SportsWrath

Braylon Edwards update

BronxRik

'No/Low carb'. Besides, I need something to bind that mush together.

How about some beef?

I think oats would be low GI but not 'low carb'. They're still just seeds, and seeds are carbohydrate storage vessels. Oats also have a fair amount of oil in them which is why they're no good for brewing (kills the head) but awesome for toasting in granola.

I don't think you'll get the benefits of the Atkins diet if you're munching on those things. You're better off thinking low GI than low carb; I doubt most people on a 'low carb' routine ever invoke the alternate metabolism the Atkins diet relies on. Any weight loss is more likely from removing high GI processed carbs like white bread and over-cooked pasta from their diets.

How about some beef?

I think oats would be low GI but not 'low carb'. They're still just seeds, and seeds are carbohydrate storage vessels. Oats also have a fair amount of oil in them which is why they're no good for brewing (kills the head) but awesome for toasting in granola.

I don't think you'll get the benefits of the Atkins diet if you're munching on those things. You're better off thinking low GI than low carb; I doubt most people on a 'low carb' routine ever invoke the alternate metabolism the Atkins diet relies on. Any weight loss is more likely from removing high GI processed carbs like white bread and over-cooked pasta from their diets.

What's GI?

When I said low carb, I meant no bread, pasta, white rice, etc. I know I can't avoid carbs altogether, and maybe the fact that oats are considered 'healthy' fools me. Plus the oats provide fiber as well, right? I was diagnosed with diabetes in December, but since cutting out all of the foods that led to that diagnosis (and losing 30 lbs.) they're not so sure about that diagnosis right now. My sugar leavels and cholestoral have returned to normal, so I figure not eating like a 12 year old has helped drastically. I do still have 40 lbs to go to reach my goal, I'm just sticking to what has worked so far.

What's GI?

When I said low carb, I meant no bread, pasta, white rice, etc. I know I can't avoid carbs altogether, and maybe the fact that oats are considered 'healthy' fools me. Plus the oats provide fiber as well, right? I was diagnosed with diabetes in December, but since cutting out all of the foods that led to that diagnosis (and losing 30 lbs.) they're not so sure about that diagnosis right now. My sugar leavels and cholestoral have returned to normal, so I figure not eating like a 12 year old has helped drastically. I do still have 40 lbs to go to reach my goal, I'm just sticking to what has worked so far.

GI = Glycemic Index. It's a measure of how quickly carbs are converted into blood sugar. The lower the better ie. slower, sustained energy release not sharp blood sugar spikes.Link

You're right that oats are high in fibre (undigestable carbs). You're diet makes sense to me now I know it's because of a diabeties scare. Great news that it's working for you. Diabetes scares the shit out of me, probably more than cancer (as a poorly reformed smoker). "Low Carb" just trigger the bullshit detector deep in my brain whenever I hear it. GI is a much better thing to keep in mind (and it sounds like you're doing it right).

GI = Glycemic Index. It's a measure of how quickly carbs are converted into blood sugar. The lower the better ie. slower, sustained energy release not sharp blood sugar spikes.Link

You're right that oats are high in fibre (undigestable carbs). You're diet makes sense to me now I know it's because of a diabeties scare. Great news that it's working for you. Diabetes scares the shit out of me, probably more than cancer (as a poorly reformed smoker). "Low Carb" just trigger the bullshit detector deep in my brain whenever I hear it. GI is a much better thing to keep in mind (and it sounds like you're doing it right).

Thanks for the info, you'd think I should know what GI is considering. :doh: I think I would be more worried if my mom and grandmother hadn't had it, and I was lean, mean health nut machine. Considering the way I have been living, particularly the last 4-5 years, it came as absolutely no surprise to me. If I was living a very healthy lifestyle AND had diabetes, like you, it would scare the shit out of me. Now, just 40 lbs to go and I can attempt to quit smoking (which they are on my ass about constantly). I can deal with the no bad food thing, haven't had a drink since xmas night, and all that....but there is no way in hell I can even attempt to quit smoking at the same time, plus I have never attempted to (nor have I wanted to) quit. Should be an interesting time for my loved ones when I do.

Thanks for the info, you'd think I should know what GI is considering. :doh: I think I would be more worried if my mom and grandmother hadn't had it, and I was lean, mean health nut machine. Considering the way I have been living, particularly the last 4-5 years, it came as absolutely no surprise to me. If I was living a very healthy lifestyle AND had diabetes, like you, it would scare the shit out of me. Now, just 40 lbs to go and I can attempt to quit smoking (which they are on my ass about constantly). I can deal with the no bad food thing, haven't had a drink since xmas night, and all that....but there is no way in hell I can even attempt to quit smoking at the same time, plus I have never attempted to (nor have I wanted to) quit. Should be an interesting time for my loved ones when I do.

Think about injecting yourself a couple times a day, and the constant blood testing, and the significantly shortened lifespan, and the possible amputations and blindness. Makes me queasy.

Good luck to you bro. Hope you hit your goal. When it comes to quitting talk to your doctor about doing it right. Half-assed is just a failure waiting to happen.

I've been playing way too much Soul Calibur. As soon as I saw this, I thought "Guard Impact" then counter hit and finish with an unblockable attack. :ph34r:

Think about injecting yourself a couple times a day, and the constant blood testing, and the significantly shortened lifespan, and the possible amputations and blindness. Makes me queasy.

Good luck to you bro. Hope you hit your goal. When it comes to quitting talk to your doctor about doing it right. Half-assed is just a failure waiting to happen.

I was poised to make a longterm relationship with this smoking hot Colombian chick back in 1988....she had an insulin spike and started to act all crazed during a meeting at the bank I was working at. She took her insulin and did not eat for breakfast and lunch. Her brain was literally starved of sugar. Everyone thought she was going nuts and kept asking her what meds she was on, I called an ambulance and basically cradled her head in my lap as the ambulance came. Just before they showed up, I asked her if she was a diabetic and she was momentarily coherent enough to say yes. That is when it all came together. Too bad that place was filled with jealous ass bitches who looked at her like she was a space alien as they wheeled her out.

I was going to ride with her...that is until my then fiance showed up as we had planned lunch together and I had to play it cool as she was on the verge of being mega jealous. So instead of solidifying a budding relationship and probably nailing some Bogota Booty....I had to settle for the regular Dominicana Snatcheroo. :P I lost track of Ms. Colombia as she was too embarrassed to come back. Tried to convince her that it was other people's issue not hers. Thank God my family has to deal with Hypertension (no joke in itself) rather than diabetes.

if you're on a diet with chicken and tofu. why not make a meal out of it???.. i'm sure there's a recipe for "tofu chicken and some veggies"...

i try to cook tofu as much as i can but they go bad within a day or two after opening. After work i don't feel like cooking and it'll just become waste...

as for the tRADE talk.. agree with above, talk is not dead yet. and they won't get KIWI for Ed straight up... i don't care where they were drafted at because we can get almost anyone from a round two for bradshaw (drafted in round 9)..

if you're on a diet with chicken and tofu. why not make a meal out of it???.. i'm sure there's a recipe for "tofu chicken and some veggies"...

i try to cook tofu as much as i can but they go bad within a day or two after opening. After work i don't feel like cooking and it'll just become waste...

as for the tRADE talk.. agree with above, talk is not dead yet. and they won't get KIWI for Ed straight up... i don't care where they were drafted at because we can get almost anyone from a round two for bradshaw (drafted in round 9)..

Round 9? What is this, 1992? Draft has been only 7 rounds for about 15 years now, TrashTalker! :P

Well, we've been Failin' with Braylen and that won't end. I know Jerry Reese gets made props for being at the healm when the SB victory came, but that was all Accorsi for the the most part.

I wonder what Reese's thinking is if we're just going draft for our needs. Maybe he'll pull one out, but right now this just looks disappointing.

No play for Bolden and limited movement around Edwards, hmmmmmm. Either something good is about to happen or Jerry just likes seeing our team get its nuts fed to it by Philly.

Well, we've been Failin' with Braylen and that won't end. I know Jerry Reese gets made props for being at the healm when the SB victory came, but that was all Accorsi for the the most part.

I wonder what Reese's thinking is if we're just going draft for our needs. Maybe he'll pull one out, but right now this just looks disappointing.

No play for Bolden and limited movement around Edwards, hmmmmmm. Either something good is about to happen or Jerry just likes seeing our team get its nuts fed to it by Philly.

All Accorsi? Then where was this legendary team-builder from 1998-2003? This is no better than saying it was all Reese.

You know what? Fuck Braylon Edwards. The guy has one good season under his belt. This team has been successful in the past with no great WR, and it will be so again. This blaming all of our woes on missing a single player has gone beyond ridiculous (and I don't just mean you, Gspotter). Our team wore down on both sides of the ball, period.

We are getting hyped into this--so badly we're getting shit like Steve Smith is a #3 WR. Since when? We have some pretty good WRs on the team already--maybe not at Burress' level, but one season doesn't bring Edwards to that level, either.

We might have to face it and realize that there just hasn't been that many great options this year. Unless you want to completely sell out to one position in both picks and salary.

Acorsi drafted alot of the players on that team, but it was Reeses genuis draft in 07' that contributed to that. Heavily. What was it, like 8 out of 9 draft picks starting or contributing to that SB run? Were talking draft here and Reeses had 2 stellar drafts the last 2 yrs.

Steve Smith is a #3 receiver. Not just my opinion, I read in another article that quoted an NFL GM saying that the Giants had a bunch of 3rd receivers.

I should say, Steve Smith is a #3 on a GOOD WR corps. He's a #2 on a poor to average WR corps. Right now we have a POOR WR corps.

Anybody who sees Smith as more than that is looking through Giants Blue-colored glasses.

Steve Smith has great hands and runs great routes, BUT...

He's not exceptionally fast (does not stretch the field)

He's not exceptionally quick (there's a difference between the two)

He doesn't possess exceptional size

He doesn't possess good leaping ability

He doesn't break a lot of tackles (limited YAC)

A #2 receiver has to bring more to the table than Steve Smith's skill set that we've seen so far. The good thing about him is that he's VERY good at catching and is an exceptional route runner speaking to his tremendous work ethic. He's getting the most out of himself despite limited natural athletic ability.

Steve Smith is a #3 receiver. Not just my opinion, I read in another article that quoted an NFL GM saying that the Giants had a bunch of 3rd receivers.

I should say, Steve Smith is a #3 on a GOOD WR corps. He's a #2 on a poor to average WR corps. Right now we have a POOR WR corps.

Anybody who sees Smith as more than that is looking through Giants Blue-colored glasses.

Steve Smith has great hands and runs great routes, BUT...

He's not exceptionally fast (does not stretch the field)

He's not exceptionally quick (there's a difference between the two)

He doesn't possess exceptional size

He doesn't possess good leaping ability

He doesn't break a lot of tackles (limited YAC)

A #2 receiver has to bring more to the table than Steve Smith's skill set that we've seen so far. The good thing about him is that he's VERY good at catching and is an exceptional route runner speaking to his tremendous work ethic. He's getting the most out of himself despite limited natural athletic ability.

I read that as well. I just don't agree with that GM. Of course, I'm not somebody that means anything, so whatever.

Anyway, call me blue-eyes, because I see him as a fine possession receiver, ala a Drew Pearson and don't think he's just a #3. You need a guy that can gut-out those tough yards, and he's done it on third downs for us time and time again. He might not have all the things you listed, but he does manage to do two things well: get open, and catch the ball, which he was doing in USC as well. I like that in a wide receiver. :lol:

If you're looking for a guy that spreads the field as your #2, you're right, Smith isn't your guy. He's never going to be spoken of in the same group as Moss, Rice, et al. Probably not even in a group with Owens, Johnson, or Colston. But there is definitely a solid role for the guy. He can certainly play the role Toomer did the last few years.

That's not to say I think we have a great group of WRs. I don't know what we have outside of Smith. Hixon did OK if he caught some of the passes he missed; Manningham wasn't even in games; Moss, well, he wasn't worth the pick. Maybe we luck out with Hagan--I'm not holding my breath, but still...

Again, I'm not saying we don't need WRs, we do. But that's not the only problem we had, and just because we have the hole to fill doesn't mean that there was anything out there to fill it with. (Except for Boldin. He would have been shiney in blue.)

I read that as well. I just don't agree with that GM. Of course, I'm not somebody that means anything, so whatever.

Anyway, call me blue-eyes, because I see him as a fine possession receiver, ala a Drew Pearson and don't think he's just a #3. You need a guy that can gut-out those tough yards, and he's done it on third downs for us time and time again. He might not have all the things you listed, but he does manage to do two things well: get open, and catch the ball, which he was doing in USC as well. I like that in a wide receiver. :lol:

If you're looking for a guy that spreads the field as your #2, you're right, Smith isn't your guy. He's never going to be spoken of in the same group as Moss, Rice, et al. Probably not even in a group with Owens, Johnson, or Colston. But there is definitely a solid role for the guy. He can certainly play the role Toomer did the last few years.

That's not to say I think we have a great group of WRs. I don't know what we have outside of Smith. Hixon did OK if he caught some of the passes he missed; Manningham wasn't even in games; Moss, well, he wasn't worth the pick. Maybe we luck out with Hagan--I'm not holding my breath, but still...

Again, I'm not saying we don't need WRs, we do. But that's not the only problem we had, and just because we have the hole to fill doesn't mean that there was anything out there to fill it with. (Except for Boldin. He would have been shiney in blue.)

I totally agree with you, he is a fine possession receiver. Personally I think that a #2 should provide a few more of the elements of a #1 to be able to serve in that role amicably should you lose your #1 for any reason.

I think I look at Smith and see exactly the same thing as you, fishgut, I just want what I see to stay as a #3, and us to do a little better for a #2. Nothing wrong with trying to be better, right?

If Edwards was that good someone would have taken him by now

Let sit pat with Smith and Hixon/Manningham, and draft a WR in the 2nd 3rd rounds.

BTW Manningham was a BEAST at Michigan. Smith is now a legit #2 WR. Hixon is a game breaker if he can pick up a signature move to get open.

I don't think WR is our major problem LBer is

I totally agree with you, he is a fine possession receiver. Personally I think that a #2 should provide a few more of the elements of a #1 to be able to serve in that role amicably should you lose your #1 for any reason.

I think I look at Smith and see exactly the same thing as you, fishgut, I just want what I see to stay as a #3, and us to do a little better for a #2. Nothing wrong with trying to be better, right?

Fair enough. I'd love to see a great wide receiver tandem as well (hell, let's face it, for our teams history, one truly great WR will do. LOL).

See below:

Cardinals | Reportedly lowering demands for Boldin

Comment (0) Tweet me!

Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:27:56 -0700

Sal Paolantonio, of ESPN, reports the Arizona Cardinals have reduced their asking price for WR Anquan Boldin and are willing to accept a second-round draft choice and a player for Boldin. The New York Jets, New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles are among the teams interested.

---------------------------

It would depend on the player, but I'd do this.

See below:

Comment (0) Tweet me!

Sal Paolantonio, of ESPN, reports the Arizona Cardinals have reduced their asking price for WR Anquan Boldin and are willing to accept a second-round draft choice and a player for Boldin. The New York Jets, New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles are among the teams interested.

I am watching them talk about this now. I dont want the Eagles to get him. We need to nab this guy up.

See below:

Comment (0) Tweet me!

I might actually do a second and Kiwi for this one. NOT for Edwards.