SportsWrath

So now Braylon isnt happening...?

so-cal dub

-=link=-

Giants, Braylon Marriage Not Coming?

Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2009, 5:26 p.m. EDT

As reports continue to surface that the New York Giants could soon be trading for Browns receiver Braylon Edwards, we continue to hear that the deal currently is unlikely.

Though we trust our sources on this one, it’s safe to assume that a certain amount of posturing is occurring, and that different motivations are driving the rumors and reports.

From the Browns’ perspective, they’d likely love to spark an auction for Edwards’ services. What better way to do it than to push the notion that the Giants are poised to pull the trigger (pun not intended but nevertheless welcome) on a trade?

From the Giants’ perspective, they’d likely love to make it clear to the Browns — and any other team with a wideout who could be trade bait — that the Giants aren’t going to overpay, either via the draft picks and/or players they’d have to surrender or the money they’d have to fork over to the replacement to Plaxico Burress.

According to our sources, a trade of Edwards to the Giants won’t happen unless and until the Browns drop their asking price, and Edwards cuts his contractual expectations.

So stay tuned.

This is pissing me off. Is he coming or not!? :brooding:

It shouldn't happen at all. They pickup Braylon, it makes drafting a top receiver a non priority. I understand that with the draft you are taking a chance of drafting someone who will not work out. We take Braylon and we are taking a chance hoping he gets better. Recent memory says he is what he is and that is not worth passing up a better prospect in the draft.

Rather we pickup Braylon once Mangini cuts him. Just think of what hole we could be in if we traded with Detroit for Charles Rodgers. Ok its not fair but that is what we're looking at.

It shouldn't happen at all. They pickup Braylon, it makes drafting a top receiver a non priority. I understand that with the draft you are taking a chance of drafting someone who will not work out. We take Braylon and we are taking a chance hoping he gets better. Recent memory says he is what he is and that is not worth passing up a better prospect in the draft.

Rather we pickup Braylon once Mangini cuts him. Just think of what hole we could be in if we traded with Detroit for Charles Rodgers. Ok its not fair but that is what we're looking at.

To be fair...Charles Rogers suffered to freakish injuries.

I personally believe he's coming. I think the Browns have already agreed on the deal, but first, the Giants need to agree with Edwards on a long term contract in which he is asking 10 mill a year. Like all smart players, they start high, but eventually hammer out a deal that's not in the same ballpark. I remember when the Giants did the same dance with Plax when he was coming over from the Steelers. The player high balls a figure, then the Giants low ball a figure and then they dance.

Cleveland wants to get something out of Edwards so they are motivated. Edwards really wants to play in NY so he's motivated. The Giants need a big play WR so they're motivated. And to top it off....just like with Plax....the Giants aren't competing with any other teams for Edward's services. In poker terms, Cleveland has a pair of threes, Edwards has a small straight, and the Giants are looking at 4 aces.

Be patient and let this hand play out. I believe the only hangup right now is between NY and Edwards on the contract and they are just doing the obligatory two-step shuffle right now.

Expect a formal trade and signing within the next 10 days and probably before this Sunday.

I just hope we still have our no. 1 pick left.

In effort to replace Plaxico, Giants revive trade talks for Braylon Edwards

BY Ralph Vacchiano

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, April 15th 2009, 11:40 AM

amd_braylon.jpg Russell/AP Giants may use draft picks to make deal for Browns WR Braylon Edwards.

The Giants have said all along that they have a plan for life after Plaxico Burress. Plan A appears to include making a run at acquiring Braylon Edwards.

The Giants and the Cleveland Browns recently reopened talks about the 26-year-old receiver, according to a source familiar with the discussions. However, the price of trading for the 6-3, 215-pounder could be high, since the Browns are reportedly seeking a package that includes at least a first-round draft pick.

The Browns also have their eyes on Mathias Kiwanuka, one source said. However, a Giants source insisted the team has no intention of trading their promising, 26-year-old defensive end.

But the Giants' first-round pick - 29th overall - could be available. In fact, one report over the weekend said the Browns already had at least one offer for Edwards that included a first-round pick from an unidentified team. The Giants aren't believed to be that team, but they reportedly had previously offered the second- and fifth-round picks they got from New Orleans in the Jeremy Shockey trade before talks broke down.

With 10 picks in the draft, including five in the first 100 selections, the Giants would much rather use a package of picks to acquire a replacement for Burress, whom they released on April3. If the Giants can't land Edwards, there is still an outside chance that Arizona's Anquan Boldin could be available. If they can't get Boldin, the Giants might try to move up in the first round to select a better receiver than one that will be available to them at No. 29.

However, none of the options is as tempting as Edwards, the third pick of the 2005 draft, who broke out with 80 catches for 1,289 yards and 16 touchdowns in his outstanding 2007 season. He followed that up, though, by enduring a disappointing 2008 when he caught just 55 passes for 873 yards and led the NFL with 16 drops.

But those drops didn't frighten off Giants GM Jerry Reese, who approached Browns GM George Kokinis about Edwards at the scouting combine in Indianapolis in late February. Kokinis described those talks as an exchange of ideas, but he said "nothing really culminated into specifics."

With the draft quickly approaching, and Burress now officially out of the Giants' hair, that could change.

A 1 ,2 and a 5 might seal the deal but not trading a player (unless it's Moss....if it would get the deal done) plus those picks.

Yes, we're trading you to the Browns for some picks in the up-coming fan draft.

I will tell my agent that I want to decline that trade, I will take less money to stay a Giant fan. ;)

Unless theres a big breasted lady thrown in.

everyone got # 21 jerseys can tag a Phillips on the back, everyone got a #17 jersey can tag a Edwards on the back.. do i see a trend???

for some reason(no evidence just what i think) that he would go with a different number than 17

to get a fresh start so to speak.

maybe take no.80

This doesn't bother me at all. The fact that there are so many "rumors" tells me this deal is highly unlikely to begin with. I'm not worried nor am I going to look for headlines everyday. When the Giants land a stud WR, we'll all hear about it.. the news will come to us.