-huddle to keep the Cowboys off balance, that's probably not a good strategy with 110,000 screaming fans.

"We went down there before and played," Jacobs said. "I know Texas Stadium didn't hold 100 (thousand). But they can't play out on the field, so it doesn't matter how many they hold. We have to go in there and hold strong and don't break."

That's exactly what happened the last time the Giants went to Dallas - last Dec. 14 when they lost 20-8. The offense, without Jacobs (who was out with a knee injury), was limited to two field goals, mostly because the banged-up offensive line allowed Eli Manning to get sacked eight times.

"The kind of group we have in this locker room, they won't let that happen twice," Jacobs said. "This is a better team. We know what we've got to do."

The task is always the same against the Cowboys: Stop that high-powered offense, led by Tony Romo, who has been remarkably successful against the Giants. In five career games against New York, Romo has completed 63.1 percent of his passes (89 for 141) for 1,370 yards, with 12 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Obviously, he had no problems in his first game without Owens last Sunday. It helps him that the Giants' defense has to contend with the 1-2 running back punch of Marion Barber and Felix Jones, too.

It's more than that, though, against Dallas. It's a fierce and punishing physical game, in which both teams try to take out their frustrations on their most bitter rivals.

"As far as an on-field rivalry, it has to be one of the most intense," Tuck said. "I'm going to say it like I said it last year, they hate us and we hate them. That's how it is."

Add in 110,000 Cowboys fans who feel the same way and you the makings for a Sunday night party, and this has the potential to be even more intense than usual.

"There will be a big crowd (and it'll) be very noisy," Tom Coughlin said. "But we have been in big crowds and noisy places before."

"We know we're going to circle the wagons and keep our guys together," added linebacker Danny Clark. "And know it's us against the world."

i

Tuck calls Adams' trip 'bush'

Comment Email Print Share

ESPN.com news services

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants are a little miffed at Dallas Cowboys' offensive tackle Flozell Adams.

Adams stuck out his leg and tripped Pro Bowl defensive end Justin Tuck in the first half of Sunday night's game, causing Tuck to suffer an injury to his left shoulder. It knocked him out of the nationally televised contest.

Adams was penalized for tripping on the play, but that didn't stop Tuck from call the kick a "bush" move.

"It's something he always does and he gets away with it and he continues to do it," Tuck said.

Fellow defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka said a lot of the Giants players were talking about it on Monday.

"From being out there and seeing the quick replays, it looked like a pretty bad play," Kiwanuka said. "Guys get beat and they have to do anything to save their quarterback, but that is not an excuse."

Kiwanuka is sensitive about what he considers dirty plays. He hurt his ankle in the season opener last season when Washington Redskins tackle Chris Samuels fell on the back of it after being beaten on a pass rush on the final play of the game.

Kiwanuka didn't hesitate to call that a dirty play, and he cut Adams no slack on Monday.

"This is the NFL," Kiwanuka said. "People put their careers on the line everyday, in every practice, in every game. You don't want to risk somebody getting hurt off something cheap like that. You understand that they have a job to protect their quarterback, but there are rules in a game for a reason."

Tuck underwent tests on his shoulder on Monday. Coach Tom Coughlin did not have the results when he spoke to the media.

Tuck said he expects to play this weekend when the Giants travel to Tampa, Fla. to play the Buccaneers.

Coughlin was not so sure.

"Anytime you have a player of that caliber that can't finish a game, I would think that something is going on there that is preventing him from continuing," he said. "And as I said, we'll just have to wait and see."

Adams downplayed the incident, asking what does "bush" mean?

"I never heard of that before. I'm curious. What is it?" Adams said.

When told that bush is slang for a dirty play, Adams said he did not know that Tuck was hurt.

"A shoulder injury?" Adams said. "From a supposed kick? Tell him to stay up. It ain't my fault."

Giants' starting receiver Domenik Hixon also underwent tests for a sprained knee sustained against the Cowboys.

Coughlin had no immediate update on cornerbacks Aaron Ross (hamstring) and Kevin Dockery (hamstring) and defensive tackle Chris Canty (calf), who all missed Sunday's game.