SportsWrath

Giants tender Dockery at 2nd round level

Mr. P

New York Giants move to protect themselves in case CB Kevin Dockery leaves

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Wednesday February 18, 2009, 3:11 PM

The Giants have extended a second-round tender to restricted free agent CB Kevin Dockery, according to someone who recently spoke to Dockery.

Andrew Mills/The Star-LedgerKevin Dockery can talk with other teams, or make $1.545 million next year with the Giants.

The tender means Dockery is free to negotiate with another team starting on Feb. 27 when free agency begins. If he signs an offer sheet with another club, the Giants will have the opportunity to match. If they don't, they'll be owed a second-round pick.

Dockery's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, could not be reached for comment.

The tender comes with a one-year salary offer of $1.545 million. Not bad for a player who was overlooked as a rookie free agent and was invited to rookie camp in 2006 on a tryout basis. Dockery impressed the team and was then signed. He made the roster out of training camp.

Dockery, a small corner (5-8, 188 pounds) who plays much, much bigger and isn't afraid to be aggressive, has become part of a young corps of talent at corner that includes Corey Webster (first-round pick), Aaron Ross (first round) and Terrell Thomas (second round). The Giants recently cut veteran Sam Madison and appear prepared to allow R.W. McQuarters to become an unrestricted free agent in nine days.

I know I keep teasing this James Butler thing and I promise I'll post it. Nothing huge or shocking, as he said the Giants have told him they'll allow him to test the free-agent market but will monitor his situation. I'll get you the quotes later. About to take off for Indy. I'll be at the scouting combine through the weekend.

MG

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/02..._to_protec.html