SportsWrath

GIANTS WILL DO SOMETHING AT RECEIVER

NeMesiS

www.nypost.com

ELI: GIANTS WILL DO SOMETHING AT RECEIVER

POST STAFF REPORT

April 16, 2009 --

Eli Manning today told ESPN he expects the Giants to address their need for a No. 1 receiver and that Browns wideout Braylon Edwards is an attractive target.

"That's what you want, a guy who can catch the ball and make big plays and get in the end zone," Manning said when asked about Edwards.

The quarterback referenced Edwards' 2007 season, certainly aware the Michigan product caught 80 passes for 1,289 yards and 16 touchdowns in his second year.

Manning also was confident GM Jerry Reese and coach Tom Coughlin know Edwards' potential, and the fact the Browns may have him on the market.

"I think they're on top of it," Manning said of Giants brass. "They know we have some good receivers here, some young guys who can play great football for us, but that we might need a No. 1 receiver."

GM REESE ISN'T WORRIED

The Giants finally parted with Plaxico Burress this month, leaving them with Domenik Hixon, Steve Smith, Mario Manningham and Sinorice Moss on top of the depth chart.

Reese said today, "I think people are panicked about our receivers. We're not panicked about it."

But Manning said replacing Burress would be addressed soon, perhaps at next weekend's NFL Draft.

"I'm sure something will happen either during the draft or before the draft or right near it to help us out," Manning said.

Edwards is 26 years old, an imposing target at 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds. He was far from great (55 catches, 873 yards, three TDs) last season, making news more for drops (an NFL-high 16) than catches.

Edwards is entering the final year of his contract -- he'll make $4.55 million this coming season -- and before trading for him the Giants would have to agree on a new long-term deal.

That won't be easy. Edwards reportedly wants $10 million per year and -- judging how the Giants last year handled Burress' new contract -- Reese will want plenty of insurance written into the deal in case Edwards doesn't pan out.

A report on Yahoo.com stated Edwards was expected to be traded to the Giants before the draft. And ESPN analyst John Clayton said an Edwards trade was inevitable.

Referring to Edwards today, Reese said, "I'm not talking about Braylon, that's somebody else's player, he's under contract. There's nothing to talk about that. A lot of chatter, a lot of false reports."

Browns general manager George Kokinis sidestepped questions about trade rumors involving Edwards, telling The Associated Press that discussion about players on the roster was "internal business."

Someone familiar with the Giants thinking acknowledged that there were preliminary discussions with the Browns in February.

Reports then said the Giants offered the second- and fifth-round picks they received from the Saints in the Jeremy Shockey trade; the Browns countered by asking for Smith, along with the picks, and the Giants said no to Smith but were willing to include either Domenik Hixon or Mario Manningham in the deal, which the Browns rejected.

Reese denied that report, stating he never got down to offering any players.

Cardinals WR Anquan Boldin also is available, with coach Ken Whisenhunt yesterday declaring his receiver was on the market.

According to ESPN, Boldin has asked to be traded since last season after teammate Larry Fitzgerald received a four-year, $40 million contract. Boldin has two years remaining on the six-year, $33.99 million deal he signed in 2005.

"It would be foolish from our standpoint not to listen to those opportunities and see what actually exists," the coach said on the team's Web site. "But I want to make the point ... our goal is to re-sign him to a long-term deal. That hasn't changed."

Landing Boldin likely would require three draft picks in a package identical to the one the Cowboys gave to the Lions for Roy Williams: a first-, third- and fifth-rounder.

Boldin told ESPN Radio in Dallas he would prefer to land in the NFC East, where the Eagles also may be interested.

"For the right player you do whatever you can to make it happen," Reese said. "We'll do what's best for the Giants and I don't know if that's the best thing for us to do, to package up a deal that valuable.

"We like our draft picks, we like developing players. We won't force anything."

The Giants pick 29th in the first round of the Draft and could address the position there.

ESPN reports the Jets also have an interest in Boldin.

With Paul Schwartz; AP

You know, I was thinking about it some more, and I think signing Tory Holt wouldn't be such a bad idea. I think with his expirience and the way he studies film would help out our young WR alot. I'm not saying we should make him our number one guy. But having him in Sam Madison role would be great.

Ok can we get a deal done here.

A first round (check), third round (check), fifth round (check) and we get a number one receiver.

Umm we have these things and don't have a number one receiver.

Lets make a deal. :)

Ok can we get a deal done here.

A first round (check), third round (check), fifth round (check) and we get a number one receiver.

Umm we have these things and don't have a number one receiver.

Lets make a deal. :)

I'm with you if that's what it would really take. I think that Dallas overpaid and just because they did doesn't mean we should, too. But if that's what it really would take and Cleveland drew a line in the sand, if I couldn't get, say, Chad Johnson, then I would still pull the trigger.

I don't believe they overpaid. They just didn't see results in a season that had high expectations. I bet he has a strong season this year.

I'm with you if that's what it would really take. I think that Dallas overpaid and just because they did doesn't mean we should, too. But if that's what it really would take and Cleveland drew a line in the sand, if I couldn't get, say, Chad Johnson, then I would still pull the trigger.