SportsWrath

Why would this one not make sense?

xxi-xxv

I hate conspiracies but why was Delgado so much better after Willie was fired? Poof, all of a sudden Delgado looks a lot better. He smiled a lot more and became that leader on the field once again. Obviously he had some injuries but I just cannot explain it.

I think Tatis can be very valuable off the bench but that is it. Isn't Pagan coming back also? I have come to terms that the Mets will be not making any more big moves and we have to move on and be content in what we have. I would obviously love another bat in left but that organization feels like it is better off right now and maybe who knows, a player will become available. I am going to do a wait and see with Schneider this year. He did battle through quite amount of injuries last year. I am really worried about second base. I have been since last year. But I am just stating the obvious. I cannot stomach the thought of Castillo the starting second baseman.

I excited to see how the new park is going to turn out. Supposedly it will be a pitchers park but even more a pitchers park than Shea or will there be more balls flying out? I have a feeling Santana is going to have a great year. I wasn't too worried about the knee last year and I am not worried about it this year. I am even more excited about Big Pelf. I was masterful in a lot of outings last year and it can only go up from there. I am hoping Maine can return to form from 2 years ago. Beltran needs to have a good year. Last year's wasn't that good at all.

I really like Jerry Manual and I think he is the manager this team needs. It's too bad the Mets didn't make the playoffs last year but he did a really good job with what he had. It is too bad that Willie was manager up until June. I wonder how Wagners progress is coming a long. Last I heard, he was months ahead of schedule and could be available by August. We have some bad feelings about him but it would be nice to have another arm in the pen.

I am with you 100% until you mentioned Wagners name, Perish the thought..... but I guess he could be a nice September call up ....

Its called being objective and realizing that this team is just not that good in certain areas. It does not mean that any of us do not want to watch the games or hope they win, its just that we are not so naive to think that simply raising our blue and orange pom poms to the sky and "getting behind the team" is going to mask the reality that this team has its warts.

these thread and posts are not about looking forward to seeing the season start, its about the quality of the roster. One has nothing to do with the other.

Fair enough, xxi. I'm just saying that's the impression I get. I can tell you that 2007 and 2006 were the toughest for me as a fan to watch. Last year wasn't really as bad because even I knew that the bullpen was going to undo that team sometime or another, regardless of my hopes. I realize the team has warts. Particularly at 2B. All this time we have been talking about Manny, and you really thinking I have rose-colored glasses because I really don't want him.... I'm more frustrated that they didn't address 2B. I see the warts. I know we disagree on potential. I think the NY mentality is to get stars like the Yankees do to address positions of need. I find it more rewarding when a guy like Murphy comes from our system and becomes a star, or when we trade for a young player and he blossoms on our team like I'm hoping Church does this year.

I'm concerned about Maine's durability and the fact that we did not acquire another left-hander for the pen. But I really think they should have made a play for Hudson and just let Castillo be a bench player. Hudson is the guy I wanted the Mets to get, not Manny. And like I said, we can all agree to disagree. I see the warts, too, man... maybe I don't perceive them to be as ugly as you do, I have more of a take similar to jranieli about the Mets... that at least they've shored up the rotation and addressed the bullpen, and I think that will pay big dividends, which is the reason I am hopeful for this season and ready for it to get under way.

It was (is) a long offseason and I'm just ready for baseball to start again, my friend. It would be no fun to me if I just looked at the team only for it's shortcomings. I have to have SOME faith that they can win the division this year, even if I'm deluding myself a little in having that faith... or else, why would I want to watch? So I'd much rather see the positives (the bullpen makeover, Pelfrey developing, and hopefully breakout years from Church and Murphy), than the negatives (Castillo, Delgado aging, what if Murphy and Church don't perform as well as I hope).

But you know what else is not lost on me? The other teams have their warts, too. The Phillies back end of their rotation is pretty bad. Utley's health is uncertain for awhile, and can Lidge really be perfect AGAIN? Certainly, they are a great team but they are not unbeatable.

I think this team has a chance and I'm going to look forward to watching them open up that brand new ballpark.

I hate conspiracies but why was Delgado so much better after Willie was fired? Poof, all of a sudden Delgado looks a lot better. He smiled a lot more and became that leader on the field once again. Obviously he had some injuries but I just cannot explain it.

I think Tatis can be very valuable off the bench but that is it. Isn't Pagan coming back also? I have come to terms that the Mets will be not making any more big moves and we have to move on and be content in what we have. I would obviously love another bat in left but that organization feels like it is better off right now and maybe who knows, a player will become available. I am going to do a wait and see with Schneider this year. He did battle through quite amount of injuries last year. I am really worried about second base. I have been since last year. But I am just stating the obvious. I cannot stomach the thought of Castillo the starting second baseman.

I excited to see how the new park is going to turn out. Supposedly it will be a pitchers park but even more a pitchers park than Shea or will there be more balls flying out? I have a feeling Santana is going to have a great year. I wasn't too worried about the knee last year and I am not worried about it this year. I am even more excited about Big Pelf. I was masterful in a lot of outings last year and it can only go up from there. I am hoping Maine can return to form from 2 years ago. Beltran needs to have a good year. Last year's wasn't that good at all.

I really like Jerry Manual and I think he is the manager this team needs. It's too bad the Mets didn't make the playoffs last year but he did a really good job with what he had. It is too bad that Willie was manager up until June. I wonder how Wagners progress is coming a long. Last I heard, he was months ahead of schedule and could be available by August. We have some bad feelings about him but it would be nice to have another arm in the pen.

Jranieli=Mike Pelfrey?! :P

Fair enough, xxi. I'm just saying that's the impression I get. I can tell you that 2007 and 2006 were the toughest for me as a fan to watch. Last year wasn't really as bad because even I knew that the bullpen was going to undo that team sometime or another, regardless of my hopes. I realize the team has warts. Particularly at 2B. All this time we have been talking about Manny, and you really thinking I have rose-colored glasses because I really don't want him.... I'm more frustrated that they didn't address 2B. I see the warts. I know we disagree on potential. I think the NY mentality is to get stars like the Yankees do to address positions of need. I find it more rewarding when a guy like Murphy comes from our system and becomes a star, or when we trade for a young player and he blossoms on our team like I'm hoping Church does this year.

I'm concerned about Maine's durability and the fact that we did not acquire another left-hander for the pen. But I really think they should have made a play for Hudson and just let Castillo be a bench player. Hudson is the guy I wanted the Mets to get, not Manny. And like I said, we can all agree to disagree. I see the warts, too, man... maybe I don't perceive them to be as ugly as you do, I have more of a take similar to jranieli about the Mets... that at least they've shored up the rotation and addressed the bullpen, and I think that will pay big dividends, which is the reason I am hopeful for this season and ready for it to get under way.

It was (is) a long offseason and I'm just ready for baseball to start again, my friend. It would be no fun to me if I just looked at the team only for it's shortcomings. I have to have SOME faith that they can win the division this year, even if I'm deluding myself a little in having that faith... or else, why would I want to watch? So I'd much rather see the positives (the bullpen makeover, Pelfrey developing, and hopefully breakout years from Church and Murphy), than the negatives (Castillo, Delgado aging, what if Murphy and Church don't perform as well as I hope).

But you know what else is not lost on me? The other teams have their warts, too. The Phillies back end of their rotation is pretty bad. Utley's health is uncertain for awhile, and can Lidge really be perfect AGAIN? Certainly, they are a great team but they are not unbeatable.

I think this team has a chance and I'm going to look forward to watching them open up that brand new ballpark.

Couple things. Church is nota young player, he will be 31, so to say we can watch a young player develop is not correct. What we are HOPING for is that a mediocre career player, blossoms into an everyday run producing outfielder.

No one loves Murphy more than me, I saw the kid could hit from the moment I watched his swing, but lets be fair 12 months ago NONE of us knew who he was and he was a corner infielder. Now he is expected to be our starting leftfielder, based on his terrific 130 at bats of 2008. IMO his best role this year is spot starts to eventually take over 1b when Delgado leaves.

As for developing young players it sure is nice, its why I always loved Pelfrey and Maine, but lets look at the Mets OBJECTIVELY, aside from Wright and Reyes who was the last everyday young player the Mets developed? Edgardo Alfonzo? Todd Hundley? Its not exactly something the Mets have gotten right over the years. Pitchers? Yes. Position players? No/

Couple things. Church is nota young player, he will be 31, so to say we can watch a young player develop is not correct. What we are HOPING for is that a mediocre career player, blossoms into an everyday run producing outfielder.

No one loves Murphy more than me, I saw the kid could hit from the moment I watched his swing, but lets be fair 12 months ago NONE of us knew who he was and he was a corner infielder. Now he is expected to be our starting leftfielder, based on his terrific 130 at bats of 2008. IMO his best role this year is spot starts to eventually take over 1b when Delgado leaves.

As for developing young players it sure is nice, its why I always loved Pelfrey and Maine, but lets look at the Mets OBJECTIVELY, aside from Wright and Reyes who was the last everyday young player the Mets developed? Edgardo Alfonzo? Todd Hundley? Its not exactly something the Mets have gotten right over the years. Pitchers? Yes. Position players? No/

Yeah, you're right, and I think it partly has to do with the Mets draft philosophy over the years as they have really focused on pitching in the early rounds.

I know there is a fair chance that it won't work out with the corner outfield positions, but I remain hopeful that it will, with Church being a late bloomer! :P

Ok so I know that most of us Met fans acknowledge that this middle of the order needs another bat and many of us feel its the perfect storm brewing to add Manny. Most of us look at the corner outfield positions and see a guy who is now 30 years old and has never driven in more than 70 runs in a season and a journeyman out of baseball for 3 years and a rookie converted infielder as something that a team expecting to compete must upgrade. Now I for one can acknowledge the Manny potential issues, but sadly I cannot see any reason why not to sign him, but lets be honest the Wilpons have balked at things like this before(see Vlad 2004) as they steadfastly stick to a payroll number(ironic for two stupid fucks who let Bernie Madoff run off with 700 mil of their money)and very rarely go over it before the season starts.

So lets say Manny is a no go. How about Bobby Abreu?

The naysayers will say, well he is left handed and the Mets are lefty heavy. I will tell you he hits lefties as good or better than righties(315 in 08). The naysayers will tell you he is a defensive liability. I will tell you he is better than TWO converted infielders are at a corner outfield spot and has proven that 70 rbis is not his max. He works the count as good as any hitter in the game and put him in the 3 hole in front of Wright and you can bet that he would see a shitload of pitches to hit.

He is no Clemente in the OF, that I will admit, but are Tatis and Murphy any better?

IMO this is a terrific fallback plan to pissing away the oppurtunity to add the best right handed hitter in the game.

Abreu link

Good article. I love the idea. Especially for a 1-year to see what he can do against NL teams. Would love to have Manny, but Bobby is a close 2nd to me, and he actually wants to play for us. C'mon Omar!!