SportsWrath

Raiders released old friend Gibril Wilson

RandolphScott

I have 1 question:

It's 11am on a Saturday morning and we have 8 guys on the forum? :confused:

a big hang over but always love to read some sportswarth in the morning..

ask for wilson, i want him back but it won't happen, we wasted last year's first round on a S...

as for Mitchells.. i haven't heard anything of him being releases.... last i saw him, he was tearing down Offensive players like house flys..

a big hang over but always love to read some sportswarth in the morning..

ask for wilson, i want him back but it won't happen, we wasted last year's first round on a S...

as for Mitchells.. i haven't heard anything of him being releases.... last i saw him, he was tearing down Offensive players like house flys..

Wasted?

Phillips is going to be a pro before it's all said and done.

Wilson's not even that good so it's nothing to worry about.

When Johnson learns how to run up into the box and tackle the running back he'll become a real asset for our secondary IMO.

So when Johnson learns the Safety position and how to tackle running backs, he'll be a good Safety...?

Gibril Wilson is about a thousand times better than Michael Johnson. He definitely won't be a Giant, but I think we need a new look at Safety.

So when Johnson learns the Safety position and how to tackle running backs, he'll be a good Safety...?

Gibril Wilson is about a thousand times better than Michael Johnson. He definitely won't be a Giant, but I think we need a new look at Safety.

we could probaby get william moore in the 2nd round

I don't know about all that.. I think Johnson has shown himself to be a solid starter and can only get better with more playing time... And the price is right too.

No chance Gibril comes back. It's not like he's going to take back-up money or a back-up position on the team. I believe Phillips is going to play the SS position, and Johnson is a FS. Wilson is a SS. He is not going to start over Phillips, and he is not going to move to FS, because that does not play to his strengths. So he's really not a fit. Sure, it'd be nice if very good players would play for cheap and take up back-up roles just to be on a winner, but that's not how it works in the NFL.

Kawika Mitchell coming back is a more likely scenario, but that probably won't happen either. Danny Clark is still under contract and I think they will try and replace him with Kehl or the draft, while addressing the strongside LB with someone like Sintim or Cushing. I'm surprised that they are not going to move Kiwi back to LB, as doing so would allow them to have the 3 best rushers on the field at all times (Umenyiora, Tuck, and Kiwi). Of course, it does help the DE rotation and depth. So Reese really needs to find 3 good players through the draft or free agency at minimum... the need a strongside and weakside linebacker, and of course at least one big, dangerous WR.

No chance Gibril comes back. It's not like he's going to take back-up money or a back-up position on the team. I believe Phillips is going to play the SS position, and Johnson is a FS. Wilson is a SS. He is not going to start over Phillips, and he is not going to move to FS, because that does not play to his strengths. So he's really not a fit. Sure, it'd be nice if very good players would play for cheap and take up back-up roles just to be on a winner, but that's not how it works in the NFL.

Kawika Mitchell coming back is a more likely scenario, but that probably won't happen either. Danny Clark is still under contract and I think they will try and replace him with Kehl or the draft, while addressing the strongside LB with someone like Sintim or Cushing. I'm surprised that they are not going to move Kiwi back to LB, as doing so would allow them to have the 3 best rushers on the field at all times (Umenyiora, Tuck, and Kiwi). Of course, it does help the DE rotation and depth. So Reese really needs to find 3 good players through the draft or free agency at minimum... the need a strongside and weakside linebacker, and of course at least one big, dangerous WR.

i think if phillips and johnson are our starters johnson ends up playing the strong safety, i think he is better suited for the SS. even though everyone says in our system they are pretty interchangeable.

and if clarks starting spot is replaced that is the strongside. he was our strongside backer all year. while kehl/blackburn were our weakbackers this year. i think kehl has potential on the weakside while most of the draft prospects fit the strongside better.

Great points, Jim. Although I see Kawika coming back till whoever we draft is ready to step up.

i think if phillips and johnson are our starters johnson ends up playing the strong safety, i think he is better suited for the SS. even though everyone says in our system they are pretty interchangeable.

and if clarks starting spot is replaced that is the strongside. he was our strongside backer all year. while kehl/blackburn were our weakbackers this year. i think kehl has potential on the weakside while most of the draft prospects fit the strongside better.

Why would you feel this way? Phillips is a hitter, Johnson a rangey speedster. I think Phillips is much more suited for the SS, while I can't imagine Johnson playing anything but FS.

Yes, you are correct about Clark on the strongside. I thought he was weakside because before Osi got hurt Kiwi was the Strongside backer and I thought Clark was brought in to play the Will. Didn't ever occur to me that they switched him. I agree with you about Kehl having very good potential for the weakside, and also your assessments on the draft prospects. I would not trust either Clark or Kehl to perform at a high level next year, however, especially Clark. That is why I feel that it is important that the Giants draft two linebackers or find one in FA that will compete for the starting job.

Why would you feel this way? Phillips is a hitter, Johnson a rangey speedster. I think Phillips is much more suited for the SS, while I can't imagine Johnson playing anything but FS.

Yes, you are correct about Clark on the strongside. I thought he was weakside because before Osi got hurt Kiwi was the Strongside backer and I thought Clark was brought in to play the Will. Didn't ever occur to me that they switched him. I agree with you about Kehl having very good potential for the weakside, and also your assessments on the draft prospects. I would not trust either Clark or Kehl to perform at a high level next year, however, especially Clark. That is why I feel that it is important that the Giants draft two linebackers or find one in FA that will compete for the starting job.

phillips played his college career as mostly a free safety and johnson played his college career as mostly a strong safety

Yet Johnson played FS last year. ;)

and when butler was injured and phillips got the start they slid johnson over to SS and had phillips play FS

i guess we just wait and see what the coaches decide

then one of us can gloat

I don't mean to sound like a jack Ass... But one of the reasons why Johnson fell so low in the draft is because how slow he is...

why would jerry do that. why cut the best safety in the league for a player not good enough to be on the raiders. the cowboys are like 20 mil under the cap.

I don't know go ask Horse L. Collar himself

The best safety in the league .......... :LMAO:

beside D.Ware will eat up that $20mil cap

say goodbye to Chris Canty and Tank Johnson