SportsWrath

Undrafted Free Agents on the Giants' roster

BleedinBlue

The list of UFA's coming to Giants camp is up to 15 as of today.

I've been reading up on some of the undrafted free agents to see what's cooking on the Giants roster. The last player picked up today was Tremaine Goddard - a strong safety out of North Carolina. I was reading the Redskins board and went back over their draft chatter and several of the fans were begging for them to draft Goddard and one of the fans who followed NC closely said he reminded him so much of Sean Taylor.

No offense, Bleed. But the person who made those comments either has a very low IQ, or is smoking some really strong crack. Sean Taylor was well on his way in becoming one of the greatest safeties to ever play the game. Goddard...not so much. He probably wasn't the best safety on his team.

No offense, Bleed. But the person who made those comments either has a very low IQ, or is smoking some really strong crack. Sean Taylor was well on his way in becoming one of the greatest safeties to ever play the game. Goddard...not so much. He probably wasn't the best safety on his team.

Not at all offended and agree 100%. It's a ridiculous comment by a psyched out fan on draft day. I don't follow the Redskins that closely and I suspect they were simply anxious for a safety and he was the highest one on the board during the second half of the draft. There's no way he's the second coming of Taylor or he would have been off the board in the top 5 picks. And I agree....Taylor was headed for the HOF had he not been killed at such a young age. But I have read he was the best DB on the North Carolina team though, but that's not necessarily saying much. Being teammates with Nicks might have influenced this decision some....who knows.

I just thought it was funny reading posts from other fans and thought I'd share the comments. Hell...he probably won't even make the team....but you never know. Seeing that we've signed 4 safeties since the draft I have to think one of them will stick...at least on the practice team for now. It's just a matter of which one shows he has the real NFL stuff during camp.

Here's his scouting report:

2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

Trimane Goddard, SS, North Carolina

School & Year/Status: North Carolina - Senior

Height & Weight: 5'11 - 195 lbs.

Trimane Goddard wasted no time becoming an impact player once he stepped foot on North Carolina's campus. As a true freshman he was a backup cornerback and a mainstay on special teams. As a sophomore the 5-11, 195 pound Robersonville, North Carolina native came into his own. After coming off the bench earlier in the year, Goddard started the last six games of the 2005 season at strong safety. Even as just a part-time starter Goddard tallied 53 tackles, 2.5 tackles-for-loss and a team high three interceptions. By 2007, Goddard was a staple in the Tar Heels' secondary and ranked second on the team in tackles with 59.

It has been during Goddard's senior season when scouts really started to take notice. Through six games, Goddard already has four interceptions, three pass break-ups and seven passes defended. Add 20 solo tackles to the mix and Goddard is putting up great numbers and playing a big part on a team that is performing surprisingly well.

The bad news for Goddard is his size. At 5-11 and 195 pounds, he is not your usual big hitting safety. He can certainly deliver a blow and has plenty of speed, but Goddard will be labeled as more of a coverage safety than an all-around talent. That will drop him down into the third or fourth round of the draft.

11/11 Update: Goddard has increased his interception total on the year to six and counting. His tackle total will not likely be as high as it was last year, but that has more to do with the increase in weapons on the North Carolina defense. Goddard's size will still be his greatest concern heading into the NFL Draft and all the production in the world will not help that.

1/13 Update: Goddard finished the season with seven interceptions and 54 tackles. That has not moved his draft status up at this point. His production has been solid, but his size has created a third round ceiling on most draft boards. The best news for Goddard is all the safeties that have been dropping off the big board lately. Taylor Mays is returning to USC, Kam Chancellor is heading back to Virginia Tech and Myrone Rolle is going to Oxford for a year. With a good showing at the combine, Goddard could be a hot commodity and a second round pick by April.

Of the undrafted free agents signed (or invited) to camp....who (in your opinion) has the best chance of making the team?

S Kenny Ingraham (Florida St.)

S Sha'Reff Rashad (Central Fla)

S Tremaine Goddard (North Carolina)

S Derek Pegues (Mississippi State)

DE Alex Field (Virginia)

DE Maurice Evens (Penn St)

DE Kenny Mainor (Troy St.)

DE Robert St. Clair (Florida Atl)

CB Vince Anderson (Webber International)

CB Bruce Johnson (Miami U.)

TE Darius Hill (Ball State)

DT Dwayne Hendricks (Miami U.)

WR Maurice Covington (Virginia)

OT Jesse Miller (Michigan St.)

C Ryan Shurman (Virginia Tech)

===================================================

IMO, at least one of the 4 safeties will make the team. It must be a need as we signed so many of them. And of course, Otis Wiley was also on the list before he was able to weasle out of a deal with the Giants to stay in his home state and tryout for Detroit. I see the possibility of 2 or as many as 4 players making the team...or most likely, practice team.

So in my opinion: it's either Kenny Ingraham or Tremane Goddard to take up a safety position

Also, for whatever reason, the Giants have 4 new DE's in camp :confused: ...so I think either Alex Field or Maurice Evens might end up making the practice squad.

Lastly, I think Vinnie Anderson might make the team as a backup CB - he's very talented, but needs seasoning at a hight level of play

As far as the offensive linemen go......it's hard to guess which player could make the team as it usually takes 2 or 3 years of grueling training before they are ready to step in as a meaningful player. Coaches have to see something special in a player that makes them think they are worth the long term investment. They see things that we'll never see as fans.

Of the undrafted free agents signed (or invited) to camp....who (in your opinion) has the best chance of making the team?

S Kenny Ingraham (Florida St.)

S Sha'Reff Rashad (Central Fla)

S Tremaine Goddard (North Carolina)

S Derek Pegues (Mississippi State)

So in my opinion: it's either Kenny Ingraham or Tremane Goddard to take up a safety position

What happen to Otis Wiley ?

What happen to Otis Wiley ?

Somehow....I don't know the details.....he wrangled his way out of a Giants contract and signed with Detroit. He grew up near Detroit and was probably a Lions fan or something and if he really didn't think it was a privilege to be a Giant....the Giants didn't want him around.

I just read on ProFootballTalk that TE Darius Hill (Ball St.) has just signed with the Bengals.

I don't understand how players can commit to one team then sign with another before camp even gets started. :confused:

I don't think Hill was going to make the team as we just picked up Beckum and we still have Boss and 2 steady backups...1 of who is going to get cut.