SportsWrath

Semi-good news for Giants

Allstarjim

ESPN.com

Eagles make a trade with Bills for LT Jason Peters. He is one of the best tackles, so in that sense it's not good news for us. However, the Eagles are our primary competition for the services of a top-flight WR via trade. This certainly weakens their position to make an additional trade for a certain WR we covet.

Sorry E-gals, Peters isn't going to help when Canty, Tuck, and Umenyiora are all coming. You can slow down one but you can't stop them all.

ESPN.com

Eagles make a trade with Bills for LT Jason Peters. He is one of the best tackles, so in that sense it's not good news for us. However, the Eagles are our primary competition for the services of a top-flight WR via trade. This certainly weakens their position to make an additional trade for a certain WR we covet.

Sorry E-gals, Peters isn't going to help when Canty, Tuck, and Umenyiora are all coming. You can slow down one but you can't stop them all.

Considering we didnt get to McNabb once at all last season, I dont think he's all that afraid. If I was him I'd be more worried about what the fans are going to be to him this year.

Considering we didnt get to McNabb once at all last season, I dont think he's all that afraid. If I was him I'd be more worried about what the fans are going to be to him this year.

Yeah but we also didn't have Canty and Umenyiora, either!

Yeah, but in 3 games we didn't even touch McNabb. Lets not forget they also signed Stacy Andrews. :unsure:

Don't worry, guys, he's going to get hit next year. There is no way Donovan is going to stay upright all game if we bring all of our horses in healthy:

Umenyiora

Tuck

Canty

Kiwanuka

Robbins

Cofield

Boley (is going to be a fantastic blitzer).

I agree, KP might have a shot as a pro bowl alternate this year, but I think Terrell Thomas is going to turn some heads this year.

Both are great blitzers coming out of the secondary and that will add even more confusion for offenses this year.

Also his first injury free season in awhile. Well we'll make up for it this year.

I don't see how this is even semi good news. Peters wanted out of Buffalo, he got his wish and he'll probably lock up his side of the line. Eagles just got a whole lot better. Dumb move by the Bills not waiting a few more days.

This is a tremendous deal for the Eagles. He is one of the better LT's in the game and known terrific pass blocker.

Thank god the Giants have some depth cause this guy does not need help one on one.

That's what I'm saying. He manhandles guys. It's a great move for them.

Yeah, but in 3 games we didn't even touch McNabb. Lets not forget they also signed Stacy Andrews. :unsure:

Actually, I'm not too afraid of a guy named "Stacy." :LMAO:

I haven't seen a lot of Bills games, but I heard that Peters showed up fat and outta shape after his Pro Bowl year, played like shit, and still wanted a huge deal. I'm not afraid of that guy at all with the horses we're running.

Actually, I'm not too afraid of a guy named "Stacy." :LMAO:

I haven't seen a lot of Bills games, but I heard that Peters showed up fat and outta shape after his Pro Bowl year, played like shit, and still wanted a huge deal. I'm not afraid of that guy at all with the horses we're running.

I'm not scared of ANYBODY with the horses we're running!

He gave up a lot of sacks last year (11.5 in 13 games) but part of that was probably the result of him missing training camp. Don't know if I would've given up that much for him but if he can return to his 2007 form it's probably a good move.

I'm not scared of ANYBODY with the horses we're running!

Exactly. He's good, but it doesnt make the Eagles that much better. They still have no WR's. We were not full strength up front last yr, the additions this season will make a tremendous difference.

Exactly. He's good, but it doesnt make the Eagles that much better. They still have no WR's. We were not full strength up front last yr, the additions this season will make a tremendous difference.

the eagles, with the exception of one year, have never really had top quality wr's. they still function at a high level on offense with what they have. the dog thinks this was a very wise move on their part...playing in that division, you better have solid players at the tackle position...that division is going to be more of the same...every team has a chance to come out on top, but it will be a fight to the final week.

the eagles, with the exception of one year, have never really had top quality wr's. they still function at a high level on offense with what they have. the dog thinks this was a very wise move on their part...playing in that division, you better have solid players at the tackle position...that division is going to be more of the same...every team has a chance to come out on top, but it will be a fight to the final week.

Functioning at a high level never got them a championship. I said it doesnt make them that much better, but it does make them better. Enough to be able to withstand the giants pass rush? No. But then again, not many teams will be able to.

Functioning at a high level never got them a championship. I said it doesnt make them that much better, but it does make them better. Enough to be able to withstand the giants pass rush? No. But then again, not many teams will be able to.

true...the dog actually meant to hit fast reply and not respond directly to your quote on this, as it was really the idea that this is "semi-good news for the giants" not making much sense to the dog...

regardless, the dog thinks it was a very smart move, and since the eagles don't seem to be a team that requires a standout WR to still do what they need to offensively, the dog doubts they ever gave serious consideration to going after a WR this year. who knows...

true...the dog actually meant to hit fast reply and not respond directly to your quote on this, as it was really the idea that this is "semi-good news for the giants" not making much sense to the dog...

regardless, the dog thinks it was a very smart move, and since the eagles don't seem to be a team that requires a standout WR to still do what they need to offensively, the dog doubts they ever gave serious consideration to going after a WR this year. who knows...

Agreed. The Eagles seem to contend when they've never really had a #1 WR. Westy cant go on much longer carrying that load IMO. But yes, the way they run their offense, he is a very good pickup for that team.

Let me see if I can clarify why this is not a bad deal for the Giants... All Peters does is replace Tra Thomas, who was considered as the best LT in Eagles history. IF he is an upgrade over Thomas (a big if), then it is a marginal upgrade at best. This doesn't improve their team over last years' version. However, they did give him a big fat contract (6 years, $60 million, $25 mil guaranteed) so that does affect their salary cap as well as them losing #28 overall, a pick where it was speculated they might take a receiver, possibly one the Giants may covet just one spot later. They also lose a 4th rounder in the trade. The Eagles are in the market for a premium WR, as are the Giants. So they are our primary competition in any deal involving an Anquan Boldin or Braylon Edwards. They just weakened themselves somewhat by trading #28 and their fourth rounder, making the Giants in a little better position in negotiations as they were prior to the trade for Peters, HOWEVER, the Eagles still have what it takes to get a deal done because they still hold #21 overall as well.

To sum up, I don't believe the Eagles really upgraded themselves over last year with this move, and it somewhat hurt their bargaining power with respect to competition involving a major trade for a premium WR. Hope that clears things up.

Let me see if I can clarify why this is not a bad deal for the Giants... All Peters does is replace Tra Thomas, who was considered as the best LT in Eagles history. IF he is an upgrade over Thomas (a big if), then it is a marginal upgrade at best. This doesn't improve their team over last years' version. However, they did give him a big fat contract (6 years, $60 million, $25 mil guaranteed) so that does affect their salary cap as well as them losing #28 overall, a pick where it was speculated they might take a receiver, possibly one the Giants may covet just one spot later. They also lose a 4th rounder in the trade. The Eagles are in the market for a premium WR, as are the Giants. So they are our primary competition in any deal involving an Anquan Boldin or Braylon Edwards. They just weakened themselves somewhat by trading #28 and their fourth rounder, making the Giants in a little better position in negotiations as they were prior to the trade for Peters, HOWEVER, the Eagles still have what it takes to get a deal done because they still hold #21 overall as well.

To sum up, I don't believe the Eagles really upgraded themselves over last year with this move, and it somewhat hurt their bargaining power with respect to competition involving a major trade for a premium WR. Hope that clears things up.

the dog disagrees to an extent. first, thomas is no longer on the eagles, so it was a void they needed to fill, and they did so by getting what many feel is the best or one of the best in the business at that position. as he is much younger than thomas, the deal was a significant upgrade. second, the dog isn't so sure they really covet a big time wr, since they seem to be set in their ways with what they have at that position, and the reality is, their offense is effective without a true number one based on the system they employ. if they do want boldin or edwards, they could still offer the picks, so your point is not necessarily accurate....regardless, it matters not. these 4 teams in that division are always going to battle it out to the end regardless of what they bring in during the offseason...