SportsWrath

Amani Toomer criticizes New York Giants' coaching staff

Mr. P

I don't know. Toomer has to know he's lost a step. It was clear to me that Toomer was just not the threat in the passing game that he used to be. Teams didn't respect his ability to beat coverage, and he didn't make them respect him.

He can try to put this all on the coaches, but I think this has more to do with the bitterness that happens between a player and a team when a team has moved on and the player is still trying to hang on. We've seen this before. It's tough giving up the game you love when you just don't have it anymore. And Toomer has given a lot to the franchise over the years, it's no wonder he would be a little resentful if he still believes he can be a threat as a starting WR, which he clearly believes he can be. There's just a little problem... he can't. The Giants need to move on and get younger and more explosive at the position.

You might be right, but frankly, it's hard to tell about losing a step when the guy's number isn't being called.

His comment about the game after the Plax shooting was a good one....Plax was out, and they went to Toomer and won the game.

Maybe he's out of gas...but again, I didn't really see them take too many shots with Toomer down the stretch.

He's not the burner he used to be, but nobody on that team could catch a better sideline pass....it was like someone glued his feet inbounds.

Frankly, going into the Philly game, I mentioned that Toomer would be a key to the game. Not to beat a dead horse, but with windy conditions forcing a shorter passing game, the speed needed for the longball threat just wasn't there.

When conditions force you to go with the short/mid passing game, why not dial up your most experienced Meadowlands receiver?

Another Killdrive Mystery to me.

1/28/09 Interview with Amani:

There’s a firestorm of media coverage about you in today’s news and some of it is conflicting. Did you intend to criticize the coaching staff’s game plans?

Amani: No, I absolutely did not intend to criticize nor did I criticize the coaching staff’s game plans. What I did say was that I thought the team as a whole had less focus this year than they did last year and that I almost could see this loss coming. That has nothing to do with the coaches.

I do however feel that I was underutilized in the last few games and as I told you earlier in an interview, I thought it was probably to try and develop the younger players. But it is true that I believe I could have made a greater contribution than I did. So, I think some of what got reported was inaccurate.

There were reports that your agent has had some preliminary talks with the Giants and that they do have some interest in resigning you. Is this true or not?

Amani: I believe that there have been some preliminary talks but how far they’ve gone I don’t really know yet. I also don’t really know how much interest the Giants have or how they view my role so I’ll have to wait and see if their ideas and my own can mesh. If I am to come back, I want to have a chance to compete. I don’t want to just come back and have no role in the offense.

There are conflicting statements, both supposedly made by you, saying that you both do and do not want to return the Giants. Are you in fact conflicted and were the differing reports both accurate?

Amani: I’ve been a Giant all of my career and I think it’s a great organization so naturally I want to end my career as a Giant. I also love the Giants fans. They’ve always been great to me and I really enjoy playing for them. But I don’t want to end my career now so if the Giants don’t have any interest in my continued participation in the organization, I’ll look for other opportunities.

Based on how my role declined near the end of the season, I just don’t know how the Giants view my role or even if they really want me back at all. If I were to come back and not really have a chance to compete, then I’d rather go someplace else where I would have a chance to compete. So, I guess it’s fair to say I am conflicted.

There were also reports that you said your agent has had some discussions with other teams. Did you actually say that?

Amani: No, I did not say that.

Straight from Amani's site

whether its schematic or not, I can't tell, but he's been no help to us. Maybe we don't mix him up well enough, he's always out on an island and he's not fast enough to create separation and so they play him tight. I like Amani, not heartbroken if he's gone as long as he's replaced. Thanks for the years, Amani, but unlike QB's, you have to have some speed to be good at your job and at 33, you are getting in very deep water.

One of my favorite Giants of all time. Disappointed in you here Toomer - Just shut up. The team didn't publicly rip you your first few years when you were almost cut because you weren't performing, they stood by you through a torn ACL late in your career - so don't bitch if they choose to let you go after almost a decade and a half. Its not right.

I hate it when everytime somone who's earned his stripes finally speaks up, we call it "bitching". It's evident everything Toomer said here was true. You have a veteran guy who's be solid for us and he's all but ignored. I'm with Toomer here.

I hate it when everytime somone who's earned his stripes finally speaks up, we call it "bitching". It's evident everything Toomer said here was true. You have a veteran guy who's be solid for us and he's all but ignored. I'm with Toomer here.

Nas, I thought you were down on Tiki for the exact same thing.

whether its schematic or not, I can't tell, but he's been no help to us. Maybe we don't mix him up well enough, he's always out on an island and he's not fast enough to create separation and so they play him tight. I like Amani, not heartbroken if he's gone as long as he's replaced. Thanks for the years, Amani, but unlike QB's, you have to have some speed to be good at your job and at 33, you are getting in very deep water.
We need to keep him much more than that dwarf, Moss the Loss that was drafted 3 years ago and is on the team. If we try to trade that useless piece of crap, we will be lucky to get anything more than a case of beer for him. In any event, throw him out with the garbage. We can then increase our money to sign a man who can play in the NFL.