SportsWrath

JUNE 1ST CUTS

DOOM

Who do you think will get the cut this coming june 1st?

Everyone is so nervous that we're done with Free Agency... we havent even reached the june 1 cuts yet... any opinions? i know you guys have them :ph34r:

Who do you think will get the cut this coming june 1st?

Everyone is so nervous that we're done with Free Agency... we havent even reached the june 1 cuts yet... any opinions? i know you guys have them :ph34r:

Doom
So scared :cwy::P

Maybe Toomer he is up in the 4mil range, False start maybe..He is up there, Only reason that wont happen is we dont have a replacement besides that I can realy seeing any one other then Peterson (INJ) :cwy:

I'll go ahead and save the Fab 4 some time.

Eli Manning

Plaxico Burress

Jeremy Shockey

William Joseph

Sam Madison

Will Demps

Tom Coughlin

Ernie Accorsi

Michael Strahan

Osi Umenyiora

Tiki Barber

Amani Toomer

Ralph Wiggum

Cartman

and the first dude in the stands who cheers for anyone on the team.

I'll go ahead and save the Fab 4 some time.

Eli Manning

Plaxico Burress

Jeremy Shockey

William Joseph

Sam Madison

Will Demps

Tom Coughlin

Ernie Accorsi

Michael Strahan

Osi Umenyiora

Tiki Barber

Amani Toomer

Ralph Wiggum

Cartman

and the first dude in the stands who cheers for anyone on the team.

:LMAO:

Will Peterson(I really hope he can play though, he is my favorite player.)

I have a feeling that Carlos Emmons is.

Fred Robbins if he comes in as bad as last year, coughlin won't put up with that.

Jload if another qb is signed.

I'd really hate to see toomer go... cuz the guys an all time giant... and im amazed at the season he had last year... shut up all the critics..

I doubt Toomer and Emmons will get cut. Mainly becuase we're thin at both positions and we cant afford to let them go and have their spots taken by unproven youngsters. I also think that if the Giants get some SB momentum, we're going to be led by some key veterans. On offense that leadership falls squarly on the shoulders of Amani and Tiki. The players on this team that deserve the ring the most are Eli, Strahan and Amani... it would be unfair to cut any of them, for any reason and not let them have their shot after everything that they've given this organization. They dont call him the GOAT for nuthin.

I would imagine they would ask Toomer (who I heard is willing to do so) to take a pay cut. EA was surprised when Amani was unsure if he would be here or not this year and he said that Amani wouldn't be going anywhere. IMO Toomer may have lost a little bit of speed and explosion but he is the most sure handed WR on this team. He showed that he can make consistent highlight reel catches especially after many people were giving him a hard time for catching with his body more than they would like. As for Emmons I thought he would've been cut before but Green was. I guess Emmons would stay on and battle with Reggie Torbor for the LOLB/SLB spot and/or battle with some draft pick for the ROLB/WLB spot.

So scared :cwy::P

Maybe Toomer he is up in the 4mil range, False start maybe..He is up there, Only reason that wont happen is we dont have a replacement besides that I can realy seeing any one other then Peterson (INJ) :cwy:

Neither Toomer nor Luke will be cut.

Teams are becoming much more efficient at managing the cap, which has made June 1st cuts pretty much a thing of the past. The date is not nearly as significant as it was previously, when teams struggled more at cap management and therefore needed to utilize June 1st to alleviate cap problems.

Will Peterson(I really hope he can play though, he is my favorite player.)

I have a feeling that Carlos Emmons is.

Fred Robbins if he comes in as bad as last year, coughlin won't put up with that.

Jload if another qb is signed.

Cutting Emmons saves us money right now, no point in waiting until June 1st. If they intended to cut him, he'd be a goner by now.

Lorenzen is not one the 51 highest paid players on the team, and therefore does not count against the cap until the season starts. Thus, cutting him post-June 1 makes no sense

Judging by some of these responses, I get the impression that some of you don't understand the relevance of June 1st.

June 1st is important because it allows teams to spread a cap hit over 2 years. In other words, if the Giants released a player on June 1st, and that player created a cap hit of $4 million, then he would count $2 million against this year's cap and $2 million against the 2007 cap.

This nuance is helpful to teams that have minimal cap space, but as you could imagine, it potentially problematizes their cap space in the following season, as they already must operate with dead money. Like I mentioned early, cap management has become much better in recent years, which means teams aren't forced to make post-June 1st cuts as frequently as they used to.

This also explains why guys of low financial consequence are poor June 1st candidates. It's a short-term money saving date, and cutting guys like Jared Lorenzen (for example) doesn't save money in this model.

Hope that helps.

Judging by some of these responses, I get the impression that some of you don't understand the relevance of June 1st.

June 1st is important because it allows teams to spread a cap hit over 2 years. In other words, if the Giants released a player on June 1st, and that player created a cap hit of $4 million, then he would count $2 million against this year's cap and $2 million against the 2007 cap.

This nuance is helpful to teams that have minimal cap space, but as you could imagine, it potentially problematizes their cap space in the following season, as they already must operate with dead money. Like I mentioned early, cap management has become much better in recent years, which means teams aren't forced to make post-June 1st cuts as frequently as they used to.

This also explains why guys of low financial consequence are poor June 1st candidates. It's a short-term money saving date, and cutting guys like Jared Lorenzen (for example) doesn't save money in this model.

Hope that helps.

Thats a real good clarification of how June 1st works. I got the same impression while reading a few of the responses. I hope people actually do read this, it might help prevent some future problems when June 1st gets closer.

Hope that helps.

Close, but not quite correct.

What it the cap hit is, is the remaining guaranteed money over the life of the orginal contract. If it is more than 1 year left on the contract, then the timing of the cut determines when/how that money it is attributed against the cap. It is based on the life of the original contract.

for example:

if a player had $5 mil in unallocated guaranteed money (be it signing bonus or whatever) and the player still has 5 years left on the contract:

Option 1: if he was cut after june 1, there would be a $1 mil cap hit for each of the next 5 years (but you would save his salary etc for the current year)

Option 2: if he was cut before june 1, there would be a $5mil cap hit, and then he would off the books in following seasons

many teams have gone with optioin 1, but at some point they ended up with alot of cap problems due to having alot of 'dead' money (ie paying for players no longer on the team). All this does is defer the payment in the hop of short term success.

alot of teams have gotten smarter, and take the hit now, leaving them in better shape for the future.

sooner or later, you have to pay

Edited by BigPete